PDA

View Full Version : Question about the disabled list(s)

StillMissOzzie
08-31-2010, 08:47 PM
First in a series of questions about MLB that maybe I should know but don't:

What's the advantage of putting a player on the 15 day disabled list instead of the 60 day disabled list, when the injury is clearly not going to be healed anywhere near those 15 days?

For example, I just saw that Jake Peavy was just moved from the 15 day DL to the 60 day DL. Clearly, Jake was not going to be ready to pitch within that initial 15 day DL stint, and won't be ready after another 60 days either.

So, why bother with the 15 day DL and and why not put Jake on the 60 day DL in the first place?

SMO
:scratch::?:

y2j2785
08-31-2010, 10:22 PM
I assume it has something to do with the 40 man roster. Once someone is put on the 60 day DL they are no longer on the 40 man roster. I wish I could answer this question for sure but I'm just assuming right now.

WhiteSox5187
08-31-2010, 10:31 PM
I assume it has something to do with the 40 man roster. Once someone is put on the 60 day DL they are no longer on the 40 man roster. I wish I could answer this question for sure but I'm just assuming right now.

I don't think that's it, I think you can call someone up to the forty man roster without having to make room on the roster.

DSpivack
08-31-2010, 10:32 PM

I'm pretty sure that's right.

y2j2785
08-31-2010, 10:46 PM
I don't think that's it, I think you can call someone up to the forty man roster without having to make room on the roster.

Well I remember hearing that they moved Peavy to the 60 day DL in order to make room on the 40 man roster for Manny. This is what I was basing my assumption off of.