PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 'We're Gavin It All We Got' White Sox vs BOS Game 2 9/4 Postgame Thread

soxinem1
09-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Gritty efforts by Danks, Floyd, and Jenks.

Just enough hitting.

Some helps from TEX would be nice, but hey, we gotta keep the pressure on!!

hi im skot
09-04-2010, 09:14 PM
A very happy birthday for Hawk.

vinny
09-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Great day for the Sox. ****ty day for Juan, hopefully he'll snap out of it tomorrow.
Keep the pressure on! :)

MtGrnwdSoxFan
09-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Whaddya know, we CAN sweep doubleheaders!!

Win tomorrow, and not only will we be rolling, we likely may have put the final nail in the Red Sox' coffin.

Rdy2PlayBall
A very happy birthday for Hawk.This is one birthday that should stand out for the rest of Hawk's life. :tongue:

Soxman219
This is the first doubleheader we've swept in some time.

:)

chisox77
Two wins in Boston in one day - very productive.

soxinem1
09-04-2010, 09:19 PM
this is one birthday that should stand out for the rest of hawk's life. :tongue:

mercy!!

sox1970
this is the first doubleheader we've swept in some time.

9/14/08

chisoxfanatic
**** you, chowdah heads!

Moses_Scurry
09-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Happy

hi im skot
3.5 out.

DickAllen72
Nice job again by Jenks! And props to Quentin for having a good game.

Let's sweep the series tomorrow!

GlassSox
09-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Very nice day, 1st double header sweep of Boston since 1991

09-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Wait, we swept a doubleheader?

manders_01
09-04-2010, 09:23 PM
:winner

chisoxfanatic
09-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Wait, we swept a doubleheader?
Yep! :smile:

The key to this game was Gavin getting out of trouble in the middle of the game when he had runners at the corners and nobody out, allowing only 1 runner to score.

SoxSpeed22
09-04-2010, 09:27 PM
This is a productive double header. Although I wonder when was the last time a double header had the same score in both games with the same team winning?
Gritty effort from Gavin. Nice job by Bobby and some defensive miscues from the Carmines help us out. Let's sweep em tomorrow.

Madscout
09-04-2010, 09:29 PM
The only thing that would have been better is if the Twins didn't hand the Rangers their asses.

That said....YES! This team may suck at fundamentals, they may not produce, they may be sub standard at their positions, not hit with men in scoring position, they may run the bases like **** (today's problem), suck out of the bullpen and on and on... but one thing they aren't is a bunch of quitters, and I'll take that.

Foulke You
09-04-2010, 09:30 PM
5W-0L road trip. Very nice. Our boys pitched their behinds off today. Keep on winning. Sox are in very good shape to go 7W-3L or 8W-2L on this trip.

Rdy2PlayBall
09-04-2010, 09:32 PM
The only thing that would have been better is if the Twins didn't hand the Rangers their asses.

That said....YES! This team may suck at fundamentals, they may not produce, they may be sub standard at their positions, not hit with men in scoring position, they may run the bases like **** (today's problem), suck out of the bullpen and on and on... but one thing they aren't is a bunch of quitters, and I'll take that.None of those are very true... They're streaky, which involves all of those. I wouldn't characterize the whole team as any of those though. That description sounds more like the Pirates.

hi im skot
09-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Carlos Quentin is TUFF.

oeo
09-04-2010, 09:33 PM
C.J. Wilson against Nick Blackburn tomorrow in Minnesota, so the Rangers should be able to win. Gaining 2 games on the road while the Twins are at home would be pretty damn good if we can finish this series off. Still have four in Detroit, but we usually play well there.

Madscout
09-04-2010, 09:34 PM
None of those are very true... They're streaky, which involves all of those. I wouldn't characterize the whole team as any of those though. That description sounds more like the Pirates.
Agreed, but we all have cursed every one of those things this year.

Oh, and the Pirates quite a long time ago. Trust me, I live here.

Rdy2PlayBall
09-04-2010, 09:36 PM

Oh, and the Pirates quite a long time ago. Trust me, I live here.I just chose a bad team, was I wrong? I don't understand what that says.

Tragg
09-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Nice workmanlike effort today.
Kudos to Jenks. May not have the arm he had, but he still has his nads. The one stat I am interested in from the man whose job, 90% of the time, is to close games, is save %. And his is pretty darn good.

Rdy2PlayBall
09-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Nice workmanlike effort today.
Kudos to Jenks. May not have the arm he had, but he still has his nads. The one stat I am interested in from the man whose job, 90% of the time, is to close games, is save %. And his is pretty darn good.True, and if he hadn't blown those decent leads this year, it would look even better. It's weird he seems to only blow leads when they are by 3 runs.

chisoxfanatic
09-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Carlos Quentin is TUFF.
He is! Was anyone else especially amused at the way he scored the first run of the game? That kind of stuff usually happens AGAINST us!

Madscout
09-04-2010, 09:39 PM
I just chose a bad team, was I wrong? I don't understand what that says.
That's because I can't spell... The Pirates quit a long time ago. Like 2 months ago. I live in Pittsburgh, and I follow the Bucs a little.

oeo
09-04-2010, 09:39 PM

It's a long season, that happens to every team every year.

The Sox are leading the league in hitting with RISP, by the way.

Madscout
09-04-2010, 09:42 PM
It's a long season, that happens to every team every year.

The Sox are leading the league in hitting with RISP, by the way.
Well, I'll be... I wouldn't have thought that. The numbers over the past 2 1/2 months must be off the charts...

GoGoCrede
09-04-2010, 09:47 PM
I love Gavin.

This day was nearly perfect, baseball-wise. Except for the Twins winning.

chisoxfanatic
09-04-2010, 09:52 PM
I love Gavin.
You DO? :wink:

Gavin
09-04-2010, 09:53 PM
You DO? :wink:

I'm taken.

GoGoCrede
09-04-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm taken.

:rolling: Damn, I had such high hopes for us....

Noneck
Two big wins but this boston team is very weak offensively. Too late to think about just winning series (i am sure the twins arent), they have to think sweep every series.

soxlady8
I again did not watch this game .
I did hear Gavin had some problems with some of his pitches :(
nice to see Bobby nail down the save --

MtGrnwdSoxFan
09-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Two big wins but this boston team is very weak offensively. Too late to think about just winning series (i am sure the twins arent), they have to think sweep every series.

The deficit is small enough, and there's still enough time to where the Sox don't HAVE to sweep every series. The Twins aren't going to keep playing .700 ball like they have been, and we have 3 with them at the Cell.

Now, if they were 4 down on the 23rd, then yes, panic time. But not right now.

Lip Man 1
09-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Very impressive performance today, VERY impressive.

They had a high of 16 over this year, they are now at 14 over.

Lip

slavko
09-04-2010, 10:16 PM
He is! Was anyone else especially amused at the way he scored the first run of the game? That kind of stuff usually happens AGAINST us!

Ran over Saltalamacchia. I think that means jump-on-the-spot in Italian. Please correct me, you Italian experts.

Told you Liney would be useful before it was over. Anything we get out of him is a bonus. Boston looks beat up and beaten down. I would be amazed if they came out of this funk before it's too late.

kevingrt
09-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Beautiful day.

Nelfox02
09-04-2010, 10:19 PM
great day for the sox and us fans......DH sweeps are rare, especially on the road.

yeah, it sucks the Twins have been on a roll as of late too, but imagine if the sox had gone 1-4, even 2-3 in the last 5 games? pretty much time to pack it in

they just have to get to the start of that series with Minn 3 or less back.....make those games count boys

great job sox, baserunning scary in the first game but other than that, not too shabby!

rainbow6
09-04-2010, 10:20 PM

Lip

The high watermark of 16 could be reached (again) with a win tomorrow.
Fingers crossed...

Noneck
09-04-2010, 10:20 PM
The deficit is small enough, and there's still enough time to where the Sox don't HAVE to sweep every series. The Twins aren't going to keep playing .700 ball like they have been, and we have 3 with them at the Cell.

Now, if they were 4 down on the 23rd, then yes, panic time. But not right now.

Not panic, just a mindset which I think the twins have now. The Sox know they can sweep series because they did it when they made their come back.

Zisk77
09-04-2010, 10:41 PM

Lip

I believe it was 17 and we are now 15, no? :scratch:

ChiSoxGirl
09-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Hell of an effort today all-around! :bandance: After they took the opener, I'd basically written the night cap off as an automatic loss. Knowing how tough it is to sweep a doubleheader, I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome of the second game. We need Buehrls to step it up tomorrow and sweep the series. Every victory is precious and more necessary than the previous. Besides, I'm REALLY desperate for a winning game report; I haven't written one of those since August 1!

tebman
09-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Hell of an effort today all-around! :bandance: After they took the opener, I'd basically written the night cap off as an automatic loss. Knowing how tough it is to sweep a doubleheader, I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome of the second game. We need Buehrls to step it up tomorrow and sweep the series. Every victory is precious and more necessary than the previous. Besides, I'm REALLY desperate for a winning game report; I haven't written one of those since August 1!

Writing winning TBGRs doesn't hurt a bit. :cool:

chisoxfanatic
09-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Writing winning TBGRs doesn't hurt a bit. :cool:
I think you're the most experienced of us at that. :tongue:

ChiSoxGirl
09-04-2010, 11:01 PM
I think you're the most experienced of us at that. :tongue:

And I am, without a doubt, the least experienced in that department! Even when I used to write on Saturdays, the Sox would lose!

chisoxfanatic
09-04-2010, 11:05 PM
And I am, without a doubt, the least experienced in that department! Even when I used to write on Saturdays, the Sox would lose!
Whenever you can't think of another reason for a circumstance, blame tstrike2000. :cool:

thomas35forever
09-04-2010, 11:05 PM
That was fun.

ChiSoxGirl
09-04-2010, 11:10 PM
Whenever you can't think of another reason for a circumstance, blame tstrike2000. :cool:

Why? I think I missed something here.... :scratch:

chisoxfanatic
09-04-2010, 11:28 PM
It was meant as friendly ribbing.

tstrike2000
09-04-2010, 11:33 PM

She's just saying that I've only filled in twice but she knows my two TBGR's are known works of art.

Win tomorrow Sox!

guillensdisciple
09-04-2010, 11:34 PM
Great wins today. Extremely proud to see the Sox take it to the teams they have been playing this series. Inspired baseball, like they believe in something. The signing of Manny was a brilliant move- it makes a team believe- it makes a team believe that they have all the pieces and the White Sox are playing like it.

Keep on believing Sox, make it to the playoffs. That's all I want, I want a chance in the playoffs, I want the Sox to get that shot to hold that trophy up there again.

Who knows, it will be a difficult road- but why not us? Why not us?

chisoxfanatic
09-04-2010, 11:39 PM
She's just saying that I've only filled in twice but she knows my two TBGR's are known works of art.

Win tomorrow Sox!
There are exhibits for ugly works of art? :redneck

tstrike2000
09-04-2010, 11:46 PM
There are exhibits for ugly works of art? :redneck

Hey now! At least we're all happy since the Sox swept the doubleheader. You said they could go 9-1 on this road trip. I hope you're right because the damn Twins will not lose.

chisoxfanatic
09-04-2010, 11:47 PM
Hey now! At least we're all happy since the Sox swept the doubleheader. You said they could go 9-1 on this road trip. I hope you're right because the damn Twins will not lose.
They're already 6-0...I'd love for them to go 11-0 on this road trip, personally!

johnnyg83
09-04-2010, 11:59 PM
When was The last time we swept a DH @ Boston?

Great Day for me. We sweep in Boston (underdog), ND Beats PUrdue, Minutemen (underdog) beat #4 William & Mary, Loyola Academy (underdog) spanks Monitini. I can't remember when everything has fallen my way like this.

tstrike2000
09-04-2010, 11:59 PM
They're already 6-0...I'd love for them to go 11-0 on this road trip, personally!

Having Bobby getting saves 26 and 27 today is a great start to this road trip finishing strong.

oeo
09-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Not panic, just a mindset which I think the twins have now.

Maybe they have that mindset, but they're not getting it done. They've blown late inning leads in their last two chances to sweep.

FWIW, a Twins fan I talked to on Friday thinks the exact opposite. That they don't have that mindset, and they're content with just winning every series. He was dogging on Gardenhire for that.

doublem23
09-05-2010, 12:02 AM
I believe it was 17 and we are now 15, no? :scratch:

High water mark on the year was 16 games over .500 after we beat the Orioles on August 7 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL201008070.shtml), and we're sitting 15 games over right now.

Problem was, when we were 16 games over .500, we were 1 1/2 games in first. Today, we're 3 1/2 games behind.

johnnyg83
09-05-2010, 12:14 AM
The Twins have a horseshoe in their ass.

Tell me who you would take on our team vs, theirs straight up. Morneau and Nathan don't count. Mauer, Young and Cuddyer ..,, who else?

Liriiano would be our #2 .. Pavano might be our #5.

soltrain21
09-05-2010, 12:20 AM

Tell me who you would take on our team vs, theirs straight up. Morneau and Nathan don't count. Mauer, Young and Cuddyer ..,, who else?

Kubel, Valencia.

They have a bunch of solid players, a couple very good players and two MVPS. They are good.

chisoxfanatic
09-05-2010, 12:21 AM
Having Bobby getting saves 26 and 27 today is a great start to this road trip finishing strong.
Swing and a miss. :wink:

I know who I'd want to take from that team...Kubel, because then he couldn't HURT us!

oeo
09-05-2010, 12:22 AM
Kubel, Valencia.

They have a bunch of solid players, a couple very good players and two MVPS. They are good.

Why would I want Cuddyer or Kubel again? People still living off their career years last year?

And Valencia is a solid player, he's playing well over his head right now, though.

bunty_doghunter
09-05-2010, 01:11 AM
And Valencia is a solid player, he's playing well over his head right now, though.
How can you tell? He's a rookie.

twinsuck
09-05-2010, 01:28 AM
The Sox are undefeated with Manny. weee

tstrike2000
09-05-2010, 07:30 AM
Swing and a miss. :wink:

I know who I'd want to take from that team...Kubel, because then he couldn't HURT us!

Ok, the Sox are 5-0 and not 6-0 this trip. Unfortunately, too, for the Twins it doesn't seem to matter who gets injured for them or who they play, they're all Sox killers.

SOXSINCE'70
09-05-2010, 08:10 AM
This is the first doubleheader we've swept in some time.

The last time the Sox swept the SAWX in a day-night DH was 1991,IIRC.

And yes, it was at Fenway. A few highlights I remember:

- Robin Ventura homered off Jeff Reardon to tie game one in the 9th.
Dan Pasqua's 2 run single was the difference in the 10th.

- In game 2, the Sawx couldn't get Thomas or Ventura out,
and both helped the Sox to a 7-4 victory.

Bob Roarman
09-05-2010, 08:55 AM

....The Twins have two MVP caliber players on their team. That's not luck. Furthermore, you can't really pick and choose which players you'd take from the Twins over what the Sox have because the Sox don't have the equivalent of Mauer and Morneau around those players to begin with.

guillensdisciple
09-05-2010, 09:17 AM
....The Twins have two MVP caliber players on their team. That's not luck. Furthermore, you can't really pick and choose which players you'd take from the Twins over what the Sox have because the Sox don't have the equivalent of Mauer and Morneau around those players to begin with.

This all works, but somehow you're forgetting that the Sox have a pretty damn good 3 and 4 up there too. PK is as mvp esque as you can get, and last time I remember Rios is pretty damn good too (plus, having five tools is a hell of a lot better than having three).

Beckham < HUdson (for now), Alexei>>>??, PK< Morneau (not this year but whatever), Mauer>>>>>>A.J. Quentin> Kubel, Rios>>>Span, Pierre>??, Teahen/ Vizquel< Valencia (ehh, next year he'll suck)

Peavy> Liriano, Danks> Pavano, Floyd> Baker, Mark> Slowey, Jackson> ? Duensing?

Position by position, they are nothing special. Difference is, we have trouble for some reason playing against them and maintaining our bullpen fresh throughout the year.

oh and our bullpen >> theirs.

hawkjt
09-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Sox have a great day.
They have pretty much everyone going well right now offensively,but more importantly,they are getting clutch hits,like in this game. Carlos's triples are like homers,really. Extra base hits like that are so precious.

Manny's hit in the first game that set up the first and third scoring opportunity they cashed in was big.
Manny has not gone crazy hitting but I like his presence in the lineup so far. He does work out the pitchers,and they tend to be careful with him a la Thome. I think he has provided a little boost to team confidence.

But, as always, in the end,it comes down to pitching. Sox rotation is taking on the look of June again...in a groove. Bullpen is settling down.
Sox need to win today, hope the Twins lose, then go beat the Tigers.
This pennant race is pushing both the Twins and Sox to win 90+ games, and if the Rays hit a real bad stretch the wildcard could still be up for grabs.

Bob Roarman
09-05-2010, 10:24 AM
This all works, but somehow you're forgetting that the Sox have a pretty damn good 3 and 4 up there too. PK is as mvp esque as you can get, and last time I remember Rios is pretty damn good too (plus, having five tools is a hell of a lot better than having three).

Beckham < HUdson (for now), Alexei>>>??, PK< Morneau (not this year but whatever), Mauer>>>>>>A.J. Quentin> Kubel, Rios>>>Span, Pierre>??, Teahen/ Vizquel< Valencia (ehh, next year he'll suck)

Peavy> Liriano, Danks> Pavano, Floyd> Baker, Mark> Slowey, Jackson> ? Duensing?

Position by position, they are nothing special. Difference is, we have trouble for some reason playing against them and maintaining our bullpen fresh throughout the year.

oh and our bullpen >> theirs.

I'm not saying they aren't good I'm saying they aren't MVP good while Mauer and Morneau are and can be year in year out. I can't say the same for anyone on the White Sox. I also never said the Twins were even that much better of a team. I was commenting on how that guy said they were getting by on luck.

LITTLE NELL
09-05-2010, 10:41 AM
As they say in Beantown it was a "wicked pissah'' with our Sox beating their Sox twice.

tstrike2000
09-05-2010, 12:41 PM
As they say in Beantown it was a "wicked pissah'' with our Sox beating their Sox twice.

Let's turn this into a "mega pissah" and win today as well.

oeo
09-05-2010, 01:00 PM
How can you tell? He's a rookie.

Minor league numbers