PDA

View Full Version : What's an "option"

ma-gaga
06-27-2002, 10:46 AM
Can anyone define that for me? I know we keep talking about Crede being "out of options" after this year, and from what I surmise that means he has to make the Major League Roster and stay there sometime this year.

Can the Sox call him up now, send him back down in July, then call him back up in September again?

What are the rules of "options"?

Jerry_Manuel
06-27-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
Can anyone define that for me? I know we keep talking about Crede being "out of options" after this year, and from what I surmise that means he has to make the Major League Roster and stay there sometime this year.

Can the Sox call him up now, send him back down in July, then call him back up in September again?

What are the rules of "options"?

If the Sox call up Crede today, then he has to stay with the team. I believe they can attempt to send him down again, but he would have to clear waivers before he could go back to AAA.

Paulwny
06-27-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

If the Sox call up Crede today, then he has to stay with the team. I believe they can attempt to send him down again, but he would have to clear waivers before he could go back to AAA.

Correct JM, I located this:

Options"
After three years as a pro, a player must be protected on a team's 40-man roster, or he is eligible for the Rule 5 draft (more on that later). Once he's served those three years, and assuming he is added to the 40-man roster, his club then has what are called "options" on him.

When a player is on the 40-man roster but not on the 25-man Major League roster, he is on "optional assignment." One common misconception about the rules is that a player may only be "optioned out" three times. Actually, each player has three option years, and he can be sent up and down as many times as the club chooses within those three seasons.

When you hear that a player is "out of options," that means he's been on the 40-man roster during three different seasons, beginning with his fourth as a pro, and to be sent down again he'll have to clear waivers

Jerry_Manuel
06-27-2002, 11:02 AM
Thanks Paul.

ma-gaga
06-27-2002, 12:44 PM
thanks!

Iwritecode
06-27-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
When a player is on the 40-man roster but not on the 25-man Major League roster, he is on "optional assignment." One common misconception about the rules is that a player may only be "optioned out" three times. Actually, each player has three option years, and he can be sent up and down as many times as the club chooses within those three seasons.

When you hear that a player is "out of options," that means he's been on the 40-man roster during three different seasons, beginning with his fourth as a pro, and to be sent down again he'll have to clear waivers

I had always heard that they could only be optioned three times too. I didn't realize it three years, not three times... So how long have Josh Paul and Joe Crede been on the 40-man roster?

ode to veeck
06-27-2002, 03:44 PM
and unlike josh paul, crede has just about a snowball's chance in hell of clearing waivers should he come up and the sox try to send him down again

gee I posted the word hell, maybe the 9th circuit appeals court will come get me too

baggio202
06-27-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

I had always heard that they could only be optioned three times too. I didn't realize it three years, not three times... So how long have Josh Paul and Joe Crede been on the 40-man roster?

question..since you can bring a guy up and down as man times as you want in the same season and it counts as only optioned used...if we bring up crede and send him down isnt he stil on his 3rd option since we sent him down at the beginning of this season???..if that was his 3rd option then we should be able to bring him up and send him down as many times as we want this year...or did i not understand that properly???

thanks for whoever knows in advance

Randar68
06-27-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by baggio202

question..since you can bring a guy up and down as man times as you want in the same season and it counts as only optioned used...if we bring up crede and send him down isnt he stil on his 3rd option since we sent him down at the beginning of this season???..if that was his 3rd option then we should be able to bring him up and send him down as many times as we want this year...or did i not understand that properly???

thanks for whoever knows in advance

If we bring him up and add him to the 25-man roster, he will have to clear waivers in order to be sent back down.

ma-gaga
06-27-2002, 04:18 PM
So when they sent him down to the minors in spring training this year, why wasn't he exposed to waivers?

Is opening day the start of the 'option' year? Or is it before?

Randar68
06-27-2002, 04:24 PM
So when they sent him down to the minors in spring training this year, why wasn't he exposed to waivers?

That, I'm not sure about...

Daver
06-27-2002, 04:34 PM

I got this from Rob Neyer at ESPN. com

After three years as a pro, a player must be protected on a team's 40-man roster, or he is eligible for the Rule 5 draft (more on that later). Once he's served those three years, and assuming he is added to the 40-man roster, his club then has what are called "options" on him.

When you hear that a player is "out of options," that means he's been on the 40-man roster during three different seasons, beginning with his fourth as a pro, and to be sent down again he'll have to clear waivers (more on those below).

MattSharp
06-27-2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by daver

I got this from Rob Neyer at ESPN. com

When you hear that a player is "out of options," that means he's been on the 40-man roster during three different seasons, beginning with his fourth as a pro, and to be sent down again he'll have to clear waivers (more on those below).

No offense daver, but this exact thing was posted earlier in the post.

And I don't believe Spring Training counts towards options, but I could be wrong.