PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Series Pitching Matchup

Eastcoastsoxfan1
09-06-2010, 09:23 PM
The Tribune is reporting that Danks will go on short rest tonight to line him up with to pitch the opening game vs the Twins. John has not stood up as that "ace" stopper or 1st game series starter that we want him to be.

Why not try to get Edwin pitching one of those games. He has been our best starter the second half and even with a battling start today, I am comfortable with him setting the tone in game 1 of that series.

of course he could get blown up and EVERYBODY would want to kill Ozzie, but I think game 1 of that series is gonna set the tone. I wonder if Danks would be even stronger if he was following a win with his start in game 2 and letting Floyd close out the series.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0907-white-sox-bits--20100906,0,6278634.story

NDSox12
09-06-2010, 09:55 PM
The Tribune is reporting that Danks will go on short rest tonight to line him up with to pitch the opening game vs the Twins. John has not stood up as that "ace" stopper or 1st game series starter that we want him to be.

Why not try to get Edwin pitching one of those games. He has been our best starter the second half and even with a battling start today, I am comfortable with him setting the tone in game 1 of that series.

of course he could get blown up and EVERYBODY would want to kill Ozzie, but I think game 1 of that series is gonna set the tone. I wonder if Danks would be even stronger if he was following a win with his start in game 2 and letting Floyd close out the series.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0907-white-sox-bits--20100906,0,6278634.story

I think you are a little confused about the schedule and/or the order of the rotation. First of all, Danks isn't going on short rest "tonight". That will be Wednesday. Next, Jackson pitching the first game of the Twins series doesn't make any sense since he will be pitching on Saturday against the Royals.

Eastcoastsoxfan1
09-06-2010, 10:33 PM
I think you are a little confused about the schedule and/or the order of the rotation. First of all, Danks isn't going on short rest "tonight". That will be Wednesday. Next, Jackson pitching the first game of the Twins series doesn't make any sense since he will be pitching on Saturday against the Royals.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Danks is going to pitch on 3 days rest this Wednesday in an effort to line him up for Minn. The point of my post is, should Ozzie have done something to get Edwin to pitch a game in that series, and also Danks inability to be an ace against Minn this year may give us pause to pitch on short rest and then open the series that Tuesday.

At this point we may need a sweep and the first game will clearly be critical. So is Danks the best person, and why isn't our hottest pitcher making an appearance in that series?

whitesoxfan
09-06-2010, 10:45 PM
It's not an effort to line him up against Minnesota. Somebody has to pitch on three days rest, whether it's Danks or Floyd because of the doubleheader on Saturday.

The Minnesota rotation should feature Danks, Floyd, and either Buehrle or Jackson.

Zakath
09-07-2010, 12:10 AM
It's not an effort to line him up against Minnesota. Somebody has to pitch on three days rest, whether it's Danks or Floyd because of the doubleheader on Saturday.

The Minnesota rotation should feature Danks, Floyd, and either Buehrle or Jackson.

And since Danks threw the first game, it would be more of a strain for Gavin to do the quick turn.

The Minnesota series, if the rotation holds, should be Danks, Floyd, Buerhle.

fram40
09-07-2010, 02:19 PM
And since Danks threw the first game, it would be more of a strain for Gavin to do the quick turn.

The Minnesota series, if the rotation holds, should be Danks, Floyd, Buerhle.

with the day off on Monday - the Sox could go with EJ on Thursday. Rather than Buehrle. I can't imagine skipping Buehrle - but EJ has been our best starter since he got here.

Chez
09-07-2010, 02:33 PM
with the day off on Monday - the Sox could go with EJ on Thursday. Rather than Buehrle. I can't imagine skipping Buehrle - but EJ has been our best starter since he got here.

Jackson has been great, but Buehrle shut the Twins out last time he faced them. Plus most of the Twins' thunder comes from the left side -- I think conventional wisdom says to throw as many lefties as you can against the Twins.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-07-2010, 02:35 PM
God how I wish Peavy was still healthy....Peavy/Danks/Buehrle or Jackson. But then, maybe Edwin wouldn't be here now....who knows....

UofCSoxFan
09-07-2010, 02:54 PM
God how I wish Peavy was still healthy....Peavy/Danks/Buehrle or Jackson. But then, maybe Edwin wouldn't be here now....who knows....

I think if Peavy was around Hudson would have been traded for a bat at the deadline. One silver lining in the Peavy injury is a rotation next year of Buerhle, Peavy, Jackson, Danks and Floyd is pretty sick. You then also have Sale as insurance if Peavy is still hurt or if you want to trade an arm for a bat. If we actually get a real DH to start the year we will be in pretty good shape.

Moses_Scurry
09-07-2010, 03:53 PM
I think if Peavy was around Hudson would have been traded for a bat at the deadline. One silver lining in the Peavy injury is a rotation next year of Buerhle, Peavy, Jackson, Danks and Floyd is pretty sick. You then also have Sale as insurance if Peavy is still hurt or if you want to trade an arm for a bat. If we actually get a real DH to start the year we will be in pretty good shape.

Yes! Re-sign most of the upcoming free agents, add a couple bullpen arms, and add a good DH. I'm pretty excited about 2011. There's no way this team will play dead the first 2 months like they did this year. Not that I've given up on 2010 or anything.

fram40
09-07-2010, 03:59 PM

Peavy is a big "if" for next year given the lack of experience with his specific injury. I'll be surprised if one of the ypunger pitchers is not traded during the off-season - one of Floyd, Danks, or Jackson.

slavko
09-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Peavy is a big "if" for next year given the lack of experience with his specific injury. I'll be surprised if one of the ypunger pitchers is not traded during the off-season - one of Floyd, Danks, or Jackson.

Seems like one "if" makes the other "if" unlikely.

kravdog
09-07-2010, 04:55 PM

im having trouble following this logic... Wouldn't the unknown certainty of Peavy's health require us to retain all of the three mentioned?

Lip Man 1
09-07-2010, 05:03 PM
You would think but a lot is going to depend on the budget Kenny gets to work with and if they want that much of it tied up in the starting rotation. You could see them let Garcia go, trade a pitcher for a bat and bring up a minor leaguer to fill the #5 role.

Not advocating this, just that it could happen.

Lip

Daver
09-07-2010, 05:08 PM
You would think but a lot is going to depend on the budget Kenny gets to work with and if they want that much of it tied up in the starting rotation. You could see them let Garcia go, trade a pitcher for a bat and bring up a minor leaguer to fill the #5 role.

They don't have a minor leaguer that can fill the five role.

fram40
09-07-2010, 05:09 PM
im having trouble following this logic... Wouldn't the unknown certainty of Peavy's health require us to retain all of the three mentioned?

Who says logic dictates the White Sox plans?

Even with Peavy's health being unknown, I expect the Sox to trade a strating pitcher this off-season. Logic be damned.

But last season I was convinced that Beckham would be the third baseman of the future.

cards press box
09-07-2010, 05:13 PM

The Sox are doing the right thing. Consider the lefty hitters in the Twins' lineup: Span, Mauer, Kubel, Thome. Making sure that both Sox lefties start in this series is smart and that is exactly what the Sox have done.

getonbckthr
09-07-2010, 05:38 PM
I have a feeling John Danks is gonna be the man traded in the offseason for someone like Prince Fielder. This is assuming he doesn't sign an extension.

Eastcoastsoxfan1
09-07-2010, 06:15 PM
I hear everyone with the whole "throw lefties at them" but JD has not been automatic to say the least against the Twins. I think it was his start in Minny where he gave up 4 runs in the first inning.

At this point it's mute, but I wonder if any consideration was given to starting your hottest pitcher as opposed to playing the odds.

Either way I think JD is the one who could be pitching somewhere else next year as he will command a ton and doesn't seem inclined to stay here long term. Adrian Gonzalez anyone?

Madvora
09-07-2010, 09:53 PM
A sweep of Minnesota is absolutely necessary for the Sox to stay in this race. I don't know for sure if even that would do it, but anything less and you can throw in the towel for sure.

SephClone89
09-07-2010, 09:58 PM
At this point it's mute, but I wonder if any consideration was given to starting your hottest pitcher as opposed to playing the odds.

:redneck Where's kittle?

UofCSoxFan
09-07-2010, 10:42 PM
They don't have a minor leaguer that can fill the five role.

Chris Sale can't fill in as the fifth starter? Ok.

hawkjt
09-08-2010, 12:36 AM
More importantly and pressing...who can replace Freddy on Sunday vs KC?...if we lose that game, the twins games lose importance.

I suppose Harrell is the only choice. He better get ready and improve from tonites performance.

whitesoxfan
09-08-2010, 09:36 AM
If Peavy makes a full recovery, you have your five with Danks-Peavy-Buehrle-Floyd-Jackson.

I think yesterday was the last that we'll ever see of Freddy. He was throwing 82 MPH fastballs and a back injury for a pitcher, especially during this time of the year, is catastrophic.

Harrell wasn't really that bad either. All of the Tigers hits in the third innings were bleeders and the Kotsay error really put a damper on that inning. I'm fine with him getting the ball during Freddy's next scheduled start.

Foulke You
09-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Does anyone know who the Twins throwing at us in that series?

Bruizer
09-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Does anyone know who the Twins throwing at us in that series?

Liriano, Duensing, and Pavano, according to the Sun-Times.