PDA

View Full Version : The Sox Offense

thedudeabides
09-01-2010, 08:23 PM
The Sox offense has been ridiculed a lot this year. I just wanted to point out a couple of things that would probably surprise some people. The first link is the AL rankings by runs. If you include the Sox totals today, they have scored more runs than the Twins(that'll change if the Twins score more than 4 this game). They have also scored the 2nd most runs since the all star break in all of baseball.

2010 AL Runs (http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/league/al)

Since AllStar Break (http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/split/182)

I don't mean this at all to be an I told you so(because I didn't predict this), I just wanted to say the Sox offense is getting a very bad rap. If people could actually set aside the DH debacle, this offense has been very good, especially when you consider how they started.

AlexRios51
09-01-2010, 08:34 PM
The Sox offense has been ridiculed a lot this year. I just wanted to point out a couple of things that would probably surprise some people. The first link is the AL rankings by runs. If you include the Sox totals today, they have scored more runs than the Twins(that'll change if the Twins score more than 4 this game). They have also scored the 2nd most runs since the all star break in all of baseball.

2010 AL Runs (http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/league/al)

Since AllStar Break (http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/split/182)

I don't mean this at all to be an I told you so(because I didn't predict this), I just wanted to say the Sox offense is getting a very bad rap. If people could actually set aside the DH debacle, this offense has been very good, especially when you consider how they started.

I am very shocked to see those stats, if only our pitching could hold up, we'd be set.

Frater Perdurabo
09-01-2010, 08:50 PM
I'm glad the Sox are hitting better and scoring more runs during the second half.

I just wish they weren't so terrible in April and May. There were plenty of winnable games that the Sox lost, especially in April. A legitimate DH might have helped the Sox win 3-5 more games in April and May, which in turn would mean they would be withing a game of the Twins right now.

Carneyman14
09-01-2010, 08:58 PM
We are getting a lot of useless runs. ( I know no runs are useless) but we will lose 9-10 one night and lose 2-1 the next night. We are left doing this half the time :scratch:. I really don't know who to blame?

Pablo_Honey
09-01-2010, 09:10 PM
I just hate the shutdown mode this offense seems to go into after scoring what seems to be a reasonable amount, instead of squeezing out a few more runs to pad onto the lead. With the rotation and pen in disarray, it would really help if the offense beat up a pitcher when they should and score more than one run late in the game.

Dibbs
09-01-2010, 09:50 PM
This doesn't mean we should go with a terrible DH just because our offense isn't that bad. Kotsay does not deserve to be in the majors. The DH situation is the reason so many were upset. It blows my mind Kotsay got more at-bats than Jones despite having an OPS over 100 points lower. I'm so happy we got Manny.

johnnyg83
09-01-2010, 11:19 PM
We also lead the league in BA with RISP, which boggles my mind.

TDog
09-02-2010, 01:35 AM
We also lead the league in BA with RISP, which boggles my mind.

In the first game of the Indians series, when many fans were complaining about the White Sox squandering opportunities with runners in scoring position, taking only a 6-3 lead into the ninth, the Sox ended up hitting .316 (6 for 19) with runners in scoring position. That sounds pretty good. But if you're watching the game, and you see your team failing 13 of 19 times in a game with runners in scoring position, you're probably not going to be happy with the results.

Averages are just averages, but they show there hasn't been a huge difference between the Twins and White Sox offensively. Through August, the Sox were hitting .284 with runners in scoring position and .271 overall. The Twins were hitting .281 with RISP and .279 overall. The Twins were slugging .431 and the White Sox are slugging .430. The Twins had scored three ore runs than the Sox.

I have never believed there was anything wrong with the 2010 White Sox offense, although a number of players got off to horrendous starts. A lot of fans haven't notice the improvement.

bunty_doghunter
09-02-2010, 01:42 AM
I am very shocked to see those stats, if only our pitching could hold up, we'd be set.
Can Manny pitch?

kufram
09-02-2010, 02:53 AM
No one was happy with the April/May offense. It was just never going to carry on that bad and that was clear from the wildly low numbers put up by everyone but Rios and PK. The others were bound to hit better than their lifetime average at some point and most have come through. We never had a poor offense... just a streaky one, which can be frustrating and exciting at different times.

I'm tired of the DH argument because it's done. The plan was not wrong. Kotsay/Jones didn't hit. Maybe Pk has had such a great year because he got to DH for rest instead of bench for rest. Maybe Carlos has been healthier for the same reason.

I think Manny's reputation is as big a plus as his hitting will be. He looks a little pudgy to me. Everyone knows that Manny is, maybe was, one of the great hitters. Having him for Sept. and hopefully Oct. is as good for the rep as much as for the rips.

A streaky team is dangerous at any time. A streaky team with 4 great starters is dangerous in October. There are some pieces to fall in the right places but I'm sure glad management didn't panic in May when so many fans did and were ready to write the season off. Some fans were writing the season off in the 6th inning last night.

DonnieDarko
09-02-2010, 03:41 AM
The sad thing is, though...just about any loss now could be the end of the season--especially against the dreaded Twins. Only advantage we have there is that we'll be at home against them, but that hasn't proven to be worth much this year so far.

We just have to hope that the Sox go on a nice streak and that Texas and KC help Minnesota to hit a nice, hard brick wall.

kufram
09-02-2010, 07:41 AM
The sad thing is, though...just about any loss now could be the end of the season--especially against the dreaded Twins. Only advantage we have there is that we'll be at home against them, but that hasn't proven to be worth much this year so far.

We just have to hope that the Sox go on a nice streak and that Texas and KC help Minnesota to hit a nice, hard brick wall.

There are a lot of teams that would trade places with us in an instant. To have given up in May and let a player like Konerko go would have been sad. I haven't got time to be regretful about last May or last off season. I'm far too busy being hopeful about the future.

We don't need Minn. to hit a brick wall. We need them to lose a couple of games. Perspective.

hawkjt
09-02-2010, 09:55 AM
We attended a number of those games in April and May..it was cold,with no hitting,and lots of losses. I kept telling my son that this would mean that the guys not hitting would have to get very hot to get back to their career numbers,which could bode well for the Sox later in the year.
I was not sure it would actually happen,but it sounded hopeful and kept us mentally in the season...and by gosh...it came true!!

Greg Walker gets abused all spring,but never gets a compliment on here...way to go Greg!!

dickallen15
09-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Greg Walker isn't a bad hitting coach.

DumpJerry
09-02-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm not surprised that most of the surprised people in this thread are not in the Chicago area. If you have been listening to Rongey the past couple of weeks, he has been going over the offensive stats for the Sox and MLB and the Sox are in the top 5 of almost every category and number one in a few since August 1st.

shingo10
09-02-2010, 01:21 PM
No one was happy with the April/May offense. It was just never going to carry on that bad and that was clear from the wildly low numbers put up by everyone but Rios and PK. The others were bound to hit better than their lifetime average at some point and most have come through. We never had a poor offense... just a streaky one, which can be frustrating and exciting at different times.

I'm tired of the DH argument because it's done. The plan was not wrong. Kotsay/Jones didn't hit. Maybe Pk has had such a great year because he got to DH for rest instead of bench for rest. Maybe Carlos has been healthier for the same reason.

I think Manny's reputation is as big a plus as his hitting will be. He looks a little pudgy to me. Everyone knows that Manny is, maybe was, one of the great hitters. Having him for Sept. and hopefully Oct. is as good for the rep as much as for the rips.

A streaky team is dangerous at any time. A streaky team with 4 great starters is dangerous in October. There are some pieces to fall in the right places but I'm sure glad management didn't panic in May when so many fans did and were ready to write the season off. Some fans were writing the season off in the 6th inning last night.

Excellent Post.

downstairs
09-02-2010, 01:57 PM
I've never been concerned about a single aspect of our game, I've been concerned about consistency.

When the pitchers show up, the offense doesn't. And vice-versa.

We're 13 games above .500, with a run differental of +77. So we're doing something right. But it seems that "right" doesn't show up all the time.

Seems like we lose some games 10-9, and some games 1-0.

Lip Man 1
09-02-2010, 04:00 PM
They've lost 16 games this year where they held the opponent to three runs or less. That helps prove your point.

Lip

fram40
09-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Seems like we lose some games 10-9, and some games 1-0.

But what team doesn't? Here is a quick comparision

2010 Yankees - avg of 5.42 RPG; They have been shut out 7 times, 8 games held to one run (1 win), 10 games held to 2 runs (3 wins) , 18 games held to 3 runs (7 wins).
Total of 43 games held to 3 runs or less - they won 11 of those games.

2010 Sox - avg of 4.78 RPG; 4 shutouts, held to 1 run 14 times (2 wins), 2 runs 19 times (3 wins), held to 3 runs only 11 times (3 wins).
Total of 48 games held to 3 runs or less - only 8 wins.

fram40
09-03-2010, 04:54 PM
They've lost 16 games this year where they held the opponent to three runs or less. That helps prove your point.

Lip

Yankees have lost 8 games holding the opponents to 3 runs or less. Out of a total of 67 games.

Sox have a total of 64 games holding the opponent to 3 runs or less.