PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Offense bails out bullpen; Sox finally beat Indians postgame relief thread

Frater Perdurabo
08-30-2010, 10:16 PM
Whew.

soxinem1
08-30-2010, 10:16 PM
Wow.

GoGoCrede
08-30-2010, 10:17 PM
Wow. I did not think we'd win this one. Glad I stuck it out. And thank God Beckham is okay.

Gotta win these games. I'm glad we did.

hi im skot
The most entertaining game of the year.

aryzner
Ugly, ugly win but I still love winning!

Bullpen problems continue... :\

thomas35forever
This game had a Winning Ugly feel to it, but I'm not complaining about the final score!:bandance:

johnnyg83
The most entertaining game of the year.

Hmm. I feel exhausted.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-30-2010, 10:18 PM
Sox get Manny. Beckham is okay. Sox win!

:bandance:

cheezheadsoxfan
08-30-2010, 10:18 PM
Thank God! I could not have taken another walk-off, especially at the hands of the Indians. Nice to see Linebrink rise to the occasion.

hi im skot
08-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Hmm. I feel exhausted.

I got some great laughs out of this one.

tstrike2000
Like a Clint Eastwood movie, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

WhiteSox1989
Scotty pitched well. Surprisingly.

Glad to see a win.

SoxSpeed22
This one ended a lot later than it needed to, but it's a win. The offense finally solved Johan Talbot, but even though Jenks had his problems, the offense and Linebrink bail him out.
I wanted to start this road trip off with a win, but not this way. Let's hope Jackson can go deep tomorrow.
Edit: I liked Soxinem1's title better.

WhiteSox1989
08-30-2010, 10:20 PM
Sox get Manny. Beckham is okay. Sox win!

:bandance:
Gosh. Your signature is just fabulous.

GoGoCrede
Thank God! I could not have taken another walk-off, especially at the hands of the Indians. Nice to see Linebrink rise to the occasion.

For real. No more walkoffs for the rest of the season, please.

OmahaSoxFan
This was as up and down of a game as I have seen all season... it was nice to see the Sox come back and get this win... The offense lighting it up and bailing out the downtrodden bullpen in the 11th was nice to see...

And Beckham's hand is not broken... :):):)

voodoochile
Scott Linebrink decided he wasn't going to give an inch.

Ales Rios is getting hot again.

This was the type of win that could have been a disaster and instead the team stood up and made a stand.

4 games back, it's not yet September, get some bullpen guys back, add Manny (love him or hate him his stick is a huge addition) and lets do this thing.

**** the twinkies... GO SOX!

:soxwin:

:)

OmahaSoxFan
08-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Scott Linebrink decided he wasn't going to give an inch.

Ales Rios is getting hot again.

This was the type of win that could have been a disaster and instead the team stood up and made a stand.

4 games back, it's not yet September, get some bullpen guys back, add Manny (love him or hate him his stick is a huge addition) and lets do this thing.

:soxwin:

:)

I agree... **** the Twins... let's give them a run for their money...

WhiteSox5187
I was on a Red Line train full of Cub fans when I saw the Indians tied it up and was stewing, but I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of letting them see me angry. I was ready to kill someone when I saw that Bobby gave it up, but fortunately we won.

Nelfox02
great job linebrink

big win, another blown game like that, not a knock out punch at this point, but would have been a haymaker to the face for sure

take this series tomorrow guys

image of the game has to be the outraged middle aged woman cle fan after the lillibeast homer....

PeteWard
I knew when Jenks left the winning run on in the 9th that the Sox would definitely win. Great job Bobby!

soxinem1
Scotty pitched well. Surprisingly.

Glad to see a win.

Bit lucky too. Barely hit 84 on the gun and Ozzie was stuck up ****'s Creek and had no one else.

JB98
It will be interesting to see what they do with the bullpen tomorrow. Sale's pitched two days in a row. He's probably not available. Jenks has been brought in for the eighth inning two days in a row. He's probably not available. Linebrink, two quality innings to save the day tonight. Probably not available tomorrow.

Santos better be ready to step up. His inability to finish the eighth was part of the problem tonight.

I don't know how to feel about the offense tonight. When you get 30 baserunners in 11 innings, you better score double digits. The Sox probably should have scored 14 or 15 in this game.

WhiteSox1989
08-30-2010, 10:22 PM
I knew when Jenks left the winning run on in the 9th that the Sox would definitely win. Great job Bobby!
That was my favorite part of the game!

BoysMom3
I'm hoarse from yelling at my tv. what a game!!

kobo
Glad they won and that there won't be 200+ posts about why the Sox suck and blah blah blah.

Hitmen77
Wow. Ugly, ugly game.

15 men LOB, blown save after a 5 run lead, and what looked like a possible season ending injury to Beckham. I mean, seriously, how much worse could a game get!! :puking:

Man, I'm glad we pulled out a win and that Beckham is okay. Whew!

I just hope the starters can give the bullpen a rest the next few games and let's see what #99 can do for us tomorrow.

LoveYourSuit
08-30-2010, 10:23 PM
Buehrle was brutal tonight.

I think the memo needs to go out to these starters that 7 IP is needed from them every night going forward. How do you help a beat up bullpen, starters earning their pay and going 7.

VMSNS
Tomorrow, I'd like to see Manny single-handedly dismantle the Indians.

Then, I want to watch him be the one-man wrecking-crew against the Twins.

Bullpen needs to get their **** together
WAY too many runners LOB
Jenks....wow. Just.....wow.
Hope Beckham is okay.
The Indians suck and we should be crushing them at ever turn. Anything less than a sweep against this joke of a baseball club should not be tolerated.

Win tomorrow, win the next day, and win the day after that. JUST WIN. Win win win.

Nelfox02
For real. No more walkoffs for the rest of the season, please.

I could handle seeing a few in our favor.....for a change

Lip Man 1
They simply can't stand prosperity...you take the win but my God.

One more month until Bobby Jenks is no longer a member of the team.

Lip

hi im skot
Oh, and by the way...
TWINS IDLE

PeteWard
08-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Konerko now at .320!!! Who needs Manny? I'd take a reliever instead.

Soxman219
08-30-2010, 10:25 PM
The two most unlikely players (Lillibridge and Linebrink) are heroes tonight. :scratch:

I'll take it!:bandance:

manders_01
It wasn't pretty but it was ****ing awesome! That's a White Sox winner! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Rdy2PlayBall
Konerko now at .320!!! Who needs Manny? I'd take a reliever instead.How about both?
What's the news on those relievers the Sox supposedly claimed?

voodoochile
08-30-2010, 10:26 PM
The two most unlikely players (Lillibridge and Linebrink) are heroes tonight. :scratch:

Lillibridge was a hero? :dunno:

Hitmen77
08-30-2010, 10:26 PM
It will be interesting to see what they do with the bullpen tomorrow. Sale's pitched two days in a row. He's probably not available. Jenks has been brought in for the eighth inning two days in a row. He's probably not available. Linebrink, two quality innings to save the day tonight. Probably not available tomorrow.

Santos better be ready to step up. His inability to finish the eighth was part of the problem tonight.

Let's just have Jackson pitch a complete game in winning a 6-0 shut out.

I don't know how to feel about the offense tonight. When you get 30 baserunners in 11 innings, you better score double digits. The Sox probably should have scored 14 or 15 in this game.

That top of the 10th was brutal. 3 walks (one intentional) and no runs across the plate. Ugh.

JB98
08-30-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm going to be the unpopular ass and say that Jenks didn't pitch that poorly tonight. The leadoff walk is inexcusable, but those were some cheap hits in the ninth.

BoysMom3
great job linebrink

big win, another blown game like that, not a knock out punch at this point, but would have been a haymaker to the face for sure

take this series tomorrow guys

image of the game has to be the outraged middle aged woman cle fan after the lillibeast homer....

Haha, they were showing the clip of that woman again at the end of the game. Cracked me up.

Rdy2PlayBall
Lillibridge was a hero? :dunno:Wasn't there two outs? He kept the inning alive, he did good, he led the attack. :cool:

Soxman219

I know I'm surprised too.

VMSNS
How about both?
What's the news on those relievers the Sox supposedly claimed?

We claimed relievers? This is the first I've heard of it.

WhiteSox5187

As bad as his play was in the ninth, I'd say anytime you hit a go ahead home run in extras you at least get to share co-billing as a hero.

GoGoCrede
08-30-2010, 10:28 PM
Haha, they were showing the clip of that woman again at the end of the game. Cracked me up.

I want a .gif of her reaction. Couldn't stop laughing.

manders_01
08-30-2010, 10:28 PM
I could handle seeing a few in our favor.....for a change

Hell ya! Those are super fun!

voodoochile
08-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Wasn't there two outs? He kept the inning alive, he did good, he led the attack. :cool:

I know I'm surprised too.

Yeah, let's just ignore that whole 9th inning thing... :rolleyes:

Rdy2PlayBall
We claimed relievers? This is the first I've heard of it.There was a rumor the Sox might have. I wanted to know if there was any news on that. Don't quote me on it, I was just curious if those were proven untrue.

Yeah, let's just ignore that whole 9th inning thing... :rolleyes:What 9th inning? :redneck

manders_01

I totally missed her, damn! :mad:

johnnyg83
08-30-2010, 10:30 PM
JollyRoger seemed to disappear after the win.

I got my troll radar on him.

Soxman219

Can't ignore the 11th inning thing either.

WhiteSox5187

Brent taketh and Brent giveth. He hit a go ahead HR when we needed one, I'll take that and I think it gets him some credit.

hi im skot

Yeah, Lillibridge pitched a horrible ninth.

He screwed up and redeemed himself. He doesn't hit that home run, the Sox don't score four in the inning.

tstrike2000
08-30-2010, 10:31 PM

And Hawk's man love for Gardenhose.

slavko

Lip

Bobby is a manager killer. Lip, has he been told this flat-out? Or are we the only ones who know besides management?

chisoxfanatic
He's done a lot during his time here, but holy crap Jenks, you can't ever make it look easy, can you?

That was a must win, and I'm glad that we got it. 4 games out is much better than 5 at this point. If we can go into September being down by just 3, that would be great!

ChiSoxGal85
My gawsh...I go to attend my weekly agility class with my dog, ready for some fun and happy that the Sox seem to have things well in hand. I come out an hour later to find it in extra innings due to an apparent Bobby Jenks implosion in the bottom of the 9th. Talk about ruining your night!!!! I was muttering to myself the car all the way home, and it wasn't very ladylike.

Jenks is really getting on my nerves with this Jekyll and Hyde imitation.

The offense seemed to deflate after the 2nd inning, like 5 runs was enough. Heh.

Oh, well - glad they pulled out the win...but this stuff is gettin' real old.

WhiteSox5187
08-30-2010, 10:32 PM
There was a rumor the Sox might have. I wanted to know if there was any news on that. Don't quote me on it, I was just curious if those were proven untrue.

I haven't even seen any rumors, the only thing I heard about us and relievers was someone speculating that the Jays might put some guys on waivers and that Kenny was waiting for them rather than getting Fuentes.

PeteWard
08-30-2010, 10:33 PM
I'm going to be the unpopular ass and say that Jenks didn't pitch that poorly tonight. The leadoff walk is inexcusable, but those were some cheap hits in the ninth.

Well, the leadoff walk was inexcusable so that hurts your argument. All Jenks needed to do was to get three outs without giving up three runs. He failed.

But you are right about the hits. The measley little chopper over his head and Liilbridge's "handling" of it was potentially catastrophic. I've always diliked the "season's ovah" after one loss crowd, but dumping this one tonight would have been a crusher. Beautiful two-out rally a season-saver? Maybe.

voodoochile
Alright, I'm over it, Lillibeast can have his share of the hero pie...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=6755&d=1280731952
"RAWR!"

NDSox12

I was actually thinking the same thing as the inning progressed. They got a couple very soft hits. A leadoff walk with a 3 run lead is totally unacceptable though.

guillensdisciple
08-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Good to see the Sox win today and pull within 4, but I will say something about this bullpen. Instead of continuing my ever growing belief that it is the bullpen that is our problem, I will take another route in attacking this bullpen.

We seem to hit these bullpen swoons around the same time every year, and it makes me wonder whether we do a good job or a bad job conditioning some of these guys. This is the only team I have ever seen that consistently implodes with what is seemingly the most talented bullpen year after year. Something has to give, and it sure as hell is not Coop because of all the reclamation projects he has completed. Something tells me our conditioning for these guys is not that great.

hi im skot
08-30-2010, 10:36 PM
Good to see the Sox win today and pull within 4, but I will say something about this bullpen. Instead of continuing my ever growing belief that it is the bullpen that is our problem, I will take another route in attacking this bullpen.

We seem to hit these bullpen swoons around the same time every year, and it makes me wonder whether we do a good job or a bad job conditioning some of these guys. This is the only team I have ever seen that consistently implodes with what is seemingly the most talented bullpen year after year. Something has to give, and it sure as hell is not Coop because of all the reclamation projects he has completed. Something tells me our conditioning for these guys is not that great.

Scott Linebrink looked faaaaaaaaaat tonight.

guillensdisciple
08-30-2010, 10:37 PM
Scott Linebrink looked faaaaaaaaaat tonight.

Did not get to see the game, but seriously?

DickAllen72
I think Santos was the main problem. His failure forced Jenks to pitch in the eighth. Then Jenks got cold as the Sox batted for a while in the top of the ninth without even scoring a run. It was a recipe for failure.

Then, as you pointed out, after the dreaded leadoff walk, a couple of cheap high bounce hits off the plate and some shakey defense lead to the blown save.

BoysMom3

Didn't matter what you said after the first several words because I was already laughing.

Giggling starts again.

I totally missed her, damn! :mad:

Manders, I have a feeling you'll get a chance to see it. Classic.

kobo
08-30-2010, 10:39 PM

Is it conditioning, or just overuse? The first 2 months of the season the SP was pretty bad which caused Ozzie to go to the pen more often. Throw in a guy who has never pitched a full season in the majors (Santos), another guy who can't be trusted (Linebrink) and that limits the options further. Plus JJ was coming off an injury so he was questionable as well. I know the history of the bullpen, but I think this season's implosion is due to overuse of a couple guys and just not many 100% reliable options.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-30-2010, 10:41 PM
Is it conditioning, or just overuse? The first 2 months of the season the SP was pretty bad which caused Ozzie to go to the pen more often. Throw in a guy who has never pitched a full season in the majors (Santos), another guy who can't be trusted (Linebrink) and that limits the options further. Plus JJ was coming off an injury so he was questionable as well. I know the history of the bullpen, but I think this season's implosion is due to overuse of a couple guys and just not many 100% reliable options.The rough start to the season has more negative affects on the Sox than just a below .500 record. I'd bet without that bad start, little of this would be happening.

soxlady8
08-30-2010, 10:42 PM
I went to O'Malley's (three blocks or so from the park ) for lunch today w a work-mate and on the dry erase board was this saying " Brent Lillibridge EATS here for FREE ". I started cracking up soooo loudly.

I asked the son's owner who took my order if that is true , and he said No that it is a running joke that he and his brother has!

I find it just kind of funny that I laughed about him today and HE is the SEMI-HERO for the night!

good to see Liney not eat up innings tonight also !

TDog
08-30-2010, 10:43 PM
The bullpen really didn't pitch badly. Even in the ninth with the Sox up by three, after a walk, a soft fly ball for a hit and a double, and then the Indians didn't hit the ball out of the infield. There was only one ball hit well off of Jenks. And Linebrink retired all six hitters he faced.

I was going to post in the game thread in agreement with JB who suggested in maybe the seventh or eighth that Vizquel should move to second if Beckham has to miss much time because he didn't trust Lillibridge at second. I was also going to post that Lillibridge, with two outs and none on in the 11th needed to make up for tying the game and -- oh, by the way -- putting the winning run in scoring position in the bottom of the ninth with none out. The Indians had this game. Ground out to first and a deep fly wins it. But no. They didn't advance the runner to third (not even with a sacrifice) and they didn't hit the ball out of the infield. That ball bounced off home plate to Lillibridge was the last hit the Indians got. The next nine Indians made outs.

Really, this is the sort of game the Twins have won this year. (The Rays actually lost a game like this in Baltimore earlier this year, blowing a two-run ninth-inning lead and losing after taking an extra-inning lead.) Look at the Twins blown saves, and you often see them coming back to win. This is not a bad White Sox team with a shaky bullpen (although it could tonight didn't rest it at all). Even after the White Sox failed to score with two on and none out with their 4-for-4 hitter at the plate and then the bases loaded and two out in the 10th, they held the Indians and came back and scored four after the first two hitters were retired.

Beckham seems OK, although bruised. This was a good night in which this White Sox team displayed some character.

Jackson needs to go deep tomorrow, though.

kobo
08-30-2010, 10:43 PM
The rough start to the season has more negative affects on the Sox than just a below .500 record. I'd bet without that bad start, little of this would be happening.
That's my thinking as well.

delben91
08-30-2010, 10:44 PM
X-rays are negative (http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/08/beckham-leaves-with-hand-injury.html) on Beckham's hand. He's day-to-day.

DirtySox
08-30-2010, 10:45 PM
Now that classes started, I have to miss Sox baseball every Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday night. :(:

Someone care to explain the Lillibridge defensive miscue?

guillensdisciple
08-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Is it conditioning, or just overuse? The first 2 months of the season the SP was pretty bad which caused Ozzie to go to the pen more often. Throw in a guy who has never pitched a full season in the majors (Santos), another guy who can't be trusted (Linebrink) and that limits the options further. Plus JJ was coming off an injury so he was questionable as well. I know the history of the bullpen, but I think this season's implosion is due to overuse of a couple guys and just not many 100% reliable options.

Sox are least used bullpen in the majors.

hi im skot
08-30-2010, 10:47 PM
Now that classes started, I have to miss Sox baseball every Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday night. :(:

Someone care to explain the Lillibridge defensive miscue?

Bouncer off home plate that he tried to barehand and toss over to first. The ball ended up in the dugout.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-30-2010, 10:48 PM
Bouncer off home plate that he tried to barehand and toss over to first. The ball ended up in the dugout.I didn't really get a good glimpse of the runner... was it going to be a hit anyway?

hi im skot
08-30-2010, 10:48 PM
So, um stay classy, Cleveland:

http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/383508590/2879639_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/cst_sox) cst_sox (http://twitter.com/cst_sox)
"The guy actually came out of the x-ray room saying its broken. Im like, How is that possible? '' Beckham.

http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/383508590/2879639_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/cst_sox) cst_sox (http://twitter.com/cst_sox)
"Then he said, No its not. Are you kidding me? Thats Rookie League. Beckham. 1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/22584546637) via API (http://dev.twitter.com/)

hi im skot
08-30-2010, 10:49 PM
I didn't really get a good glimpse of the runner... was it going to be a hit anyway?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he would have been in there.

GoGoCrede
08-30-2010, 10:49 PM
So, um stay classy, Cleveland:

"The guy actually came out of the x-ray room saying its broken. Im like, How is that possible? '' Beckham.

"Then he said, No its not. Are you kidding me? Thats Rookie League. Beckham. 1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/22584546637) via API (http://dev.twitter.com/)

Lame.

hi im skot
08-30-2010, 10:50 PM
Lame.

Seriously; what a tool.

kittle42
JollyRoger seemed to disappear after the win.

I got my troll radar on him.

Hmm. He didn't say anything wrong.

WhiteSox1989
Lame.
Yeah. That's super lame. What a load of garbage.

GoGoCrede
08-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Okay, I found the pissed off fan after the Lillibridge homer.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=11552051

Skip to the 0:17 mark, it shows her again around 0:22.

hi im skot
08-30-2010, 10:53 PM

Maybe whoever made that brutal Beckham injury gif can put make one of her.

WhiteSox1989
08-30-2010, 10:54 PM
Maybe whoever made that brutal Beckham injury gif can put make one of her.
what

GoGoCrede
08-30-2010, 10:54 PM
what

It's in the first game thread for the game.

Tragg
08-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Team's fighting hard.
Doesn't sound like Bobby was that bad...just some unlucky bull****.

I'd like to see Sale in the rotation next season.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-30-2010, 10:55 PM

Skip to the 0:17 mark, it shows her again around 0:22.Was that his Mom telling him to stop eating his Wheaties? I didn't know she was an Indian's fan. :tongue:

WhiteSox1989
08-30-2010, 10:57 PM
was that his mom telling him to stop eating his wheaties? I didn't know she was an indian's fan. :tongue:
:thumbsup:

shingo10
08-30-2010, 10:58 PM
It's been really cool to see Jake Peavy in the dugout these past few games supporting the team even though he's injured. I really admire that he's there seeing as a lot of times players just kind of fade away after they get hurt.

Good job Jake.

kobo
08-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Sox are least used bullpen in the majors.
Then what is the problem? How do innings pitched for Thornton, Putz, Jenks to this point compare to this point in previous seasons? I can accept that Santos would be having issues as this is his first season pitching in the majors, but what about everyone else? Why does the bullpen seem to implode every August?

guillensdisciple
08-30-2010, 11:01 PM
Then what is the problem? How do innings pitched for Thornton, Putz, Jenks to this point compare to this point in previous seasons? I can accept that Santos would be having issues as this is his first season pitching in the majors, but what about everyone else? Why does the bullpen seem to implode every August?

That's why I said that conditioning might be the problem. Nothing else makes sense. It's definitely not the talent, by talent we have the most lethal pen in the bigs, but there is something severely wrong with them come August and September. My assumption is that they are not conditioned for the long haul.

GoGoCrede
08-30-2010, 11:01 PM
what

Found it, click at your own risk.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2608145&postcount=157

hi im skot
08-30-2010, 11:02 PM

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2608145&postcount=157

Nooooooooooooo!

WhiteSox1989
08-30-2010, 11:04 PM

yup. that's definitely broken.

hi im skot
08-30-2010, 11:07 PM

I had no idea you were an X-Ray tech in Cleveland!

WhiteSox1989
08-30-2010, 11:09 PM
I had no idea you were an X-Ray tech in Cleveland!
:smile:

BoysMom3

I love it when she says, "boo!" Hahaha. That's awesome. (and that would have been me in the reverse situation, lol!!)

guillensdisciple

But it's just a bruise :D

While I tend to feel optimistic about this team, something tells me Manny is going to give us some magic this year. While this bullpen is giving me fits, something is vibing "we'll be fine". Manny could change more than just the box score, he could give complete confidence to all of them. The way the Sox have been hitting, include a glue like Manny to the line-up and you might have one of the most dangerous line ups in baseball. The pitching returns to normal, and the Twins will be holding on to their lives for the rest of the year.

4 games does not seem to be that many. Also, the Twins are capturing the Tigers at a bad time. They are playing really good baseball.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-30-2010, 11:10 PM

They already said it was negative.

hi im skot
08-30-2010, 11:12 PM
While I tend to feel optimistic about this team, something tells me Manny is going to give us some magic this year. While this bullpen is giving me fits, something is vibing "we'll be fine". Manny could change more than just the box score, he could give complete confidence to all of them. The way the Sox have been hitting, include a glue like Manny to the line-up and you might have one of the most dangerous line ups in baseball. The pitching returns to normal, and the Twins will be holding on to their lives for the rest of the year.

And if they lose tomorrow's game in the late innings, the season's likely over.

johnnyg83
08-30-2010, 11:14 PM
Hmm. He didn't say anything wrong.

He keeps repeating the same post about what a bad team we are and that we didn't beat anyone but the NL. If he posted and moved on, fine. But he doesn't seem to have that capacity. it's the same thing in every thread. That, to me, is trolling.

Moderators can certainly tell me to go play in traffic. But I'll be watching. Watching and waiting. Waiting and watching. And just when the ... never mind, I'm too tired.

guillensdisciple
08-30-2010, 11:15 PM
And if they lose tomorrow's game in the late innings, the season's likely over.

:redface:

You know me too well.

I blame it on drugs.

Just kidding.

manders_01
08-30-2010, 11:16 PM

:roflmao: Yeah, that was good!

StillMissOzzie
08-30-2010, 11:18 PM

Lip

I hope you are right, Lip. I see a non-tendered in his future.

My stomach lurched when Linebrink gave up what was ultimately just a deep fly ball to Rios in the 10th

Even still, way too many men left on base. This game should never have gone into extra frames.

SMO
:gulp:

Rdy2PlayBall
08-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Even still, way too many men left on base. This game should never have gone into extra frames.
True, but it goes the same for both teams. Buehrle got out of some real tough jams where one hit could have completely changed the game. This game should have never went to extras once we hit the 9th inning... but the Sox had their fair share of luck/getting out of jams.

chisoxfanatic
08-30-2010, 11:30 PM

Ha, did you hear the Sox fans in the background at the same time going "You can put it on the board, Yes!"?

Rdy2PlayBall
08-30-2010, 11:40 PM
Ha, did you hear the Sox fans in the background at the same time going "You can put it on the board, Yes!"?LOL! I watched it after you posted that, very funny. :D:

soxinem1
08-30-2010, 11:47 PM

Linebrink was lucky, considering how 'quick' he was bringing it tonight, and Lillibridge's cloning of Steve Sax' arm at 2B is a main reason why the game went extras.

Is it just me or has he had problems with easy throws to first since he was called up??

BoysMom3
08-30-2010, 11:49 PM
Ha, did you hear the Sox fans in the background at the same time going "You can put it on the board, Yes!"?

I didn't notice, and I watched the clip with the volume off because everyone else is sleeping. But I did notice some idiot in the crowd continually yelling - who who! Drove me crazy!!

hawkjt
08-30-2010, 11:51 PM
Cleveland,KC and the O's really hit the ball well vs the Sox...the M's are such a hapless offense compared to them.
Bobby is not a two inning closer...so I am not going to blame him for what really was a very soft rally by the Tribe in the 9th. The Baltimore chop off the plate is bad luck. The Tribe got at least 3 cheap hits of that variety tonite...thankfully Sox overcame it all.

Linebrink gets a huge ovation from me for going 6 up and 6 down in the 10th and 11th...I was holding my breath the whole time,but he came up big.
My son and I were just saying that the Lillibridge magic of June just went poof...when he hit that and poof-Sox Win!!

Alex had a huge nite,but could have been the goat for the doubleplay ball...still think a guy should be able to get a bunt down in that situation.

I just hope that they did not use up all their hits tonite..Masterson and Tomlin coming up...time to win every ballgame vs underdogs..every single one.

TDog
08-30-2010, 11:53 PM

Lip

Where would the White Sox be without Jenks this year?

When his back took him out of action, every close game handed over to Putz and Thornton were lost. Tonight Jenks had to get out of two jams in two innings and only two hitters hit the ball out of the infield. it's possible that next year the Sox could sign a reliever to a big contract like they did with Linebrink (a contract that was extremely well received at the time).

The problem with the bullpen isn't overwork over the course of the season. It is a combination of things, including personal problems with Jenks before he was out with a bad back. It is Thornton being too fragile to be effective when he isn't getting rest. It is Putz having mild physical problems that caught up with him. It is Santos pitching more this season than he ever has in his career, and now Thornton and Putz are disabled.

Back in August 2002 at a White Sox game, somebody fairly high up in the White Sox organization told me Paul Konerko wouldn't be with the Sox much longer, in large part because he had physical problems that would prevent him from playing another five years. Things don't always work out the way people expect.

There is no way that Thornton could take on the workload that Jenks has been carrying, and I don't see Putz or Santos being an improvement over the long haul. If the Sox want to improve their bullpen AND get rid of Jenks, management will have a lot of work to do.

chisoxfanatic
08-30-2010, 11:54 PM
I didn't notice, and I watched the clip with the volume off because everyone else is sleeping. But I did notice some idiot in the crowd continually yelling - who who! Drove me crazy!!
Well, if you're that concerned, put on the headphones and listen! It's hilarious!

palehozenychicty
08-30-2010, 11:55 PM
I was at the Yankee-A's game tonight. They never updated the scoreboard, and I found out on my phone that it was tied, I was going to throw somebody down. It didn't help that Swish is hitting like a major league ballplayer. I'll take the win, but we need someone, anyone to pitch the 7th and 8th. 9th too.

Madscout
08-31-2010, 12:06 AM
I was at the Yankee-A's game tonight. They never updated the scoreboard, and I found out on my phone that it was tied, I was going to throw somebody down. It didn't help that Swish is hitting like a major league ballplayer. I'll take the win, but we need someone, anyone to pitch the 7th and 8th. 9th too.
Brian Anderson could hit in that lineup. What, you walk Swish to get to who? And if a pitcher can't get his breaking ball over, he can just sit on those fastballs.

MetroPD
08-31-2010, 12:25 AM
Snatching victory from the jaws of Bobby Jenks, yes!

PeteWard
08-31-2010, 12:31 AM
Snatching victory from the jaws of Bobby Jenks, yes!

Someone needs to snatch that ridiculous beard from his chin. And now he has some weird blond mutton chop scruff sprouting as well.

It's hard to watch him, even when he is sitting in the bullpen and NOT blowing a game.

hawkjt
08-31-2010, 12:35 AM
Someone needs to snatch that ridiculous beard from his chin. And now he has some weird blond mutton chop scruff sprouting as well.

It's hard to watch him, even when he is sitting in the bullpen and NOT blowing a game.

Who gives a crap what kind of facial hair they have? Not me.
Bobby has been personally holding that bullpen together thru the last week or so and a bunch of fans who do not recognize what he even did tonite getting us out of the 8th inning jam just hammer him for having to come out and throw 35-40 pitches...not his job,but he tries his best.

GET OFF BOBBY"S BACK!!

kittle42
08-31-2010, 12:39 AM
not his job,but he tries his best.

We're rooting for trying now?

PeteWard
08-31-2010, 12:43 AM
Who gives a crap what kind of facial hair they have? Not me.
Bobby has been personally holding that bullpen together thru the last week or so and a bunch of fans who do not recognize what he even did tonite getting us out of the 8th inning jam just hammer him for having to come out and throw 35-40 pitches...not his job,but he tries his best.

GET OFF BOBBY"S BACK!!

I still support him as the closer and know we need him to win the division.

But he looks grotesque.

TDog
08-31-2010, 01:35 AM

But he looks grotesque.

There are garden gnomes in my backyard. I didn't order them. I didn't pay for them. I only accepted delivery. I was shown a catalogue and was shown that there are garden gnomes with a White Sox theme, but the actually selections did not impress me. When I saw the Bobby Jenks look this year, I thought, there is the White Sox-themed garden gnome that would work in my yard.

I am not offended by the way players look (although Mike Devereaux tested my limits). I am not even offended by Juan Uribe dying his head and facial hair orange to match the Giants' color scheme.

kittle42
08-31-2010, 02:04 AM

But he looks grotesque.

I don't care if he looks like Quasimodo if he pitches well.

kittle42
08-31-2010, 02:05 AM
I am not even offended by Juan Uribe dying his head and facial hair orange to match the Giants' color scheme.

I hope not - plenty better things in this world to get offended by. :wink:

hawkjt
08-31-2010, 07:27 AM
We're rooting for trying now?

Yes,like when guys like Pena give us 7 innings,or Bobby gives us 3 innings,there are times that guys are asked to do more than their normal role and I applaud the effort. Crazy times in that bullpen.:(:

dwitt76
08-31-2010, 07:33 AM
2010 White sox baseball. Even the wins feel like losses.

October26
08-31-2010, 07:41 AM
2010 White sox baseball. Even the wins feel like losses.

:yup: That's how I feel this morning too. Glad the Sox were able to survive last night's 9th inning disaster and get the win but our bullpen is a mess right now. Buerhle was not sharp last night against an awful Indians team. I'll give Buehrle credit, he battled and battled. This bullpen situation is gonna put alot of pressure on the starters to go deep in games, beginning with Edwin Jackson tonight. Go Sox!

LITTLE NELL
08-31-2010, 07:57 AM
I'm really starting to dislike Bobby Jenks a whole lot. :angry:
The boys came back and bailed him out but I'm not sure how much more I can take of him.

SBSoxFan
08-31-2010, 08:50 AM

Yeah, you can because his error in the 9th had no impact on the scoring. It would have made things less dicey, but it still would've been 6-6.

SI1020
08-31-2010, 09:07 AM

We seem to hit these bullpen swoons around the same time every year, and it makes me wonder whether we do a good job or a bad job conditioning some of these guys. This is the only team I have ever seen that consistently implodes with what is seemingly the most talented bullpen year after year. Something has to give, and it sure as hell is not Coop because of all the reclamation projects he has completed. Something tells me our conditioning for these guys is not that great. Just a quick look at Jenks will tell you his conditioning is not that great.

UofCSoxFan
08-31-2010, 09:59 AM
Baseball strategy question...was hoping to get some thoughts.

Typically with a multi-run lead in the ninth, you don't hold the runner on first, instead playing the first basement back so he gets more range. You then let the runner steal second and lose the double play but increase your chance that PK will get a grounder in the hole.

The White Sox, like most teams do this and did so yesterday. Typcally its the right move. My question is, with Jenks as shakey as he seems to be and with our solid middle infield, would people like to see PK play right in the runners hip pocket or even hold him on to keep the double play in order? I feel like by allowing the runner to go to second he almost immediately scores a pitch or two later. While the run itself does not matter, it seems like it causes Jenks to implode. I know it's the traditional strategy, but right now with Jenks pitching, who only has so many outs in him each night, I think I'd rather they try to keep the double play in order at the expesne of Paulie's range.

It just seems that the White Sox strategy of trading a run for an out often ends up in us trading a run for no outs. Yesterday the Indians scored 3 runs before recording an out and we hadn to work out of a huge jam just to survive the inning. This happened on the last road trip as well.

Thoughts?

johnnyg83
08-31-2010, 10:28 AM

Typically with a multi-run lead in the ninth, you don't hold the runner on first, instead playing the first basement back so he gets more range. You then let the runner steal second and lose the double play but increase your chance that PK will get a grounder in the hole.

The White Sox, like most teams do this and did so yesterday. Typcally its the right move. My question is, with Jenks as shakey as he seems to be and with our solid middle infield, would people like to see PK play right in the runners hip pocket or even hold him on to keep the double play in order? I feel like by allowing the runner to go to second he almost immediately scores a pitch or two later. While the run itself does not matter, it seems like it causes Jenks to implode. I know it's the traditional strategy, but right now with Jenks pitching, who only has so many outs in him each night, I think I'd rather they try to keep the double play in order at the expesne of Paulie's range.

It just seems that the White Sox strategy of trading a run for an out often ends up in us trading a run for no outs. Yesterday the Indians scored 3 runs before recording an out and we hadn to work out of a huge jam just to survive the inning. This happened on the last road trip as well.

Thoughts?

I don't mind bunting with fast runners or great bunters, but just for the sake of bunting drives me crazy.

I'm also down on us trying to steal so much. Pierre fine. But we have one of the lowest SB% in the AL. Take Pierre's SB stats out of the mix and we steal successfully at a 60% clip. Take Rios' stats out and we steal at (44 for 79) 56% percent! I'm no mathematician, but that's insane!

Stop running with those who can't steal bases!

FielderJones
08-31-2010, 11:16 AM

I don't think it matters the way the bullpen is pitching. If you hold the runner on, the batter will shoot it through the hole and the runner will be on third. If you let him take second, the batter will bounce a Twinkie hit off the plate and the runner will score. If the Sox bullpen was pitching a little better I think the classic strategy would work out okay, because they would trade bases for outs and the game would end a Sox win.

Lip Man 1
08-31-2010, 11:57 AM
TDog:

Than management "will have a lot of work to do" because I'm willing to wager you that the Sox (based on what I was told) will not keep Jenks AND pay him what he's going to get in arbitration this winter.

They might if he wasn't going to get as much money but that's not going to happen...add in his physical conditiuoning issues (already discussed in the past by management) and it's simply not going to happen.

Lip

TDog
08-31-2010, 11:58 AM

Thoughts?

Of course, the reason you don't hold the runner with a three-run lead in the ninth is that holding the runner opens up a hole on the infield that increases the chances for the hitter. Jenks hasn't been shaky with runners on base, not since returning from his back ailment anyway. On the last roadtrip, the jams Jenks dealt with were not of his own making. Monday, he got out of the jam in the eighth, sat awhile on the bench and came out less sharp, walking the first hitter. The first hit wasn't much more than a pop up that dropped between the infielders and outfielders. It wouldn't have been catchable even if the runners were playing at doubleplay depth. After the double to a hitter the Sox hadn't retired all night, Jenks beat every hitter.

The three runs were a fluke. And it could have been worse. Alexei Ramirez made a great play to get an out on another high chopper off the plate. If the White Sox had tied the game that way, the buzz here wouldn't be about the heroics, but how the Sox were lucky to send it into extra innings, especially if they didn't hit the ball out of the infield by getting the tying runs home and the winning run to second with no one out on a hall that didn't leave the infield. In two innings against Linebrink, the Indians hit two balls out of the infield, but didn't get anyone on base.

Of course, without Beckham at second in that situation, your chances of turning a doubleplay are less. Jenks, like most relievers, doesn't hold runners well. Maybe the runner doesn't steal, but he's going to be on top of Lillibridge if there is a doubleplay grounder to short.

TDog
08-31-2010, 12:13 PM
TDog:

Than management "will have a lot of work to do" because I'm willing to wager you that the Sox (based on what I was told) will not keep Jenks AND pay him what he's going to get in arbitration this winter.

They might if he wasn't going to get as much money but that's not going to happen...add in his physical conditiuoning issues (already discussed in the past by management) and it's simply not going to happen.

Lip

I've been told things that didn't come to pass by some high-ranking people in the organization. I don't believe they were being disingenuous or that they were out of the loop. But people who make the decisions have changed their minds.

If the White Sox are not considering bringing back Bobby Jenks, they will have to spend more to to replace what he brings to the team, unless they want to go the route of bringing in great young arms, the next generation of Aardsma and Sisco and Logan, mixed with experienced veterans like MacDougal. They could sign an established reliever for free-agent money to a long-term contract, much like they did with Linebrink.

Jenks is holding this bullpen together. Not bringing him back could end up being more expensive both in terms of what the White Sox pay for the bullpen and in quality of performance of the bullpen.

Depending on what happens over the next month, the organization may come to that conclusion.

Maybe I'm totally off-base, though. Maybe Jenks will end up replacing Joe Nathan.

Craig Grebeck
08-31-2010, 12:29 PM
Given Jenks' monetary cost, and the fungible nature of relief pitchers, why would we bring him back? Yes, it would be damn difficult to find Bobby Jenks 2005-2008, but would it be difficult to find the Matt Belisles and John Axfords of the world?

If Cooper is a great pitching coach -- and by all accounts he is -- he can work with borderline guys in the bullpen. Pledging millions of dollars to Jenks in 2011 because, despite horrible statistics, he had good stretches where he "saved" this bullpen, or the bullpen was "better when he was pitching well" (here's a thought: what bullpen isn't better off when their closer is pitching well?) would be really, really stupid.

voodoochile
08-31-2010, 12:41 PM
Given Jenks' monetary cost, and the fungible nature of relief pitchers, why would we bring him back? Yes, it would be damn difficult to find Bobby Jenks 2005-2008, but would it be difficult to find the Matt Belisles and John Axfords of the world?

If Cooper is a great pitching coach -- and by all accounts he is -- he can work with borderline guys in the bullpen. Pledging millions of dollars to Jenks in 2011 because, despite horrible statistics, he had good stretches where he "saved" this bullpen, or the bullpen was "better when he was pitching well" (here's a thought: what bullpen isn't better off when their closer is pitching well?) would be really, really stupid.

Matt Belisle: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/belisma01.shtml

Note this is his first year since 2006 with an ERA under 5 and he's still arb eligible.

John Axford:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/axforjo01.shtml

Second year in the majors, not even eligible for arbitration yet.

I guess it is...

Craig Grebeck
08-31-2010, 12:45 PM
Matt Belisle: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/belisma01.shtml

Note this is his first year since 2006 with an ERA under 5 and he's still arb eligible.

John Axford:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/axforjo01.shtml

Second year in the majors, not even eligible for arbitration yet.

I guess it is...
I don't think you understood at all what I was getting at. Did the Brewers and Rockies have any difficulty acquiring either player?

g0g0
08-31-2010, 01:21 PM
Picked this game up in the 9th last night. Wow! You could almost see the 'pit in the stomach' sickness on the dugout faces lol. Even though Jenks blew it, you have to respect that Sox came back and finished business.

Uncontested
08-31-2010, 02:05 PM
Fun fact: The Twins have picked up two closers in the time while we sat back and let Bobby and our bullpen run us out of first place.

delben91
08-31-2010, 02:06 PM
Fun fact: The Twins have picked up two closers in the time while we sat back and let Bobby and our bullpen run us out of first place.

Hey! That is pretty fun!

:gulp:

TDog
08-31-2010, 02:57 PM

One of the closers they could have signed in the offseason instead of giving up a top prospect for because Pittsburgh let him go after recording an ERA of nearly 6 and being credited with 8 losses out of the bullpen (only to be signed by another last-place National League team that worked him very hard). His failures led the Twins to seek another closer who the White Sox didn't put in a waiver claim on because they believed they needed Ramirez.

It wasn't Jenks that lost first place for the White Sox. The White Sox would be in first place if not for the late leads lost by Putz and Thornton, especially Thornton because he was working to nail down what should have been a Twins loss.

TheOldRoman
08-31-2010, 03:09 PM
Fun fact: The Twins have picked up two closers in the time while we sat back and let Bobby and our bullpen run us out of first place.http://www.spooncraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/cool-story-bro-248x300.jpg

hi im skot
08-31-2010, 03:12 PM
http://www.spooncraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/cool-story-bro-248x300.jpg

Yes!

TheOldRoman
08-31-2010, 03:14 PM
Yes!You sucked me into it.:redface:

Craig Grebeck
08-31-2010, 03:38 PM
It wasn't Jenks that lost first place for the White Sox. The White Sox would be in first place if not for the late leads lost by Putz and Thornton, especially Thornton because he was working to nail down what should have been a Twins loss.
True, but painfully shortsighted. Without Thornton and Putz, this team would be fully in the grave, rather than 99%.

TheOldRoman
08-31-2010, 03:43 PM
True, but painfully shortsighted. Without Thornton and Putz, this team would be fully in the grave, rather than 99%.Yes, the season would be long over without those two, but the last part is just a tad bit ridiculous. Nobody is saying it's a cakewalk to overcome a 4 game deficit with 31 left, but c'mon. Oh, and which stat shows the percentage a team is in it's grave?

doublem23
08-31-2010, 03:48 PM
True, but painfully shortsighted. Without Thornton and Putz, this team would be fully in the grave, rather than 99%.

Hey, we're only about 86.5% dead.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/ps_oddspec.php

Craig Grebeck
08-31-2010, 03:51 PM
Yes, the season would be long over without those two, but the last part is just a tad bit ridiculous. Nobody is saying it's a cakewalk to overcome a 4 game deficit with 31 left, but c'mon. Oh, and which stat shows the percentage a team is in it's grave?
The one I pulled out of my ass. It was, admittedly, imprecise and not accurate, but I just don't buy that this team can accomplish what it needs to.

What I am getting at, however, is that Putz and Thornton have each accomplished far more than Jenks has in 2010. And despite his contributions at times, I don't want to see Jenks on the White Sox in 2011, mainly due to cost.

TheOldRoman
08-31-2010, 03:56 PM
The one I pulled out of my ass. It was, admittedly, imprecise and not accurate, but I just don't buy that this team can accomplish what it needs to.

What I am getting at, however, is that Putz and Thornton have each accomplished far more than Jenks has in 2010. And despite his contributions at times, I don't want to see Jenks on the White Sox in 2011, mainly due to cost.I fully think Bobby will succeed (at least temporarily) with a change of scenery, but at this point I agree with you. Bobby won't be back. The Sox need to do something else, obviously, as Putz is going to get a huge contract somewhere and Thornton is far more valuable when not tied down to the ninth inning.

TheOldRoman
08-31-2010, 03:57 PM
Hey, we're only about 86.5% dead.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/ps_oddspec.php Wait, does that mean the Twins already clinched? In 2005 the Sox were at 88% after clinching the division.

Craig Grebeck
08-31-2010, 04:01 PM
I fully think Bobby will succeed with a change of scenery, but at this point I agree with you. The Sox need to do something else, obviously, as Putz is going to get a huge contract somewhere and Thornton is far more valuable when not tied down to the ninth inning.
Agreed. I have faith, though, that they learned their lesson with the Aardsma/Sisco/MacDougal approach, and maybe try something similar to the Padres' strategy the last five or ten years.

(A side note: this season, three of the non-closers currently in the Padres bullpen -- Thatcher, Adams and Stauffer -- have a better road split than home. So it's not all Petco. They're on to something out there with relief pitchers.)

Also, wherever Bobby ends up, he won't be making the money the Sox would have to give him in arbitration. It'll still be a few million, I'd think, and I bet it will do him some good.

TheOldRoman
08-31-2010, 04:20 PM
Agreed. I have faith, though, that they learned their lesson with the Aardsma/Sisco/MacDougal approach, and maybe try something similar to the Padres' strategy the last five or ten years.

(A side note: this season, three of the non-closers currently in the Padres bullpen -- Thatcher, Adams and Stauffer -- have a better road split than home. So it's not all Petco. They're on to something out there with relief pitchers.)

Also, wherever Bobby ends up, he won't be making the money the Sox would have to give him in arbitration. It'll still be a few million, I'd think, and I bet it will do him some good.Sadly, we are going to see Bobby trashing the organization on the way out, saying they treated him poorly, the fans didn't believe in him, etc. There is something going on in his head, some reason why he is lights out at times and horrible at others, and it is obvious that Cooper has used up whatever tricks he has relative to Bobby. But I think putting him in a different situation with a different philosophy will help him, at least short term. Maybe him getting the kick in the ass of making less money and having to uproot his family will wake him up.

As for the Sox, I don't know which way they will go with the pen, but KW is going to have his hands full.

Craig Grebeck
08-31-2010, 04:24 PM
Sadly, we are going to see Bobby trashing the organization on the way out, saying they treated him poorly, the fans didn't believe in him, etc. There is something going on in his head, some reason why he is lights out at times and horrible at others, and it is obvious that Cooper has used up whatever tricks he has relative to Bobby. But I think putting him in a different situation with a different philosophy will help him, at least short term. Maybe him getting the kick in the ass of making less money and having to uproot his family will wake him up.

As for the Sox, I don't know which way they will go with the pen, but KW is going to have his hands full.
I anxiously await the day that the organization parts ways with a player in a classy, happy manner. I won't be buying a newspaper or watching ESPN/CSN in the days following Jenks' departure, that's for sure.

DrCrawdad
08-31-2010, 08:48 PM
I anxiously await the day that the organization parts ways with a player in a classy, happy manner. I won't be buying a newspaper or watching ESPN/CSN in the days following Jenks' departure, that's for sure.

I started to put together a list of names of players who've left on good terms. Then I realized I was playing right into your hands.

Your act is tired and old...

:dtroll:

Craig Grebeck
08-31-2010, 10:40 PM
I started to put together a list of names of players who've left on good terms. Then I realized I was playing right into your hands.

Your act is tired and old...

:dtroll:
So you're saying there hasn't been a deluge recently of players leaving the organization on bad terms? I'd go through the list of good things I say about this organization and its players on a daily basis, but why play right into your hands.

kevingrt
08-31-2010, 10:48 PM
So you're saying there hasn't been a deluge recently of players leaving the organization on bad terms? I'd go through the list of good things I say about this organization and its players on a daily basis, but then I realized I would be playing right into your hands.

Why are we so angry over here after losses and wins? There should be a forum for bickering at each other.

fram40
08-31-2010, 11:15 PM
So you're saying there hasn't been a deluge recently of players leaving the organization on bad terms? I'd go through the list of good things I say about this organization and its players on a daily basis, but why play right into your hands.

and how many then come back on good terms? Frank and Ozzie, right off the top of my head.

Interesting that JR has always been such a lightning rod. So many players curse him out when they leave, yet so many employees/players laud him to the high heavens.

Hitmen77
08-31-2010, 11:19 PM

Like Hudson, Contreras, and Thome leaving on bad terms? :?: I don't remember Garland leaving on bad terms. Garcia when we traded him? What about Field and Getz? Clayton Richard had a bitter departure? Griffey? Dye? I don't know...I suppose he wasn't happy about not getting a contract, but I don't remember hearing him ripping the Sox or vice versa. The Sox were wrong to let Carrasco go, but I don't remember bad blood. Seriously, those are some of the most recent guys who left and I don't remember the avalanche of bad press each time.

Just because Swisher was a jerk and left here on bad terms doesn't mean there's been a "deluge of players" leaving on bad terms. Who else? ....... Vazquez? :scratch:If those are the two you are thinking of, that's not exactly great examples of the norm there.