PDA

View Full Version : Garland

Fisk72
06-27-2002, 02:42 PM
Is it just me or is Jon Garland finally looking like the pitcher he's been made out to be? I know that when it's his turn to pitch, I'm feeling really good about a win - pretty close to how I feel when Buehrle is up. He's only about 22/23, so it makes sense that he's struggled a bit the past few years. But ya know what? Kip Wells is just about the same age. It just sickens me to think that we'd have another decent starter this year if KW didn't give up on Kip (get rid of two other quality starters, too) and let him mature another year. I'm not sure how long we're committed to Richie, but I'd rather see him go and eat up his contract than watch us flounder with him in the rotation. Ok, I'm off my soapbox now. :)

Randar68
06-27-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Fisk72
Is it just me or is Jon Garland finally looking like the pitcher he's been made out to be? I know that when it's his turn to pitch, I'm feeling really good about a win - pretty close to how I feel when Buehrle is up. He's only about 22/23, so it makes sense that he's struggled a bit the past few years. But ya know what? Kip Wells is just about the same age. It just sickens me to think that we'd have another decent starter this year if KW didn't give up on Kip (get rid of two other quality starters, too) and let him mature another year. I'm not sure how long we're committed to Richie, but I'd rather see him go and eat up his contract than watch us flounder with him in the rotation. Ok, I'm off my soapbox now. :)

Kip would probably not be pitching like he is now, if he were still here...mostly because you know who is still here...

ode to veeck
06-27-2002, 02:58 PM
Kip would probably not be pitching like he is now, if he were still here...

I'm not sure I buy that, as Kip showed some signs of maturing into a decent pitcher last year from about May to July, then dropped off again late in the year, Nardi notwithstanding, so he would've done at least similar again this year--more than I can say for Ritchie at this point

All and all you have to consider the Ritchie trade a total bust at this point for what we've gotten so far, and even worse, depleted the Sox of some potential useful young arms, guys who had already made substantial contributions here and there over last year or so

hold2dibber
06-27-2002, 03:02 PM
Even if you assume that K. Wells and Fogg wouldn't have had this level of success w/the Sox cuz of Nardi, you still would think that KW could have gotten more for those guys than Ritchie. Off the top of my head, maybe Daal or Odalis Perez or somebody with some serious upside. Don't get me wrong, I still think Ritchie will come around and be a decent pitcher, but I think we could have gotten more for all those guys.

Randar68
06-27-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Even if you assume that K. Wells and Fogg wouldn't have had this level of success w/the Sox cuz of Nardi, you still would think that KW could have gotten more for those guys than Ritchie. Off the top of my head, maybe Daal or Odalis Perez or somebody with some serious upside. Don't get me wrong, I still think Ritchie will come around and be a decent pitcher, but I think we could have gotten more for all those guys.

As much as nobody wanted him here, there was a lot of Pedro Astacio talk the past couple of years...

CerberusWG
06-27-2002, 03:56 PM
I would have LOVED to see Astacio on the South Side. His stuff is just nasty.

Jerry_Manuel
06-27-2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
As much as nobody wanted him here, there was a lot of Pedro Astacio talk the past couple of years...

When he was with the Rockies, they wanted Kip and Garland for him.

delben91
06-27-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

When he was with the Rockies, they wanted Kip and Garland for him.

:KW
"Ok, how about I throw in Rauch and Crede too, and you give me some guy named Berry too..."

(So the joke is overplayed, deal with it)

GO SOX :gulp: