PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Well that sucked, Tigers 9, Sox 1 Postgame Loss Therapy Thread

Frater Perdurabo
09-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Disgust

SephClone89
09-07-2010, 08:59 PM
What are you all so pissed about?

Dayan Viciedo just drew a walk!

Craig Grebeck
That was hardly unexpected. We knew it would be an uphill climb. Go get 'em next time.

Thanks for everything Freddy.

Frater Perdurabo
Any positives from tonight?

Viciedo takes a walk?

JB98
Nothing went right in this game. Shrug it off and start a new winning streak tomorrow.

Frater Perdurabo
09-07-2010, 09:00 PM
That was hardly unexpected. We knew it would be an uphill climb. Go get 'em next time.

Thanks for everything Freddy.

What happened to Freddy?

It's Dankerific
09-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Hard to be too pissed off in a 7-1 road trip.

I certainly prefer a good beating to a blown save or something.

Foulke You
09-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Sox just need to forget this one and finish up the road trip strong. I didn't think they were going to go 10W-0L on this trip. Freddy going down again with back trouble is very bad...Manny going down could be catastrophic. Just got to hope for the best at this point.

Craig Grebeck
What happened to Freddy?
He was bad. The four-man rotation is not out of the question.

thomas35forever
We couldn't keep up that winning streak but boy, was that bad.

bunty_doghunter
Blame it on the Wimperoo.

Frater Perdurabo
09-07-2010, 09:02 PM
How many more times are the Sox going to get nailed by opposing pitchers before they sack up and do something about it?

SephClone89
09-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Hard to be too pissed off in a 7-1 road trip.

I certainly prefer a good beating to a blown save or something.

For once, I very much agree with you.

DumpJerry
09-07-2010, 09:03 PM
What happened to Freddy?
His back is still bothering him. He won't be a starter next year, Sale is #5

SephClone89
How many more times are the Sox going to get nailed by opposing pitchers before they sack up and do something about it?

What does this even mean?

LongLiveFisk
Blame it on the Wimperoo.

:hawk

"It wasn't Wimpy's presence. It was MY absence that caused this loss."

ChiSoxGirl
09-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Tonight was putrid. That is all. And, as per usual, the rat bastards up north keep right on winning. Let's start a new winning streak tomorrow!

SephClone89
09-07-2010, 09:04 PM

...And Peavy/Jackson?

guillensdisciple
09-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Eh, just keep on winning.

BigHurt3515
09-07-2010, 09:05 PM

Peavy, Buehlre, Danks, Floyd, Jackson

tstrike2000
09-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Not much you can do, just became one of those nights once Freddy left early.

aryzner
09-07-2010, 09:07 PM
God damn that rotation sounds fantastic.

DumpJerry
09-07-2010, 09:08 PM

Manny was hit twice in pretty much the same spot. Left the game after the second HBP.

Frater Perdurabo
09-07-2010, 09:09 PM

What this means is that the next time a Sox hitter is hit with a pitch, someone on the Sox - preferably Kotsay so he would get suspened and Ozzie couldn't play him - should charge the mound and throw some haymakers.

Hartman
09-07-2010, 09:09 PM
And the Twins on their way to winning again. I don't think they'll lose again this season.

That is, until the first round of the playoffs.

Soxman219
09-07-2010, 09:10 PM

If it can stay healthy.

VMSNS
Stone/Wimpy combination was fantastic. Great listening. It's funny how Stone has a completely different persona without Hawk (and I mean that in a good way). Take note, Sox administration.

Verlander's stuff was awesome. I'm thankful for Freddie's contribution last season and earlier this season, but he just doesn't seem effective anymore. I'd prefer that he isn't a member of the staff next year.

Get them tomorrow.

SephClone89
Manny was hit twice in pretty much the same spot. Left the game after the second HBP.

Ohhhhh. My bad. I thought he was referring to opposing pitchers dominating us, and wondering when we would start hitting. Apologies.

I'm not at all a fan of retaliation. That's hockey fight garbage. Let the league do its job.

Frater Perdurabo
09-07-2010, 09:11 PM

Yep. And I'd keep Sale in the bigs to be the long reliever/spot starter.

JB98
09-07-2010, 09:12 PM
The HBPs were not intentional, but it does get a little bit old seeing Sox hitters leave the game due to being hit in the hands.

Soxman219
09-07-2010, 09:13 PM
And the Twins on their way to winning again. I don't think they'll lose again this season.

That is, until the first round of the playoffs.

As usual, the Twins will get decimated in the playoffs and waste another AL Central crown unless we do something about it by winning games.

Frater Perdurabo
09-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Ohhhhh. My bad. I thought he was referring to opposing pitchers dominating us, and wondering when we would start hitting. Apologies.

I'm not at all a fan of retaliation. That's hockey fight garbage. Let the league do its job.

I don't like it either. However, at the same time, I think that part of the problem with the Sox is that because they haven't retaliated in such a long time, that opposing teams get away with nailing Sox hitters. Often, an opposing manager (especially Gardenhire) will order an HBP simply to get a warning issued to both sides, so as to make a statement and to take away the inside fastball from a Sox pitcher (especially Danks). For once I'd like to see the Sox turn the tables.

Craig Grebeck
09-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Sale should be in AA.

Brian26
He was bad. The four-man rotation is not out of the question.

If the Sox go to a four-man rotation, you might as well forfeit the season. Our starters are going to be out of gas come playoff time. Edwin is going to be running on fumes pretty soon anyway based on the way Arizona rode him all year, and Ozzie isn't letting up either. Buehrle is always a worry. The bullpen is overworked to begin with, and Sale's already shattered his innings pitched total. Too many bad things looming on the horizon right now from a pitching standpoint...not just for this year, but for next year too.

JB98
I don't like it either. However, at the same time, I think that part of the problem with the Sox is that because they haven't retaliated in such a long time, that opposing teams get away with nailing Sox hitters. Often, an opposing manager (especially Gardenhire) will order an HBP simply to get a warning issued to both sides, so as to make a statement and to take away the inside fastball from a Sox pitcher (especially Danks). For once I'd like to see the Sox turn the tables.

Agreed. Gardenhose knows umpires are quick to issue warnings whenever Ozzie Guillen is involved.

Ozzie is thought of as a "headhunter," although the Sox are annually near the bottom of the AL in batters hit. Meanwhile, our hitters are near the top of the league in HBP.

Brian26
09-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Sale should be in AA.

I know where you're coming from, but he's too good to go back to AA.

sox1970
09-07-2010, 09:22 PM
You gotta use Freddy or a different 5th starter at least 2 more times--9/12 and 9/18. Then they can skip him on the 23rd with the off day, and go with the 4-man if they're still in it.

Frater Perdurabo
Agreed. Gardenhose knows umpires are quick to issue warnings whenever Ozzie Guillen is involved.

Ozzie is thought of as a "headhunter," although the Sox are annually near the bottom of the AL in batters hit. Meanwhile, our hitters are near the top of the league in HBP.

I think Mauer needs to be nailed on the thigh in the top of the first inning in the first game of the upcoming series, just to set the tone.

DirtySox

I also think he should start in AA. He can get promoted if he's dominating. Him being thrown into the rotation next year without some time in the minors is a very bad idea.

ZombieRob
If Peavy is back who is the odd man out?

ChiSoxGirl
09-07-2010, 09:23 PM
I think Mauer needs to be nailed on the thigh in the top of the first inning in the first game of the upcoming series, just to set the tone.

That works for me; knock his ass out of the game!!!! One thing's for sure.... If that happens, the speed of the game will increase significantly, as Baby Jesus won't be walking each pitch back to the mound!

Craig Grebeck
09-07-2010, 09:24 PM
I know where you're coming from, too, but if he is too good to go back there -- which I think is certainly reasonable -- I don't think there's any harm in letting him prove it in April. He needs to be a starter, not a reliever.

Brian26
09-07-2010, 09:26 PM
I also think he should start in AA. He can get promoted if he's dominating. Him being thrown into the rotation next year without some time in the minors is a very bad idea.

He's dominating right now. The only reason to keep him down there would be to stretch him out to become a starter, but I think he's too valuable in his role right now. I also see him easing into the starter's role like Buehrle did in the 2nd half of 2000, and he was ready to go to begin the 2001 season.

Craig Grebeck
09-07-2010, 09:27 PM
He's dominating right now. The only reason to keep him down there would be to stretch him out to become a starter, but I think he's too valuable in his role right now. I also see him easing into the starter's role like Buehrle did in the 2nd half of 2000, and he was ready to go to begin the 2001 season.
But Mark had already shown his ability and value as a starter in the minor leagues. Sale's success as a big league reliever does not mean he will easily slot in as a starter.

doublem23
09-07-2010, 09:28 PM

Danks, Floyd, Buehrle, Peavy, Jackson

doublem23
09-07-2010, 09:29 PM

He's not going to learn how to be a starter if he stays in the bullpen, and he's too good to rot away in the pen.

DirtySox
09-07-2010, 09:29 PM

Yes, he's dominating as a reliever. Long term he is a starter with a very high ceiling. He still needs seasoning as a starter though. I'd rather him work out the kinks in minors versus the majors and out of the pen. The organization outlined that they plan on stretching him out again after this season. I really think he is next year's insurance if someone in the rotation goes down, with a guaranteed spot in 2012.

Foulke You
09-07-2010, 09:35 PM
I know where you're coming from, too, but if he is too good to go back there -- which I think is certainly reasonable -- I don't think there's any harm in letting him prove it in April. He needs to be a starter, not a reliever.
I worry about Sale's durability as a starter with his delivery. He is all arms and legs right now and has a funky motion. I fear a Strasburg type scenario if we try to get too many innings from him. I seem to be in the minority, but I see Sale more as a Matt Thornton-esque top set up man or possibly a Billy Wagner type closer. Just my .02

GoGoCrede
09-07-2010, 09:38 PM
A bad game, and a rather boring one to boot.

Brian26
09-07-2010, 09:40 PM
But Mark had already shown his ability and value as a starter in the minor leagues. Sale's success as a big league reliever does not mean he will easily slot in as a starter.

It's interesting to look at their careers. They are almost on a parallel course, exactly 10 years apart.

Buehrle: born March 23, 1979
Sale: born March 30, 1989

Buehrle: debut July 16, 2000
Sale: debut August 6, 2010

ChiSoxGal85
09-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Not much good to say about today's game, except AJ extends his hitting streak to 14 games. Verlander was tough. Sox pitching was not.

I knew the Sox couldn't win ALL the remaining games on the schedule (although I can dream, can't I?), but I'm disappointed. Especially since the darn Twinks keep winning.

Brian26
09-07-2010, 09:42 PM
He's not going to learn how to be a starter if he stays in the bullpen, and he's too good to rot away in the pen.

I don't see how he is rotting away right now. He's saved this team from being 8.5 games out. Maybe you're talking about next year.

chisoxfanatic
09-07-2010, 09:44 PM
This was a big gut-punch for our playoff hopes since the Twins can't seem to ever lose these days. A sweep is a MUST in next week's series...I just hope our guys can withstand the pressure they've put themselves under.

palehozenychicty
09-07-2010, 09:47 PM
they were due, in a way. hard to be ashamed of beating scherzer, beckett, buchholz, and lackey.

doublem23
09-07-2010, 09:50 PM
I don't see how he is rotting away right now. He's saved this team from being 8.5 games out. Maybe you're talking about next year.

That's what I mean. I'm fine with Sale working out of the bullpen now, but the long-term plans for him have to be a shot at the rotation. He's not going to learn how to do that with another season in the bullpen.

SoxSpeed22
09-07-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm assuming I didn't miss much. We got more out of Freddy this year than I ever thought we would, but he looks done (again).
I think newbie should be in AAA next year. He's great in the pen, but we can handle him the same way Tampa used Price in 2008. He has already shown that he can get major league hitters out, he just needs to add some bulk and refine some of his pitches to become a starter and possibly Buehrle's replacement if he bolts for the Cardinals.

Brian26
09-07-2010, 10:09 PM
and possibly Buehrle's replacement if he bolts for the Cardinals.

:rolleyes:

WhiteSox5187
09-07-2010, 10:23 PM
We have played .800 ball the past ten games and have lost ground, sucks, but oh well. We were going to lose at some point, start again tomorrow.

soxinem1
09-07-2010, 10:34 PM

I'll be honest. I do not like Sale's delivery or mechanics thus far. I do not see him being a starter in the long run unless those two things change.

He's definitely got great stuff, but he is still very raw.

Matt Thornton reminds me of Wilson Alvarez when he was good here An over or near over the top, effortless delivery.

Sale is not very fluid and that is putting it mildly.

Plus, he is very thin. I can see he gained a few pounds since joining the team, but he does not look like he can go through the rigors of a regular rotation yet.

Buehrle is not a good comparison, as he only made a few starts in Y2K, pitched mostly long relief, and became a starter in 2001 because the staff was up a creek. Sale has been thrown to the wolves in almost always key situations. They are also two totally different pitchers, and have been used much differently in each of their respective rookie seasons.

BadBobbyJenks
09-07-2010, 10:37 PM
Well it is crazy to say after winning 7 in a row, but we absolutely have to win 6 in a row when we come home against KC and Minny (maybe even 8 in row counting the last two in Detroit. It is our only shot at this.

Hitmen77
09-07-2010, 10:51 PM
It's interesting to look at their careers. They are almost on a parallel course, exactly 10 years apart.

Buehrle: born March 23, 1979
Sale: born March 30, 1989

Buehrle: debut July 16, 2000
Sale: debut August 6, 2010

So that means we can expect Sale to be on a White Sox World Series winner in 2015 and throw a perfect game for us in 2019. :cool:

hawkjt
09-07-2010, 11:22 PM
Too bad Freddie had to leave. I think he could have found a way to keep the Sox in it at least until they threatened in the 8th...might have put a little pressure on the tigers bullpen.
Little discouraging to see our Plan A and Plan B for starting,ie..Harrell and Torres, get lit up. Errors by kotsay and quentin did not help matters.
Just a bad game. Hope we got that one out of our system.
Good nite to have Gordo and PK sit,it turns out.

Hope Manny is ok. Get'em tomorrow. 24 games is a lot of games.

rainbow6
09-07-2010, 11:24 PM
That works for me; knock his ass out of the game!!!! One thing's for sure.... If that happens, the speed of the game will increase significantly, as Baby Jesus won't be walking each pitch back to the mound!

I don't think anyone who watches the Sox regularly and reads this forum would dispute the following: in game one next Tuesday a Sox hitter will be nailed first.

And our pitching staff will do nothing...

As others have stated, it is not about "intent." I think the Cubs hit Sox batters five or six times in one series this year. It is now common knowledge that the White Sox pitching staff has little if any interest in protecting their own.

If Manny was on the Red Sox or Yankees, someone on the Tigers would have gone down hard tonight. Instead, we will likely be hit again early in the game tomorrow and warned.

Sickening.

Huisj
09-07-2010, 11:26 PM
Just got back from Detroit. I bet I'm now one of the few out there who can claim to seeing Carlos Torres pitch like crap twice in one season--the only other game I've made it to this year was when he pitched like crap in game 2 of the double header in Detroit a month ago. I sure know how to pick 'em.

As bad as that game was, and as much as I wondered why I was keeping a scorecard while it was 6-1, I'm glad I kept at it, because I now have a scorecard that includes Morel's first at-bat, Infante's first appearance, and Viciedo's first walk.

As for Sale, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him start next year in AA. To be a starter, he's going to have to get back to pacing himself. He's not going to operate as a started throwing 96+ mph the whole time like he's been doing out of the bullpen. Give him a decent number of low-stress innings to find the comfort zone as a starter.

cards press box
09-07-2010, 11:43 PM
Well it is crazy to say after winning 7 in a row, but we absolutely have to win 6 in a row when we come home against KC and Minny (maybe even 8 in row counting the last two in Detroit. It is our only shot at this.

It may not be as bad as you think. The pitching matchups tonight were heavily mismatched in the Tigers' favor and the Twins' favor. The next few games look better for the Sox and not as good for Minnesota.

For one thing, the Sox have been on the road and the Twins have been home for a long time -- three series. Just staying near Minnesota has been a chore and the Sox have done well. The are still in striking distance and, don't forget, 16 of the Sox' last 22 games are at the Cell.

What's more, the Sox have Danks and Floyd going the next two days in Detroit. The Sox should be competitive in both games. Minnesota has one game left on their homestand and they have to face Zack Greinke. Minnesota then goes on the road this weekend to Cleveland. The Indians have not announced their starters but the Twins might well face Fausto Carmona, Jenmear Gomez and Carlos Carrasco. All have pitched well lately. And the Sox play KC at home, too (and don't face Greinke). Minnesota could easily lose tomorrow and then lose two of three at Cleveland.

If the Sox can take the next two games at Detroit and have a good series against KC, the Sox could be only a game out when they face the Twins next week.

LoveYourSuit
09-08-2010, 12:03 AM
Twins series = Sweep or go home.

That's it.

cards press box
09-08-2010, 12:45 AM
Twins series = Sweep or go home.

That's it.

It's too early to say that. If the Sox are within two games of Minnesota at the start of the series, then 2 out of 3 would be o.k., too, as that would leave the Sox one game out with 16 left (and 10 of the 16 at home).

October26
09-08-2010, 07:24 AM
It may not be as bad as you think. The pitching matchups tonight were heavily mismatched in the Tigers' favor and the Twins' favor. The next few games look better for the Sox and not as good for Minnesota.

For one thing, the Sox have been on the road and the Twins have been home for a long time -- three series. Just staying near Minnesota has been a chore and the Sox have done well. The are still in striking distance and, don't forget, 16 of the Sox' last 22 games are at the Cell.

What's more, the Sox have Danks and Floyd going the next two days in Detroit. The Sox should be competitive in both games. Minnesota has one game left on their homestand and they have to face Zack Greinke. Minnesota then goes on the road this weekend to Cleveland. The Indians have not announced their starters but the Twins might well face Fausto Carmona, Jenmear Gomez and Carlos Carrasco. All have pitched well lately. And the Sox play KC at home, too (and don't face Greinke). Minnesota could easily lose tomorrow and then lose two of three at Cleveland.

If the Sox can take the next two games at Detroit and have a good series against KC, the Sox could be only a game out when they face the Twins next week.

Thank you for this post. I really appreciated reading it this morning after watching a tough White sox loss last night.

I am disgusted about two things this morning:

1) The Jim Thome Twins just won't lose. :angry:

2) The fact that White sox players continue to get hit by pitches and NOTHING is being done about this. :angry: Ozzie -- do something, daggummit!

ChiSoxGirl
09-08-2010, 07:43 AM
Not much good to say about today's game, except AJ extends his hitting streak to 14 games. Verlander was tough. Sox pitching was not.

I knew the Sox couldn't win ALL the remaining games on the schedule (although I can dream, can't I?), but I'm disappointed. Especially since the darn Twinks keep winning.

Contrary to popular belief, the Sox no longer own Verlander. His career numbers against the Sox are skewed from his first couple seasons in the leage when he was clueless out on the mound against us. Over the last three years, Verlander has made adjustments and figured out our lineup; he downright dominates us. This is why we haven't beat him since like 2007.

I don't think anyone who watches the Sox regularly and reads this forum would dispute the following: in game one next Tuesday a Sox hitter will be nailed first.

And our pitching staff will do nothing...

As others have stated, it is not about "intent." I think the Cubs hit Sox batters five or six times in one series this year. It is now common knowledge that the White Sox pitching staff has little if any interest in protecting their own.

If Manny was on the Red Sox or Yankees, someone on the Tigers would have gone down hard tonight. Instead, we will likely be hit again early in the game tomorrow and warned.

Sickening.

No doubt about it, and it sickens me as much as it does you. I'm sick and tired of watching Sox player after Sox player go down for an extended period of time or remove himself from a game because of being hit by a pitch. When in the hell is it going to be OUR TURN to plunk someone and send a message?! :mad:

This was a big topic on Mully & Hanley around 6 this morning and they feel the same way a lot of us do. Since joining the Sox ten days ago, Manny Ramirez has been hit four different times -- twice in the same game -- and absolutely nothing has been done about it. What if one of those hit-by-pitch instances would've significantly hurt him? $4 million for a rent-a-player who'll spend time on the bench because he was repeatedly hit by a pitch? No, thank you! Talk about wasted bucks!!!

Memo to Ozzie: The time has come for us to retaliate and send a message to opposing teams; ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!! :angry:

Craig Grebeck
09-08-2010, 07:59 AM
And since Manny Ramirez joined the White Sox, we are 7-1. Let meatballs like Mully & Hanley worry about who is "sending a message," let the team worry about making up 4.5 games.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-08-2010, 08:22 AM
I heard this morning on the Score that the Twins' magic # is now 20. Made me sick and angry at the same time.

KC - beat those ****ing guys so we can get a game back. The golden horseshoe has to fall out of their ass at some time, RIGHT?????

Craig Grebeck
09-08-2010, 08:33 AM
It is what it is. They are an extremely well-constructed team, and have sustained themselves even in the absence of Justin Morneau. Kudos to them, should they pull it off.

whitesoxfan
09-08-2010, 08:40 AM

Yep. I was expecting a loss last night with the pitching matchup and after Freddy threw two pitches, I knew we were in for a long night.

We have to win the next eight, as scary as that sounds.

soltrain21
09-08-2010, 09:21 AM
I heard this morning on the Score that the Twins' magic # is now 20. Made me sick and angry at the same time.

KC - beat those ****ing guys so we can get a game back. The golden horseshoe has to fall out of their ass at some time, RIGHT?????

We are 28-30 against our division. Enough with the "Twins are lucky" stuff.

Hitmen77
09-08-2010, 09:32 AM

Yes, that sounds like a great rotation. If Peavy is healthy, I can't wait to see them in action in 2011.
.....I just hope the Sox put together a good enough lineup and bullpen to go with those guys.

jdm2662
09-08-2010, 10:31 AM
We are 28-30 against our division. Enough with the "Twins are lucky" stuff.

Yeah, this **** needs to end. The Twins dominate the division every year, which is why they are always in contention. Yes, they suck against the likes of the Yankees, but they don't play them 18 times a year. In 2005, the Sox won the division because, waiting for it, they dominated the Central. Going 14-5 against the second place team usually helps your cause.

Nelfox02
09-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Yes, that sounds like a great rotation. If Peavy is healthy, I can't wait to see them in action in 2011.
.....I just hope the Sox put together a good enough lineup and bullpen to go with those guys.

whoa, deja vu

I think I said pretty much this exact same thing numerous times as last season ended when discussing the prospects for 2010.......

Hitmen77
09-08-2010, 02:38 PM

I agree. Going into yesterday's game, that looked like the most likely for us to lose this series while KC continues to roll over for Minnesota.

Unfortunately we're running out of time. We go 7-1 and don't gain a game? Dang. That's tough. The Sox really have to go on a tear from here on out because Minn. just keeps rolling vs. teams like Texas and KC.

Hitmen77
09-08-2010, 02:40 PM
whoa, deja vu

I think I said pretty much this exact same thing numerous times as last season ended when discussing the prospects for 2010.......

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

DickAllen72
09-08-2010, 05:09 PM
The HBPs were not intentional, but it does get a little bit old seeing Sox hitters leave the game due to being hit in the hands.
I think it's a matter of opposing managers telling their pitchers to pitch the Sox hitters inside and don't worry about hitting them because they never do anything about it anyway. Again, not that they are being told to throw at the Sox' batters or to hit them on purpose, but don't hesitate to continually throw way inside because if you do hit them, fine.

Guillen and his big mouth/no action on retaliation over the past years have put the Sox in this position. By talking too much he had the umpires just looking for the Sox to hit opposing players. Now they've come to the point where the Sox' hitters are the second most hit and their pitchers are the second lowest in hitting opposing batters.

And LOL at Carlos Torres! He was trying to hit Casper Wells and winds up hitting the ump in the collar bone instead. I've grown to really dislike Torres. I hope they keep him around the rest of this season just to use as a sacrificial lamb to eat up innings in the event (hopefully never happens) of another blowout instead of using a useful pitcher. But I hope he never pitches in a White Sox uniform again after this season.

soxinem1
09-08-2010, 05:16 PM
The golden horseshoe has to fall out of their ass at some time, RIGHT?????

Yes. Beginning around October 4, 2010.