PDA

View Full Version : Sept. Call Up Watch

Hitmen77
08-31-2010, 09:18 PM
Tomorrow is Sept. 1 and the rosters expand. Who are the Sox going to call up?

The following players are in the minors now, but on the 40 man roster:

Pitchers: Dolsi, Marquez, Nunez, Omogrosso, Santeliz, Torres (can be called up Sept 6), Williams

Position players: Flowers, Lucy, Viciedo, DeAza, Gartrell.

Also, Matt Thornton can come off the DL on Thursday.

If the Sox want to call up Morel, he has to be added to the 40 man roster.

kevingrt
08-31-2010, 09:34 PM
I'd assume Torres, Williams, Nunez, maybe Omoey or Saneliz.

As for hitters Lucy or Flowers, De Aza, and Viciedo.

Maybe both Lucy and Flowers.

Brian26
08-31-2010, 10:18 PM
I'm going to guess less will be more in their current situation.

Viciedo, Lucy (3rd catcher is a given), and Williams. Torres will be back on the 6th.

sox1970
08-31-2010, 10:23 PM
http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/22670628143

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=infant001gre

Gregory Infante isn't on the 40-man, so they'll need to dump somebody tomorrow. Maybe Omogrosso can be moved to the 60-day DL...not sure.

Lip Man 1
08-31-2010, 10:31 PM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/244888190/mug_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/MDGonzales)
MDGonzales (http://twitter.com/MDGonzales) P Gregory Infante expected to join Sox on Wed., Flowers, DeAza and Viciedo in Boston and Torres in Detroit.

Lip

sox1970
08-31-2010, 10:45 PM
Gonzales amended that. De Aza, Flowers should be there tomorrow. Viciedo may be there too.

http://twitter.com/MDGonzales/status/22670612972

Foulke You
08-31-2010, 11:42 PM
I can't see DeAza, Viciedo, or Flowers getting into many games down the stretch unless it is a blowout or someone gets hurt. DeAza possibly as a pinch runner?

UofCSoxFan
08-31-2010, 11:50 PM
I can't see DeAza, Viciedo, or Flowers getting into many games down the stretch unless it is a blowout or someone gets hurt. DeAza possibly as a pinch runner?

I think De Aza is used exclusively as a pinch runner and you can never have too many of those. Flowers will likely be an emergency catcher and allows us to pinch run (or in some cases pinch hit) for AJ. We can then sub in Castro the following defensive inning and not be in jeopardy of having no catcher due to injury.

Noneck
08-31-2010, 11:53 PM
Flowers will likely be an emergency catcher and allows us to pinch run (or in some cases pinch hit) for AJ.

Has AJ been pinch hit for since he has been a member of the Sox?

Hitmen77
09-01-2010, 12:07 AM

Gregory Infante isn't on the 40-man, so they'll need to dump somebody tomorrow. Maybe Omogrosso can be moved to the 60-day DL...not sure.

Threets could go to the 60-day DL too.

Does anybody have any information on what to expect from Infante (aside from the handy baseball reference link, that is)?

CWSpalehoseCWS
09-01-2010, 12:20 AM

Does anybody have any information on what to expect from Infante (aside from the handy baseball reference link, that is)?

I think he hit triple digits a few times this year. Serious heat.

EMachine10
09-01-2010, 02:55 PM

Omogrosso pitched last night.

salty99
09-01-2010, 02:59 PM

Santeliz was dropped to fit Infante on the 40 man roster.

sox1970
09-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Omogrosso pitched last night.

Shows how much I've paid attention to them this year. I thought he was on the DL all year.

hawkjt
09-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Any reason Morel would not be called up? Is he hurt? Could he be a late-inning defender at third? Seems like Omar is the only guy we can trust there.

doublem23
09-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Any reason Morel would not be called up? Is he hurt? Could he be a late-inning defender at third? Seems like Omar is the only guy we can trust there.

40-man roster is full, I believe.

mjmcend
09-01-2010, 04:12 PM

And it would start his arbitration clock. Not really worth that for a few innings of defensive replacement.

jcw218
09-01-2010, 04:12 PM

Yes, the 40-man roster is full. That might be part of the reason, but Infante was not on the 40 man roster either and got the call. The Sox designated Santeliz for assignment to make room. Maybe there is a limit as to the number of non roster additions that can be made.

downstairs
09-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Has AJ been pinch hit for since he has been a member of the Sox?

I'm sure its happened, he's been here for years... but I get your point? In what situation would we pinch hit for AJ? You pinch hit for players with zero power when you absolutely need power.

PorkChopExpress
09-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Yes, the 40-man roster is full. That might be part of the reason, but Infante was not on the 40 man roster either and got the call. The Sox designated Santeliz for assignment to make room. Maybe there is a limit as to the number of non roster additions that can be made.

I think it's probably just that a relief pitcher call-up may be more what the Sox need right now rather than another guy to play 3B as a defensive replacement.

Hitmen77
09-01-2010, 04:31 PM

They actually could move Threets to the 60 Day DL and free up a spot on the 40 man if they really wanted to make room for someone else.

DickAllen72
09-01-2010, 05:06 PM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/244888190/mug_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/MDGonzales)
MDGonzales (http://twitter.com/MDGonzales) P Gregory Infante expected to join Sox on Wed., Flowers, DeAza and Viciedo in Boston and Torres in Detroit.

Lip
Flowers??? What a disgrace!!! Now that the Sox have that known "Juicer" on the team I can't help but feel this season is now tainted. It's a dark day in White Sox history.

kittle42
09-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Flowers??? What a disgrace!!! Now that the Sox have that known "Juicer" on the team I can't help but feel this season is now tainted. It's a dark day in White Sox history.

How do we know that he is not *still* juicing? Most cheaters aren't scared straight.

sox1970
09-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Brent Morel is on his way to Boston.

Hitmen77
09-02-2010, 10:56 AM

Where did you hear this?

Also, is this to join the Sox or to work his side job with the Weather Channel?

sox1970
09-02-2010, 10:58 AM
http://twitter.com/MDGonzales/status/22802330567

Facebook, I guess.

PorkChopExpress
09-02-2010, 11:31 AM

I guess that Teahen Special yesterday convinced the brass that they may need a defensive replacement at 3B in case Vizquel is unavailable.

Hitmen77
09-02-2010, 11:44 AM
I guess that Teahen Special yesterday convinced the brass that they may need a defensive replacement at 3B in case Vizquel is unavailable.

Agreed. That error brought the winning run to the plate. We can't afford to be giving teams extra outs in innings anymore.

A big problem right now is that Beckham is not available (creating that hole at 3B if Vizquel moves over to 2B). The way the reports were talking about him still not being able to grip a bat yesterday, I wouldn't count on him being in the lineup for a few more days.

TDog
09-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Agreed. That error brought the winning run to the plate. We can't afford to be giving teams extra outs in innings anymore. ...

Teahen wasn't charged with an error and Sale brought the winning run to the plate by walking two hitters.

But I am not defending Teahen's defense.

DirtySox
09-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Looking forward to seeing Morel in some capacity.

Pablo_Honey
09-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Ugh I hope not. Not only is he playing through an injury, but we also have a plethora of third basemen with Omar, Dayan and Teab...I mean Teahen. I'd just let him finish the season in Charlotte and give him an early break so that his injury can heal up. Calling him up also starts his arb clock which is completely unnecessary for the aforementioned reason.

How do we know that he is not *still* juicing? Most cheaters aren't scared straight.
Hmm, that actually makes me wonder if his struggle this season has anything to do with that. A silly idea, yes, but it's surprising how much he has fallen off the map this year.

Hitmen77
09-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Teahen wasn't charged with an error and Sale brought the winning run to the plate by walking two hitters.

But I am not defending Teahen's defense.

I stand corrected on the official ruling of the play and the sequence of hitters, but regardless that throw wasn't good. A good throw would have ended the game right there. My point still stands that we can't afford to be giving away extra outs.

Hitmen77
09-02-2010, 12:54 PM

Hmm, that actually makes me wonder if his struggle this season has anything to do with that. A silly idea, yes, but it's surprising how much he has fallen off the map this year.

I guess I missed it. Was Flowers caught using PEDs at some point?

khan
09-02-2010, 12:59 PM
More importantly than Flowers' PED history, why are the SOX rewarding a guy with a crappy year by giving him a call-up?

Flowers hasn't EARNED a call-up with his play, IMO. He's looked like crap, and has done little to improve his game this year, based on his numbers.

doublem23
09-02-2010, 01:08 PM
I stand corrected on the official ruling of the play and the sequence of hitters, but regardless that throw wasn't good. A good throw would have ended the game right there. My point still stands that we can't afford to be giving away extra outs.

I'm sure it would have been an error had he not gotten the 1st out at 3rd... Can't assume a DP and nobody advanced because of the throw.

delben91
09-02-2010, 01:23 PM

Lip

Where art thou Donny Lucy?

Pablo_Honey
09-02-2010, 01:32 PM
I guess I missed it. Was Flowers caught using PEDs at some point?
http://thesteroidera.blogspot.com/2006/09/list-of-minor-league-suspensions-for.html
Scroll down to August 1, 2006.

Flowers hasn't EARNED a call-up with his play, IMO. He's looked like crap, and has done little to improve his game this year, based on his numbers.
Maybe they want him to work with AJ and/or Castro to work on his defense, similar to what they were trying to do with Viciedo. His defense will determine whether or not we go after a veteran catcher.

khan
09-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Maybe they want him to work with AJ and/or Castro to work on his defense, similar to what they were trying to do with Viciedo. His defense will determine whether or not we go after a veteran catcher.

1. If he's on the Viciedo Plan, I'm against it. I think we're still waiting for Viciedo's first walk since being promoted. Even worse, his slash numbers since returning to Charlotte were also craptacular the last time I looked at them.

2. I think that whether or not Flowers can hit at the MLB level will determine whether or not he still has value. His bat hasn't been as good as advertised this season. Defensively, there are other C in the organization [Lucy, for one] that are already MLB-ready.

Since AJ looks like he's "done," I wouldn't be surprised if the SOX went for a veteran C, REGARDLESS of what Flowers/Castro/Lucy do.

Pablo_Honey
09-02-2010, 03:41 PM
1. If he's on the Viciedo Plan, I'm against it. I think we're still waiting for Viciedo's first walk since being promoted. Even worse, his slash numbers since returning to Charlotte were also craptacular the last time I looked at them.
I agree. What they did with Dayan was downright stupid. It's stupid to mess with the development of a young prospect like him. Having said that, the time is running out on Flowers. The guy is already 24 and regressed majorly this year, so I can understand why they would want to see what they can work with before closing the book on him.

2. I think that whether or not Flowers can hit at the MLB level will determine whether or not he still has value. His bat hasn't been as good as advertised this season. Defensively, there are other C in the organization [Lucy, for one] that are already MLB-ready.
A lot of people have told me that catcher defense is so valuable that you have to be at least adequate defensively to be a starting catcher. Right now, Flowers is far from adequate. His bat has never been this bad so I'm willing to see what he can do next year but his glove has got to improve if he wants a shot at cracking the roster any time soon.

Since AJ looks like he's "done," I wouldn't be surprised if the SOX went for a veteran C, REGARDLESS of what Flowers/Castro/Lucy do.
Yeah, I think that's what will happen. I would be upset if they brought back AJ. He's been great for us but he's clearly wearing down and the organization made it clear non-performing aging veterans will be let go (Jose, Dye, Thome).

DirtySox
09-02-2010, 03:42 PM

Yep.

Neither Flowers or Lucy are worthy of a starting C job currently. Lucy could be a serviceable backup though.

Lip Man 1
09-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Victor Martinez and Miguel Olivo might be worth a look although Ozzie had issues with Olivo appearently (and reportedly so did the pitching staff on his game calling ability...)

Lip

DickAllen72
09-02-2010, 05:55 PM
AJ doesn't look "done" to me. In fact, he's been one of the Sox' hottest hitters lately.

Surely he's had a bad year offensively but that's probably all it is -- a bad year. Everyone has a couple in their careers. If he were "done" he'd get progressively worse as the year went on and he'd start missing a lot of games with various age related ailments. Neither of those things have happened.

I hope they re-sign AJ. If not, they better replace him with somebody really good, because Tyler Flowers is not the answer.

Lip Man 1
09-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Dick:

I've been told his contract situation has played seriously on his mind this season which may be part of the reason for his off year.

Lip

TDog
09-02-2010, 07:52 PM
I'm sure it would have been an error had he not gotten the 1st out at 3rd... Can't assume a DP and nobody advanced because of the throw.

Yes, it would have been. He got the out at third. If he doesn't throw at all, the runner reaches on a fielder's choice, so if he throws badly and no one advances, it's still a fielder's choice.

If Teahen doesn't get an out, the official scorer has to decide whether the batter reached on a hit or an error, and Teahen certainly would have been charged with an error.

Normally, Vizquel would have been in the game at third, but he was out of the game altogether, having been pinch-hit for after starting the game at second because Beckham was unable to play. Circumstances left the Sox with a fairly shaky infield at third and second the ninth. You may have guys who come up, get paid major league money for a month and never play, but there is no reason to run out of players at any position after you expand the rosters.

Last night, the Giants put in a pinch runner, a player who may be the fastest man in baseball, in the bottom of the eighth, just four innings after he got to the ballpark. In his major-league debut, he broke for third on a pitch that bounced about eight feet from Olivo, who pounced on the ball and hurried his throw into left field, which scored the winning run. The Giants won the game because of the expanded roster.

If you're contending, you have to take advantage of the roster expansion.

sox1970
09-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Torres went 7 innings for Charlotte tonight. 1 run.

Viciedo is still there.

Brian26
09-02-2010, 09:58 PM

It was a big topic on Chicago sports radio this morning. Hanley on WSCR couldn't grasp the concept that doubleplays cannot be assumed, and the Teahen play wasn't an error but just a fielder's choice.

DickAllen72
09-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Dick:

I've been told his contract situation has played seriously on his mind this season which may be part of the reason for his off year.

Lip
That's kind of what I figured. Everybody handles things differently. A guy like Konerko seems to play better when he's playing for a contract. AJ seems like a guy who plays better when he knows he's secure.

WhiteSox5187
09-03-2010, 01:10 AM
http://thesteroidera.blogspot.com/2006/09/list-of-minor-league-suspensions-for.html
Scroll down to August 1, 2006.

Just from what I have heard here (and read in the Trib) there's a pretty good chance that Flowers might not ever be a good defensive catcher and the fact that he hit .220 in a hitter friendly park and struck out almost 30% of the time to me suggests he might not contribute that much offensively either. If it were me I'd bring back AJ with a two year deal and be prepared to have a defensive first catcher with Lucy.

DirtySox
09-03-2010, 01:31 AM
Just from what I have heard here (and read in the Trib) there's a pretty good chance that Flowers might not ever be a good defensive catcher and the fact that he hit .220 in a hitter friendly park and struck out almost 30% of the time to me suggests he might not contribute that much offensively either. If it were me I'd bring back AJ with a two year deal and be prepared to have a defensive first catcher with Lucy.

Flowers isn't the answer for next year, and yuck at 2 more years of AJ. 1 year with an option would be the only thing that isn't cringe-worthy to me. I'd much rather Kenny sign someone or get creative through a trade. Bobby and AJ are two players I won't miss at all once gone.

CWSpalehoseCWS
09-03-2010, 01:45 AM

Wasn't there an interview earlier in the year where he said he switched his swing which caused him to pull the ball? IDK if that really is the case for why he's sucked so much at the plate, but I can't imagine that big of a drop off.

Hitmen77
09-03-2010, 09:56 AM

Trib story about Morel's promotion.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0903-bits-white-sox-chicago--20100902,0,2579636.story

khan
09-03-2010, 12:13 PM
AJ doesn't look "done" to me. In fact, he's been one of the Sox' hottest hitters lately.

Surely he's had a bad year offensively but that's probably all it is -- a bad year. Everyone has a couple in their careers. If he were "done" he'd get progressively worse as the year went on and he'd start missing a lot of games with various age related ailments. Neither of those things have happened.

I hope they re-sign AJ. If not, they better replace him with somebody really good, because Tyler Flowers is not the answer.
While I agree that Flowers does not look good right now, AJ clearly looks like he's on the downside of his career, August aside.

What's most disappointing [to me] is that he hasn't even bothered to take advantage of this being his contract year/probably his last chance at a decent contract.

I'd be for a 1+ an option at a reasonable price for AJ, assuming that the C available in FA in this and next offseason aren't notably better than a soon-to-be-34-year-old AJ.

NLaloosh
09-03-2010, 12:59 PM
I know that A.J. has flaws but all-around I don't think it will be easy for the Sox to upgrade from him.

He has been excellent defensively this year. He's a very smart player.

Flowers would be a huge downgrade and I don't know who the Sox could get without giving up someone good that would be better.

fram40
09-03-2010, 02:12 PM
It was a big topic on Chicago sports radio this morning. Hanley on WSCR couldn't grasp the concept that doubleplays cannot be assumed, and the Teahen play wasn't an error but just a fielder's choice.

Except the double play was not assumed - it was a fact. If the throw had been good.

I always thought the "assumed second out" applied only when the pivot man bobbled the throw at second base. Or threw poorly due to a take-out slide or some such thing. I thought it would not aplly on such an easy force and throw. But I assumed wrongly - as has been demonstrated many times before Wednesday's game

I understand the scoring rule - but it needs to be changed on plays such as Teahen's on Wednesday. That was an error on Teahen and should be scored as such. To not call an error at the major league level on that play is ridiculous.

sox1970
09-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Morel added; Threets moved to the 60-day DL.

ElevenUp
09-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Morel added; Threets moved to the 60-day DL.

If he does not have a nickname already I'm lobbying for calling him "Shroom"

DSpivack
09-03-2010, 05:18 PM
If he does not have a nickname already I'm lobbying for calling him "Shroom"

Why, is he a fun guy?

A. Cavatica
09-03-2010, 06:59 PM
A morel is a mushroom. http://thegreatmorel.com/

TheCommander
09-03-2010, 10:29 PM
A morel is a mushroom. http://thegreatmorel.com/

I think you missed the pun in his response. Fun guy= Fungi

GoSox2K3
09-04-2010, 12:41 AM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/09/morels-focus-on-now-not-2011.html

Here's a short article about Brent Morel. He's another good product of the Sox 2008 draft. I guess that means he'll be in line to be traded in July next year for an expensive Boras agent with one year left on his contract.:tongue:

cws05champ
09-04-2010, 08:55 AM

AJ looks like he'll be a type A free agent as well, so at worst they could offer arbitration. But then they would be on the hook for over $7M for one year of AJ.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/09/elias-rankings-update.html

We could conceivably have AJ, Konerko both leave as type A FA if we offer arbitration (which is not a foregone conclusion). Putz is a B as is Jenks.

sox1970
09-04-2010, 11:12 PM
Viciedo went 3-4 tonight, homer and he actually walked once. He'll probably get the call on Tuesday.

sox1970
09-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Viciedo and Torres are back with the team.