PDA

View Full Version : Who to start on Wednesday?

chisoxfanatic
09-04-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm never feeling at all nervous every time Danks takes the mound. But, he won't have normal rest by then, so do you make it a bullpen start...Say Harrell?

I love Danks, and we can't put ourselves in jeopardy by using him too much, but it's also a gamble giving a non-starter a start at all. I'm absolutely torn and am glad I don't have to make that decision.

sox1970
09-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Danks, Danks, Danks. No debate in my mind.

DumpJerry
09-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Never mind the Sox game Wednesday, can we let the Twins start Linebrink for them that day?

Frater Perdurabo
09-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Make it a bullpen game.

Tell Harrell he's pitching three innings, and then have Pena pitch three.

Craig Grebeck
09-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Danks.

Frater, I'm curious as to why you're so adamant about a bullpen game?

Frater Perdurabo
09-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Danks.

Frater, I'm curious as to why you're so adamant about a bullpen game?

I don't want to blow out Danks on short rest.

I think if you tell Harrell he's got three innings, you can tell him to attack hitters with his best stuff and not worry about pacing himself. Pena has been solid in long relief this year as well.

cards press box
09-05-2010, 01:30 AM
Make it a bullpen game.

Tell Harrell he's pitching three innings, and then have Pena pitch three.

If there is ever a time to do a bullpen game, it's September when the team has extra pitchers in the pen.

I think if you tell Harrell he's got three innings, you can tell him to attack hitters with his best stuff and not worry about pacing himself. Pena has been solid in long relief this year as well.

I agree that pitching Danks on short rest should be avoided, if possible. It's late in the season and he's already pitched around 180 innings. With 5 or 6 more starts in the regular season, Danks could end up with 215-220 innings in the regular season. I, too, see no reason not to go with Pena for 3 to 4 innings and Harrell for 2 to 3 innings. The Tigers' starter on Wednesday is Bonderman and he has been shaky this year. The game that concerns me in that series is Tuesday where the scheduled starters are Freddy Garcia and Justin Verlander.

chisoxfanatic
09-05-2010, 01:38 AM
The game that concerns me in that series is Tuesday where the scheduled starters are Freddy Garcia and Justin Verlander.
Sweaty Freddy's looked pretty good the past couple games.

Chez
09-05-2010, 06:52 AM
I haven't plotted the rotation out, but I would think a major factor would be which pitchers are lined up to face the Twins when they come to town. If moving Danks back a day messes that up, then I'd stick with Danks on short rest.

Tragg
09-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Pena was good in his start.
It will also have the advantage of keeping him out of the pen for a few days.

Craig Grebeck
09-05-2010, 08:32 AM
Danks' arm is fine. One start on short rest will not kill him -- Ozzie's handled him very well this season. Pena and Harrell should not-not-not start a game this team needs, or wants, to win.

kufram
09-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Gotta start Danks. Now is not the time to start minor leaguers just because you can. This is our season so no time to save anything really. Leave it on the field.

SSrep
09-05-2010, 10:24 AM
[QUOTE=The game that concerns me in that series is Tuesday where the scheduled starters are Freddy Garcia and Justin Verlander.[/QUOTE]

Freddy owns the Tigs. Verlander concerns me but Garcia not so much.

hawkjt
09-05-2010, 10:29 AM
This is all about lining up Danks/Gavin/Burls for the Twins.
If Danks is pushed back,then it is Freddie/Danks/Gavin vs the Twins.
Those are the three biggest games of the year, and I want MB pitching in that series.
If Danks goes Wed.,maybe for 5-6 innings, he will then get an extra days rest before Tuesday vs the Twins.

I hope they go with Danks on Wednesday. Even if only for 4-5 innings. He is a horse,and is looking back in his groove. It is sprint time now, Ozzie...go to the whip.

PS: just said on the Score that Danks will probably start...good.

TheOldRoman
09-05-2010, 10:37 AM
I can pretty much guarantee Danks will be pushed back because that is generally what the Sox do. The only exception being where they went to a four man rotation at the end of 2008 (and if there was any way they could have gone to a 3 man rotation they would have just to get Vazquez out of the lineup:angry:). Just look at them sitting Jackson after his 7 pitch performance. I hope they start Danks, but I'm not counting on it.

sox1970
09-05-2010, 10:41 AM
I go this way the rest of the way:

at Det-- Jackson, Garcia, Danks, Floyd
vs KC-- Buehrle, Jackson, Garcia
off
vs Min-- Danks, Floyd, Buehrle
vs Det-- Jackson, Garcia, Danks
at Oak-- Floyd, Buehrle, Jackson
off (flip Danks and Garcia)
at LAA-- Danks, Garcia, Floyd
vs Bos-- Buehrle, Jackson, Danks, Garcia
vs Cle-- Floyd, Buehrle, Jackson

Danks on schedule for 163 in Minnesota.

voodoochile
09-05-2010, 10:44 AM

Personally I'd rather start Danks and put him on a pitch count. He should be able to go 5 at least and then you can go to Pena and Harrell if needed.

Noneck
09-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Garcia on tuesday has to be a concern. Someone has to be ready early to take over. This is not the time of year that eating innings should come into play. With this being said wednesday may be a wait and see situation, if it is not Danks.

soxfanreggie
09-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Personally I'd rather start Danks and put him on a pitch count. He should be able to go 5 at least and then you can go to Pena and Harrell if needed.

That's what I'm hoping for. If we get up to a comfortable lead, it makes it easy to give him a pat on the back for 5 or 6 serviceable innings. If John thinks he can go out there and be effective while not hurting himself, then I'm for him going.

soxinem1
09-05-2010, 08:32 PM
I can pretty much guarantee Danks will be pushed back because that is generally what the Sox do. The only exception being where they went to a four man rotation at the end of 2008 (and if there was any way they could have gone to a 3 man rotation they would have just to get Vazquez out of the lineup:angry:). Just look at them sitting Jackson after his 7 pitch performance. I hope they start Danks, but I'm not counting on it.

Danks can get an extra day rest next week. I'd say let him go. We need the rotation slotted the way it is so it lines up well against MIN.

But if they need to go to the pen for a starter, I'd let Harrell go as long as he can.

DumpJerry
09-05-2010, 08:52 PM
It's going to be Danks. (http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/09/danks-likely-to-start-on-short-rest-wednesday.html)