PDA

View Full Version : Wimpy & Stoney On Tuesday Broadcast

FielderJones
09-06-2010, 10:15 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0907-white-sox-bits--20100906,0,6278634.story

(scroll down to last item)

Steelrod
09-06-2010, 10:24 PM
I am looking forward to this.

chisoxfanatic
09-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Awesome! Now, if he could just re-join Hawk for good, I'd be VERY happy!

thomas35forever
09-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Interesting.

cnw8052
09-06-2010, 10:49 PM
That figures. I'd really like to hear him do the game, but the game is on WCIU :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

DirtySox
09-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Darn. I have class during tomorrow's game. It would be nice to hear some respectable baseball commentary for once. :(:

JermaineDye05
09-06-2010, 10:53 PM
That figures. I'd really like to hear him do the game, but the game is on WCIU :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

I wasn't watching White Sox baseball when he was around so I was interested in checking that out, but alas I also don't have WCIU.

:angry:

Madscout
09-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Or ditch Hawk and keep Stoney. There is nothing better in baseball than hearing Steve Stone talk about baseball...excepting of course actual baseball.

LongLiveFisk
09-06-2010, 11:08 PM
I like Hawk, but this will be good. These two guys are great to listen to and it will be interesting to hear them together. :thumbsup:

mcsoxfan
09-06-2010, 11:21 PM
I like Hawk, but this will be good. These two guys are great to listen to and it will be interesting to hear them together. :thumbsup:

I could live with this arrangement for a little a while...no more than forever.

Madscout
09-06-2010, 11:25 PM
I could live with this arrangement for a little a while...no more than forever.
Time to hijack and nerd out...

Essentially, this statement "no more than forever" essentially means forever mathematically. Simple Induction...1 day < Forever, n days < Forver, and n+1 days < Forever... and so forth.

Gosh, I'm a nerd...:redface:

soxfanreggie
09-06-2010, 11:31 PM
There is nothing better in baseball than hearing Steve Stone talk about baseball...excepting of course actual baseball.

Stoney talking about baseball = :bandance: (happy Soxfanreggie)

Hitmen77
09-07-2010, 10:15 AM

I'd bet that there is no way Wimpy would be doing the Sox telecast tonight if Hawk was anywhere in sight.

I'm setting my DVR to check this out. It should be good.

LongLiveFisk
09-07-2010, 10:19 AM
I'd bet that there is no way Wimpy would be doing the Sox telecast tonight if Hawk was anywhere in sight.

I'm not sure about that. Didn't they make amends?

AnkleSox
09-07-2010, 10:29 AM
I wish this was the regular pairing.

WhiteSox5187
09-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Dammit, I will miss this one. Well maybe it will be on demand.

Hitmen77
09-07-2010, 10:39 AM
I'm not sure about that. Didn't they make amends?

I haven't heard that they did.

whitesoxfan
09-07-2010, 10:44 AM
I haven't heard that they did.

I heard that they did a little while back.

This should be solid.

Hitmen77
09-07-2010, 10:56 AM
I heard that they did a little while back.

This should be solid.

Glad to hear that they made amends. They were a good team in the 90s.

harwar
09-07-2010, 11:06 AM
There is nothing better in baseball than hearing Steve Stone talk about baseball...excepting of course actual baseball.

Steve Stone is the best analyst in the game and i think it's amazing what he brings to the broadcast .. Tom & Steve both have a very similar sense of humor .. looking forward to hearing them ..

FielderJones
09-07-2010, 12:10 PM
I wasn't watching White Sox baseball when he was around so I was interested in checking that out, but alas I also don't have WCIU. :angry:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-23711792297957_2123_257669 + http://media.cymaxstores.com/Images/510/31601-SM2.jpg = WCIU in Geneva

tstrike2000
09-07-2010, 12:19 PM
I would contemplate breaking the law by watching TV in my car if Wimpy and "Stone Pony" were the permanant broadcasters instead of listening to Hawk subtly debate Stone all the time.

Sad
09-07-2010, 12:49 PM

yep

Stone & Wimpy should be interesting... for 1 game...

if it came down to Stone OR Wimpy with the Hawk gimme Stone ANY DAY

#1swisher
09-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Paciorek w/ Stone on Tuesday.
Paciorek w/ Thomas on Wed. and Thurs

Inside the Sox (http://twitter.com/InsideTheSox) twitter

whitesoxfan
09-07-2010, 01:36 PM

Hmm, Hawk and Stone have been having more days off this season (Hawk, especially) than any season I can really recall.

DirtySox
09-07-2010, 01:37 PM

That should be interesting I suppose. I think Frank has been horrible thus far though. Maybe things will be different without him having Hawk to parrot.

WhiteSox5187
09-07-2010, 01:38 PM

Why won't Stone be there on Wed. and Thurs?

Steelrod
09-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Why won't Stone be there on Wed. and Thurs?
Jewish Holiday

dickallen15
09-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Hmm, Hawk and Stone have been having more days off this season (Hawk, especially) than any season I can really recall.
Hawk's brother in law died. Stone gets a couple weekends off a year plus the Jewish holiday per his contract.

slavko
09-07-2010, 03:16 PM
I think they mended relations. They were on together earlier this year, no? At least for a cameo. As far as Hawk subtly debating Stone, what's wrong with that? Makes for good TV. You want a sidekick that's limited to "that's right Stoney/Hawk?"

Tom could be working himself into a job, just like Stoney did.

Some of you must remember the year Hawk was banished when Tom and Rooney did the TV. IMO, Rooney's style was better suited to TV (but he didn't think so). They were a very pleasant listen until Rooney returned to radio.

hawkjt
09-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Tom called in the nite they honored Hawk earlier in the year,and they were fine.

Condolences to Hawk and his family on their loss.

Should be interesting to see how these announcing teams work out.
Tommy is a pro as is Stoney,so that should be plenty smooth.
Frank and Tommy? Mutual admiration society.

I just hope that the Sox win all these games,so that Hawk is not even more depressed as he bids a bro-in-law goodbye.

Bob Roarman
09-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Oh man it was amazing, one of the Sox got hit not once, but twice (both not on purpose) and they weren't talking about it innings later about "needing to get back" or needing to "do something". I couldn't believe it. They explained how he turned into the pitch and Tom made an interesting example of how to teach players how to properly turn away from the pitch and.....that was it. Professionalism exists in the Sox booth, incredible. Stone's not really a play by play guy, but I'll take this duo every game of the season.

SephClone89
09-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Oh man it was amazing, one of the Sox got hit not once, but twice (both not on purpose) and they weren't talking about it innings later about "needing to get back" or needing to "do something". I couldn't believe it. They explained how he turned into the pitch and Tom made an interesting example of how to teach players how to properly turn away from the pitch and.....that was it. Professionalism exists in the Sox booth, incredible. Stone's not really a play by play guy, but I'll take this duo every game of the season.

Aye.

DirtySox
09-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Any more opinions on this evening's broadcast pairing? I wasn't fortunate enough to tune in tonight.

mcsoxfan
09-07-2010, 10:19 PM

Me too. Very professional.

Brian26
09-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Any more opinions on this evening's broadcast pairing? I wasn't fortunate enough to tune in tonight.

It was interesting to listen to, but I'm not sold on Paciorek being in the booth on a permanent basis again. It was odd to listen to Paciorek talk about Manny like he's followed him his entire career, even though he hasn't really broadcast regularly from an AL booth since 1999. Tom got lost a couple of times during the game, most notably when the Tigers scored their 4th run (3rd inning) on a grounder to hole, and Alexei couldn't make the throw in time. Paciorek said he may have had a force at 2nd if the runner was being held better at first, but the Tigers had runners at 2nd and 3rd at that point with first base open.

Hawk-bashing seems trendy right now, so I'm not surprised by the reaction. It's probably that, along with some kind of romantic yearning for younger/better days of the early 90s.

hawkjt
09-07-2010, 11:29 PM

You are making crap up now. Hawk would have said they hit themselves,and that the pitcher was not throwing at them, like he always does when it is that obvious. I have heard Hawk say a million times that ''these guys hit themselves these days''...

Funny how the times that Hawk does take issue with our hitters being thrown at...the players on the field do also..funny how Hawk and the sox players think alike,eh? Maybe because they are pro ball players and know how the game is played? Just a thought.

This game once again proves my point...the announcing team was fine,but I did not care, because the Sox lost and played miserably. Some folks on here seem to care more about the announcing team than the outcome of the game and cannot enjoy Sox wins with Hawk in the booth,but are happy tonite with a Sox loss because of the announcing team...yikes.

cub killer
09-07-2010, 11:41 PM
They did a good job. Stoney is decent as a pbp guy. I liked his joke about 1/2 way to St. Patrick's Day, saying there's also a 2/3 to St. Patrick's Day, 3/4, etc. Haha. He seemed much more relaxed.

DirtySox
09-08-2010, 12:44 AM
Some folks on here seem to care more about the announcing team than the outcome of the game and cannot enjoy Sox wins with Hawk in the booth,but are happy tonite with a Sox loss because of the announcing team...yikes.

What? I'm not seeing that at all. At least not in this thread.

Bob Roarman
09-08-2010, 02:25 AM
This game once again proves my point...the announcing team was fine,but I did not care, because the Sox lost and played miserably. Some folks on here seem to care more about the announcing team than the outcome of the game and cannot enjoy Sox wins with Hawk in the booth,but are happy tonite with a Sox loss because of the announcing team...yikes.

No, not it at all really. All this game proves is that while the Sox gave a valiant effort recently to get back into the race, they're still most likely going to lose that race. You can't keep expecting 6 and 7 game winning streaks to come out of nowhere. They put themselves into a position where they couldn't beat teams like the Royals and Indians on a consistent basis and now need help from them to beat the Twins, which is just not going to happen enough.

I still enjoy watching the games, but slowly as the days pass and the ground between the two teams stays the same or grows wider, I start cutting emotional investment in the season. I'm not gonna kill myself over losses like these to the Tigers anymore. They've had their chances and they've got one more real shot in the upcoming series against the Twins, granted they can keep pace or maybe even gain a game or two until that series. But again, the Sox will be going up against those mighty Royals who have been "going in the right direction" for about a decade now according to some expert. Man that Buddy Bell, mercy, I'll tell you what, he's got this team back on the right track. Oh he's not the manager anymore? Oh they've only finsihed above .500 one time in the last 15 something years? .................................................. .................................................. ......................... And we'll be back.

Meanwhile, ANY game where that guy isn't doing play by play, it automatically makes it a better viewing experience. So in that regard, it was like a breath of fresh air and in no way means a person is happy about a Sox loss. If yearning for an actual play by play announcer is trendy, then fine, I'm the trendiest dude around. I'll take that if it gets someone professional doing the broadcasts and not someone who hijacks them on a regular basis with a constant harangue of absurd notions and/or personal vendettas. I'll borrow another one of his phrases he likes to use when ranting: he's become an embarrassment to the profession.

Go White Sox
09-08-2010, 07:20 AM
Im not a big fan of Tom but I love Steve Stone as a play by play man...

I have to say this is the first year where im getting sick of Hawk. I mean I love the man but i think he needs to step away. His excessive complaining and the unoriginal, corny "Dont Stop Now Boys" makes me cringe a lot

I would like to see Steve Stone and Darrin Jackson (I love DJ unlike most people) call games together eventually but that will probably never happen. Then you can put a new analyst with Farmio in the booth.

whitesoxfan
09-08-2010, 08:38 AM
Stone's a horrible PBP guy, FWIW. Everything sounds so...forced and awkward.

Absolutely love him as an analyst but it's clear that he's not a PBP guy.

hawkjt
09-08-2010, 09:01 AM
One thing that struck me last nite in the intro...Wimpy is old, just like Hawk...I know,no shock,but had not seem him lately and it looks like he has one eye kind of half closed..wonder how his vision really is?

And it also hammered home the fact that Hawk is even older,probably. They both have lost some off of their game, I would say.

The next two games are going to be interesting..and maybe not in a good way,with Frank and Wimpy at the helm. Not going say blind leading the blind,but it could work out that way. Or, it could be fun...I will be tuning in. Bottom line, if Johnny Danks humps up and wins on 3 days rest, it will all be glorious!

whitesoxfan
09-08-2010, 09:33 AM
I remember growing up in the mid 90's and watching Sox games, thinking that Hawk and Wimpy were old then.

So yeah, they're both getting up there in age now.

DirtySox
09-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Stone and Frank might be a trainwreck together the next 2 games. Can't listen in again tonight, so hopefully more thoughts on performance are posted.

#1swisher
09-08-2010, 10:36 AM
How did Paciorek get his nickname "Wimpy"?

TDog
09-08-2010, 10:46 AM
It was interesting to listen to, but I'm not sold on Paciorek being in the booth on a permanent basis again. It was odd to listen to Paciorek talk about Manny like he's followed him his entire career, even though he hasn't really broadcast regularly from an AL booth since 1999. Tom got lost a couple of times during the game, most notably when the Tigers scored their 4th run (3rd inning) on a grounder to hole, and Alexei couldn't make the throw in time. Paciorek said he may have had a force at 2nd if the runner was being held better at first, but the Tigers had runners at 2nd and 3rd at that point with first base open.

Hawk-bashing seems trendy right now, so I'm not surprised by the reaction. It's probably that, along with some kind of romantic yearning for younger/better days of the early 90s.

I didn't have access to television of the game, but the runner was on second base because of a error by Quentin.

It seems an odd pairing, both Paciorek and Stone being color men who sometimes do play-by-play. On television, that might not be a problem, although it might be a detriment on radio. When it was Jimmy Piersall's inning on the radio back in 1977, the game could become impossible to follow.

TDog
09-08-2010, 10:48 AM
How did Paciorek get his nickname "Wimpy"?

It's a reference to Popeye, the cartoon that had a character named Wimpy who would gladly "pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today." When Paciorek was with the Mariners he was a big hamburger guy.

dwitt76
09-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Heard on the score Wimpy and Big Frank are doing tonight's game

Bruizer
09-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Heard on the score Wimpy and Big Frank are doing tonight's game

They said that during the broadcast last night. They'll do tonight's and tomorrow's games. Should be interesting.

dickallen15
09-08-2010, 12:39 PM

I don't think hoping for a little payback is unprofessional at all. Its time the White Sox hit someone back whether their players getting hit is intentional or not. This isn't little league where it would be ridiculous throwing at someone, but at some point, the opposition is going to have to feel a little uncomfortable throwing inside to White Sox hitters because if he misses, maybe one of his teammates will feel the pain. It also may keep the ball outside anther 6 inches and perhaps help the White Sox offense. Right now, you can hit White Sox hitters whenever you want without fear of payback. That really isn't good. White Sox players have been plunked 70 times this season. White Sox pitchers have hit 26 batters.

thomas35forever
09-08-2010, 01:26 PM
It's a reference to Popeye, the cartoon that had a character named Wimpy who would gladly "pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today." When Paciorek was with the Mariners he was a big hamburger guy.
I thought it was because he once got a hamburger while the rest of his teammates got steaks at a restaurant.

LongLiveFisk
09-08-2010, 01:45 PM
I thought it was because he once got a hamburger while the rest of his teammates got steaks at a restaurant.

He was probably too cheap to pay for a steak. I once heard him say during a broadcast, "If you paid for it, it cost too much." :lol:

Nellie_Fox
09-08-2010, 03:46 PM
I thought it was because he once got a hamburger while the rest of his teammates got steaks at a restaurant.That was when he was a rookie on the Dodgers. A lot of his teammates were high-dollar "bonus babies" while he was making squat. They ordered steaks, he ordered hamburgers because it's what he could afford. So, they started calling him Wimpy. He told the story many times when he was with the Sox the first time around.

DirtySox
09-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Frank and Wimpy. How were they?

WhiteSox5187
09-09-2010, 12:30 AM
Frank and Wimpy. How were they?

I thought that Frank was much better with Wimpy than with Hawk.

hawkjt
09-09-2010, 01:10 AM
With such a brutal game,it is hard to enjoy the announcing team,for me.
I agree that Frank seemed more relaxed in his second effort at color.
They repeated the same mantra about the sox hitters refusing to adjust to Bonderman so many times, I wanted to scream at them to call the dugout and have walker command the hitters to adjust.

I will say, with the Sox losing, I did find Wimpy's relentless cheerfulness a bit grating. This was the season going down the drain,wimpy!

RhubarbStew
09-09-2010, 11:12 AM
He was probably too cheap to pay for a steak. I once heard him say during a broadcast, "If you paid for it, it cost too much." :lol:

I heard him say that 1800 times.

whitesoxfan
09-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Wimpy's a much better PBP guy than Stone is. I actually liked him last night.

Frank's excuses, for why we couldn't hit Bonderman, were pretty sad.

ode to veeck
09-11-2010, 11:07 AM

these two would be good as regulars, let hawk go away and play golf in retirement long overdue

Domeshot17
09-11-2010, 11:10 AM
these two would be good as regulars, let hawk go away and play golf in retirement long overdue

You know what I enjoyed. I agree Joe West's crew sucks, but we just didn't hear about it for 3 hours.

Wimpy and Stoney in 2011!

Hitmen77
09-11-2010, 11:16 AM

....and I believe it was way back when he was with the Dodgers.

Steelrod
09-11-2010, 11:21 AM
You know what I enjoyed. I agree Joe West's crew sucks, but we just didn't hear about it for 3 hours.

Wimpy and Stoney in 2011!
Couldn't agree with you more. It was a pleasure. However does Paciorek get the blame for 0-3.

Rdy2PlayBall
09-11-2010, 11:26 AM
I think they should switch roles. Stoney sounds MUCH to awkward when he's acting "excited." It sounds forced, and so does most of his play-by-play does also. He is great when he is not doing play-by-play, and I think Wimpy's voice is actually pretty good for play-by-play. I don't want him to force Hawk into retirement, but I wouldn't mind at all if he became the new play-by-play guy. He uses some of Hawk terms, TALKS A LOT, and just is an all around pretty good announcer. He keeps it interesting, and describes players motions and actions more than their feelings or imaginary thoughts.

Lip Man 1
09-11-2010, 03:43 PM
ML: While I’m thinking of it how did you get the nickname ‘wimpy?’

TP: “That’s from when I was with the Dodgers. I signed with L.A. in 1968 and you look at the guys the Dodgers drafted just that year...Steve Garvey, Bill Buckner, Davey Lopes, Bill Russell, Ron Cey...that may have been the single greatest draft in baseball history. All of us came up together and in the minor leagues we’d eat together. When we’d go out guys would always be getting steak but I’d always order a hamburger so I got that nickname. That’s from the Popeye cartoons, he had a friend ‘Wimpy,’ who always wanted hamburgers.”

Lip