PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie Woo Woo at the Cell?

MARTINMVP
09-03-2010, 07:47 AM
Does Ronnie Woo Woo ever go to the Cell? Was at last Thursday's game walking around outside before the gates opened, and saw someone who looked like him, in a Cubs jersey with the name "Woo Woo" (or "Ronnie"? -- I can't remember now) on the back. Was wearing the baseball pants too. He was just walking around not bothering anyone, and most people were walking by ignoring him. When I got around by Gate 4, I saw him standing by 35th St. talking with a Sox security guy. I'm assuming it was him, but why was he at the Cell? Does he normally walk around there and/or actually attend Sox games?

I meant to post this a week ago, but kept forgetting.

ChiSoxGirl
09-03-2010, 07:53 AM
Does Ronnie Woo Woo ever go to the Cell? Was at last Thursday's game walking around outside before the gates opened, and saw someone who looked like him, in a Cubs jersey with the name "Woo Woo" (or "Ronnie"? -- I can't remember now) on the back. Was wearing the baseball pants too. He was just walking around not bothering anyone, and most people were walking by ignoring him. When I got around by Gate 4, I saw him standing by 35th St. talking with a Sox security guy. I'm assuming it was him, but why was he at the Cell? Does he normally walk around there and/or actually attend Sox games?

I saw him at the ballpark for Game 2 of the ALDS against Boston in 2005, and I believe he was also milling around the ballpark before Game 2 of the ALCS. Dude needs a life.

DrCrawdad
09-03-2010, 07:53 AM

Yes. Several years ago in a game vs. the Yankees (which Clemens started for the Yanks) Ronnie was there in full regalia. They even put Ronnie on the JumboTron, albeit briefly, and he was booed. I've seen Ronnie at SoxFest too and he even questioned Jerry Manuel in an open forum discussion.

Hitmen77
09-03-2010, 08:05 AM
I have seen him several times at the Cell, but not for a few years now.

Actually, come to think of it, I haven't heard much about him at all lately. Is he still the official goodwill ambassador of the Cubs. I actually saw license plates on a car once that said "CUBS WOO":rolleyes:

doublem23
09-03-2010, 08:14 AM
My high school graduation (which was almost 10 years ago.. aw jeez) was at Holy Name Cathedral and he showed up for that, too. I mean, I know I went to high school on the North Side, but come on, man.

Restrained myself, as I didn't want to get expelled 99.9% of the way through.

tebman
09-03-2010, 08:34 AM
That guy is like a spectral presence. Or maybe a much less heroic version of Forrest Gump. I attended an event at Columbia College in the spring that commemorated Dick Biondi and Herb Kent for their 60 years in radio. Bob Sirott was the MC and there were several hundred people there. There were questions taken from the audience and toward the end Sirott called on a raised hand and paused, saying "Ronnie, please, no cheers." It was the woo-woo guy in his Cub uniform! Why on earth he was there I have no idea. It was simply weird.

guillensdisciple
09-03-2010, 08:44 AM
In all seriousness, because it confuses the hell out of me, who is Ronnie woo woo?

hi im skot
09-03-2010, 09:07 AM
In all seriousness, because it confuses the hell out of me, who is Ronnie woo woo?

Well... (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ronnie+woo+woo)

TheCommander
09-03-2010, 09:28 AM
He was walking up and down the aisles at a game I attended a few years ago, almost as if he were a vendor. Embarrassingly, some people were stopping him and getting their picture taken with Woo. By the time he got to my section people were yelling at him and he disappeared onto the concourse.

It's disruptive enough when people do the wave, but having Ronnie Woo Woo wandering the Cell aimlessly is even worse.

Hitmen77
09-03-2010, 09:29 AM

He's this homeless guy who somehow became a staple at Wrigley Field. His claim to fame is his loud, incessant (and I mean INCESSANT!) chant of CUBS WOO CUBS WOO. I think he says the "Woo" part as he's breathing in - so never seems to have to stop and catch his breath!

I remember seeing him around in the mid-1980s, but I've heard others say he was around back in the 70s too. He manages to get his face everywhere. He was even there with the cameras when Dusty Baker was cleaning out his desk after getting fired by the Cubs.:rolleyes: He's really annoying and he has shown up at the Cell in the past too dress up all in Cubs gear.

Well... (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ronnie+woo+woo)

:rolleyes:
Yeah, why have any personal input about anything here when we can just use a snarky link to the "Let Me Google That For You" website.

SOXPHILE
09-03-2010, 09:45 AM
For the life of me, I cannot figure out of the presence that is the Woo. Almost anytime there's some story pertaining to the Cubs or the neighborhood surrounding the park, that shrieking halfwit shows up on TV, or in the newspaper. The Tribune runs stories about him, the media continues to perpetuate his "myth" as some legend, or unofficial mascot for the team. Drunken fratboys and trixies love having their picture taken with him. People pay for him to get into the games, and buy him beer and food. One of the biggest mysteries to me was back in 2007, when this presumably unemployed, homeless simpleton is in Arizona, at the 2 Cubs-Diamondbacks NLDS games played out there. Who the hell payed for his airfair and tickets to that ?

hi im skot
09-03-2010, 09:49 AM
:rolleyes:
Yeah, why have any personal input about anything here when we can just use a snarky link to the "Let Me Google That For You" website.

His wikipedia page, as well as his personal website, can explain him better than any of us probably can.

I was having some fun, though we all know fun is overrated.

:rolleyes: yourself.

TheOldRoman
09-03-2010, 10:22 AM
His wikipedia page, as well as his personal website, can explain him better than any of us probably can.

I was having some fun, though we all know fun is overrated.

:rolleyes: yourself.
http://img.hotmoviesale.com/dvds/COL-D03157D/1/You-Got-Served.jpg

C-Dawg
09-03-2010, 10:39 AM
My high school graduation (which was almost 10 years ago.. aw jeez) was at Holy Name Cathedral and he showed up for that, too. I mean, I know I went to high school on the North Side, but come on, man.

In full uniform too, I bet.

:?:

hi im skot
09-03-2010, 10:50 AM
My strangest Woo-Woo run-in was in October of 2005 when I was at a Paul McCartney show. This was right before the World Series started, so Sox fever was at an all-time high. People were booing him as he walked from section to section at the United Center.

DumpJerry
09-03-2010, 11:15 AM
He shows up at Sox games from time to time to remind himself of what real baseball looks like.

I saw him on the Red Line a couple of winters ago. His teeth were fixed and he spoke like a normal person. I only knew it was him because he was wearing a Cubs Starter jacket, he had that Ronnie Woo Woo face and his friend called him Ronnie.

Rohan
09-03-2010, 11:20 AM
I've seen this moron more times that I care to remember. He was even in Camelback Ranch for the Sox vs Cubs springtraining game this year.

My most memorable experience was bumping into him at the Roosevelt redline stop this season after one of the Cubs games. I was wearing my Sox jersey and he was dressed like a clown in his Cubs jersey as usual.

He turned to me and my girlfriend and said "Boo, Sox, Boo". My response was, "You're a joke, go get a real job." He didn't have anything else to say and turned and walked the other way.

doublem23
09-03-2010, 11:41 AM
In full uniform too, I bet.

:?:

Without the uniform, he's just another crazy guy on the streets of Chicago.

TheCommander
09-03-2010, 12:55 PM
In everyone's recollections he's never actually watching a game-just wandering around and "wooing." Yet the Wrigley faithful treat him like he is royalty and a baseball superfan. :scratch:

SoxandtheCityTee
09-03-2010, 01:02 PM
I've posted this before -- in the early 1980s I saw him get thrown out of RJ Grunt's for woo-ing his way through the bar crowd. This was pre-uniform, pre-dentures, pre-celebrity, when he was just a loony pest and treated as such.

mantis1212
09-03-2010, 01:07 PM
For a game a couple years ago (the tiebreaker I believe) I saw him walking down 35th street in a full White Sox uniform.

Dick Allen
09-03-2010, 01:54 PM
I saw him wandering around outside before game 1 of the '05 WS. In full Cubs uniform, of course. What my buddy and I said to him can't be repeated.

chisoxjtrain
09-03-2010, 02:18 PM
I had a chance to play at Wrigley Field a few years ago for a summer league team I was on. Nothing was more annoying than hearing his "Woo" throughout the whole ****ing game. He made it very hard to focus because his "Woos" pierced through the crowd noise.

TommyJohn
09-03-2010, 03:58 PM
For the life of me, I cannot figure out of the presence that is the Woo. Almost anytime there's some story pertaining to the Cubs or the neighborhood surrounding the park, that shrieking halfwit shows up on TV, or in the newspaper. The Tribune runs stories about him, the media continues to perpetuate his "myth" as some legend, or unofficial mascot for the team. Drunken fratboys and trixies love having their picture taken with him. People pay for him to get into the games, and buy him beer and food. One of the biggest mysteries to me was back in 2007, when this presumably unemployed, homeless simpleton is in Arizona, at the 2 Cubs-Diamondbacks NLDS games played out there. Who the hell payed for his airfair and tickets to that ?I have heard that Mark Grace used to leave him a comp ticket every day when he played for the Cubs, which would explain Woo's presence at many Cub games I vended in that era. He was also at the 2001 World Series in Arizona. If Woo was at the 2007 NLDS, I've no doubt that it was Mark Grace who paid his way out there.

robertks61
09-03-2010, 07:49 PM
The moron himself was walking outside last Friday night at US Cellular vs. NYY. He looked worn out more than usual. My son and I walked right by him but I was nice and didn't call him an idiot this time.

bridgeportcopper
09-03-2010, 08:47 PM
I've seen this moron more times that I care to remember. He was even in Camelback Ranch for the Sox vs Cubs springtraining game this year.

My most memorable experience was bumping into him at the Roosevelt redline stop this season after one of the Cubs games. I was wearing my Sox jersey and he was dressed like a clown in his Cubs jersey as usual.

He turned to me and my girlfriend and said "Boo, Sox, Boo". My response was, "You're a joke, go get a real job." He didn't have anything else to say and turned and walked the other way.
A little harsh dontcha think????? I hate all things Cubbie as much as anyone here. But this man has gotten so much out of life (or at least the last 20 years of it). I'll bet he could tell some phenomenal stories about the experiences he's had all for being a goof and cheering for his team. I saw him popping out of a limo at a Notre Dame football game once (obviously, some idiot Chad took him for the laughs) and have run across him numerous times while I've been working (I remember seeing him at Mayor Daley's mom's wake, also numerous times when I was directing traffic before and after Cub games when I was a recruit and also at a Bulls game years ago) and at the end of the day, most of you won't believe this but, he is a good guy! Very personable, he doesn't know me from Adam but I've had conversations with him at least 5 times and come away smiling each time. Now, his allegiances are for a team we hate and he is a tad bit eccentric but he is a human, and in my opinion not a bad one at that.

LongLiveFisk
09-03-2010, 08:55 PM
The moron himself was walking outside last Friday night at US Cellular vs. NYY. He looked worn out more than usual. My son and I walked right by him but I was nice and didn't call him an idiot this time.

I saw him once outside the Cell also. I wasn't mean to him, but I just can't be mean to mentally challenged people.

cub killer
09-03-2010, 09:44 PM
At a game in 1999 where we got killed by the Mariners, he was in a skybox yelling "Sammy!, Woo!, Sosa!, Woo!" on and on and on. He was also at game 3 of the 2008 ALDS wearing a Sox jersey a fan supposedly bought for him. Ronnie wouldn't exist if it wasn't for his enablers. That's why he goes to every major event in Chicago, because there will be someone there who will buy him a ticket or food or drink or something. Why would he stop now if it works for him every time?

It is kinda weird though the way he takes advantage of this to get close to women. He'll get a little too close during pictures, and a little too frisky while commiserating. If you're gonna have him hang out with you and your girlfriend, keep a close eye out.

This one guy told me about how he and his friends hung out with Ronnie and bought him drinks and all that. He then told him where he lived, and that they'd go out lookin' for chicks on a certain day. He was drunk, and not serious about his invitation. Sure enough, Ronnie shows up at his apartment on the day of the faux-invitation, ready to go out lookin' for chicks.

chisoxfanatic
09-03-2010, 09:45 PM
I saw him at the United Center during a Bulls' playoff game several years ago and made sure to show him the World Series Champions hat I was wearing.

I also saw him at the UC a couple years ago roaming around the 200 level at a Hawks game. One of my Cub fan friends was booing him mercilessly.

gr8mexico
09-03-2010, 10:22 PM
A little harsh dontcha think????? I hate all things Cubbie as much as anyone here. But this man has gotten so much out of life (or at least the last 20 years of it). I'll bet he could tell some phenomenal stories about the experiences he's had all for being a goof and cheering for his team. I saw him popping out of a limo at a Notre Dame football game once (obviously, some idiot Chad took him for the laughs) and have run across him numerous times while I've been working (I remember seeing him at Mayor Daley's mom's wake, also numerous times when I was directing traffic before and after Cub games when I was a recruit and also at a Bulls game years ago) and at the end of the day, most of you won't believe this but, he is a good guy! Very personable, he doesn't know me from Adam but I've had conversations with him at least 5 times and come away smiling each time. Now, his allegiances are for a team we hate and he is a tad bit eccentric but he is a human, and in my opinion not a bad one at that.
Totally agree!

WhiteSox5187
09-03-2010, 11:10 PM
This is going to sound strange, but I saw him today at 35th Street Red Hots. It was weird, he was talking to a guy in a Sox jacket who kinda looked like he worked for the club.

Dub25
09-03-2010, 11:11 PM
My strangest Woo-Woo run-in was in October of 2005 when I was at a Paul McCartney show. This was right before the World Series started, so Sox fever was at an all-time high. People were booing him as he walked from section to section at the United Center.

I think the question is, how in the heck did he get into a Paul McCartney show? :scratch:

doublem23
09-03-2010, 11:28 PM
I think the question is, how in the heck did he get into a Paul McCartney show? :scratch:

He really, really hates Yoko.

MARTINMVP
09-04-2010, 01:17 AM
I know a couple of Cub fans who can't stand Woo Woo, and have alleged that he has crossed the line too many times, even at Wrigley, when it comes to his conduct around women.

When I saw him then at the Cell last week, I didn't say anything to him. I'm too nice of a guy I guess, especially since he wasn't bothering me or anyone else.

RadioheadRocks
09-04-2010, 02:47 AM
When I saw him then at the Cell last week, I didn't say anything to him. I'm too nice of a guy I guess, especially since he wasn't bothering me or anyone else.

And that's the best way to deal with him. He craves attention, so simply deprive him of that and he'll slowly slink away.

OldRomanPizza
09-04-2010, 11:13 AM
I saw him once at a Sox game in 2008. Came down a few steps into 137 and posed for a few pics while wearing his full Cubs uniform.

I don't have any real opinions of the guy. I think my favorite story regarding RWW is the one of the guy who walked away from a well paying job to take some film study classes and then to shoot a documentary about his life.

To each their own, but I just find it amusing how perfectly his story fits that prevailing element of Cubs fandom.

MARTINMVP
09-04-2010, 04:14 PM
I guess this is a stupid question, but with his fame in recent years, is he still homeless? I have to assume he is provided with some type of care or shelter - clean Cub uniforms and just in general. The guy gets around, people buy him beers, new teeth, so it wouldn't be hard to assume someone somehow provides him resources for shelter, etc.

And to be honest, I first heard of this guy about 2 or 3 years ago. The first few times I heard the name Ronnie Woo Woo, I honestly thought it was a nickname for Ron Santo.

[EDIT: Please null and void my questions and observations for this post, assuming the info in this link is accurate... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Woo_Woo]