PDA

View Full Version : Hoffman, 600 Saves

Dub25
09-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Wow, is this reaching Cy Young levels? Meaning, will someone break the record because no one is going to reach 511 wins.

soxfanreggie
09-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Wow, is this reaching Cy Young levels? Meaning, will someone break the record because no one is going to reach 511 wins.

With how long a closer that good would have to pitch, it would be very tough to break the record. The situation that starters are in now: pitching less games, having pitch counts, etc. doesn't set up a pitcher with a realistic shot at 511. I'm not sure the situation for closers provides a good shot, but I'd take breaking 600 saves before breaking 511 wins.

Congrats Trevor on a great accomplishment!

Dub25
09-07-2010, 11:26 PM
With how long a closer that good would have to pitch, it would be very tough to break the record. The situation that starters are in now: pitching less games, having pitch counts, etc. doesn't set up a pitcher with a realistic shot at 511. I'm not sure the situation for closers provides a good shot, but I'd take breaking 600 saves before breaking 511 wins.

Congrats Trevor on a great accomplishment!

A friend of mine brought up Mariano. Even if Mariano caught him, I guess my point would be could a new kid starting now or in the past few years like a Papelbon break the record?

Jpgr91
09-07-2010, 11:52 PM
A friend of mine brought up Mariano. Even if Mariano caught him, I guess my point would be could a new kid starting now or in the past few years like a Papelbon break the record?

Papelbon is too old, I think he is 30. The way baseball is now not too many 23, 24, 25 year old kids are given closers job. Usually the elite arms are not wasted in the bullpen and the mediocre arms don't have the stuff to consistently close out games. The only chance someone has to break the record would be to acidently find themselves in the closers role and do so well that management would not want to move them, sort of like Neftali Feliz did this year.

Either way, this record has a lot better chance of being broken than the win record.