PDA

View Full Version : White Sox-Red Sox- Prime

LITTLE NELL
09-01-2010, 12:19 PM
On the last homestand of the season the Red Sox are in for 4 games and they are being priced as prime, now think about, is there anyone on the Red Sox that you would pay extra bucks to see? Big Papi? no way. Beltre? having a nice season but not a superstar. JD Drew? please.
Bottom line this Prime game pricing is a joke and has to stop.

PS Do the Yankees have any "Prime Games".

hi im skot
09-01-2010, 12:23 PM
It's all about getting Red Sox fans to spend the extra money to see their team.

Say what you will about Boston fans, but they definitely travel.

SephClone89
09-01-2010, 12:24 PM
I think you mean "Premium." "Prime" is the second tier of pricing.

And it doesn't look like the Yankees have tiered pricing. Most clubs, however, do.

C-Dawg
09-01-2010, 12:26 PM

And they love coming here because there are a ton of direct flights to Chicago.

hawkjt
09-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Hello? The Red Sox,Yankees and Cubs draw the biggest crowds of the year at Soxpark...so the Sox do the smart business move...charge more.
Sorry, but this happens everywhere in sports. Like at Iowa St,they make Iowa fans buy a season ticket to get the priviledge of attending the Iowa-ISU football game...not fair, but it is the only game ISU sell's out cept for maybe Nebraska,who they also rip-off.

doublem23
09-01-2010, 12:39 PM

Yeah, this comes up every year so I'm tired of doing it, but even with "evil" tiered game pricing, the most expensive games generally are the highest attended, as well. Aside from that disaster with the Dodgers last year (nobody cares about the 1959 connection any more), the Sox are smart for making those series more expensive. If poeple are willing to pay, why not charge those prices? Otherwise, the tickets will be scooped up by scalpers and ****, and they'll just pocket all the profits.

Flamer
09-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Yeah, this comes up every year so I'm tired of doing it, but even with "evil" tiered game pricing, the most expensive games generally are the highest attended, as well. Aside from that disaster with the Dodgers last year (nobody cares about the 1959 connection any more), the Sox are smart for making those series more expensive. If poeple are willing to pay, why not charge those prices? Otherwise, the tickets will be scooped up by scalpers and ****, and they'll just pocket all the profits.

Indeed it's a mere matter of economics. If the White Sox won't charge a higher price to meet the higher demand, scalpers will. Better to have the Sox make money than some scalpers.

Sam Spade
09-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Its just economics. If enough people show up to the point where the sox make more money total, then the price is justified.

Edit: should have read the thread.

doublem23
09-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Highest Attendance, 2010

June 27 v. Cubs - 39,682
June 26 v. Cubs - 39,479
August 29 v. Yankees - 39,433
June 25, v. Cubs - 39,364
April 5, vs. Indians - 38,935
July 26, vs. Mariners - 38,815
August 28, vs. Yankees - 38,811
August 27, vs. Yankees - 38,596
July 5, v. Angels - 38,092
August 14 v. Tigers - 36,548
So the breakdown is 7 of the top 10 games attendance-wise were either Premier or Cubs, the most expensive tickets you can find. 1 was a Prime ticket game, still above regularly priced nights, and the other 2 were 1/2 Price Mondays.

Madvora
09-01-2010, 12:57 PM
The Cub fans all think they're Red Sox fans too, so they're going to show up.

fox23
09-01-2010, 02:51 PM
On the last homestand of the season the Red Sox are in for 4 games and they are being priced as prime, now think about, is there anyone on the Red Sox that you would pay extra bucks to see? Big Papi? no way. Beltre? having a nice season but not a superstar. JD Drew? please.

PS Do the Yankees have any "Prime Games".

Yeah, good luck convincing teams to lower their prices to the most popular games of the season. Supply and demand.

DumpJerry
09-01-2010, 02:57 PM
I agree. You know what else is a joke? Signing players to multi-million dollar contracts.

balke
09-01-2010, 03:16 PM
1) More Red Sox fans show up than White Sox fans for these series everytime I end up getting a ticket - so why NOT charge more?

2) Was prime set pre-season? If so - Beckett/vmart/Pedroia/Youk/Ellsbury/Papelbon and the bunch did have more appeal. Now - not so much.

LITTLE NELL
09-01-2010, 03:18 PM
I wonder how may BoSox fans are going to show up for this series what with them being 8 games out now and after we sweep them this weekend they could be 12 games out by late Sept.

LITTLE NELL
09-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Its just economics. If enough people show up to the point where the sox make more money total, then the price is justified.

Edit: should have read the thread.

No, its gouging

ilsox7
09-01-2010, 03:21 PM
I wonder how may BoSox fans are going to show up for this series what with them being 8 games out now and after we sweep them this weekend they could be 12 games out by late Sept.

They bought those tickets in the spring. It is smart business by the Sox. Kudos to them!

doublem23
09-01-2010, 03:30 PM
No, its gouging

So you'd prefer to create a windfall for scalpers instead of having money go directly to the Sox, you know, the ones who actually put the product on the field?

I would be more willing to agree with you if the Premier price dates never sold well. But they do. People pack the park at these prices, so it's justified.

fox23
09-01-2010, 03:33 PM

A lot of them. Suspiciously enough they will all talk about how they are really Cubs fans but that they share a special bond with the Red Sox. You will be able to spot them as they will either be wearing pink hats or a popped collar shirt. if you are blind and unable to see them, then just listen for them talking about how much better Wrigley is and how there's no bars next to the park.

fox23
09-01-2010, 03:35 PM
No, its gouging

I think you must have forgot about the part where tens of thousands of people are happily forking of money to have a good time and enjoy the game.

LITTLE NELL
09-01-2010, 03:38 PM
I think you must have forgot about the part where tens of thousands of people are happily forking of money to have a good time and enjoy the game.

Yeah, but I'll have a better time when I'm spending less money for the same seat.
Don't forget I'm on a fixed income.
I have made my points and I'm not going to win against some of you as I can see this is a generational issue. I go back to when life was a lot simpler and box seats were $2.50 and general admission (WHATS THAT) was $1.25 regardless
of who the Sox were playing, the Yankees or the Washington Senators.

fox23
09-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Yeah, but I'll have a better time when I'm spending less money for the same seat.

And that's great (and so will I watching them play a team I care about), but it still has nothing to do with the Sox charging more for the more popular games.

ilsox7
09-01-2010, 03:43 PM
A lot of them. Suspiciously enough they will all talk about how they are really Cubs fans but that they share a special bond with the Red Sox. You will be able to spot them as they will either be wearing pink hats or a popped collar shirt. if you are blind and unable to see them, then just listen for them talking about how much better Wrigley is and how there's no bars next to the park.

Disagree. There will be a ton of actual people from Boston flying in or Boston transplants. Hell, I am going to a Patio Party for one of the games organized by a Boston fan.

doublem23
09-01-2010, 03:45 PM

WHAT PART OF THIS DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND

That's the point of tiered pricing, folks like you and I who don't have any special interest in seeing the Sawx can still go and watch one of the other 65 or so home games this year that aren't outrageously expensive. But, the Sox still make max money on the people who are only interested in the Red Sox, which they can funnell back into payroll or whatever.

Win-win.

This may come as a shock to you, but the Sox have to cater to a lot of fans with varying amounts of cash they want to spend on a baseball game. So just because premier ticket pricing doesn't work well for your budget, doesn't make it a bad thing, as indicated by the 38,000+ people who have shown up to every Premier priced game this season.

oeo
09-01-2010, 03:48 PM

Also, about 95% of Cubs fans consider themselves Red Sox fans as well.

C-Dawg
09-01-2010, 03:52 PM
A lot of them. Suspiciously enough they will all talk about how they are really Cubs fans but that they share a special bond with the Red Sox.

I dunno. Although every Cub fan I know was suddenly a huge Red Sox fan after 2004, most have wised up and realized that its still not the Cubs' "turn", particularly after the Red Sox won again in 2007. That "bond" they supposedly shared was pretty flimsy I guess.

DumpJerry
09-01-2010, 03:53 PM
I have made my points and I'm not going to win against some of you as I can see this is a generational issue. I go back to when life was a lot simpler and box seats were $2.50 and general admission (WHATS THAT) was $1.25 regardless
To go back to these days means getting rid of free agency. That was when salaries were "under control."

fox23
09-01-2010, 03:53 PM
I dunno. Although every Cub fan I know was suddenly a huge Red Sox fan after 2004, most have wised up and realized that its still not the Cubs' "turn", particularly after the Red Sox won again in 2007. That "bond" they supposedly shared was pretty flimsy I guess.

Your Cubs fans friends must be far more intelligent than mine then.

C-Dawg
09-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Your Cubs fans friends must be far more intelligent than mine then.

I might be exaggerating. I should have said "some" of them. :gulp:

kittle42
09-01-2010, 03:56 PM
WHAT PART OF THIS DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND

That's the point of tiered pricing, folks like you and I who don't have any special interest in seeing the Sawx can still go and watch one of the other 65 or so home games this year that aren't outrageously expensive. But, the Sox still make max money on the people who are only interested in the Red Sox, which they can funnell back into payroll or whatever.

Win-win.

This may come as a shock to you, but the Sox have to cater to a lot of fans with varying amounts of cash they want to spend on a baseball game. So just because premier ticket pricing doesn't work well for your budget, doesn't make it a bad thing, as indicated by the 38,000+ people who have shown up to every Premier priced game this season.

Quiet with your facts and logic, whipper-snapper!

doublem23
09-01-2010, 03:57 PM

Oh, cut the ****, you can pine for the good ol' days when tickets cost a fistful of change for every seat regardless of opponent, and still comprehend why, in 2010, the Sox (and every other team that does it) are making a savvy business move by charging more for games that historically draw very, very well.

C-Dawg
09-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Quiet with your facts and logic, whipper-snapper!

Old age and treachery will eventually overcome youth and skill! :gulp:

fox23
09-01-2010, 03:58 PM
So really the entire point of this thread was to pine for the good old days? Okay, got it.

kittle42
09-01-2010, 04:22 PM
So really the entire point of this thread was to pine for the good old days? Okay, got it.

You know what I'm tired of? The forward pass!

ilsox7
09-01-2010, 04:29 PM

I'm sick of fire and the wheel.

daveeym
09-02-2010, 08:54 AM
Get off my lawn you snot nosed punks. On a more serious note, does anyone have a delorean equipped with a flux capacitor and a spare 1.21 gigawatts lying around?

ewokpelts
09-02-2010, 09:45 AM

PS Do the Yankees have any "Prime Games".Correction: PREMIUM PRICES. $34 for upper deck.

Prime Games are $10 less in the lower deck than premium. Lower Box for this series will be $53.

ewokpelts
09-02-2010, 09:52 AM
I think it was a mistake to price the red sox games as premium. Especially since last year the sox/sox series didnt draw well. And this series was the next to last home series of the year.and on a weekday. If the red sox were in it, the fans would be saving money for playoff tix. but with them out, you have fans saying "screw it, i cant afford a trip to chicago".

This should have been prime, so that the sales staff could offer more discounts to get people in the door.

But as it is right now, tix are on stubhub for $15 and up. so get them there nellie.

#1swisher
09-02-2010, 09:59 AM

How much do you pay for a round of golf, these days?

Ex-Chicagoan
09-02-2010, 10:37 AM

So am I. Same amount, every check. The difference is - pensioners/social security sometimes get cost of living adjustments, and I haven't seen a raise in two years. We'll leave that argument out then, shall we?

doublem23
09-02-2010, 10:40 AM
So am I. Same amount, every check. The difference is - pensioners/social security sometimes get cost of living adjustments, and I haven't seen a raise in two years. We'll leave that argument out then, shall we?

Yeah, we will. I understand the No Politics = No Politics rule can sometimes be ambiguous or vague (I mean, are this politically charged topic has to be OK, am I right?) but seriously.

No Politics = No Politics

ewokpelts
09-02-2010, 11:03 AM
If you dont like the price, dont go to the game.

There's a discount code out there if you're interested.

soxfanreggie
09-02-2010, 11:15 AM
To go back to these days means getting rid of free agency. That was when salaries were "under control."

I think you could still have free agency but the bigger thing is the salary control. If they put a lid on salaries per player or team and the owners were willing to not make maximum profit, then we could have a lot cheaper tickets.

A player could still go to other teams but there could be a max. salary of $5 million or $10 million - not that players or owners have the incentive to go for this option right now.

How much do you pay for a round of golf, these days?

A side note about golf pricing: I have seen some great deals on golf pricing. It really depends on if you have a membership to a course/club. I know some people who golf 6 rounds a week (over 100 rounds in a season) and pay about $750 to $1,000 for that. I also know I could have bought a place down here in Florida where the course was free for owners. You still pay for upkeep as a part of your maintenance fees though.

LITTLE NELL
09-02-2010, 02:04 PM
I think you could still have free agency but the bigger thing is the salary control. If they put a lid on salaries per player or team and the owners were willing to not make maximum profit, then we could have a lot cheaper tickets.

A player could still go to other teams but there could be a max. salary of $5 million or $10 million - not that players or owners have the incentive to go for this option right now.

A side note about golf pricing: I have seen some great deals on golf pricing. It really depends on if you have a membership to a course/club. I know some people who golf 6 rounds a week (over 100 rounds in a season) and pay about $750 to $1,000 for that. I also know I could have bought a place down here in Florida where the course was free for owners. You still pay for upkeep as a part of your maintenance fees though.

To tell you the truth, we lived at a gated golf community for 16 years in Bonita Springs. Our Master Board was spending money like drunken sailors until I finally had enough. I was paying 6480.00 in golf dues plus a 750.00 trail fee for the my own cart. Plus I had to spend 900.00 a year in the dining room plus another 3600.00 in Condo fees.
We finally had enough and moved up here to Sebring where I'm paying 2000.00 plus a trail fee of 1000.00 a year and my new club has 2 great courses. Its a little cooler in the winter but not by much, maybe 5 degrees at the most, we are 70 miles south of Orlando and so far loving it. Easy to get to St Pete to see the Sox play, no premier pricing to see the Sox in the Trop, only the Yankees and the BoSox.

#1swisher
09-02-2010, 02:09 PM
To tell you the truth, we lived at a gated golf community for 16 years in Bonita Springs. Our Master Board was spending money like drunken sailors until I finally had enough. I was paying 6480.00 in golf dues plus a 750.00 trail fee for the my own cart. Plus I had to spend 900.00 a year in the dining room plus another 3600.00 in Condo fees.
We finally had enough and moved up here to Sebring where I'm paying 2000.00 plus a trail fee of 1000.00 a year and my new club has 2 great courses. Its a little cooler in the winter but not by much, maybe 5 degrees at the most, we are 70 miles south of Orlando and so far loving it. Easy to get to St Pete to see the Sox play, no premier pricing to see the Sox in the Trop, only the Yankees and the BoSox.

Is that an invitation?:redneck Road Trip!

TomBradley72
09-02-2010, 04:36 PM

And night baseball!
Air travel? Bull****!
Uniforms that are not made of flannel? More bull****!
Replays on the scoreboard? Not in my day. :geezer:

TomBradley72
09-02-2010, 04:39 PM

You're spending thousands of dollars a year on golf but premier/prime ticket pricing for White Sox games is pissing you off?

LITTLE NELL
09-02-2010, 05:17 PM
You're spending thousands of dollars a year on golf but premier/prime ticket pricing for White Sox games is pissing you off?

I worked hard for many years to enjoy my retirement playing golf.
I was crucified and made fun of by a few of you yesterday but I can't help how old I am but I am a product of the 50s. Some things were better back then and some things were worse and in my opinion different prices for the better teams coming into USCF or the Trop or Wrigley is just not right. A Major League Baseball game is a Major League baseball game.

ewokpelts
09-02-2010, 05:32 PM
I worked hard for many years to enjoy my retirement playing golf.
I was crucified and made fun of by a few of you yesterday but I can't help how old I am but I am a product of the 50s. Some things were better back then and some things were worse and in my opinion different prices for the better teams coming into USCF or the Trop or Wrigley is just not right. A Major League Baseball game is a Major League baseball game.either the sox raise ALL prices, or they raise the price son different opponents. $20 for royals on a weekday vs. $35 for cubs in the upper deck. the cubs game will sell out no matter what. but they cant justify $35, or even @7.50(splitting the difference) for a UDR seat.

cub killer
09-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Also, about 95% of Cubs fans consider themselves Red Sox fans as well.
I have yet to meet a Red Sox fan that feels this "connection" with cub fans.

LongLiveFisk
09-02-2010, 10:28 PM
I have yet to meet a Red Sox fan that feels this "connection" with cub fans.

Ditto. And if you mention it to one, they're like, "Huh?" :?: :scratch:

Taliesinrk
09-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Ditto. And if you mention it to one, they're like, "Huh?" :?: :scratch:

Which, ironically, is the same reaction they both have when anything about the game of baseball is mentioned to them.

UofCSoxFan
09-03-2010, 11:46 AM
If you dont like the price, dont go to the game.

There's a discount code out there if you're interested.

No kidding. I'm sick of people complaining about prices. The White Sox are a "for-profit" business. They have shareholders who they are responsible to to maximize profit. Maximizing attendance is not the same as maximizing profits. If it's too expensive, or if it's not worth it to you, don't go. If enough people feel this way, the market will dictate that the prices go down.

The Sox could sell out every game by charging $1 a ticket but would be leaving a lot of money on the table. Hell, if one person in the world would pay $100 million for a ticket, which would mean an attendance of 1, the White Sox would be advised to price every ticket at $100 million.

It's incredibly poor economics to charge the same price for every game. Weekend games, rivalry games and games agains the Red Sox and Yankees and Cubs have a higher demand and are more valuable. This is economics 101. If the Sox charged a lower price for these games, the likely scenario is that scalpers would reap the profits rather than the club.

ewokpelts
09-03-2010, 12:02 PM
No kidding. I'm sick of people complaining about prices. The White Sox are a "for-profit" business. They have shareholders who they are responsible to to maximize profit. Maximizing attendance is not the same as maximizing profits. If it's too expensive, or if it's not worth it to you, don't go. If enough people feel this way, the market will dictate that the prices go down.

The Sox could sell out every game by charging $1 a ticket but would be leaving a lot of money on the table. Hell, if one person in the world would pay $100 million for a ticket, which would mean an attendance of 1, the White Sox would be advised to price every ticket at $100 million.

It's incredibly poor economics to charge the same price for every game. Weekend games, rivalry games and games agains the Red Sox and Yankees and Cubs have a higher demand and are more valuable. This is economics 101. If the Sox charged a lower price for these games, the likely scenario is that scalpers would reap the profits rather than the club.The sox priced this series wrong. that much is true. $15 tickets ons tubhub tell that story very well.

BUT, they are still the arbiters of pricing.the brass felt that red sox fans would come and make up the difference.

meanwhile, the "regular" summer weeknight games in august against the orioles were under 26k a game. with upper level tix as low as $20 before discounting. it's a delicate balance to find the right price.

the sox have more than enough offers out there to get people in on the cheap. fact is, the red sox series is always one where STHs dump thier tix to red sox fans asap. I know I prefer to not have to deal with them.