PDA

View Full Version : Are the Padres finished?

PKalltheway
09-06-2010, 01:41 AM
The Padres have 10 losses in a row and counting following today's loss against the Rockies. Their division lead, which was once at 6.5 games back on August 25th, is now down to just one game over the Giants. Can the Padres rebound, or is this the end for them?

IMHO, even though they have lost 10 in a row, I think it's really telling that they have not lost their division lead in that stretch. I know I'm probably in the minority with thinking this, but I believe that they will bounce back and take the division. They still have seven games left with the Giants, who they are 9-2 against so far this year.

What do you think?

Rdy2PlayBall
09-06-2010, 02:03 AM
WOW, I had not realized they have lost 10 in a row. That's just something... seeing 0-10 in their last ten. Baseball is a really crazy sport.

CHISOXFAN13
09-06-2010, 02:24 AM
The Padres aren't that good. I'd be surprised if they dont finish third.

Chez
09-06-2010, 07:51 AM
I'm going to be in S.D. for work this week and have tickets to see the Padres play the Dodgers. Looking forward to seeing Petco.

g0g0
09-06-2010, 11:27 AM
I said it early that I didn't think they could carry the season. I still don't think they can (even though they've played a lot better than I expected them to). SF to catch them in 3 games.

09-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Everyone said the same thing about the Indians and White Sox in 2005. Keep doubting!

More than half of you said they wouldn't hold on past April. Then May and June. Then July. Its SEPTEMBER and last I checked they are still in 1st place!

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=120099&highlight=padres

palehozenychicty
09-06-2010, 04:27 PM
The Giants are simply a better balanced team. The Friars have done well in head-to-head, but the Giants have added bats. Giants take over and hold on.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
09-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Don't discount the Rockies. They're hanging tough with the Giants/Pads. They could get hot, and with them being 4.5 out (but chasing two teams), they could make a charge for the NL West crown.

DumpJerry
09-06-2010, 08:08 PM
WOW, I had not realized they have lost 10 in a row. That's just something... seeing 0-10 in their last ten. Baseball is a really crazy sport.
Same here. I've been busy monitoring the Sox' progress to notice the NL situations. Wow.

Now, can the Pads send some, or better yet all, of their nojo (the opposite of mojo) to the Twins? Please?????

getonbckthr
09-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Colorado will win that division.

Gavin
09-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Having trouble seeing how a team that's in first place should be considered "finished".

getonbckthr
09-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Having trouble seeing how a team that's in first place should be considered "finished".
Losing 10 in a row.

DSpivack
09-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Everyone said the same thing about the Indians and White Sox in 2005. Keep doubting!

More than half of you said they wouldn't hold on past April. Then May and June. Then July. Its SEPTEMBER and last I checked they are still in 1st place!

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=120099&highlight=padres

The 2005 White Sox did not lose 10 consecutive games, and especially not as the calendar turned from August to September.

Still, the division is the Padres to lose, somehow.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
09-06-2010, 10:02 PM
The 2005 White Sox did not lose 10 consecutive games, and especially not as the calendar turned from August to September.

Still, the division is the Padres to lose, somehow.

They did lose 7 in a row, though, in September. In fact, what's happening right now is the complete opposite of what happened in '05...that team started Sep. with 7 straight losses, while this team is starting with 7 straight wins.

DSpivack
09-06-2010, 10:06 PM
They did lose 7 in a row, though, in September. In fact, what's happening right now is the complete opposite of what happened in '05...that team started Sep. with 7 straight losses, while this team is starting with 7 straight wins.

Wow, I remember the Sox struggling for a bit and Cleveland nipping on our heels, until Hawks best-ever call [Joe... Crede... YES!!!], didn't realize that it got as bad as a 7-game skid, though.

voodoochile
09-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Those final three games in SF certainly look interesting if they can actually keep it together long enough to make them count.

JB98
09-06-2010, 10:27 PM

False. The 2005 Sox did lose seven in a row ... in August. They actually opened September with a seven-game winning streak.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2005-schedule-scores.shtml

One of the great myths in Chicago sports is the notion that the 2005 Sox "almost choked" in September. In fact, that team was a very respectable 17-12 the final month.

August was the cruelest month for the 2005 White Sox.

Rdy2PlayBall
09-06-2010, 10:33 PM
False. The 2005 Sox did lose seven in a row ... in August. They actually opened September with a seven-game winning streak.

One of the great myths in Chicago sports is the notion that the 2005 Sox "almost choked" in September. In fact, that team was a very respectable 17-12 the final month.

August was the cruelest month for the 2005 White Sox.It's not a myth... while they were not good in August, their lead went from 9.5 up, to 1.5 in the month of September. When all things are said and done they did fine in September, but that was the month where the Sox "almost choked".

http://cache.gifts.com/photos/opd/L/6/9/M/L69MGEB4M5UK2X4Z367F.jpg

SephClone89
09-06-2010, 10:42 PM
It's not a myth... while they were not good in August, their lead went from 9.5 up, to 1.5 in the month of September. When all things are said and done they did fine in September, but that was the month where the Sox "almost choked".

Disagree. A team that goes 17-12 absolutely cannot "choke."

As for the Giants and Padres...I'm torn. On one hand it would be nice to see the Padres in the playoffs for once, I also really like the Giants (my second favourite baseball team) so I'd love for them to play in October, especially if the Sox miss out.

Rdy2PlayBall
09-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Disagree. A team that goes 17-12 absolutely cannot "choke."I don't remember anyone saying they choked. Now, "almost" choked, that's a different story. If you didn't consider going from a 9.5 to 1.5 game lead in 2005 as on the bridge of choking, well... that'd be wrong. They finished great, so they didn't choke, but they almost did.

JB98
09-06-2010, 10:46 PM
It's not a myth... while they were not good in August, their lead went from 9.5 up, to 1.5 in the month of September. When all things are said and done they did fine in September, but that was the month where the Sox "almost choked".

No. It's a myth. Choking involves losing more than you win. Indians got scorching hot. They deserve credit for making it close.

GoGoCrede
09-06-2010, 10:48 PM
I think this thread marks the 10,000th thread in Talking Baseball. Well done, gang.

And yes, I think the Padres are done.

Rdy2PlayBall
09-06-2010, 10:54 PM
No. It's a myth. Choking involves losing more than you win. Indians got scorching hot. They deserve credit for making it close.Between September 7th (9.5), and September 23rd (1.5)...
4-10, losing MAJOR ground.

They were losing. This isn't about how the Sox choked and didn't make the playoffs, this is about how they "almost" choked... which they "almost" did. Anyway, choking usually involves something being lodged on someones throat, causing them to not be able to breath. I don't know where is "losing more than you win" stuff comes from. :redneck

MtGrnwdSoxFan
09-06-2010, 11:50 PM

August was the cruelest month for the 2005 White Sox.

My mistake...I thought the skid happened in September. Serves me right for going with my mind and not researching.

And wasn't there a point where the Indians went 40-10 in 50 games the second half? I don't care who you are, that's goddamn impressive...and it's a good thing the Sox turned it on when they did.

09-07-2010, 01:01 AM
My mistake...I thought the skid happened in September. Serves me right for going with my mind and not researching.

And wasn't there a point where the Indians went 40-10 in 50 games the second half? I don't care who you are, that's goddamn impressive...and it's a good thing the Sox turned it on when they did.

The White Sox skid was at the tail end of August if I remember correctly.

The Padres skid went from the last week of August to the first week of September and I'm thinking is going to end tonight.

09-07-2010, 01:11 AM
Losing streak is over. Put the panic buttons away. The Padres are still going to take the NL West.

Rdy2PlayBall
09-07-2010, 01:14 AM
Losing streak is over. Put the panic buttons away. The Padres are still going to take the NL West.Alright, good news. As I went to check the standings, "Yankees drop 2 in a row" is one of the top stories. :rolleyes:

Look before it's gone, the Sox have a 1st place spot on the ESPN MLB page, they're taking notice to how they are holding on.

gogosox675
09-07-2010, 01:04 PM
This is my favorite divisional race right now (except for the AL Central, of course). I think the Padres will win the division by 2 games over the Giants and 4 over the Rockies. However, it is certainly possible that the Giants can claim the wild card. They are only 1.5 games back right now.