PDA

View Full Version : Will Konerko Come Back in 2011?

Madvora
09-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Will Konerko Come Back in 2011?

Madvora
09-09-2010, 08:31 AM
Remember this is a different question. I would think he would return. I sure hope so.

Go White Sox
09-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Yea he will

Hitmen77
09-09-2010, 09:37 AM
This is a tough one. His play this year has driven up his value in the upcoming FA market. Plus, the White Sox already have about $50 million tied up in the starting rotation alone.

Paulie is making $12 million now. Is he going to ask for at least as much? If so, I don't know if the Sox will pay that for a person who is going to be 35 next year and most likely won't have another season like this one again.

Frankfan4life
09-11-2010, 05:16 PM
If Konerko was a free agent, we would be trying to get him because he would be just the type of player we need. I don't even want to think of the Sox without Konerko at first base and/or DHing next year.

soxtalker
09-11-2010, 06:21 PM
I think that the odds are against it -- less than 50/50 chance. It's not because he doesn't want to stay here or the club doesn't want him back. It's just that both sides can probably do better by him leaving.

For Paulie, he can probably get a better contract -- possibly in terms of money and probably in terms of years -- with another team that has a bigger budget.

For the Sox, his salary is a significant percentage of the budget, but I suspect that the real killer would be number of years. We've seen the constraints that the multi-year gambles on Teahen and Linebrink have put on the team (and the howls of protest from us fans). Paulie's salary commitments would be much larger if his production falls off in his late 30's.

Oh, and I think we get 2 draft picks if we offer arbitration and he goes elsewhere.

I'm not looking forward to his leaving. The hitting, defense, and leadership is tough to lose. But it just seems that the odds are against it.

bunty_doghunter
09-11-2010, 06:53 PM
If he runs away, I predict he will do it very slowly.

aryzner
09-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Paulie is one of two players on the Sox who I would love to see finish their careers here (the other is Mark Buehrle).

He is still a valuable player and I'd love to see him back. I think the Sox will make it happen.

konerko 14
09-11-2010, 09:44 PM
I think the Sox give him a 2-3 deal and he finishes his career here.

nccwsfan
09-12-2010, 09:27 AM
He's more important to the organization and this fanbase than he ever would be on another team. Provided he's given a fair market deal for his services I expect him to remain on the team for at least two more seasons. FWIW I really hope he's retained.

NLaloosh
09-12-2010, 09:52 AM
I can't see him leaving. This is probably the scenario that the Sox were hoing for - Paulie having a great year so that they could bring him back legitimately rather than out of sentimentality.

Paulie wants to play here and J.R. wants him here. Those two things are obvious. The Sox have no one to replace him with. I doubt that any team will give him much more than the Sox will. He's a fan favorite (read ticket sales). I'm pretty confident that it gets done. As said before, 2-3 year deal.

WhiteSox5187
09-12-2010, 11:44 AM
I really hope he does, but I can see Kenny crying poor and going with Vicideo at first.

Rdy2PlayBall
09-12-2010, 11:51 AM
I really hope he does, but I can see Kenny crying poor and going with Vicideo at first.When has he done things like this in the past?

WhiteSox5187
09-12-2010, 11:55 AM
When has he done things like this in the past?

Kenny cries poor EVERY year.

Rikirk
09-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Letting PK go would be utterly stupid...
I think he likes it here and he will stay.

Hitmen77
09-12-2010, 02:41 PM
KW makes some comments about wanting Konerko back:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100912&content_id=14573814&notebook_id=14581314&vkey=notebook_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

....but that being said, he also brings up the "revenue stream" issue. I'll be disappointed if the Sox end up saying they don't have enough money to keep Konerko (or bring in an equivalent offensive replacement) and yet they were just able to blow $3.8 million on a failed crap shoot of having Manny save the 2010 season.

soltrain21
09-12-2010, 04:08 PM
KW makes some comments about wanting Konerko back:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100912&content_id=14573814&notebook_id=14581314&vkey=notebook_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

....but that being said, he also brings up the "revenue stream" issue. I'll be disappointed if the Sox end up saying they don't have enough money to keep Konerko (or bring in an equivalent offensive replacement) and yet they were just able to blow $3.8 million on a failed crap shoot of having Manny save the 2010 season.

And, once again, rips on Sox fans for "not showing up." Revenue stream crap. Don't trade for Edwin Jackson for that much money, then. Or Manny if you want to cry poor.

Lundind1
09-12-2010, 06:06 PM
This organization has no choice but to bring him back.

I really believe he is going to finish his career here in some way. Consistent bat, good leader, decent glove.

The question should become, will #14 never be used again one day?

KMcMahon817
09-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Question for someone who is more familiar with the arbitration process than I am:

Paulie makes 12 million dollars this year and if the SOX offer him arbitration after this season, it is pretty much a foregone conclusion that the arbitrators will come up with terms over say 10 million for next year right?

Isn't there some kind of rule that says you can't get a pay cut over 20%, or something to that effect? And really, it's not that he deserves a pay cut after this season, I just don't know if Paulie is worth it at 12 million, especially with all the money we already have committed to next season.

Another question: let's say that the SOX DO NOT offer arbitration out the fear of paying Paulie 12 million next season. Isn't there some kind of rule that the SOX can't negotiate with him for a decently long period of time?

Thanks, I am just trying to refresh myself on how exactly all this is going to work.

And, I really hope they keep him. I love Paulie. :D:

Daver
09-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Question for someone who is more familiar with the arbitration process than I am:

Paulie makes 12 million dollars this year and if the SOX offer him arbitration after this season, it is pretty much a foregone conclusion that the arbitrators will come up with terms over say 10 million for next year right?

Isn't there some kind of rule that says you can't get a pay cut over 20%, or something to that effect? And really, it's not that he deserves a pay cut after this season, I just don't know if Paulie is worth it at 12 million, especially with all the money we already have committed to next season.

Another question: let's say that the SOX DO NOT offer arbitration out the fear of paying Paulie 12 million next season. Isn't there some kind of rule that the SOX can't negotiate with him for a decently long period of time?

The non arbitration time limit was dropped in the last CBA at the insistence of the MLBPA, so teams no longer have to offer arbitration in order to negotiate contracts with non tendered players from their own roster.

downstairs
09-13-2010, 02:59 PM
The question should become, will #14 never be used again one day?

I don't see them retiring his number. He was good for us, but if you're going to retire his number... you'd have to go back in history and retire a ton of "very good" players.

He doesn't mean to the Sox anything near what Baines, Fisk, Thomas, etc. meant.

WhiteSox5187
09-13-2010, 03:05 PM
I don't see them retiring his number. He was good for us, but if you're going to retire his number... you'd have to go back in history and retire a ton of "very good" players.

He doesn't mean to the Sox anything near what Baines, Fisk, Thomas, etc. meant.

Well, he was a key component on a team that won a World Series and he is also second in HRs and RBIs. He's not a HOFer like Fisk and Thomas but he's played a big role in Sox history.

gogo59
09-13-2010, 03:34 PM
And, once again, rips on Sox fans for "not showing up." Revenue stream crap. Don't trade for Edwin Jackson for that much money, then. Or Manny if you want to cry poor.

Absolutely agree. They spent $3-4M for Manny and committed $1-2M for this year and $8.5M for next year to Jackson and, what hurts a lot more, gave up Hudson, a guy they could have had under control at a modest price for the next several years. This isn't all about the revenue stream, as KW says. It's at least as much about his sell-off of his minor league system and wasteful spending on guys like Manny and Jackson.

Harry Chappas
09-13-2010, 03:48 PM

Thanks, I am just trying to refresh myself on how exactly all this is going to work.

And, I really hope they keep him. I love Paulie. :D:

He's worth every penny of $12 million - probably more. Keep in mind that we will be paying Mark Teahen $4 million and if we're lucky, he ends up as a bench player/pinch hitter. $12 million in this day and age isn't all that much for a productive power hitter than hasn't shown any signs of slowing down.

Harry Chappas
09-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Absolutely agree. They spent $3-4M for Manny and committed $1-2M for this year and $8.5M for next year to Jackson and, what hurts a lot more, gave up Hudson, a guy they could have had under control at a modest price for the next several years. This isn't all about the revenue stream, as KW says. It's at least as much about his sell-off of his minor league system and wasteful spending on guys like Manny and Jackson.

We might also think rue the day we handed a boatload of cash to Peavy. I'm not giving up on the deal, but Clayton Richard was pretty good here and he's been great for the Padres. I know hindsight is 20/20, but imagine if we stood pat at the end of last season, hung on to Clayton and didn't trade Hudson, and didn't acquire Ramirez. We'd have a lot more $ to throw around this coming season at not only PK, but also other coveted free agents.

KMcMahon817
09-13-2010, 05:46 PM
We might also think rue the day we handed a boatload of cash to Peavy. I'm not giving up on the deal, but Clayton Richard was pretty good here and he's been great for the Padres. I know hindsight is 20/20, but imagine if we stood pat at the end of last season, hung on to Clayton and didn't trade Hudson, and didn't acquire Ramirez. We'd have a lot more $ to throw around this coming season at not only PK, but also other coveted free agents.

DAVER,

Thanks for the quick response on the arbitration question.

Chappas,

I agree with you to some degree. However, as a fan, you have to love the "go for the gold" attitude KW has as a GM. Picking up a guy like Ramirez could have been a big difference maker, but hey, the Twins just wont lose. Picking up a guy like Peavy could have been a big difference maker this year and for the next few, but hey, he got hurt. Those are things that are out of KW's control, and if those two moves, coupled with the Teahen and Linebrink contracts are the worst he has done, I'll take it.

Sure having cost effective guys like Richard or Hudson in the rotation wouldn't hurt, but I'll still take what we've got going into next year over having Richard and/or Hudson in the rotation.

Having a few extra million to throw at a free agent would be nice, but who is to say that would even happen. The SOX rarely sign big name free agents, and by rarely I mean virtually never. Since I have followed the SOX closely, say 2000 (I was ten) they really haven't had a big name free agent sign. It is nice to have that flexibility to take on a contract like Peavy's, or like Rios' or like Ramirez and if KW just threw cash at free agents, it wouldn't be like that.

GoSox2K3
09-13-2010, 06:40 PM

I agree 100%. First we blow $3.8 million on a "Hail Mary" with Manny and now Kenny is gearing up his "blame the fans" mode for saying why we might not keep Konerko.

Wow! The Sox can commit to almost $5 million for Teahen next year, $3.8 mill. for Manny this year, and about $10 million total for 1.3 seasons of Jackson.....and now it's all about whether enough fans show up to keep Paulie? Un-****ing-believable.

Red Barchetta
09-13-2010, 07:00 PM
...if Paulie hands JR another World Series ending baseball, he's not going anywhere! :cool:

Hitmen77
09-14-2010, 07:07 PM

That's pretty much how I feel. I was okay with them getting Manny with the caveat that as long as the Sox weren't going to cry poor for 2011. But I suppose it was silly to think that was the case. It's not like the extra money they had this year was like a grant that would go away before next year.

That $3.8 million for Manny most certainly could have gone to next year's team. After spending that much on Manny for a 30 game long shot and committing to $4.75 million for Teahen next year, White Sox management has a lot of nerve to even suggest that keeping Paulie (or acquiring some other bat) is up to the fans and whether they can support the team enough.

....and yes, you can also count the approx. $8.3 million owed to Jackson for next year too. But at least that move, while expensive, maybe made the most sense. The Sox were in 1st place at the time and Jackson has a lot more upside on what he can bring to the Sox in 2010 and 2011 than Manny or Teahen.

...if Paulie hands JR another World Series ending baseball, he's not going anywhere! :cool:

The earliest that's going to happen is October 2011.