PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Bit Of White Sox Jersey Number Trivia......

Thome25
08-31-2010, 05:25 PM
2010 has been an interesting year for White Sox jersey #'s.

We all know about Vizquel being the first to wear number 11 for a full season since the Sox retired itfor Aparicio.

But Manny Ramirez's #99 became the highest number ever worn by a White Sox player in the regular season/playoffs in their 100+ year history.

That distinction was previously held by Tony Phillips in 1997 when he wore #73.

The previous highest # before that was worn by a certain player by the name of Carlton "Pudge" Fisk.

I found this to be interesting.......what about you?

TDog
08-31-2010, 05:37 PM

We all know about Vizquel being the first to wear number 11 since Aparicio. ...

No, we don't. Lee "Bee-Bee" Richard, whose selection in the first round of the 1970 draft paved the way for the White Sox to trade Aparicio to the Red Sox, originally was given Aparicio's No. 11. At the 1971 home opener, however, he sported No. 9. The White Sox believed there would be less pressure on him if he wore Minoso's old number.

NDSox12
08-31-2010, 05:38 PM
But Manny Ramirez's #99 became the highest number ever worn by a White Sox player in the regular season/playoffs in their 100+ year history.

That will be a tough record to beat.

Thome25
08-31-2010, 05:43 PM
No, we don't. Lee "Bee-Bee" Richard, whose selection in the first round of the 1970 draft paved the way for the White Sox to trade Aparicio to the Red Sox, originally was given Aparicio's No. 11. At the 1971 home opener, however, he sported No. 9. The White Sox believed there would be less pressure on him if he wore Minoso's old number.

Point taken......now that you mention it, I do remember reading about that.......thanks for clearing that up......

UofCSoxFan
08-31-2010, 06:06 PM

If only Bill Veeck was still around.

Brian26
08-31-2010, 07:07 PM

We all know about Vizquel being the first to wear number 11 for a full season since the Sox retired it for Aparicio.

Thome25 may not have been incorrect in what he said. Vizquel IS the first player to wear it since the Sox retired the number. Don't forget, though, that the number wasn't retired until 1984. Rudy Law wore #11 for the '82-'83 seasons and switched to a different number in mid-season 1984 after the Little Luis retirement.

Thome25
08-31-2010, 07:50 PM
Thome25 may not have been incorrect in what he said. Vizquel IS the first player to wear it since the Sox retired the number. Don't forget, though, that the number wasn't retired until 1984. Rudy Law wore #11 for the '82-'83 seasons and switched to a different number in mid-season 1984 after the Little Luis retirement.

I edited what I originally wrote. Initially, I said that Vizquel was the first one to wear #11 since Aparicio.

LITTLE NELL
08-31-2010, 07:53 PM
I edited what I originally wrote. Initially, I said that Vizquel was the first one to wear #11 since Aparicio.

I hope that is the last time we see a retired # being worn by someone else.
If the Sox ever let anyone wear #2................%$#&^%

WhiteSox5187
08-31-2010, 08:09 PM

If Harold Baines Jr. makes it he might wear number 3, but I'd be surprised. I don't mind Vizquel wearing number 11, after all he is a HOF shortstop from Venezuela and has Aparicio's permission.

soxinem1
08-31-2010, 08:39 PM

Unless they allow a fraction like Eddie Gaedel and give someone 99 3/8.

TDog
08-31-2010, 08:57 PM

I'm embarrassed and defer to your knowledge. I was looking for a technicality for an opening-day doubleheader at which there were no television cameras, and you came up with a player who wore 11 on network television in October.

RadioheadRocks
08-31-2010, 09:05 PM
Carlos May wore his birthday on the back of his uniform

MAY

SephClone89
08-31-2010, 09:06 PM

What, you don't think Beckham or Lillibridge are worthy? :cool:

soxfanreggie
08-31-2010, 09:21 PM

I defer to the player's choice. For example, if Frank had a son who played for the Sox and wanted him to be #35, let him have it.

nccwsfan
08-31-2010, 09:30 PM
We all know about Vizquel being the first to wear number 11 for a full season since the Sox retired itfor Aparicio.

Rudy Law (Leadoff hitter and CF for the 83' White Sox; he currently holds the CWS record for most SB in a single season) wore 11 until it was retired by the organization.

SephClone89
08-31-2010, 09:43 PM
Rudy Law (Leadoff hitter and CF for the 83' White Sox; he currently holds the CWS record for most SB in a single season) wore 11 until it was retired by the organization.

Somebody once told me that. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2609666&postcount=6)

g0g0
09-01-2010, 08:00 AM
Someone should get him red balloons.

nccwsfan
09-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Somebody once told me that. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2609666&postcount=6)

Well congratulations
:tongue:

Guess I glanced through too quickly- my bad.

Thome25
09-01-2010, 01:47 PM

I'm missing your point. This still makes Vizquel the first player to wear #11 for a full season since the White Sox retired it-- which is what I said.

nccwsfan
09-01-2010, 02:44 PM
I'm missing your point. This still makes Vizquel the first player to wear #11 for a full season since the White Sox retired it-- which is what I said.

There was no point....I didn't read the entire post word for word. Sorry!

gaelhound
09-06-2010, 05:22 PM
If I were King, numbers would not be retired. I would hold numbers that are historically significant in reserve. If a player came along and played a posistion so well, and contributed hugely to the team, he would as his career reached full bloom be offered the "reserved" number if he wanted to honor the previous wearer. Numbers would be virtually retired, but for that exceptioanl guy, it would be a reward, incentive, rememberance of excellence, and great for fan interest.

If a player came to play short for the Sox, put up 5 Gold Gloves, 4 steals titles, 6 All Star games, lead his posistion in BA and Rbis 6-7 times in his first decade with the team, # 11 might be trotted out as a reminder of Luis great career, and as a nice tip of the cap and education for younger fans.

Brian26
09-06-2010, 05:53 PM

Well, no, that's not what you said. You said Vizquel was the first to wear #11 since Aparacio. Your original post, before you edited it, can be found quoted by TDog:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2609568&postcount=2

I added on to TDog's reply by saying Rudy Law wore #11 from '82-'84:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2609666&postcount=6

Of course Vizquel was the first to wear #11 for a full season since the Sox retired it, because NOBODY has worn it for one inning since the Sox retired it. The problem with your original post is that you mistook that the Sox retired Aparacio's jersey immediately after he left the Sox and didn't realize they waited almost 14 years to retire it.