PDA

View Full Version : Do You Want Konerko Back in 2011?

Madvora
09-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Do You Want Konerko Back in 2011?

ChiSoxGirl
09-09-2010, 09:25 AM
A thousand times YES!!!!!

PKalltheway
09-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Hell yeah!

Craig Grebeck
09-09-2010, 09:30 AM
No.

beasly213
09-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Yep. For a 2 year deal.

russ99
09-09-2010, 09:52 AM
=> $10M a season - no
< $10M a season - yes

And if it's going to cost above $10M to bring back Paul as I suspect, then the Sox should invest that in going after Dunn who's younger (30) has more productive years left and is also the lefthanded OBP machine we need in the lineup.

whitesoxfan
09-09-2010, 10:00 AM
=> $10M a season - no
< $10M a season - yes

And if it's going to cost above $10M to bring back Paul as I suspect, then the Sox should invest that in going after Dunn who's younger (30) has more productive years left and is also the lefthanded OBP machine we need in the lineup.

He's not taking a paycut after the year he's having.

I can only imagine the backlash management will receive if we don't re-sign him. They'd be absolute fools, especially after the Thome thing blew up in their face. PK's still got quite a bit left in the tank.

beasly213
09-09-2010, 10:05 AM

I can only imagine the backlash management will receive if we don't re-sign him. They'd be absolute fools, especially after the Thome thing blew up in their face. PK's still got quite a bit left in the tank.

PK will have to take what the market dictates. Sure he'll try to get as much money as he can. He might even take a home town discount (Although not a big one) But I predict he is right around a 10/10.5 Million dollar guy.

russ99
09-09-2010, 10:09 AM

Would you sign a guy who's 36 coming off a career year to a $15-17M contract? I wouldn't. But some dumb GM probably will.

I'd like to see Paul back, but if he wants that kind of cash, I'd rather see the Sox spend it on Dunn.

If Kenny somehow thinks Thome's situation has any bearing on this decision, he's a worse GM than I think.

asindc
09-09-2010, 10:14 AM

Would you sign a guy who's 36 coming off a career year to a $15-17M contract? I wouldn't. But some dumb GM probably will.

No, they wouldn't be fools, they would be smart. PK is having the textbook definition of a contract year, going back to his post-season statements in October 2009 when he acknowledged he had not prepared himself in the most recent offseasons before this one like he should have. I see him signing for at least two years for at least $10 mil per with some other team and having the "change-of-scenery" bounce. But while I would like to see Pauly back next year, if that's what he will command, see ya.

Go White Sox
09-09-2010, 10:16 AM
It depends i guess

If its a 2yr/16-18 mil yes

But if he wants 3years or more then ten million a season...No

Hitmen77
09-09-2010, 10:34 AM
The problem with not bringing him back is who are the Sox going to replace him with?

Is it going to be a reclamation project picked up off the scrap heap or are they going to go with Viciedo as our starting 1B?

Given that KW in the past has given starting jobs to people like Brian Anderson and Josh Fields, it wouldn't surprise me to see Konerko replaced by Viciedo. Viciedo does have a lot of upside, but I shudder at the idea of him taking over on Opening Day 2011.

russ99
09-09-2010, 10:59 AM
The problem with not bringing him back is who are the Sox going to replace him with?

Is it going to be a reclamation project picked up off the scrap heap or are they going to go with Viciedo as our starting 1B?

Given that KW in the past has given starting jobs to people like Brian Anderson and Josh Fields, it wouldn't surprise me to see Konerko replaced by Viciedo. Viciedo does have a lot of upside, but I shudder at the idea of him taking over on Opening Day 2011.

Konerko's making $12M this year. If he's not re-signed, I expect a quality replacement in the lineup at 1B or another position at a similar salary.

DirtySox
09-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Depends on the price. If signing him to a large contract prevents KW from filling out the rest of the roster, no thanks.

nccwsfan
09-09-2010, 12:05 PM
yes!!!

Hitmen77
09-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Konerko's making $12M this year. If he's not re-signed, I expect a quality replacement in the lineup at 1B or another position at a similar salary.

Most of that $12 million will be gobbled up by raises to players we already have (Jackson, Rios, Peavy, Danks, plus others). Letting him go is not going to automatically free up $12 million to spend on a newly acquired position player.

Of course, none of us knows what JR and KW have in store (increase in payroll? money freed up by not bringing back Jenks?).
All I'm saying is that it's not as simple as letting Konerko go will automatically translate into $12 million to spend on a new position player.

Maybe to answer this question and the other poll question ("will he come back"), I'd ask what it would take to bring him back.
Like you said earlier, is it going to be $10 million? Is he going to want $12 million again? Is it going to be less than $10 million (I doubt it).

g0g0
09-09-2010, 04:43 PM
If the Sox can get him for a decent price, then definitely yes! Let the man retire a Sox captain like he should.

thomas35forever
09-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Yes. The Sox would be stupid to let him walk after the year he's had.

LITTLE NELL
09-09-2010, 05:24 PM
No brainer, resign him.

Rdy2PlayBall
09-09-2010, 05:27 PM
He will be the cheapest big bat the Sox could possibly get.

konerko 14
09-09-2010, 05:28 PM
YES!!!! Who else is going to play first base???

Rdy2PlayBall
09-09-2010, 05:31 PM
YES!!!! Who else is going to play first base???Teahen?

gosh that looks wrong...

kaufsox
09-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Having a great year, been very solid in the field, why not?

bunty_doghunter
09-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Yes of course, unless keeping him somehow makes the team less than it could be. Cost?
You always keep what you have until the available alternative is better.

Crestani
09-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Two years at $15m with incentives...yes. Any more than that, I would really have to think where the money might be better spent.

Pablo_Honey
09-09-2010, 07:25 PM
What is this? How can you all want Konerko back? He clogs bases and is the very definition of station-to-station baseball. He is so unathletic that he is only limited to first base. We need to get ATHLETIC. We need someone who can play multiple positions and give other guys a break. Just let him walk and sign somewhere else.

...In all seriousness, HELL YES! Paulie will never put up another season like this but he should be able to provide solid defense with a decent bat. He, along with Mark, should definitely retire in the Sox uniform.

ghostface36
09-09-2010, 07:26 PM
if you answer no to this i question your allegiance to the sox

Domeshot17
09-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Hell Yes. Paulie earns more of his 12 mil than Buehrle does of his 14.5.

Also, if we trade Konerko, we might actually not have 1 25 home run hitter in the lineup next year. He is about the only thing keeping our lineup from being the worst in the AL

soxfanreggie
09-09-2010, 07:55 PM
He will be the cheapest big bat the Sox could possibly get.

This might be true. I stand by a $20 million/2 year deal with a club option for year 3 that could potentially vest for PK with a finish in say...the top 5 MVP voting for year 1 or the top 10 of year 2?

Daver
09-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Who is the alternative?

WhiteSox5187
09-09-2010, 08:12 PM
As Daver said, who replaces him? And this year isn't an aberration either. He hit 28 HRs with 88 RBIs last year, oh and he's a very solid defensive first baseman. Of course, I wouldn't be shocked to see Vicideo at first next year with Flowers behind the plate in what might be the worst defensive team we've seen in years.

Frater Perdurabo
09-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Depends on several interlocking questions:

1. His price (years and dollars);

2. What is KW's overall 2011 budget;

3. What alternatives are available;

4. If he goes, toward what ends will the savings be allocated;

5. If he stays, to what extent are the Sox able/unable to upgrade elsewhere?

Rdy2PlayBall
09-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Hell Yes. Paulie earns more of his 12 mil than Buehrle does of his 14.5.

Also, if we trade Konerko, we might actually not have 1 25 home run hitter in the lineup next year. He is about the only thing keeping our lineup from being the worst in the ALIf we took away ALL of PKs HRs, the Sox would still be 9th in the AL in homeruns, still ahead of Minnesota.

Dub25
09-09-2010, 11:56 PM
Yep. For a 2 year deal.

Yes

Dub25
09-10-2010, 12:09 AM

I'd like to see Paul back, but if he wants that kind of cash, I'd rather see the Sox spend it on Dunn.

If Kenny somehow thinks Thome's situation has any bearing on this decision, he's a worse GM than I think.

Ummm... unless I'm not understanding this, PK is 34, not 36.

JB98
09-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Ummm... unless I'm not understanding this, PK is 34, not 36.

He is 34. He'll be 35 on Opening Day 2011.

I think the Sox have to bring him back. If not him, then who? There certainly isn't anyone in the farm system capable of playing first base and replacing even half of Konerko's production.

Dub25
09-10-2010, 12:15 AM
He is 34. He'll be 35 on Opening Day 2011.

I think the Sox have to bring him back. If not him, then who? There certainly isn't anyone in the farm system capable of playing first base and replacing even half of Konerko's production.

I agree. 2 yr deal with a possible club option for a 3rd.

Nelfox02
09-10-2010, 12:26 AM
Of course, I wouldn't be shocked to see Vicideo at first next year with Flowers behind the plate in what might be the worst defensive team we've seen in years.

I wouldnt be surprised either....how sad. At least if they did that the message is loud and clear despite any bull**** posturing that KW or Ozzie put out at SoxFest: The 2011 Sox have zero interest in winning a pennant, dont waste your time sox fans.

Echoing everyone else sentiments about being all for bringing Konerko back at a fair price, but in addition to him the Sox also obviously need another bat in this line up.......who? I have not done a ton of homework on the FA market for next year but after Dunn and Crawford, are there any solid hitters even out there? Pena? Not sure if that is the option to put us over the top.

Pablo_Honey
09-10-2010, 01:08 AM
I wouldnt be surprised either....how sad. At least if they did that the message is loud and clear despite any bull**** posturing that KW or Ozzie put out at SoxFest: The 2011 Sox have zero interest in winning a pennant, dont waste your time sox fans.

Echoing everyone else sentiments about being all for bringing Konerko back at a fair price, but in addition to him the Sox also obviously need another bat in this line up.......who? I have not done a ton of homework on the FA market for next year but after Dunn and Crawford, are there any solid hitters even out there? Pena? Not sure if that is the option to put us over the top.
Obviously, going with two rookies with question marks all over the place is throwing in a towel before the season even begins but at the same time, like you said, there really aren't that many FAs within our price range that would make a difference for this team. So option 1 is to shed salaries and throw in towel early and option 2 is to pile on salaries but either pick up more affordable marginal talents or trade away other pieces. Kenny can't really win either way. IMHO, I really wish the Sox would go with option 1. We wouldn't have to worry about being dragged down by expensive contracts in nearby future, and we get to see what we've got in our prospects (One of the darts has got to hit the board at some point). Contention is great and all, but I'd rather see a franchise that can constantly churn out a strong winning team that can be sustained for a while because it was built from within.

gogosox675
09-10-2010, 02:22 AM
Emotionally, of course I want him back. If he doesn't cost too much, there's no question he needs to be back next year.

Frater Perdurabo
09-10-2010, 07:21 AM
What if the Angels offer 4 years @ 60 million? Should the Sox match?

Nelfox02
09-10-2010, 09:04 AM

I wouldnt........I would not want more two years of PK gauranteed, could live with a club option for a third year........

Craig Grebeck
09-10-2010, 09:39 AM
No. I would rather bring back Manny at DH and punt on having a good first baseman. Yes, the offense would be where it was in 2010, but the rotation will be better, and we might expect better production from Beckham (and better defense when Morel inevitably takes the 3B job in spring).

What do you think Frater?

beasly213
09-10-2010, 09:46 AM

Nope. But I don't think Konerko is looking for a 4 year deal either. He has said he only is looking to play a couple more years anway. I'm thinking two years for 10.5 per.

aryzner
09-10-2010, 10:46 AM
So do the "Re-sign Paulie" chants start tonight, then?

FarmerAndy
09-10-2010, 10:56 AM

That's exactly what Dunn was looking for from the Nats. I'm just sayin'.

I couldn't answer the poll question, because it's not a simple yes or no. Circumstances are everything.

I like Paulie, and it'd be nice to have him around a little longer. But if somehow Kenny could land a proven, productive bat who is younger, I'd be all for it.

Konerko is having the best season of his career at 34. Chances of him repeating this are slim. I'm sure he'll still be productive enough. But this good? I doubt it. I wouldn't go more than 2 years on him. He will decline, and do you still want him under contract with the Sox when the wheels start to fall off? 2 years wouldn't lock the Sox up too much, though. I'd do it.

asindc
09-10-2010, 11:18 AM
That's exactly what Dunn was looking for from the Nats. I'm just sayin'.

I couldn't answer the poll question, because it's not a simple yes or no. Circumstances are everything.

I like Paulie, and it'd be nice to have him around a little longer. But if somehow Kenny could land a proven, productive bat who is younger, I'd be all for it.

Konerko is having the best season of his career at 34. Chances of him repeating this are slim. I'm sure he'll still be productive enough. But this good? I doubt it. I wouldn't go more than 2 years on him. He will decline, and do you still want him under contract with the Sox when the wheels start to fall off? 2 years wouldn't lock the Sox up too much, though. I'd do it.

I think I understand your point, but if you hate the idea of Viciedo at 1B next year or Teahen at 3B this year, you would really hate seeing Dunn at 1B, believe me.

soxfanatlanta
09-10-2010, 12:47 PM
If he performs like this season, hell yeah!

SOXSINCE'70
09-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Yes.
But a 5 year deal isn't happening, IMO.
Konerko may give a "home town discount",
but the deal could be for 2 years with a third year option.

Forget his bat. Think of how his ability to scoop throws out of
the dirt has saved Alexi many errors.:cool:

Foulke You
09-10-2010, 02:31 PM
I want Konerko back for his defense just as much as his offense. He saves a lot of errors by picking throws out of the dirt. This team can't afford to downgrade on defense anymore. If they replace Paulie at 1B, they need a guy who can defend well and pick it at 1B. I don't think Dunn or Viciedo are the guys for that job.

ghostface36
09-10-2010, 04:48 PM
i enjoy advanced stats but i never understand why they make konerko look so bad whens he average in the field

wassagstdu
09-10-2010, 05:33 PM
I want Konerko back for his defense just as much as his offense. He saves a lot of errors by picking throws out of the dirt. This team can't afford to downgrade on defense anymore. If they replace Paulie at 1B, they need a guy who can defend well and pick it at 1B. I don't think Dunn or Viciedo are the guys for that job.

Agree 100%. I think it would be hard to overestimate how much better Konerko makes the infield defense by giving the other infielders confidence that they don't have to throw a strike.

cards press box
09-10-2010, 06:15 PM
No.

No. I would rather bring back Manny at DH and punt on having a good first baseman. Yes, the offense would be where it was in 2010, but the rotation will be better, and we might expect better production from Beckham (and better defense when Morel inevitably takes the 3B job in spring).

So, would your plan be Manny at DH, Morel at 3B and Viciedo at 1B? If the Sox could get a decent lefty hitting first basemen to add to the mix (Adam LaRoche?), the Sox would have some depth, could spell Manny occasionally and would have a lefty alternative to Viciedo.

How about catcher? Should the Sox bring back AJ? If not, who are the possible replacements?

Zisk77
09-10-2010, 06:41 PM
So, would your plan be Manny at DH, Morel at 3B and Viciedo at 1B? If the Sox could get a decent lefty hitting first basemen to add to the mix (Adam LaRoche?), the Sox would have some depth, could spell Manny occasionally and would have a lefty alternative to Viciedo.

How about catcher? Should the Sox bring back AJ? If not, who are the possible replacements?

I wouldn't mind sign aj to a one or 2 yr deal and signing Victor Martinez as a FA to catch when we are facing a lhp, play 1b some and Paulie (if we re-sign him) Dh, and be the DH the rest of the way. V. Mart can hit, but he is a bad catcher.

soxfanreggie
09-10-2010, 07:42 PM

For that contract offer? No.

Actual chances he gets offered that? Very, very little chance.

Frater Perdurabo
09-10-2010, 09:00 PM

Since you asked, if money is available to sign Paulie, I'd rather use it to sign Carl Crawford. Put Crawford in right, Quentin to DH full time, and keep Pierre in left. Viciedo can play first. This lineup wouldn't lead the league in homers, but I bet it would lead the league in doubles, triples and stolen bases, and probably would score a ton of runs. Plus, that stout defense plus the outstanding rotation would probably keep opponents from scoring many runs.

LF Pierre
SS Alexei
RF Crawford
CF Rios
DH Quentin
1B Viciedo
C AJ
2B Beckham
3B Morel

Bench: Teahen (1B, DH, 3B, RF, LF), Vizquel (SS, 2B, 3B), Castro (C), Jones (CF, RF, LF)

sullythered
09-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Since you asked, if money is available to sign Paulie, I'd rather use it to sign Carl Crawford. Put Crawford in right, Quentin to DH full time, and keep Pierre in left. Viciedo can play first. This lineup wouldn't lead the league in homers, but I bet it would lead the league in doubles, triples and stolen bases, and probably would score a ton of runs. Plus, that stout defense plus the outstanding rotation would probably keep opponents from scoring many runs.

LF Pierre
SS Alexei
RF Crawford
CF Rios
DH Quentin
1B Viciedo
C AJ
2B Beckham
3B Morel

Bench: Teahen (1B, DH, 3B, RF, LF), Vizquel (SS, 2B, 3B), Castro (C), Jones (CF, RF, LF)

That lineup looks pretty damn good, but I think Detroit is going to offer Crawford the moon.

WhiteSox5187
09-10-2010, 09:48 PM
That lineup looks pretty damn good, but I think Detroit is going to offer Crawford the moon.

I'm fairly certain Crawford is going to be wearing Yankee pinstripes next year.

Zisk77
09-10-2010, 10:55 PM

LF Pierre
SS Alexei
RF Crawford
CF Rios
DH Quentin
1B Viciedo
C AJ
2B Beckham
3B Morel

I love Crawford but:

The Yankees will sign him

He has a left field arm not a rf arm.

That tattoo on his neck looks like a sperm cell (not sure why thats significant, just saying):scratch:

Tragg
09-11-2010, 05:05 PM
You have to line up 1B, RF and really LF and see what's available out there.
Usually there are more capable 1B out there. That said, getting, say, Kotsay-like production out of 1B next year would be a disaster. You can't punt the position.

As for Manny, how's he looked swinging he bat?

Frankfan4life
09-12-2010, 12:22 AM

I can only imagine the backlash management will receive if we don't re-sign him. They'd be absolute fools, especially after the Thome thing blew up in their face. PK's still got quite a bit left in the tank.Enough said! Just sign him up and get it over with already.

Rikirk
09-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Your kidding right?

Oh hell yeah.

ChiSox81
09-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Absolutely I don't want to imagine how bad the offense would be without him.

Lundind1
09-12-2010, 07:02 PM
He has been Mr. Consistent this year and for a better part of the last 6. He had the hand injury a few years ago, but even those numbers were not horrible.

I just don't know how you could justify saying you DON'T want him back. He is the backbone of this team. Today really proved that. This and he really has an above average glove at 1B too.