PDA

View Full Version : The L Word... (Linebrink that is)

voodoochile
09-05-2010, 11:08 AM
He's quietly and effectively been putting up a very solid second half since returning from the career abyss that is the normal fate of the veteran setup guy turned mopup man.

Post All Star break he's yielded 14 hits and 2 walks in 17.2 IP with a .209 BAA and a 3.57 ERA in 16 appearances.

I know people still love to use his name as an insult (hence the title of the thread) but he's really been performing and it's been all the more impressive as the bullpen has had so many injury problems and has struggled the last month.

He may never become the pitcher he was when they signed him, but it's good to get any value out of him right now and having him be successful obviously makes the bullpen that much deeper going into these final 4 weeks of the season.

Gavin
09-05-2010, 11:15 AM
He's quietly and effectively been putting up a very solid second half since returning from the career abyss that is the normal fate of the veteran setup guy turned mopup man.

Post All Star break he's yielded 14 hits and 2 walks in 17.2 IP with a .209 BAA and a 3.57 ERA in 16 appearances.

I know people still love to use his name as an insult (hence the title of the thread) but he's really been performing and it's been all the more impressive as the bullpen has had so many injury problems and has struggled the last month.

He may never become the pitcher he was when they signed him, but it's good to get any value out of him right now and having him be successful obviously makes the bullpen that much deeper going into these final 4 weeks of the season.

Sorry.... but

A 3.57 ERA isn't that impressive. It's one bad outing away from a 4+ ERA, which is pretty worthless for a non-Tony-Pena/long relief slot. I think he still gives up a hit or a walk in more appearances than not. That being said, his outing in that game in extras this week was unexpected and awesome.

spongyfungy
09-05-2010, 11:26 AM
he hasn't been a standout in the bullpen to be honest. Ozzie seems to have a bit more confidence in him. but then again he doesn't have too many options. He did have three straight relief appearances giving up a run in each of them.

voodoochile
09-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Sorry.... but

A 3.57 ERA isn't that impressive. It's one bad outing away from a 4+ ERA, which is pretty worthless for a non-Tony-Pena/long relief slot. I think he still gives up a hit or a walk in more appearances than not. That being said, his outing in that game in extras this week was unexpected and awesome.

Well ERA is a lesser stat for relievers anyway, but it's not a horrible number.

His .209 BAA and .905 WHIP are more impressive. Though obviously it's a very small sample. His ERA has been driven up by the 4 HR he's yielded which account for 4/7 runs he's allowed.

In addition 4 of the runs allowed have been in mopup rolls in a blowout win and a blowout loss. Aside from that it's 3 runs allowed in 14 appearances.

That's effective and has been vital for the Sox in this rough stretch of bullpen issues.

Noneck
09-05-2010, 11:29 AM
With Putz out till who knows when and with Santos possibly hitting the wall, Linebrink may become a key for the last month of season. I hope he becomes the man of years ago.

Pablo_Honey
09-05-2010, 11:31 AM

His .209 BAA and .905 WHIP are more impressive. Though obviously it's a very small sample. His ERA has been driven up by the 4 HR he's yielded which account for 4/7 runs he's allowed.

In addition 4 of the runs allowed have been in mopup rolls in a blowout win and a blowout loss. Aside from that it's 3 runs allowed in 14 appearances.

That's effective and has been vital for the Sox in this rough stretch of bullpen issues.
Hmm, interesting breakdown. I personally grew to hate Linebrink a little less thanks to Tony Pena. With this pen in shambles, I wouldn't mind seeing Linebrink getting bumped back up to middle relief or even setup until our two setup guys return fully healthy.

ChiSoxGal85
09-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Last year whenever Linebrink got the ball, I cursed and turned off the TV. This year he has been much more serviceable. I admit it's purely on gut feeling, not numbers, but he seems to have gotten the job done this year.

TDog
09-05-2010, 12:23 PM

ERAs were established to measure the effectiveness of starting pitchers, who were expected to go nine innings (this was almost 100 years ago). Pitchers didn't always go nine innings. Sometimes their ineffectiveness less to them pitching less. Sometimes they pitched more, but a complete game was still the standard on which the ERA was based.

The statistic has become arbitrary for starting pitchers who rarely pitch complete games anymore. They are even more arbitrary for relief pitchers, who rarely pitch more than 100 innings in a season. With fewer innings, a reliever with a couple of bad outings can have a high ERA but be mostly effective. Put two runners on base and only retire one hitter, and if the subsequent reliever allows the runner to score, your ERA for the game will be 54. Retire the next five batters you face, and your ERA will still be 9.

ERA is a poor way to judge relief pitchers. But a relief pitcher with an ERA of 4.50 has allowed half as many earned runs as innings pitched. If he had a bad mop-up inning where he gave up a three-run homer, he matched that inning with five scoreless innings.

hi im skot
09-05-2010, 04:00 PM
It's still a curse word in my world.

TDog
09-05-2010, 05:43 PM

Nice win today, though.

The Dude
09-05-2010, 06:08 PM

Same here! He gave up his one run quota today, per usual. He is worthless besides a few ok outings and will never be a guy to trust. Horrible salary, horrible player. But I hear he's a nice guy? :D:

soxfanreggie
09-05-2010, 06:53 PM
I'm for anyone stepping up and helping us over the last month of the season. We're going to have to play some darn good baseball and likely need to win some key games against the Twins to get into the playoffs - at which point I don't care who steps up. If Linebrink starts giving us more value on the field for what we're paying him, then great!

So far, we've been burned on the investment in him. However, that doesn't mean we shouldn't take risks on getting guys who we think can help us win at the time.

soxinem1
09-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Nice win today, though.

Maybe so, but there was nothing nice about Linebrink today.

His eighth inning wild pitch led to him actually putting us two runs behind with one of the game's best closers on the mound near the end of the game.

And when we scored a run to make it 5-4 in the ninth today, I said the same thing that would have lit this board up if Castro doesn't get his hit, and that was: 'Linebrink ****ing sucks! I knew that run would come back to haunt us!'

And I fail to see why anyone would think he has done a good job. He has been extremely easy to homer off of, and yes, he might be averaging nearly a K/IP, but he gets hit hard.

Guillen has been using him lately because he's up ****'s Creek due to the bullpen issues.

I would make it out to be anything more than that.

slavko
09-05-2010, 09:43 PM
His run scored because of a fielding foulup. He's useful again. Gonna have me a Leinie right now. In honor of Liney.

Brian26
09-05-2010, 09:51 PM
His run scored because of a fielding foulup. He's useful again. Gonna have me a Leinie right now. In honor of Liney.

Eh, not really. Omar made an amazing play to get the force at 2nd. That wasn't guaranteed to be a double play, and Beckham got taken out on a clean slide.

spawn
09-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Eh, not really. Omar made an amazing play to get the force at 2nd. That wasn't guaranteed to be a double play, and Beckham got taken out on a clean slide.

Actually, the play Omar made was made right before Buehrle gave up the homer to Martinez.

Foulke You
09-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Same here! He gave up his one run quota today, per usual. He is worthless besides a few ok outings and will never be a guy to trust. Horrible salary, horrible player. But I hear he's a nice guy? :D:
Pretty much my feelings as well. Linebrink was solid in the Cleveland series but I still don't trust him in 1 run ballgames and today was an example of that. The command of his splitter leaves him far too often and he becomes a 1 pitch pitcher with a straight fastball that AL hitters sit on and crush. Too many walks, HBP, and HRs allowed in my book. My feeling is we should use Linebrink only when we have to. I fully understand why Oz is going to him more because of all the injuries but when Putz is healthy, I'd prefer to see his role reduced again.

slavko
09-06-2010, 12:05 PM

Upon further review...there was no play at home on the run-scoring gound ball. I was wrong.

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-07-2010, 08:38 AM
I still haven't forgiven him for that Cubs game...