PDA

View Full Version : Pre-game Softball @ Armour Square Park

SoxThunder
08-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Has anyone played a pickup softball game at Armour Square Park before a Sox game?

The fields there are pretty nice and I don't think I've ever seen them being used.

Anyone want to play Sat. 9/11 @ 4 pm (with a 6pm Sox game to follow) or Sat. 9/18 @ 1pm (with a 3pm Sox game to follow)?

I think this would be a pretty fun weekend tradition to start...any takers?

FielderJones
08-30-2010, 02:12 PM
We have played against SoxTalk a couple times. The first time they had to recruit a bunch of Armour Square ringers to fill out their team. The second time we played five on five. It's a lot of fun, but it's tough getting folks to show up even when they've committed.

hi im skot
08-30-2010, 02:14 PM
We have played against SoxTalk a couple times. The first time they had to recruit a bunch of Armour Square ringers to fill out their team. The second time we played five on five. It's a lot of fun, but it's tough getting folks to show up even when they've committed.

Personally, I enjoy playing games when the Sox are on the road. After last year's game, I was drenched in sweat and went straight from the game to the ballpark. It was pretty uncomfortable, and I can't imagine the folks sitting next to me appreciated it.

Now, if someone in the neighborhood wants to volunteer their shower...

By the way, any mods know anything about a game this year?

WizardsofOzzie
08-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Personally, I enjoy playing games when the Sox are on the road. After last year's game, I was drenched in sweat and went straight from the game to the ballpark. It was pretty uncomfortable, and I can't imagine the folks sitting next to me appreciated it.

:shower

hi im skot
08-30-2010, 02:22 PM
:shower

Ok, you win.

SoxThunder
08-30-2010, 02:44 PM

I just called the Chicago Park District and they said that Armour Square Park has a fieldhouse with locker rooms/showers that are free to the public. Unfortunately, the men's locker room is currently being renovated and won't be open till November.

Qdiddy
08-30-2010, 02:53 PM
12" or 16"? Softball?

Marqhead
08-30-2010, 02:58 PM
12" or 16"? Softball?

There's 14" too.

kjhanson
08-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Unfortunately, the men's locker room is currently being renovated and won't be open till November.
Maybe before game 6 of the World Series then. Assuming, we don't sweep of course.

And no, I didn't forget the pink.

DumpJerry
08-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Has anyone played a pickup softball game at Armour Square Park before a Sox game?

The fields there are pretty nice and I don't think I've ever seen them being used.

Anyone want to play Sat. 9/11 @ 4 pm (with a 6pm Sox game to follow) or Sat. 9/18 @ 1pm (with a 3pm Sox game to follow)?

I think this would be a pretty fun weekend tradition to start...any takers?
So, you're looking at 30 minute softball games? You might want to push your start time back to allow more time to play and get into Comiskey.

For those who asked, is there some sort of softball that is not 16"? I did not think so.

SoxThunder
08-30-2010, 03:20 PM
There's 14" too.

12" softball gives you a faster and more competitive game because it's a hard ball.

16" is ok once in a while, but playing without a glove is not my preference. You can't hit the ball nearly as hard or far compared to 12".

14" is terrible and I'll never play it again (the ball is too big and awkward to use a glove for).

If we ever played @ Armour Square, I'd vote for 12".

Marqhead
08-30-2010, 03:24 PM
12" softball gives you a faster and more competitive game because it's a hard ball.

16" is ok once in a while, but playing without a glove is not my preference. You can't hit the ball nearly as hard or far compared to 12".

14" is terrible and I'll never play it again (the ball is too big and awkward to use a glove for).

I agree with you on 12", also adding it's better for better players.

16" is slower and more fun for those not as good at softball if it's a casual game.

14" I think is a happy medium and it's not that hard to get a good glove for. Just my opinion. I love softball in all it's forms, but prefer 14" or 16" because of the pace of the game and cause I'm not that good.

Mohoney
08-30-2010, 03:27 PM
Maybe before game 6 of the World Series then. Assuming, we don't sweep of course.

And no, I didn't forget the pink.
You didn't forget the pink, but you did forget that the NL won the All Star Game this year.:tongue:

doublem23
08-30-2010, 03:35 PM
12" or 16"? Softball?

16'' is the only way to go. When I was at school in Central Illinois, I played intramural softball, but they only play 12'' down there. Softball with a mitt is stupid.

doublem23
08-30-2010, 03:36 PM

This is Chicago. We play 16'' here.

May as well start putting ketchup on our hot dogs and eating big floppy slices of pizza.

kjhanson
08-30-2010, 04:42 PM
You didn't forget the pink, but you did forget that the NL won the All Star Game this year.:tongue:

Nope, I didn't. But I did forget about the stupid 2-3-2 format. Whoops.

ghostface36
08-30-2010, 04:46 PM
armour square would be perfect, chicago parks have some of the best baseball fields ive played on

SephClone89
08-30-2010, 04:59 PM
I hate 16" softball.

For me it's not a baseball variant if you don't wear a glove. It's stupid and not nearly as fun to play the field with your bare hands.

fox23
08-30-2010, 05:04 PM
I like 16 inch more, but it seems like that is harder to get casual (i.e. not all that talented) people to play. Most of them can hardly hit the ball past the pitcher, let alone to the outfield. At least in 12 inch you can luck your way into a few nice duck snorts or seeing eye singles.

FielderJones
08-30-2010, 05:07 PM

:thumbsup:

Especially if you're getting a bunch of guys together for a pickup game. I'd also recommend wooden bats required. No need to get someone maimed over a friendly game.

DumpJerry
08-30-2010, 05:09 PM
People in Chicago are considering non-16" softball to be played inside the city limits?

Mike Royko is spinning in his grave.

doublem23
08-30-2010, 05:49 PM
People in Chicago are considering non-16" softball to be played inside the city limits?

Mike Royko is spinning in his grave.

Well, FWIW, the only people talking about 12'' as a legit sport appear to be suburbanites, so there is still hope.

SephClone89
08-30-2010, 05:50 PM
Well, FWIW, the only people talking about 12'' as a legit sport appear to be suburbanites, so there is still hope.

I dont' understand why people don't just play baseball.

Madscout
08-30-2010, 06:56 PM

May as well start putting ketchup on our hot dogs and eating big floppy slices of pizza.
You::huffy:

Me::rolling:

DumpJerry
08-30-2010, 09:32 PM
They have hardball leagues for people who want to play Baseball. However, it is very, very difficult to play SOFTBALL with a BASEBALL.

SoxThunder
08-30-2010, 10:25 PM

12" softball is better, ketchup on hot dogs is delicious, and Giordano's and Lou Malnati's are tied for the best pizza. At least we're both Sox fans.

SephClone89
08-30-2010, 10:27 PM
12" softball is better, ketchup on hot dogs is delicious, and Giordano's and Lou Malnati's are tied for the best pizza. At least we're both Sox fans.

:puking:

doublem23
08-31-2010, 07:58 AM

Softball is much easier to hit.