PDA

View Full Version : If the Sox DO win the Central..what will be the main reasons why??

voodoochile
09-07-2010, 02:08 AM
Pitching?

Manny?

Kotsay?

Walker and the incredible job he's done turning the offense around these past few months?

Coop and his work with Jackson, Santos, Garcia and others?

Cora for the great job he's done with Ramirez and Beckham?

The incredible way Ozzie has managed to get the most from pieces that many thought were trash?

KW for having the foresight to sign Jones who's quietly putting up some solid power numbers in limited at bats?

Linebrink? Lillibeast (Rawr)?

Jenks for fighting through so many issues and still continuing to fight?

Because the Twinkies are what again?

Other?

BNLSox
09-07-2010, 02:20 AM
KW for giving the team one more week to prove themselves . . .

Konerko for having a MONSTER year . . .

The Red Sox for allowing us to leave base runners stranded all day and then somehow coughing up the lead to give us massive confidence . . .

ilsox7
09-07-2010, 02:39 AM
Wsi.

Boondock Saint
09-07-2010, 02:54 AM
Gotta give credit to Konerko for keeping the team from drowning in April and May.

kufram
09-07-2010, 03:47 AM
For all the reasons listed above... and for only one reason.... NONE of the team or management gave up, not even when it looked like they had.

whitesox4eva
09-07-2010, 03:52 AM
....because the White Sox are perpetual winners? :tongue:

Irishsoxfan
09-07-2010, 05:08 AM
This thread is much more like it! Probably a combination of all the reasons listed in the first post but above all, the total refusal to lay down when the record could excuse it. Perhaps that is because of the personalities brought into the team, or kept rather than pure statistical credentials (Kotsay, Omar, Jones etc.). We lose Peavy so get Jackson, we need a DH for the stretch so we get Ramirez, so far solid moves. I wasn't sold on Manny but so far he has produced AND kept his nose out of trouble.

Frater Perdurabo
09-07-2010, 06:05 AM
If the Sox win the division given where they are now, it's because the Twins will have choked.

SOXSINCE'70
09-07-2010, 06:12 AM
Gotta give credit to Konerko for keeping the team from drowning in April and May.

Alex Rios has hit consistantly since April as well.

kufram
09-07-2010, 06:42 AM
It doesn't take a choke to lose 3 1/2 games over 3 weeks if the White Sox win 7 or 8 out of ten, which they have done at least 3 times now I think. It just needs the Twins to lose a couple soon. That is not choking.

fox23
09-07-2010, 06:54 AM
Because they win more games this season than anyone else in their division.

Madvora
09-07-2010, 07:31 AM
Konkero, Rios, Vizquel, Alexei and and great pickup of Edwin Jackson to replace Jake Peavy.

soxfanatlanta
09-07-2010, 07:40 AM
Because they are good enough

Craig Grebeck
09-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Second-half offense and first 60% of the year bullpen.

Johnny Mostil
09-07-2010, 08:08 AM
Wsi.

I'd like to think so, but the real answer will be . . . churros!

GoGoCrede
09-07-2010, 08:23 AM
June.

Rdy2PlayBall
09-07-2010, 08:29 AM
June.July always gets overlooked
18-8, against AL teams as well...
They took over 1st in July. The only downside is that it's the month they let the Twins back in it.

Anyway, if they do win it, it will be because September.

hawkjt
09-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Refusal to give up, to quit. Heart,guts,and talent. Great combo.
oh,and Paul Konerko.

whitesoxfan
09-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Not losing again.

voodoochile
09-07-2010, 10:34 AM
It doesn't take a choke to lose 3 1/2 games over 3 weeks if the White Sox win 7 or 8 out of ten, which they have done at least 3 times now I think. It just needs the Twins to lose a couple soon. That is not choking.

Just to be picky, there's still close to 4 weeks of baseball left.

WhiteSox5187
09-07-2010, 10:36 AM
It will be because of pitching, pitching, pitching, pitching.

TDog
09-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Signing Omar Vizquel during the off-season turned out to be huge, and I don't think anyone saw that coming.

Trading for Edwin Jackson to replace Peavy was bigger than acquiring Manny Ramirez, but if the Sox win the division, the Ramirez acquisition will get extensive praise around the country. The Jackson deal will be mentioned. Signing Vizquel may be no more than a footnote.

Hitmen77
09-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Going from a 9.5 game deficit to a 3.5 game lead in about 6 weeks (and going 15-3 vs. the NL during that time).

If the Sox do come back, there will be lots of contributors, but one name I'd like to mention is Chris Sale. No, he wouldn't be the main reason we won, but he has been great for us and helped stabilize the bullpen when it was in really struggling.

Zisk77
09-07-2010, 11:12 AM
- Tony Pena picking us up when we needed it the most and when it looked the bleakest.

- Chris Sale Contributing out of the gate.

- Omar Vizquel

- Lillibridge being the lillibeast instead of sucking.

- Ramon Castro...my God! I know he is hitting mistakes but the pitchers keep making them.:scratch:

- Freddie "smoke & mirrors"

- Paulie having an MVP year.

- great defense up the middle - A.J., Beckham. Alexei, Rios

Oh hell, just blame it on Rios! :tongue:

kufram
09-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Just to be picky, there's still close to 4 weeks of baseball left.

I thought I'd round it down.... well, that's my excuse anyway. I actually don't think the Twins feel a whole lot safer than we do. I have a funny feeling that Mr. Kotsay still has something to say about us winning the division. I know it doesn't make sense, but I think there may be one big moment for him to balance out all the crap he's had to take this year. A Blum moment? A Wise moment?

FarmerAndy
09-07-2010, 11:59 AM
The Twins falter in the final few weeks.

The reality is, if the Twins don't have a little bit of a slump, it doesn't matter how well the Sox do.

FielderJones
09-07-2010, 12:01 PM
The reality is, if the Twins don't have a little bit of a slump, it doesn't matter how well the Sox do.

Not true. If the Sox were to win the rest of their games, they would win the AL Central. Their destiny is in their own hands, without need of help from Twins opponents. I don't know if you consider the Sox sweeping the Twins a little bit of a slump.

soxfan1965
09-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Someone up North is feeling the pressure of the White Sox record, including the late innning comebacks by the Sox flashed on the Target Field board (since the Sox have been playing in the Eastern time zone). This feels like a runner catching the leader at the tape for the win; this is getting fun -> http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/102302004.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUqCP:iUiacyKU7DYaGEP 7vDEh7P:DiUs

GoGoCrede
09-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Someone up North is feeling the pressure of the White Sox record, including the late innning comebacks by the Sox flashed on the Target Field board (since the Sox have been playing in the Eastern time zone). This feels like a runner catching the leader at the tape for the win; this is getting fun -> http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/102302004.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUqCP:iUiacyKU7DYaGEP 7vDEh7P:DiUs

Cry me a river, Gardenhire.

JB98
09-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Pitching.

Every single day, the Sox send a starting pitcher out who is capable of shutting down the opposing lineup. No one has to gripe about fifth starter woes this year.

Also, I'm one of the unpopular asses here who thinks the Sox have a damn good bullpen. Aside from two weeks in August, the relief corps has been solid.

tacosalbarojas
09-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Cry me a river, Gardenhire.Seriously. If they didn't show the highlights or the score, fans would be up in arms about that. Of course, on the flip side, it's not like half the crowd can't find out what's going on via phone technology nowadays anyway. In either case, I love it..

tstrike2000
09-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Not true. If the Sox were to win the rest of their games, they would win the AL Central. Their destiny is in their own hands, without need of help from Twins opponents. I don't know if you consider the Sox sweeping the Twins a little bit of a slump.

All the Sox need to do is win the rest of their games and they win the division? And here I thought it would be a little difficult. :D:

gogosox675
09-07-2010, 01:06 PM
The Sox will win the division because the starting rotation became one of the best in the league. Also, this team is the most resilient one I've seen in a while.

Dibbs
09-07-2010, 01:13 PM
I would have to give all the credit to Mark Kotsay for his leadership ability.

whitesoxfan
09-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Seriously. If they didn't show the highlights or the score, fans would be up in arms about that. Of course, on the flip side, it's not like half the crowd can't find out what's going on via phone technology nowadays anyway. In either case, I love it..

Whenever I'm at the Cell and scoreboard watching between pitches, I usually just check my phone. It's quicker and easier to follow in terms of game situations rather than looking at the out of town scoreboard.

I always get a kick out of it when managers or coaches decide that they're going to turn a specific score off of the out of town scoreboard. It's 2010, not 1990.

khan
09-07-2010, 01:38 PM
I would have to give all the credit to Mark Kotsay for his leadership ability.

What?

No mention of "the fire" and "the passion" by the "Tremendous" Mark Kotsay?

palehozenychicty
09-07-2010, 02:11 PM
The team gelling at the right time combined with the Twins running out of gas. This is what I think will happen.

DonnieDarko
09-07-2010, 02:13 PM
The team gelling at the right time combined with the Twins running out of gas. This is what I think will happen.

Lord can only hope. That's about our only shot, I think, combined with taking at the MINIMUM 2 out of three from them when they come to Chicago. :praying:

thomas35forever
09-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Nancy Faust

ElevenUp
09-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Pure grindiness

NLaloosh
09-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Probably, Karma.

FarmerAndy
09-07-2010, 03:36 PM

WHAT?

I am all but certain that the White Sox will not win the rest of their games.

FielderJones
09-07-2010, 03:46 PM
WHAT?

I am all but certain that the White Sox will not win the rest of their games.

I am all but certain that the Twins will not win the rest of their games. But the point is this: today, on this date, the Sox need no help from any other team to catch the Twins. If all they do is sweep the Twins at home, and keep pace in the other games, they will force a game 163. And if they win game 163 they win the AL Central.

ghostface36
09-07-2010, 04:06 PM
PK
TCM
Manny
G beck
dr. sale
ejax, floyd and danksy

tstrike2000
09-07-2010, 04:32 PM
I am all but certain that the Twins will not win the rest of their games. But the point is this: today, on this date, the Sox need no help from any other team to catch the Twins. If all they do is sweep the Twins at home, and keep pace in the other games, they will force a game 163. And if they win game 163 they win the AL Central.

Let's hope it's as easy as you're making it sound.

Soxman219
09-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Now this is a good thread, keep faith guys, we're not out yet!

FielderJones
09-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Let's hope it's as easy as you're making it sound.

I didn't say it was easy. You've misinterpreted the message. Before tonight, the Sox held their fate in their own hands. Now, they need help from another team.

FarmerAndy
09-08-2010, 10:03 AM
I didn't say it was easy. You've misinterpreted the message. Before tonight, the Sox held their fate in their own hands. Now, they need help from another team.

You do realize that the message was pretty far out there to begin with, right? If one evening can totally change their fate, then I'm pretty sure it wasn't entirely in their hands to begin with.

For all the games remaining, they need to win 5 more games than the Twins. It will require a stumble on their part, and the lack of one on our part. A good chunk of the Sox fate is in the Twins hands, and it was yesterday as well. Does anybody really see the Twins winning 5 games less the the Sox in the final few weeks? Possible, but highly unlikely.

It's not impossible, and I'll keep hoping. But the chances of the Sox making the post-season are extremely thin. That's reality.

FielderJones
09-08-2010, 11:17 AM
If one evening can totally change their fate, then I'm pretty sure it wasn't entirely in their hands to begin with.

You might be pretty sure, but you would be wrong. At the beginning of play yesterday, the Sox needed to sweep the series against the Twins, stay even on all other games, and win the one extra game remaining on the schedule.

As of today, in addition to sweeping the Twins, the Sox need a Twins opponent to win an additional game besides staying even.

That's what I mean by having your fate in your own hands -- not having to depend on the outcome of a game that you are not playing.

doublem23
09-08-2010, 11:33 AM
You might be pretty sure, but you would be wrong. At the beginning of play yesterday, the Sox needed to sweep the series against the Twins, stay even on all other games, and win the one extra game remaining on the schedule.

As of today, in addition to sweeping the Twins, the Sox need a Twins opponent to win an additional game besides staying even.

That's what I mean by having your fate in your own hands -- not having to depend on the outcome of a game that you are not playing.

OK, maybe it was mathematically correct, but it's still a ridiculous point to say that a team 3 1/2 GB with 30 games to play has "it's destiny in its hands."