PDA

View Full Version : Rays players-manager 'disappointed' in Monday's crowd

Fenway
08-31-2010, 01:07 AM
I know school is back in Florida but still - less than 12,000 for a team that can easily win the AL Pennant and more.

http://www.nesn.com/2010/08/rays-down-blue-jays-in-front-of-less-than-12000-fans-in-tampa.html

GoGoCrede
08-31-2010, 01:10 AM
I feel bad for that franchise, really. If they played here, I'd go watch them.

palehozenychicty
08-31-2010, 01:38 AM
The Rays deserve better. They have figured out how to compete, and Toronto is slowly doing the same. I have a feeling that the Jays will get those people back when they compete for the division. Tampa may have to move the franchise somewhere else. For shame.

DaveFeelsRight
08-31-2010, 03:46 AM
i blame the trop. place is a dump.

LITTLE NELL
08-31-2010, 08:02 AM
I could not believe the attendance figure for last night, and Sunday night against the Bosox wasn't great either. I do not think its the stadium, its the location. The Trop is located at the far south end of the Tampa Bay metro area. When we go to a game we come up from the south over the Sunshine Skyway bridge and traffic is miniscule, but if you come from the north where 90% of the Rays fan base live traffic is horrible, especially after the game.
I have also noticed that the Rays draw very well on afternoon games, could be because us oldtimers are in bed by 9 or 10. I live in a retirement community and once a month our management puts together "A Trip to the Trop'' and we sell out the bus trip because its in the afternoon. When they tried a trip at night it was cancelled due to lack of participation.

ewokpelts
08-31-2010, 08:44 AM
bad stadium. bad location.

where have i heard this before?

but let's not forget to add in the economy.

if the rays are smart, they should be trying to pimp 2010 playoff tickets tied into 2011 season ticket packages. sox have done this since 2005, and it does put more bodies in the park. Actually, the sox make you buy september 2010 AND a non-refundable deposit to 2011.

SCCWS
08-31-2010, 08:59 AM

if the rays are smart, they should be trying to pimp 2010 playoff tickets tied into 2011 season ticket packages. sox have done this since 2005, and it does put more bodies in the park. Actually, the sox make you buy september 2010 AND a non-refundable deposit to 2011.

I think the biggest problem is the limited fan base. I go to the Trop a few times a year and I don't have any issues w the stadium or location. But this area is saturated with transplants from the Northeast and Mid-West. There are a lot of Red Sox and Yankee fans, but there are also a lot of mid-west transplants as well. Certainly the ticket prices and parking are low-moderate compared to other cities. I just think they have a very small fanbase supplemented by the casual fan who attends a few games a year.
I am also a Big East basketball fan. USF has the same problem. Typical Big East game draws 10,000 but USF draws 5,000.

beasly213
08-31-2010, 09:45 AM

That wouldn't work with the Rays. Even Post Season tickets aren't that hard to come by for them.

ewokpelts
08-31-2010, 09:49 AM
That wouldn't work with the Rays. Even Post Season tickets aren't that hard to come by for them.they're doing the deposit for playoof ticket thing. $150 deposit for cheap seats in 2011 gives you access to an upper reserve Postseason strip that has a face value of $523.

Dick Allen
08-31-2010, 10:07 AM
Last night, the 1st place Reds drew 14,000 for their game against the Brewers. The Braves' attendance problems have been well-documented also. Another 1st place team.

doublem23
08-31-2010, 10:15 AM
Last night, the 1st place Reds drew 14,000 for their game against the Brewers. The Braves' attendance problems have been well-documented also. Another 1st place team.

The Braves are drawing 30,000+ per night.

ewokpelts
08-31-2010, 10:26 AM
well, the economy really hasnt improved. sports tickets are low on the priorities for a lot of people.

tstrike2000
08-31-2010, 11:18 AM
Outside of the playoffs a few years ago and Hall & Oates concerts on weekends, when hasn't there been more than about 12,000 at Tropicana?

Dan H
08-31-2010, 02:08 PM
I have a cousin who lives in the Tampa area and he is a beer vendor at Tropicana to make extra money. His personal take on it is this: The economy issue is serious with a local unemployment rate he cites at 13%. In reality it might even higher since these figures usually don't count people who have given up looking for work. Secondly, he believes that many just don't identify with the Rays. They are transplants who cheer for other teams, many being Yankee fans.

I was at one of the Sox playoff games in Tampa. The team does what it can to entertain fans and has put together a good product. So I have sympathy for an organization that is making a great effort. The playoff game was packed of course. There was a lot of noise and it sounded even louder inside the dome. However, noise is not necessarily emotion. I felt more emotion at a Bucs football game a year or two earlier.

Finally, not every metropolitan area can support a major league franchise. MLB, in its arrogance, think they can put a team anywhere and draw big crowds. Maybe Tampa is one place that should not have a team although I don't know where the club would go if it wanted to move.

ewokpelts
08-31-2010, 02:26 PM
I have a cousin who lives in the Tampa area and he is a beer vendor at Tropicana to make extra money. His personal take on it is this: The economy issue is serious with a local unemployment rate he cites at 13%. In reality it might even higher since these figures usually don't count people who have given up looking for work. Secondly, he believes that many just don't identify with the Rays. They are transplants who cheer for other teams, many being Yankee fans.

I was at one of the Sox playoff games in Tampa. The team does what it can to entertain fans and has put together a good product. So I have sympathy for an organization that is making a great effort. The playoff game was packed of course. There was a lot of noise and it sounded even louder inside the dome. However, noise is not necessarily emotion. I felt more emotion at a Bucs football game a year or two earlier.

Finally, not every metropolitan area can support a major league franchise. MLB, in its arrogance, think they can put a team anywhere and draw big crowds. Maybe Tampa is one place that should not have a team although I don't know where the club would go if it wanted to move.
they have a bad lease. it'll cost like 100 million just to leave without a lawsuit. and the econmy hurt thier chances to float redevelopment at the trop site to help them move into tampa proper.

g0g0
08-31-2010, 02:35 PM

I agree with your last and second statements/observations. I think Florida has one too many baseball teams. Too bad they couldn't have located one team centrally in the south like Tampa. Then they could hopefully draw Miami, Tampa, Orlando, etc.

Fenway
08-31-2010, 03:14 PM
http://tampabay.rays.mlb.com/tb/ticketing/seating_pricing.jsp

Do we have enough tiers?

thomas35forever
08-31-2010, 03:15 PM
I agree with your last and second statements/observations. I think Florida has one too many baseball teams. Too bad they couldn't have located one team centrally in the south like Tampa. Then they could hopefully draw Miami, Tampa, Orlando, etc.
With the Marlins getting a new stadium in a couple of years, the Rays unfortunately would be the odd team out in this case if one of them had to go. That team deserves more support and it may better if they took their business elsewhere.

doublem23
08-31-2010, 03:21 PM
http://tampabay.rays.mlb.com/tb/ticketing/seating_pricing.jsp

Do we have enough tiers?

Something about glass houses and rocks here, I think.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/ticketing/seating_pricing.jsp

ewokpelts
08-31-2010, 03:31 PM
two things from fenway's link that disturb me.

A $3 day-of-game fee will be added to tickets purchased within five hours of game time.
Please note that children two years or older require a ticket for entry to Tropicana Field.

Not cool. Sox policy on kids is if they can walk under the turnstil without moving it, they're free, but gotta sit on thier parent's lap.

Also, day of game fee is kinda stupid. You should ENCOURAGE walkup, not make them pay more for it. Might as well buy online then.

WhiteSox5187
08-31-2010, 06:10 PM
If the Marlins can't draw well with a new stadium, baseball in Florida is in trouble.

Dick Allen
08-31-2010, 06:44 PM
The Braves are drawing 30,000+ per night.The Braves drew 18,000+ for their game against the Mets last night, and this is becoming more common down there.

Fenway
08-31-2010, 06:48 PM
Something about glass houses and rocks here, I think.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/ticketing/seating_pricing.jsp

We have the same inflated prices for all games :)

Athrun
09-01-2010, 02:19 AM

You forgot cowbells. I'd never go to a game if I had to sit through those things all night.

doublem23
09-01-2010, 04:37 AM
The Braves drew 18,000+ for their game against the Mets last night, and this is becoming more common down there.

I doubt that, even if they don't get 1 more person to come through the gates they'll still draw 24,000+ fans per night, better than 10 other teams. As it stands right now, with 30,545 in attendance per game, they're the #14 draw in baseball. I mean, there's always room for improvement, but they seem to be doing fine.

They've also got the 7th largest increase in average attendance per game in MLB, 6th if you take out the Twins who are buoyed by their new stadium.

gogosox675
09-01-2010, 08:53 AM

This has gone unnoticed to me. The Reds are currently 12th in the league in attendance and they were 14th for a long time. I'm sure the fans were skeptical at first (there have been a ton of Reds teams the past few years that have gotten off to hot starts, only to win 70 games that year), but this team is obviously for real. Why aren't the Reds drawing bigger crowds?

PKalltheway
09-01-2010, 11:51 AM
This has gone unnoticed to me. The Reds are currently 12th in the league in attendance and they were 14th for a long time. I'm sure the fans were skeptical at first (there have been a ton of Reds teams the past few years that have gotten off to hot starts, only to win 70 games that year), but this team is obviously for real. Why aren't the Reds drawing bigger crowds?

The crowds have been pretty good on weekends, but there's really no excuse for how low the attendance has been over the last two nights. I live here and I can't really explain it. Maybe because it's a school night/work night, and they aren't exactly playing a marquee team (Milwaukee Brewers)? Maybe Cincinnati isn't into baseball as they used to be?:(:

However, to be fair, they did draw crowds of over 30,000 in each game of the three-game set against the Cardinals a couple of weeks ago, and those games were on a Monday through Wednesday. I don't know. They aren't even in the bottom 10 in average attendance in MLB (albeit barely), so I wouldn't look into it too much, I guess. :scratch: