PDA

View Full Version : Wild Card Situation

getonbckthr
09-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Assuming Boston holds the lead tonight, the Sox will be 6 out behind Tampa Bay. I know that sounds like a lot. However TB still has 7 games against the Yankees and 3 vs Toronto. If we stay hot like we are the Wild Card may become an option.

MarkZ35
09-06-2010, 08:23 PM
With the way the Twinkies have been playing it looks more possible than stealing the division. It's probably much less likely but I don't care as long as we make the playoffs one way or the other.

soxlady8
09-06-2010, 08:24 PM
not the best option , but the Twinkies don't seem to be losing :(
If we can keep winning , and TB gets hit hard with their up coming games , it is feasible ---

sox1970
09-06-2010, 08:28 PM
If the Sox get to 96-66, anything goes. That's 19-6 the rest of the season.

That would mean the Rays go 13-13 the rest of the season, including tonight's game, to tie.

Not impossible. The Sox just have to keep winning, and if they get to 96 wins, they should be real close.

Red Barchetta
09-06-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm starting to eyeball this as well. The Red Sox are only 1/2 game behind the SOX in the WC, so although I want them to sweep the Rays, I would like for them to then have a nice losing streak. I think the Yankees are looking for the knock-out punch as well. Hopefully we will be close to both the division and wild card when it's all over. I for one would like to see the Central have two teams vs. the East.

Imagine this place if the SOX and Twins battled in the ALCS!

getonbckthr
09-06-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm starting to eyeball this as well. The Red Sox are only 1/2 game behind the SOX in the WC, so although I want them to sweep the Rays, I would like for them to then have a nice losing streak. I think the Yankees are looking for the knock-out punch as well. Hopefully we will be close to both the division and wild card when it's all over. I for one would like to see the Central have two teams vs. the East.

Imagine this place if the SOX and Twins battled in the ALCS!
Please god no Twins in the playoffs. I prefer TB, NY and BOS to having to play MINNY

Bruizer
09-06-2010, 08:34 PM
I was thinking the same thing tonight, especially after seeing that Tampa Bay has lost their last two games which were against Baltimore.

oeo
09-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Please god no Twins in the playoffs. I prefer TB, NY and BOS to having to play MINNY

No worries because that would require the Twins to actually win a playoff series.

Sunnydre
09-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Forget about it.

TB isn't going anywhere.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
09-06-2010, 09:24 PM
No worries because that would require the Twins to actually win a playoff series.

I was just about to say..."The Twins can't even win a playoff GAME, let alone a series."

For whatever reason the Sox and Twins met in the ALCS, I would honestly feel confident that the Sox would win...a lot of the Sox players have been there before, while the vast majority of the Twins' players have never made it that far.

RealFan
09-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Count me in as someone who did some analysis of this a few minutes ago before reading this thread. The Rays definitely have a very tough schedule over the next two weeks and then it eases up a bit.

Hey, the Padres just went on a ten game losing streak - let's just finish strong and let the chips fall where they fall.

Hitmen77
09-06-2010, 09:50 PM
6 games to catch them is a lot.

But since the damn Twins just won't lose, this unfortunately might be a better bet than catching Minnesota.

MARTINMVP
09-06-2010, 10:06 PM
I was just about to say..."The Twins can't even win a playoff GAME, let alone a series."

For whatever reason the Sox and Twins met in the ALCS, I would honestly feel confident that the Sox would win...a lot of the Sox players have been there before, while the vast majority of the Twins' players have never made it that far.

That's kind of my line of thinking... or hope.

I also think it would be cool to have an ALCS Central division showdown. Get some national exposure to our Midwest rivalry. The hype and adrenaline would be out of this world.

I also am intrigued to see cold October baseball played at Target Field... of course, only if it involves the Sox vs. Twins.

JB98
09-06-2010, 10:16 PM
I still think the Sox have a much better shot at the division than the wild card.

Never know, though.

OmahaSoxFan
09-06-2010, 10:31 PM
I still think the Sox have a much better shot at the division than the wild card.

Never know, though.

Yep, three games HTH against the Twins will make the difference. At least 2 out of three in that series, if not 3-0, is required by the Sox in that series to keep it close... otherwise the Wild Card could be the only option, and I just don't see a talented TB team blowing it. But you never know, baseball is a strange sport.

whitesoxfan
09-06-2010, 10:46 PM
If we continue to take care of business against Detroit and Tampa falters against Boston, then this becomes a possibility.

WhiteSox5187
09-06-2010, 10:55 PM
In an ideal world the Rays would win the East and the Wild Card would come out of the Central. Imagine the playoffs without the Yankees or the Red Sox!

Rdy2PlayBall
09-06-2010, 11:00 PM
In an ideal world the Rays would win the East and the Wild Card would come out of the Central. Imagine the playoffs without the Yankees or the Red Sox!When was the last time that happened???

Marqhead
09-06-2010, 11:06 PM
When was the last time that happened???

Looks like 1993. The last year before the wild card started.

doublem23
09-06-2010, 11:23 PM
In an ideal world the Rays would win the East and the Wild Card would come out of the Central. Imagine the playoffs without the Yankees or the Red Sox!

That would be awesome, but we're something like 10 games behind the Yankees. NYY and TEX are basically mortal locks, TB is sitting in good shape, MIN is doing just fine, we're down but kicking, and the Red Sox are clinging on for dear life.

Everyone else is DOA.

TDog
09-06-2010, 11:30 PM

I hate the Rays as much as I do the Yankees. The Yankees are better than the Rays (although the Yankees lost to the Orioles today after the Rays lost a series to the Orioles. The Rays can be caught for the wild card. I don't see the Yankees as vulnerable to that sort of collapse.

doublem23
09-06-2010, 11:40 PM
6 games to catch them is a lot.

But since the damn Twins just won't lose, this unfortunately might be a better bet than catching Minnesota.

The Twins can't lose at home, but it has been pointed out they've been very mediocre recently on the road. Let's at least let them get away from Target Field (where, as luck would have it, 12 of their last 22 are) before we declare them universally uncatchable. And as long as those 3 head-to-head games loom out there, this thing isn't over yet.

Keep the faith. Go Sox!

I hate the Rays as much as I do the Yankees. The Yankees are better than the Rays (although the Yankees lost to the Orioles today after the Rays lost a series to the Orioles. The Rays can be caught for the wild card. I don't see the Yankees as vulnerable to that sort of collapse.

What did the Rays ever do? Damn those guys for drafting well, developing well, and otherwise assembling a team "the right way."

I guess their cowbell-waving bandwagon fans are annoying, but that's hardly the team's fault no one in Florida gives a **** about baseball.

Rdy2PlayBall
09-06-2010, 11:41 PM
I hate the Rays as much as I do the Yankees. The Yankees are better than the Rays (although the Yankees lost to the Orioles today after the Rays lost a series to the Orioles. The Rays can be caught for the wild card. I don't see the Yankees as vulnerable to that sort of collapse.WHAT, WHY? The Rays are my next favorite team, as long as they are not playing the Sox. The Rays are a different animal than the AL East teams... and they have a good, young, likable team IMO.

DirtySox
09-06-2010, 11:45 PM
WHAT, WHY? The Rays are my next favorite team, as long as they are not playing the Sox. The Rays are a different animal than the AL East teams... and they have a good, young, likable team IMO.

Agreed. I love watching the Rays. If only the White Sox spent on, and developed talent like they do.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
09-07-2010, 12:05 AM
Agreed. I love watching the Rays. If only the White Sox spent on, and developed talent like they do.

Who have they really "spent" money on?

All their really good players came mainly from sucking for 10 years and having nearly always a Top 5 pick, and trades.

Developing I'll give you, but the Rays don't really throw money at FA players.

TDog
09-07-2010, 12:14 AM
WHAT, WHY? The Rays are my next favorite team, as long as they are not playing the Sox. The Rays are a different animal than the AL East teams... and they have a good, young, likable team IMO.

I hated a lot of the Rays crap in the ALDS a couple of years ago. I don't find them likeable at all. I smile every time they lose a no-hitter. Their window of contending in the East may be closing after this season, though. What separates them from the other AL East team is that they don't have a fan base, and they won't be able to stay competitive with the Yankees and Red Sox.

Ranger
09-07-2010, 12:17 AM

Don't forget that between 1999 and 2008, they drafted #1 overall 4 times, and in the top 5 five other times. That's nine Top 5 picks in 10 years. They should have some pretty good talent.

Hitmen77
09-07-2010, 12:17 AM
The Twins can't lose at home, but it has been pointed out they've been very mediocre recently on the road. Let's at least let them get away from Target Field (where, as luck would have it, 12 of their last 22 are) before we declare them universally uncatchable. And as long as those 3 head-to-head games loom out there, this thing isn't over yet.

Keep the faith. Go Sox!

Yes, we could sweep the Twins, but realistically it's unlikely to sweep that series. Taking 2 of 3 (a more likely outcome) only gains us a game. So, hopefully we'll keep winning while MIN comes back down to earth and we can take this division.

Oh well, I'll just hope the Sox keep winning. Waiting for a Twins fade on the horizon will just drive me crazy.

What did the Rays ever do? Damn those guys for drafting well, developing well, and otherwise assembling a team "the right way."

I guess their cowbell-waving bandwagon fans are annoying, but that's hardly the team's fault no one in Florida gives a **** about baseball.

Agreed. I'd like to see more teams succeed like the Rays instead of having everything be won by the richest teams every year. I'm not going to hate the Rays because they have a small fan base. If I was going to cheer based on fanbases, I guess I'd be cheering for the likes of the Cubs, Red Sox, Dallas Cowboys, etc.

DirtySox
09-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Don't forget that between 1999 and 2008, they drafted #1 overall 4 times, and in the top 5 five other times. That's nine Top 5 picks in 10 years. They should have some pretty good talent.

Indeed. But they continue to spend substantially on the draft and talent is oozing out of that farm system from all places. They know what they are doing down there. And it's not only 1st round picks. See Hellickson, Jennings, Moore, etc.

DirtySox
09-07-2010, 12:23 AM
Who have they really "spent" money on?

All their really good players came mainly from sucking for 10 years and having nearly always a Top 5 pick, and trades.

Developing I'll give you, but the Rays don't really throw money at FA players.

Spending on the draft is to what I was referring.

Madscout
09-07-2010, 12:33 AM
Sure...but success is not inevitable...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/214534-pittsburgh-pirates-1997-2007-10-years-of-draft-blunders

DirtySox
09-07-2010, 12:56 AM
Sure...but success is not inevitable...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/214534-pittsburgh-pirates-1997-2007-10-years-of-draft-blunders

Poor Pirates fans. I had forgotten how terrible the Moskos pick was.

At least they are dumping huge money into the draft now. They have had some impressive draft classes recently. Now they just need to work on the whole development part.

UofCSoxFan
09-07-2010, 10:54 AM
The Rays have hit on a lot of their top picks but it's a lot easier to hit in the top 5 (even in baseball) then it is at the end of the first round. We'll see how great Tampa's player development really is once Crawford and others start leaving and guys drafted later in round 1 are called on to replace them.

I dislike Tampa. They are a good team but the city is undeserving of seeing such talent day in and day out. If fans can't show up to watch one of the most exiting teams in baseball play, the days in that city are numbered. I'm still pissed at them for scheduling an important game during the Sunday blackout period so they could host a concert, even if the game wouldn't be televised in Chicago...of course the Twins had to do that a few times too in the Metrodome, but at least that was due to contractual obligations to the U.

Speaking of the Twins, while I dislike them very much but respect their organizaiton a lot more. The Twins have developed as much Talent as Tampa without picking at the top of the first round nearly as often. They took Mauer over Prior when they did pick out that top. They went from a team that was rumored to be contracted to a team with a brand new stadium that has been sold out every game.

whitesoxfan
09-07-2010, 10:58 AM
As long as we keep winning, we'll catch somebody. I'm not really worried about anybody else with the way that we're playing right now.

everafan
09-07-2010, 03:25 PM
If the Rays have a typical September, we have a chance.

September 2009 - Rays win 11 and lose 17
September 2008 - Rays win 13 and lose 14
September 2007 - Rays win 11 and lose 16
September 2006 - Rays win 08 and lose 19

delben91
09-07-2010, 03:40 PM
If the Rays have a typical September, we have a chance.

September 2009 - Rays win 11 and lose 17
September 2008 - Rays win 13 and lose 14
September 2007 - Rays win 11 and lose 16
September 2006 - Rays win 08 and lose 19

You clearly haven't heard that the Sox NEVER (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122663) win in August or September.

TomBradley72
09-07-2010, 03:46 PM
The WC may be the better bet...our "elimination" number (from MLB.com standings; our losses + their wins to eliminate the White Sox) is 22 for the WC vs. 20 for the Division.

So with our losses as a constant...which team is likely to win a lower number of games to allow us to get in? TB may be a more likely target even though the have to lose two more times than the Twins.