PDA

View Full Version : The Cubs can do no wrong!!!????

soxfan22
08-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Spent the last ten days in Chicago, took three Sox games in and had a fantastic time.

I digress...............

While in my hotel, I was standing by the concierge when I overheard another guest ask about ticket availability for a Baseball game. The guy working the concierge informed the guest he was a Sox fan................but..............if he wanted to see a traditional Chicago baseball team, he should go see the Cubs!!!!

Then............

I arrived back from Game 1 v the Orioles, you know........., the 7-5 win :bandance:

when a woman asked if I knew the Cubs score versus the Braves, I informed her that I thought I heard they were winning 2 - 0 but couldn't confirm as I told her I was a Sox fan................but, thought she'd guessed that as I was stood wearing a Sox shirt and wore a Sox cap...........she did, she looked at me and went and I quote, "EEEEEEYUUK!!", close quote.

Yeah, the Cubs can do no wrong! :scratch:

ps Pity they didn't get an invite when all the trophies won by Chicago teams the last 25 years were displayed at Game 1 v the Yankees
................oh............wait................ .......:)

soltrain21
08-29-2010, 10:23 PM
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kr3svtJGu91qzpzfmo1_500.jpg

hi im skot
08-29-2010, 10:31 PM
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kwjp2f1pzf1qzvqipo1_500.jpg

spawn
08-29-2010, 10:53 PM
You're from London, so I won't abuse you to much for this thread...all I'm going to say is "Who cares"? I hope you had a great time here and enjoyed yourself at the game.

g0g0
08-30-2010, 08:44 AM
If you are still in Chicago, be sure to bask in all the glory that is Andre Dawson Day. :D: :stirpot::duck:

The Cubs will present a special gift to "The Hawk" and recognize him during an on-field ceremony before the team's 7:05 p.m. game against the Pittsburgh Pirates. In addition to the ceremony at Wrigley Field, Mayor Daley has officially proclaimed August 30, 2010 as "Andre Dawson Day" in Chicago. Finally, the first 10,000 fans entering the ballpark on August 30 will receive a commemorative Andre Dawson ball cap, compliments of The PrivateBank.

cards press box
08-30-2010, 10:47 AM
I told her I was a Sox fan................but, thought she'd guessed that as I was stood wearing a Sox shirt and wore a Sox cap...........she did, she looked at me and went and I quote, "EEEEEEYUUK!!", close quote.

Yeah, the Cubs can do no wrong! :scratch:

For some segment of the public and virtually the entire Chicago media, the Cubs can, in fact, do no wrong. It's like the proverbial dysfunctional family where one sibling is always right (no matter what) and one sibling is always wrong (no matter what).

But before I go too far with the Cinderella analogy, I should point out that things are getting better and have been getting better for a long time. For the last twenty years or so, the Sox have done an excellent job at making the park kid friendly and cultivating young fans in general. Those eight year olds who idolized future Hall of Famer Frank Thomas in the early '90's are in their twenties now and going to Sox games.

We will, unfortunately, always have fans like the woman exclaiming "eeyuck" but, you know what, I would guess that she is not from Chicago but instead moved to the near north side after college and was originally from some suburb of New York, Cleveland or Detroit or someplace other than Chicago. In any event, the Sox future is bright and I believe that the Cubs' seemingly endless free pass will end one of these days.

TheOldRoman
08-30-2010, 11:18 AM
For some segment of the public and virtually the entire Chicago media, the Cubs can, in fact, do no wrong. It's like the proverbial dysfunctional family where one sibling is always right (no matter what) and one sibling is always wrong (no matter what).

But before I go too far with the Cinderella analogy, I should point out that things are getting better and have been getting better for a long time. For the last twenty years or so, the Sox have done an excellent job at making the park kid friendly and cultivating young fans in general. Those eight year olds who idolized future Hall of Famer Frank Thomas in the early '90's are in their twenties now and going to Sox games.

We will, unfortunately, always have fans like the woman exclaiming "eeyuck" but, you know what, I would guess that she is not from Chicago but instead moved to the near north side after college and was originally from some suburb of New York, Cleveland or Detroit or someplace other than Chicago. In any event, the Sox future is bright and I believe that the Cubs' seemingly endless free pass will end one of these days.I don't think so, and the reason why is that most of the media are those transplants you speak of who moved from Michigan, Ohio, or elsewhere and "'fell in love" with the losing hypocritically pseudo-historical ways of the Cubs. I remember Mark Giangrecco (Ohio guy) after the Cubs lost game 7 in 2003 crying, "I think we (media) are all guilty of rooting a little too hard for the Cubbies."

soxfan43
08-30-2010, 11:20 AM
If you are still in Chicago, be sure to bask in all the glory that is Andre Dawson Day. :D: :stirpot::duck:

The Cubs will present a special gift to "The Hawk" and recognize him during an on-field ceremony before the team's 7:05 p.m. game against the Pittsburgh Pirates. In addition to the ceremony at Wrigley Field, Mayor Daley has officially proclaimed August 30, 2010 as "Andre Dawson Day" in Chicago. Finally, the first 10,000 fans entering the ballpark on August 30 will receive a commemorative Andre Dawson ball cap, compliments of The PrivateBank.

I'm certainly no Cub fan, but what's wrong with the Cubs celebrating Dawson's Hall of Fame year?

DSpivack
08-30-2010, 11:44 AM
I don't think so, and the reason why is that most of the media are those transplants you speak of who moved from Michigan, Ohio, or elsewhere and "'fell in love" with the losing hypocritically pseudo-historical ways of the Cubs. I remember Mark Giangrecco (Ohio guy) after the Cubs lost game 7 in 2003 crying, "I think we (media) are all guilty of rooting a little too hard for the Cubbies."

I've never been able to stand that *******.

soxfan43
08-30-2010, 11:47 AM
I don't think so, and the reason why is that most of the media are those transplants you speak of who moved from Michigan, Ohio, or elsewhere and "'fell in love" with the losing hypocritically pseudo-historical ways of the Cubs. I remember Mark Giangrecco (Ohio guy) after the Cubs lost game 7 in 2003 crying, "I think we (media) are all guilty of rooting a little too hard for the Cubbies."

Isn't moving around sort of the nature of the media business? Especially for newscasters? The few people I have known in that business spent years moving up from smaller markets until they landed in a big market that they enjoyed. As far as Giangreco goes, he raised his family in the North Shore area and his kids are all big Cubs fans. Still no excuse for crying about the Cubs losing though.

DumpJerry
08-30-2010, 12:01 PM
I have not seen a media bias for a long time.

I guess it's because I'm old enough to have been around when there was a media bias in favor of the Cubs.

TheOldRoman
08-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Isn't moving around sort of the nature of the media business? Especially for newscasters? The few people I have known in that business spent years moving up from smaller markets until they landed in a big market that they enjoyed. As far as Giangreco goes, he raised his family in the North Shore area and his kids are all big Cubs fans. Still no excuse for crying about the Cubs losing though.Yes, and I am not saying we need only Chicago people to cover our sports. But many of them move to the near northside post college and end up becoming huge Cubs homers.

Chez
08-30-2010, 01:21 PM
I've said it before on this board, but for me the fact that the Sox are marginalized, frequently ignored and are the less popular, undisputed Second Team of The Second City makes it that much more enjoyable to be a Sox fan! What Sox fan doesn't frequently feel aggrieved? It's precisely that feeling which defines many Sox fans.

The Cubs are more popular than the Sox. So what? Frankly, I wouldn't want it any other way.

DumpJerry
08-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Except for the area around The Urinal, I don't see a disproportionate love for the Cubs on the north side/north suburbs. I see plenty of Sox hats and shirts up there all the time and never have trouble finding the Sox game on a television in a bar or restaurant.

Whenever I turn on sport radio or a televised general sports report on the television, I never have to wait through long stretches of Cub reports to get a five second "Sox won today" mention. Sure, the local sports reporters sometimes have their favorites, but it does not come through strongly (with the exception of Dave Kaplan) when they do their reports. If it did, they would be out of work pretty quickly.

soxfan22
08-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Ok, slightly red faced here, I AM using jet lag as my defense to starting a stupid thread. But not being from the USA and only being able to attend White Sox games when I actually visit here, I suppose I have a long way to go before I truly understand what this bs is all about.

You guys may never understand "soccer" (God I hate that word), you may never want to either but when you hear stuff that appears to romanticise one club over the other, especially the club that hasn't won anything for , aherm.........a while, it kinda makes me wonder. Anyway, I apologise for inflicting this rubbish on you all. I'll take my hits, take the heat and get on with being a Sox fan.

Who wants to be liked anyway :D:

SephClone89
08-30-2010, 07:16 PM
Ok, slightly red faced here, I AM using jet lag as my defense to starting a stupid thread. But not being from the USA and only being able to attend White Sox games when I actually visit here, I suppose I have a long way to go before I truly understand what this bs is all about.

You guys may never understand "soccer" (God I hate that word), you may never want to either but when you hear stuff that appears to romanticise one club over the other, especially the club that hasn't won anything for , aherm.........a while, it kinda makes me wonder. Anyway, I apologise for inflicting this rubbish on you all. I'll take my hits, take the heat and get on with being a Sox fan.

What clubs are you referring to here? I'm curious.

DumpJerry
08-30-2010, 09:38 PM

No need to apologize, you did nothing wrong. You happened to run into one of the 50,000 people in Chicago who stopped her emotional development at age 12. For this, I feel bad for your encounter.

What clubs are you referring to here? I'm curious.
http://www.topstorieschicago.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/chicago-cubs-logo.jpg

SephClone89
08-30-2010, 10:31 PM
http://www.topstorieschicago.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/chicago-cubs-logo.jpg

I'm pretty sure he was referring to football clubs.

DumpJerry
08-30-2010, 10:54 PM
I'm pretty sure he was referring to football clubs.
Read his post again.

Nellie_Fox
08-31-2010, 12:24 AM
You guys may never understand "soccer" (God I hate that word)It's my understanding that it was the English who came up with the word soccer to differentiate "Association Football" from "Rugby Football."

soxfan22
08-31-2010, 01:59 AM
It's my understanding that it was the English who came up with the word soccer to differentiate "Association Football" from "Rugby Football."

Two pages already? :D:

Whether the "English" came up with the word soccer or not is totally irrellevant, I still hate the word and my love for that sport diminished a long time ago. And anyway, "Soccer" was always Football before anything else.

In reply to "what clubs are you talking about?", I was loosely referring to "soccer" clubs in the same City, Town, Village etc, well, there are enough "soccer" (yuk) clubs in London, (take your pick).

This thread is going South fast. I really only brought it up because I was curious how some felt about one club to another. A thought spoken out loud then (very) loosely written onto a forum if you will, no big deal really.

kittle42
08-31-2010, 02:01 AM
Don't worry, soxfan22. Just the usual snarky responses around these parts. :D:

soxfan22
08-31-2010, 02:45 AM
Don't worry, soxfan22. Just the usual snarky responses around these parts. :D:
That's what keeps all forums alive. :D:

g0g0
08-31-2010, 08:56 AM
I'm certainly no Cub fan, but what's wrong with the Cubs celebrating Dawson's Hall of Fame year?

Nothing - just some good-natured ribbing. :smile:

soxfan22
08-31-2010, 09:22 AM
Nothing - just some good-natured ribbing. :smile:
As I said before, fuel for the forum. Love it! :D:

Dub25
08-31-2010, 11:41 PM

We will, unfortunately, always have fans like the woman exclaiming "eeyuck" but, you know what, I would guess that she is not from Chicago but instead moved to the near north side after college and was originally from some suburb of New York, Cleveland or Detroit or someplace other than Chicago. In any event, the Sox future is bright and I believe that the Cubs' seemingly endless free pass will end one of these days.

I agree with you.

Frontman
09-01-2010, 06:50 AM
Last night's Cubs game proves it; it doesn't matter what they do.

31,000+ paid attendance. Doesn't matter if they didn't show up; that ticket money is already taken in. Same with the rooftop experience, and all that. Place was pretty empty; yet people still think so fondly about that club so it just won't matter.

Hope you enjoyed your stay here; even with the Cubs mantra laying it on pretty thick.

KenBerryGrab
09-01-2010, 11:18 AM
I'll take my hits, take the heat and get on with being a Sox fan.

That's the spirit!

g0g0
09-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Yes....give into your hate...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_JyoK8RVPE

soxfan22
09-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Last night's Cubs game proves it; it doesn't matter what they do.

31,000+ paid attendance. Doesn't matter if they didn't show up; that ticket money is already taken in. Same with the rooftop experience, and all that. Place was pretty empty; yet people still think so fondly about that club so it just won't matter.

Hope you enjoyed your stay here; even with the Cubs mantra laying it on pretty thick.

You guys have the best City in the World, I mean it.

That's me been to Chicago 3 years out of 4

2007 first Sox game, won against the Angels 5 - 3,
2009 got married in Chicago, my second Sox game, but lost 6 - 1 v the BoSox
2010 attended Game 1(w 7 -5) and Game 3 (w 8 - 0) v the Orioles and Game 1 v the Yankees (w 9 - 4)

2010 - 3 games attended, 3 wins and an aggregate score of 24 - 9. Happy Days! :)
Hopefully back again next year.

Go Sox

Hitmen77
09-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Yes....give into your hate...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_JyoK8RVPE

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:4JEB2mm8VTHcxM:http://www.matthewbarr.co.uk/personality/images/emperor3.jpg (http://www.matthewbarr.co.uk/personality/images/emperor3.jpg)

"The hate is swelling in you now!"

I always thought the emperor tipped his hand too much to Luke. "Release your anger........and become my servant!" (D'oh! maybe I shouldn't have said that 2nd part out loud!)

cub killer
09-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Two pages already? :D:

Whether the "English" came up with the word soccer or not is totally irrellevant, I still hate the word and my love for that sport diminished a long time ago. And anyway, "Soccer" was always Football before anything else.

Haha, when I was a newbie here, I suggested that we call the sport Football here in the U.S. Everybody vehemently disagreed with me :angry:

soxfan22
09-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Haha, when I was a newbie here, I suggested that we call the sport Football here in the U.S. Everybody vehemently disagreed with me :angry:

Soccer is a minority sport in the US, I'd rather it stayed that way

SephClone89
09-07-2010, 10:52 AM

I call it either, depending on the context. If it's in the context of a conversation where it's clear what I'm talking about, I'll say "football."

guillensdisciple
09-07-2010, 10:58 AM

The US definitely does not deserve the sport, but I would love to see some serious football played in the states. It's embarrassing to watch us play in comparison to the talent and play they have in Europe. Different level, and for a country this big, the US has to get it right someday.

soxfan43
09-07-2010, 11:39 AM
The US definitely does not deserve the sport, but I would love to see some serious football played in the states. It's embarrassing to watch us play in comparison to the talent and play they have in Europe. Different level, and for a country this big, the US has to get it right someday.

So the US doesn't deserve a sport it clearly doesn't want? Can't wait for the next World Cup so I can hear about how close soccer is to breaking through in the US.

Nellie_Fox
09-07-2010, 01:31 PM
...I would love to see some serious football played in the states.The NFL isn't serious enough for you?

DumpJerry
09-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Eliminate pigskin football, basketball, hockey, and baseball from American culture and we'll be kings of the world in soccer. Keep exciting sports in the American menu, and soccer will not totally capture the American heart and soul.

I never see bumper stickers in America which read "Playfootball" "Playbaseball" "Playhockey" or "Playbasketball." When a sport needs a bumper sticker telling you to play it, it is admitting its minor status.

g0g0
09-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Eliminate pigskin football, basketball, hockey, and baseball from American culture and we'll be kings of the world in soccer. Keep exciting sports in the American menu, and soccer will not totally capture the American heart and soul.

I never see bumper stickers in America which read "Playfootball" "Playbaseball" "Playhockey" or "Playbasketball." When a sport needs a bumper sticker telling you to play it, it is admitting its minor status.

Nike promotes all of it with "Just Do It" :smile:

Frontman
09-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Get rid of the ties,
the hooliganism,
the stabbings/beatings and especially the firebombings;
and maybe soccer *might* catch on with the American fans.

Soccer/football fans would get more Americans to take a look at the sport if they would stop the comments, like; oh, I don't know, "America doesn't deserve the sport."

Get off the high horse you all ride. Every time soccer fans brag about how popular the sport is; I only have to see this:

jK2v7FvZ6-c

and I'll say I'm glad I'm not part of the "in" crowd when it comes to soccer.

RadioheadRocks
09-07-2010, 07:10 PM

For what it's worth, the PLAYSOCCER bumper stickers you are seeing refer to the American Youth Soccer Organization (AYSO); this is evident in the letter coloring used on the bumper sticker: PLAYSOCCER

FoulTerritory
09-07-2010, 07:26 PM
I always thought the emperor tipped his hand too much to Luke. "Release your anger........and become my servant!" (D'oh! maybe I shouldn't have said that 2nd part out loud!)

Well, it turned out that his overconfidence was his weakenss . . .

cub killer
09-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Why, because the USA did better than England in the last World Cup?

It will always be a minority sport, but the population advantage will allow the USA to continue to do better than England and beat teams like Spain (like in the Confederations Cup).

If the UK would combine to form 1 national team like our 50 states do, it would help you guys out. It's too bad you let cultural differences get in the way.

SephClone89
09-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Get rid of the ties,
the hooliganism,
the stabbings/beatings and especially the firebombings;
and maybe soccer *might* catch on with the American fans.

Soccer/football fans would get more Americans to take a look at the sport if they would stop the comments, like; oh, I don't know, "America doesn't deserve the sport."

Get off the high horse you all ride. Every time soccer fans brag about how popular the sport is; I only have to see this:

jK2v7FvZ6-c

and I'll say I'm glad I'm not part of the "in" crowd when it comes to soccer.

Not this again.

SephClone89
09-07-2010, 08:49 PM
If the UK would combine to form 1 national team like our 50 states do, it would help you guys out. It's too bad you let cultural differences get in the way.

Except there are very few Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish players who would make it into the England team.

Craig Grebeck
09-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Ties?! THE HORROR! AMERICANS DON'T PLAY FOR TIES.

SephClone89
09-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Ties?! THE HORROR! AMERICANS DON'T PLAY FOR TIES.

Yeah, seriously. I don't understand the extreme aversion to draws in this country.

Frontman
09-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Not this again.

Too bad, its a part of football's "proud" history.

If soccer/football fans would stop the elitist attitude; I'm us unwashed, uneducated American neanderthals will stop pointing out how its fans have no reason to be elitist.

And as far as the whole ties/draws thing; I believe Patton said it best (or at least his movie version did.)

"All real Americans love the sting of battle. When you were kids, you all admired the champion marble shooter, the fastest runner, big league ball players, the toughest boxers. Americans love a winner and will not tolerate a loser."

We play to win; we don't play to draw. Playing to draw is for kids. Professional athletics should have a winner and a loser.

cub killer
09-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Except there are very few Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish players who would make it into the England team.
Well, the day one of those countries produces another George Best, the English may regret the fact that they can't use him. Imagine if we couldn't use Howard, Dempsey or Donovan because they're not from the midwest.

cards press box
09-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Too bad, its a part of football's "proud" history.

If soccer/football fans would stop the elitist attitude; I'm us unwashed, uneducated American neanderthals will stop pointing out how its fans have no reason to be elitist.

And as far as the whole ties/draws thing; I believe Patton said it best (or at least his movie version did.)

"All real Americans love the sting of battle. When you were kids, you all admired the champion marble shooter, the fastest runner, big league ball players, the toughest boxers. Americans love a winner and will not tolerate a loser."

We play to win; we don't play to draw. Playing to draw is for kids. Professional athletics should have a winner and a loser.

I disagree. Ties have played a major role in the history of American sports. I have a prime example involving Chicago's very own Coach Mike Ditka.

On November 24, 1963 (two days after the assassination of President John F. Kennedy), the Bears played the Steelers in Pittsburgh.* Late in the game, the Bears trailed 17-14 and were deep in their own territory, facing a third down and 33 yards to go. Ditka caught a pass in the flat and ran for 63 yards. You may have seen the run on film -- Ditka broke through five or six would-be tackles. The Bears then kicked a field goal to tie the game 17-17.

The game ended 17-17 and the Bears ended the 1963 season at 11-1-2 and Western Conference champions, 1/2 game ahead of second place Green Bay who was 11-2-1. The NFL did not have playoffs in those days. The Bears faced the Eastern Conference champion New York Giants for the NFL championship and defeated them 14-10.

The moral of the story: no hard earned tie against the Steelers, no NFL championship. Put it another way, if the Bears didn't earn that tie against Pittsburgh, they would not have had an opportunity to win the championship game.

*Unlike the AFL which cancelled its games that Sunday, the NFL played its games. Commissioner Pete Rozelle said at the time, "Football was Mr. Kennedy's game. He thrived on competition." Some think that the decision not to cancel the games was Rozelle's biggest mistake in his long and successful career.

doublem23
09-08-2010, 12:22 AM

Uh, you realize there are ties in American football, right?

Frontman
09-08-2010, 06:31 AM
Uh, you realize there are ties in American football, right?

Not in games that matter. Regular season, yes. Play off football? No.

Craig Grebeck
09-08-2010, 07:28 AM
And this "Play off" (sic) mentality does not apply to soccer...what? I take it you have never seen Brandi Chastain? I can't remember -- did they tie?

Elitist foreigners wahhhhhh.

Bob Roarman
09-08-2010, 07:36 AM

Hahaha, man, this dude. Just stop man. You're just digging a bigger hole for yourself. That Patton quote was hilarious.

Craig Grebeck
09-08-2010, 07:45 AM
I just love this idea of hard-headed Americans vs. foreign elitists. How is it not a brazen display of elitism to flat out state that it is against the American ideal to play for a draw?

doublem23
09-08-2010, 07:48 AM

OK, there are no ties in the knockout stages of soccer tourneys, either.

SephClone89
09-08-2010, 08:20 AM

Haha.

You essentially just described how draws work in soccer.

Hitmen77
09-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Holy thread hijacks, Batman!:o:

....at least the original topic was crappy to begin with.

SephClone89
09-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Well, the day one of those countries produces another George Best, the English may regret the fact that they can't use him. Imagine if we couldn't use Howard, Dempsey or Donovan because they're not from the midwest.

Except the home nations of the UK are hardly analogous to the US states.

SOXPHILE
09-08-2010, 09:32 AM
So the US doesn't deserve a sport it clearly doesn't want? Can't wait for the next World Cup so I can hear about how close soccer is to breaking through in the US.

:clap:

This is so true. I remember when I was in Little League 25-30 years ago, and we were constantly being told "baseball is ok now, but within the next 10 years, soccer is going to completely pass baseball in terms of popularity, all the kids will be playing soccer, no one will really care about baseball anymore, MLB will be in decline".

Later, when I was in high school, we were being told "Soccer is going to be passing up baseball and football within the next 10 years. "

In 1994, when the World Cup was played in the U.S., I was told that finally, this was the big breakthrough for soccer, and that within the next decade, it's popularity would soar through the roof.

I believe it was 1999 when that girl (Brandi Chastain ? sp ? ) tore off her shirt. This, I was told, was just what soccer needed. Now it would really take off in the U.S. Watch out baseball ! Watch out football ! Get out of the way basketball ! Here comes soccer !

Every time the World Cup took place, 1998, 2002, 2006, I keep being told soccer is the real deal. This year, I heard that because of the popularity soccer around the world, and the World Cup being played this year, the U.S. would finally begin to accept it and it would become popular here.

Also, I might add, I am also constantly being told that I don't understand the "beauty" of the game, and therefore, must be some kind of Neanderthal for not accepting it. Also, it's the most popular sport in the world, therefore, something must be wrong with me and other Americans who just straight up do not like it. Also, I'm a xenophobe because it's played by people in other countries and of different races than me. Yes, that is correct. Soccer is clearly not played at all in Ireland, Germany and the Scandanavian countries that my ancestors came from.

TheOldRoman
09-08-2010, 09:43 AM
:clap:

This is so true. I remember when I was in Little League 25-30 years ago, and we were constantly being told "baseball is ok now, but within the next 10 years, soccer is going to completely pass baseball in terms of popularity, all the kids will be playing soccer, no one will really care about baseball anymore, MLB will be in decline".

Later, when I was in high school, we were being told "Soccer is going to be passing up baseball and football within the next 10 years. "

In 1994, when the World Cup was played in the U.S., I was told that finally, this was the big breakthrough for soccer, and that within the next decade, it's popularity would soar through the roof.

I believe it was 1999 when that girl (Brandi Chastain ? sp ? ) tore off her shirt. This, I was told, was just what soccer needed. Now it would really take off in the U.S. Watch out baseball ! Watch out football ! Get out of the way basketball ! Here comes soccer !

Every time the World Cup took place, 1998, 2002, 2006, I keep being told soccer is the real deal. This year, I heard that because of the popularity soccer around the world, and the World Cup being played this year, the U.S. would finally begin to accept it and it would become popular here.

Also, I might add, I am also constantly being told that I don't understand the "beauty" of the game, and therefore, must be some kind of Neanderthal for not accepting it. Also, it's the most popular sport in the world, therefore, something must be wrong with me and other Americans who just straight up do not like it. Also, I'm a xenophobe because it's played by people in other countries and of different races than me. Yes, that is correct. Soccer is clearly not played at all in Ireland, Germany and the Scandanavian countries that my ancestors came from.Great post. My favorite thing was when a soccer fanboy called hockey "boring." Seriously? I understand if you aren't a fan of hockey, but the games have the same layout, concept, and basically the same rules. The only difference is that hockey is about 100x faster (which I guess makes it boring). I am with you. I have tried to watch soccer before and it is not for me. I couldn't care less if other people watch it, but it is a little annoying to always hear the excuses listed above.

SephClone89
09-08-2010, 09:51 AM
I don't think you can deny the fact that soccer is steadily becoming more and more popular in the States though, especially among under 30 crowd.

SOXPHILE
09-08-2010, 10:06 AM
I don't think you can deny the fact that soccer is steadily becoming more and more popular in the States though, especially among under 30 crowd.

I was told similar things 20+ years ago. It hasn't really grown that much since. A lot of little kids play soccer, because it's a fun activity for them. They get to run around for an hour or so. Parents like it because it's an activity that wears them out. Most kids usually outgrow it, and become more interested in baseball, football and basketball. My own son plays it now. I actually coached his kindergaren-1st grader team in the park district last fall, indoor in the winter, and this past spring. Something I thought I would never do. But he wanted to try it, and they didn't have enough coaches for the teams. This fall, he's on a different 1st grader team in a different league. We're not coaching this year, they have people for it. But I do love going to his practices and games and watching him play, because he is enjoying himself. Having said and done all that, I still cannot stand soccer. I fully expect him to eventually outgrow it in the next couple of years. He's already told me he loves playing t-ball/baseball much better, nnd wants to try out hockey, football and basketball too.

SephClone89
09-08-2010, 10:09 AM
I was told similar things 20+ years ago. It hasn't really grown that much since. A lot of little kids play soccer, because it's a fun activity for them. They get to run around for an hour or so. Parents like it because it's an activity that wears them out. Most kids usually outgrow it, and become more interested in baseball, football and basketball. My own son plays it now. I actually coached his kindergaren-1st grader team in the park district last fall, indoor in the winter, and this past spring. Something I thought I would never do. But he wanted to try it, and they didn't have enough coaches for the teams. This fall, he's on a different 1st grader team in a different league. We're not coaching this year, they have people for it. But I do love going to his practices and games and watching him play, because he is enjoying himself. Having said and done all that, I still cannot stand soccer. I fully expect him to eventually outgrow it in the next couple of years. He's already told me he loves playing t-ball/baseball much better, nnd wants to try out hockey, football and basketball too.

I had two different waiters at a restaurant a couple of weeks ago see me wearing my Tottenham shirt and ask if I'd watched the game earlier that day. On top of that, one of them said I was the second guy they'd seen in a Spurs shirt that day.

Five years ago even a Man Utd shirt wouldn't attract that question. It might lead to "Oh, are you a Man U fan? That's cool etc", but I don't think you would have people aware that a game had been played that day. That is a sign of a great deal of growth in interest in about 18-24 males.

Nellie_Fox
09-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Great post. My favorite thing was when a soccer fanboy called hockey "boring." Seriously? I understand if you aren't a fan of hockey, but the games have the same layout, concept, and basically the same rules. The only difference is that hockey is about 100x faster (which I guess makes it boring). I am with you. I have tried to watch soccer before and it is not for me. I couldn't care less if other people watch it, but it is a little annoying to always hear the excuses listed above.Not to mention that hockey also has contact, and when players get knocked down, they get up and get back in the action instead of writhing around on the ground screaming. The "flopping" in big-time soccer is, all by itself, enough to keep me away.

ewokpelts
09-08-2010, 10:20 AM
I don't think you can deny the fact that soccer is steadily becoming more and more popular in the States though, especially among under 30 crowd.i'm 30, and i've been hearing the same crap for almost 20 years now. kids playing soccer in school dosent equal them playing at they get older or watching it on tv/live.

look at mls. most teams LEFT larger facilities(like the fire) to play in parks barely bigger than nba arenas.

SephClone89
09-08-2010, 10:24 AM
i'm 30, and i've been hearing the same crap for almost 20 years now. kids playing soccer in school dosent equal them playing at they get older or watching it on tv/live.

look at mls. most teams LEFT larger facilities(like the fire) to play in parks barely bigger than nba arenas.

Read my latest post.

EDIT:

I agree that interest in MLS has largely been stagnant. However, interest in the US team and the European leagues; the game played at its highest level is definitely on the upswing.

ewokpelts
09-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Read my latest post.

EDIT:

I agree that interest in MLS has largely been stagnant. However, interest in the US team and the European leagues; the game played at its highest level is definitely on the upswing.and how are the ratings for those international games? that are played when people are at work in the states?

i also hear from people that league soccer in any form sucks, and that they'll only watch wold cup/olympic soccer.

SephClone89
09-08-2010, 10:41 AM
and how are the ratings for those international games? that are played when people are at work in the states?

http://www.epltalk.com/espn-and-fox-soccer-channel-see-bounce-in-epl-tv-ratings/23335?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EPLTalk+%28EPL+Talk%29

i also hear from people that league soccer in any form sucks, and that they'll only watch wold cup/olympic soccer.That's absolutely hilarious, because most soccer fans will take club football over internationals any day of the week. Everyone hates the international breaks that clubs have to take during the season (right now, for example). The only time that the internationals take precedence is during the big tournaments (World Cup, Euros) and the closing stages of the qualifying to those tournaments. Each and every year the sport inches closer to the club game having precedence. A lot of this is due to the fact that the quality of the game is much higher at the top echelons of the club level: you have a team that trains and plays together day in and day out almost year round, rather than the international sides, who only meet every couple of months.

Also, you're mistaken, because absolutely nobody watches Olympic soccer. It's a complete joke.

SOXPHILE
09-08-2010, 10:53 AM
I had two different waiters at a restaurant a couple of weeks ago see me wearing my Tottenham shirt and ask if I'd watched the game earlier that day. On top of that, one of them said I was the second guy they'd seen in a Spurs shirt that day.

Five years ago even a Man Utd shirt wouldn't attract that question. It might lead to "Oh, are you a Man U fan? That's cool etc", but I don't think you would have people aware that a game had been played that day. That is a sign of a great deal of growth in interest in about 18-24 males.

The San Antonio Spurs ?

Maybe, but I need a little bit bigger sample size, ie, number of people and period of time. A couple of waiters at a restaurant saying that about a soccer shirt you are wearing is notable I guess, but I wouldn't necassarily say it means there's a great deal of growth in interest in 18-24 year old males. From what I've seen, and I could be wrong, many of these 18-24 year old males watching soccer, & wearing soccer shirts, are the "urban hipster" type, trying to be on top of whatever the latest trendy thing is. I see a slight uptick in this during World Cup years, when the media, repeating what it said 4 years prior, asks if THIS is the year soccer finally catches on in the U.S., and runs repeated stories about it. I watched it happen in 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006 and again this year. It ebbs and flows. There is a little increase in interest because of the World Cup being this year, and then, in the next couple of years, it fades out. I compare the championship celebrations in this city for the Sox, Bulls, Bears and Blackhawks over the last 25 years. Millions of people lined the parade routs and jammed into Grant Park, and there was wall to wall media coverage. When the Fire won their championship a few years ago (I don't remember or know the year), I believe there was a pep rally in Daley Plaza, and it was a side blurb on the news.

SephClone89
09-08-2010, 10:57 AM
The San Antonio Spurs ?
No, the Spurs who existed about 85 years before the San Antonio team was founded.

I compare the championship celebrations in this city for the Sox, Bulls, Bears and Blackhawks over the last 25 years. Millions of people lined the parade routs and jammed into Grant Park, and there was wall to wall media coverage. When the Fire won their championship a few years ago (I don't remember or know the year), I believe there was a pep rally in Daley Plaza, and it was a side blurb on the news.

Again, I won't make any claim that MLS is increasing in popularity at any great rate.

ewokpelts
09-08-2010, 11:00 AM
http://www.epltalk.com/espn-and-fox-soccer-channel-see-bounce-in-epl-tv-ratings/23335?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EPLTalk+%28EPL+Talk%29

That's absolutely hilarious, because most soccer fans will take club football over internationals any day of the week. Everyone hates the international breaks that clubs have to take during the season (right now, for example). The only time that the internationals take precedence is during the big tournaments (World Cup, Euros) and the closing stages of the qualifying to those tournaments. Each and every year the sport inches closer to the club game having precedence. A lot of this is due to the fact that the quality of the game is much higher at the top echelons of the club level: you have a team that trains and plays together day in and day out almost year round, rather than the international sides, who only meet every couple of months.

Also, you're mistaken, because absolutely nobody watches Olympic soccer. It's a complete joke.is the "everyone" you refer to hard core soccer fans?

SephClone89
09-08-2010, 11:04 AM
is the "everyone" you refer to hard core soccer fans?

I essentially meant fans of the sport around the globe, with an obvious bias towards the English speaking ones who I've come into contact with. This includes sportswriters as well.

ewokpelts
09-08-2010, 11:16 AM
I essentially meant fans of the sport around the globe, with an obvious bias towards the English speaking ones who I've come into contact with. This includes sportswriters as well.
well, we're talking about soccer in AMERICA, where it's lower than even the NHL.

SephClone89
09-08-2010, 11:23 AM
well, we're talking about soccer in AMERICA, where it's lower than even the NHL.

I was saying that it's hilarious that your friends' taste in soccer is completely opposite of most soccer fans.

Also, I'd argue that before the Blackhawks resurgence, in the Chicagoland area interest in hockey was only marginally higher than soccer.

KenBerryGrab
09-08-2010, 01:26 PM
For most little kids in the U.S., soccer gets put away with the Transformers and Pokemon cards as they grow up.

My son showed some aptitude at the sport, and coaches tried to get him to play year-round, to the exclusion of other sports. He did not want to do that, so he hung up his shin guards.

soxfan43
09-08-2010, 01:41 PM
For most little kids in the U.S., soccer gets put away with the Transformers and Pokemon cards as they grow up.

My son showed some aptitude at the sport, and coaches tried to get him to play year-round, to the exclusion of other sports. He did not want to do that, so he hung up his shin guards.

I hate that kids so young are being forced to make decisions like that. I loved being able to play a bunch of sports throughout the year as a kid. Kids that young have obviously not even gotten done growing yet, so who knows what type of sport might best fit them later in their childhood.

TDog
09-08-2010, 02:32 PM

Most Hispanic kids don't grow out of soccer, especially in communities with a heavily Hispanic population. The overall popularity of soccer could change with American ethnic demographics. Not to say whether that is good or bad, although I would rather live in a country where soccer is popular than where gridiron football is popular.

jdm2662
09-08-2010, 03:12 PM

Like I tell everyone, if you don't like any sport, ignore it or change the channel. That's all you need to do. I find people who complained/whined during the World Cup amusing as hell. It's like it was threatening their every day life. There are 500 other channels to watch if you don't like something. It's almost like the people who still complain about ESPN. there is no reason to watch ESPN anymore, so I have no idea why people still complain about it. Do what I did six years ago. Don't watch it. College football is very popular in the US, and it's on about eight different channels all day on a typical Saturday. Guess what? I hate it with a passion. I simply watch something else or find something else on. I don't act like it's threatening my daily life.

As for people saying the sport hasn't grown in the last 20-25 years, well, you simply don't know what you are talking about. I started playing soccer in 1984 as a seven year old. It was an AYSO/rec league, and it was just started in a big town of Elmhurst. In 1987, my father co-founded a league in my hometown of Hillside and Berkeley. During this time, there was no professional outdoor league, and an indoor league was barely on the radar. As for our league, my father was the only coach/ref, etc. that ever played soccer. He is a second generation Italian from the west side of Chicago and has no ties to Europe. When asked what part of Italy he was from, he would answer he's from the west side of Chicago. There were also very few traveling leagues. So, yes, he was the exception to the rule.

Now, fast forward to 2000 when I started reffing schools, rec, and traveling leagues. There are hundreds and hundreds more traveling teams than there was 25 years ago. There are multiple tournaments going on every weekend in the state. It is also a big deal and highly competitive. The coaches, even in the AYSO/rec leagues, were pretty solid. IHSA and traveling leagues are always short of officials. Reffing a high school game by myself wasn't very fun. All this made me jealous. My father typically coached my brother's teams. While my coach was a nice guy and I think highly of him, he simply didn't know the game that well. I did not have the resources these kids had. It was flat out amazing to me. So, anyone thinks it's on the same level as it was 20-25 years ago, well, you simply you don't know what you are talking about.

As for the professional level, it will never be big in the US. You know what? I don't care one bit. I'm not a marketing person, and I don't care what others think. I simply will watch, and that's that. If you like it, great. If you don't, then there are things to watch. You want to make fun of it? Well, if you have to make fun of something, you are simply insecure of yourself and trying to get yourself to feel better. I'm just happy there is an actually an outdoor league for me to follow. I didn't have that growing up.

In short, if you like soccer, enjoy it and don't worry about what others think. If you don't like it, change the channel or ignore it. It's that simple.

doublem23
09-08-2010, 03:16 PM
In short, if you like soccer, enjoy it and don't worry about what others thing. If you don't like it, change the channel or ignore it. It's that simple.

That's all well and good, except there's a very large segment of the soccer fan population that sees themselves as superior to those of us who are half-hearted or completely disinterested. Like you're some kind of caveman moron who doesn't like sitting for 90 minutes to watch a goal or two and 2-3 more shots even go anywhere near the net.

Bull**** like this,

Most Hispanic kids don't grow out of soccer, especially in communities with a heavily Hispanic population. The overall popularity of soccer could change with American ethnic demographics. Not to say whether that is good or bad, although I would rather live in a country where soccer is popular than where gridiron football is popular.

who ****ing cares if you'd rather live in a soccer-friendly country than a football-friendly one. Seriously. Believe me, I don't mind soccer, and it's pretty easy to ignore most of the time, it's the soccer fan club that sucks. You like soccer, we get it, bully for you. I like baseball and football more.

Frontman
09-08-2010, 03:17 PM
I was saying that it's hilarious that your friends' taste in soccer is completely opposite of most soccer fans.

Also, I'd argue that before the Blackhawks resurgence, in the Chicagoland area interest in hockey was only marginally higher than soccer.

And it will go down as time passes unless the Blackhawks continue to win championships. Winning and being popular is when the talk is that the sport is on the upswing.

You soccer fans quote how popular it is right now, on the heels of the World Cup. Do the same survey the same time next year? Popularity of the sport will once again be down.

But do go on how we don't deserve it. You can get on all of us who don't like it all you want; but jdm2662 said it the best:

Go watch it and leave us alone; and we'll watch our sports and leave you alone.

jdm2662
09-08-2010, 03:35 PM
That's all well and good, except there's a very large segment of the soccer fan population that sees themselves as superior to those of us who are half-hearted or completely disinterested. Like you're some kind of caveman moron who doesn't like sitting for 90 minutes to watch a goal or two and 2-3 more shots even go anywhere near the net.

Bull**** like this,

Doub, why does that bother you? Seriously. I've been told, hell, quite a bit here on WSI, how I can't watch college football. I'm a huge NFL fan as most people know, but I refuse to watch a minute of a college football game. If you can't watch football, there is something wrong with you, etc. Who cares there is no real champion, politcis of NCAA, etc. It's football! Well, my response? You can watch it if you want. I have no interest in it, and my life is just fine with something else.

Nellie_Fox
09-08-2010, 03:40 PM
I would rather live in a country where soccer is popular than where gridiron football is popular.Why? How would that make your life better?

SOXPHILE
09-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Like I tell everyone, if you don't like any sport, ignore it or change the channel. That's all you need to do. I find people who complained/whined during the World Cup amusing as hell. It's like it was threatening their every day life. There are 500 other channels to watch if you don't like something. It's almost like the people who still complain about ESPN. there is no reason to watch ESPN anymore, so I have no idea why people still complain about it. Do what I did six years ago. Don't watch it. College football is very popular in the US, and it's on about eight different channels all day on a typical Saturday. Guess what? I hate it with a passion. I simply watch something else or find something else on. I don't act like it's threatening my daily life.

As for people saying the sport hasn't grown in the last 20-25 years, well, you simply don't know what you are talking about. I started playing soccer in 1984 as a seven year old. It was an AYSO/rec league, and it was just started in a big town of Elmhurst. In 1987, my father co-founded a league in my hometown of Hillside and Berkeley. During this time, there was no professional outdoor league, and an indoor league was barely on the radar. As for our league, my father was the only coach/ref, etc. that ever played soccer. He is a second generation Italian from the west side of Chicago and has no ties to Europe. When asked what part of Italy he was from, he would answer he's from the west side of Chicago. There were also very few traveling leagues. So, yes, he was the exception to the rule.

Now, fast forward to 2000 when I started reffing schools, rec, and traveling leagues. There are hundreds and hundreds more traveling teams than there was 25 years ago. There are multiple tournaments going on every weekend in the state. It is also a big deal and highly competitive. The coaches, even in the AYSO/rec leagues, were pretty solid. IHSA and traveling leagues are always short of officials. Reffing a high school game by myself wasn't very fun. All this made me jealous. My father typically coached my brother's teams. While my coach was a nice guy and I think highly of him, he simply didn't know the game that well. I did not have the resources these kids had. It was flat out amazing to me. So, anyone thinks it's on the same level as it was 20-25 years ago, well, you simply you don't know what you are talking about.

As for the professional level, it will never be big in the US. You know what? I don't care one bit. I'm not a marketing person, and I don't care what others think. I simply will watch, and that's that. If you like it, great. If you don't, then there are things to watch. You want to make fun of it? Well, if you have to make fun of something, you are simply insecure of yourself and trying to get yourself to feel better. I'm just happy there is an actually an outdoor league for me to follow. I didn't have that growing up.

In short, if you like soccer, enjoy it and don't worry about what others think. If you don't like it, change the channel or ignore it. It's that simple.

I do ignore it, and I do change the channel when it's on. In none of my posts did I whine or make fun of it as you allude to. Some of us were just talking about how popular it is / isn't in this country. Some posters here like soccer and are explaining why. I don't like soccer, and am of the opinion that it's not that much more popular than it was 25-30 years ago, based on what I've seen and experienced in those 25-30 years. That's all. I don't act like it's "threatening my daily life". Outside of when my son plays his park district games, it's a non entity to me, just like all the "reality" tv shows, Oprah, and yes, college sports. I don't care. The only time I might get a little bent out of shape over it is when, after responding "No, I have not" to somebody who has asked me if I've been following the World Cup / Olympic soccer team /Fire etc., they proceed to start with the whole "How could I not, I don't understand the beauty of the game, I am some kind of stupid moron for not appreciating it, the sports I like are so much inferior to soccer, etc." Then, well, then I get a bit perturbed. Again, I never made fun soccer in any of my posts, but when I come across somebody like this, then, I do.

soxfan22
09-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Why, because the USA did better than England in the last World Cup?

It will always be a minority sport, but the population advantage will allow the USA to continue to do better than England and beat teams like Spain (like in the Confederations Cup).

It's amazing how this thread has evolved from a comment I heard from a Cub's fan to soccer :D:

Regardless of that, I now read that our cultural differences hold us back! Yes, go tell it to the Civil Rights Marchers!

You have 50 states to make up ONE Country, we have FOUR Countries to make up a Nation that is Great Britain. Each Country within that Nation has a Sovereign right to be Culturally different. History has shown that.

Anyway, enough of that.

However, the USA have the facilities to Coach "soccer" from grassroots, but will never have the desire to take it any further than the level they have reached now.

The USA will never win the World Cup (which for those that don't know, is a true World Championship competed for by Countries from all over the World, not like the World Series or Superbowl, very popular tournaments but NOT World Championships).

As for the USA winning the Confederations Cup match against Spain, well, it's really no big deal. The Confederations Cup is as important in Soccer as the first pre-season game prior to a new NFL Season.

SephClone89
09-08-2010, 04:15 PM
But do go on how we don't deserve it. You can get on all of us who don't like it all you want; but jdm2662 said it the best:

Go watch it and leave us alone; and we'll watch our sports and leave you alone.

I have never said that people don't deserve it or "get on" people who don't like it.

I just think the sport deserves some respect.

jdm2662
09-08-2010, 04:18 PM
I do ignore it, and I do change the channel when it's on. In none of my posts did I whine or make fun of it as you allude to. Some of us were just talking about how popular it is / isn't in this country. Some posters here like soccer and are explaining why. I don't like soccer, and am of the opinion that it's not that much more popular than it was 25-30 years ago, based on what I've seen and experienced in those 25-30 years. That's all. I don't act like it's "threatening my daily life". Outside of when my son plays his park district games, it's a non entity to me, just like all the "reality" tv shows, Oprah, and yes, college sports. I don't care. The only time I might get a little bent out of shape over it is when, after responding "No, I have not" to somebody who has asked me if I've been following the World Cup / Olympic soccer team /Fire etc., they proceed to start with the whole "How could I not, I don't understand the beauty of the game, I am some kind of stupid moron for not appreciating it, the sports I like are so much inferior to soccer, etc." Then, well, then I get a bit perturbed. Again, I never made fun soccer in any of my posts, but when I come across somebody like this, then, I do.

The only comment directed towards yourself in general is that the sport isn't any bigger than it was 25-30 years ago. That statement is incorrect, and I gave concrete evidence of that. It is WAYYY better and higher level than it was in the past. I lived it, and know first hand it's not even close on the same level as it was when I was a kid playing it. I think I'm qualified to give such assement considering I was involved in soccer for 23 years. Is it professionally on the same level as the big four? Nope, not even close. But, considering it didn't even exist until 1996 (and they are adding new teams and better players), it has grown per say. It just hasn't nor it will ever be on the same level as the big four.

The problem with the general population is that very few people can ever give a rational, realistic opinions. It's always got to be extreme, either it's a big no or a big yes. I guess I'm an odd ball trying to be rational and fair, but oh well. I like being different...

If you don't feel it has, oh well. I don't know what to tell you. I'm not going to change your opinion, and no one elses. The other comments I made were general assements on teh population, and it does exist. Too bad I'm not a typical soccer guy who cares what others think. And if I ever had kids and he didnt' want to play soccer, that's perfectly fine. I will never make my kid do something he doesn't want to (well, except make him go to school or somethign like that...).

TDog
09-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Why? How would that make your life better?

I've traveled extensively and I have learned such things.

I can't stand to be in the same room in which a football game is being televised. I went out to dinner Sunday night, and the waitress sat me in front of a television with the replay of a preseason Raiders game, which I complained about, but none of the televisions had on the Giants-Dodgers game.

jdm2662
09-08-2010, 04:23 PM
I've traveled extensively and I have learned such things.

I can't stand to be in the same room in which a football game is being televised. I went out to dinner Sunday night, and the waitress sat me in front of a television with the replay of a preseason Raiders game, which I complained about, but none of the televisions had on the Giants-Dodgers game.

How dare you not like a sport that majority of population does! :redneck

TDog
09-08-2010, 04:35 PM
How dare you not like a sport that majority of population does! :redneck

If I lived in Norway, it wouldn't be an issue. My love for baseball would be something exotic, like with Benjamin Sisko on Deep Space Nine.

Frontman
09-08-2010, 04:39 PM
I have never said that people don't deserve it or "get on" people who don't like it.

I just think the sport deserves some respect.

Fair enough; I also never said I don't respect the athletes who play it. Any athletic activity that takes skill or endurance; I respect. Soccer, hockey, racing, and even professional wrestling; those are physical activities that aren't easy.

We'll agree to disagree and get back to how the Cubs can do no wrong.

soxfan22
09-08-2010, 04:43 PM
The way I see it is, the USA hates change.

If the Majority were asked:

Why should they like Soccer? Why should they adopt it completely?

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they replied:

We don't and We won't!

The NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL, to name the obvious, have monopolised sport in the US. Soccer tried in the 70's to get a foot in Uncle Sam's door with the likes of true Soccer Superstars, Pele, Franz Beckenbaur and Johann Cruyff playing for the New York Cosmos (who?) of the NASL (what?).

It didn't work!

Put it another way, (American Football Leagues) the WFL, USFL, WAFL and XFL all tried to get a piece of the action but couldn't compete with the Cultured Leagues

I digress

Fast forward to the 21st Century and the likes of David Beckham being brought to the USA by LA for a ludicrous amount of cash!

What happens?

Beckham hates it, wants out of his contract, the fans (that turned up) turned against him and the MLS is just another league going nowhere.

Just my opinion

Frontman
09-08-2010, 05:18 PM
T

Fast forward to the 21st Century and the likes of David Beckham being brought to the USA by LA for a ludicrous amount of cash!

What happens?

Beckham hates it, wants out of his contract, the fans (that turned up) turned against him and the MLS is just another league going nowhere.

Just my opinion

Terrible example. First off, Beckham was washed up by the time he signed with the LA Galaxy. He arrived to a ton of fanfare and proceeded to prove he wasn't young by getting hurt, couldn't play, then when he recovered he played.....back in Europe.

Can't fault even American soccer fans for turning on him.

aryzner
09-08-2010, 06:33 PM
I love soccer with a passion. It's probably my favorite sport. I've said before that I'd rather see the USA win the World Cup than see the White Sox win the World Series. I guess that might not be a fair thing to say as I've already seen the Sox win but still. :P

I don't really talk about it much with anybody unless they ask me a question about it or if it's someone else I know who follows it.

I gave up discussing it with haters because I got sick of the generally misinformed opinions of various aspects of the sport. Some opinions were legit, many were taking isolated incidents and generalizing over things that don't happen very often at all.

Whatever. I also like NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL as well.

That all being said, as long as we're on the topic - anyone going to USA vs Poland on October 9th at Soldier Field? Should be a great game to go to. There's bound to be a lot of Polish support present.

g0g0
09-08-2010, 06:35 PM
The USA will never win the World Cup (which for those that don't know, is a true World Championship competed for by Countries from all over the World, not like the World Series or Superbowl, very popular tournaments but NOT World Championships).

Since when did you become psychic? Never say never. I'm not saying even in our lifetime, but to discount forever out is a long time.

To keep the Star Wars references alive in this thread also - Only Sith deals in absolutes. :D:

wgpytjlW5wU
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgpytjlW5wU)
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgpytjlW5wU)

SephClone89
09-08-2010, 06:35 PM
That all being said, as long as we're on the topic - anyone going to USA vs Poland on October 9th at Soldier Field? Should be a great game to go to. There's bound to be a lot of Polish support present.

I wish I could. :whiner: I'm going to be in England. I missed the last WCQ here as well.

I suppose I am going to 4-6 Spurs matches, though. :tongue:

ewokpelts
09-08-2010, 08:58 PM
It's amazing how this thread has evolved from a comment I heard from a Cub's fan to soccer :D:

Regardless of that, I now read that our cultural differences hold us back! Yes, go tell it to the Civil Rights Marchers!

You have 50 states to make up ONE Country, we have FOUR Countries to make up a Nation that is Great Britain. Each Country within that Nation has a Sovereign right to be Culturally different. History has shown that.

Anyway, enough of that.

However, the USA have the facilities to Coach "soccer" from grassroots, but will never have the desire to take it any further than the level they have reached now.

As for the USA winning the Confederations Cup match against Spain, well, it's really no big deal. The Confederations Cup is as important in Soccer as the first pre-season game prior to a new NFL Season.The US is technically 50 separate countries that allign themselves together due to shared cultural identity. same as Mexico.

TDog
09-08-2010, 09:52 PM

Anyway, enough of that.

As for the USA winning the Confederations Cup match against Spain, well, it's really no big deal. The Confederations Cup is as important in Soccer as the first pre-season game prior to a new NFL Season.

The digression isn't so amazing when you consider that the USA's chances of winning the World Cup don't look so different from the Cubs'
chances of winning the World Series, despite the fact that there are only 30 teams competing for the latter, and there is a World Series every year.

That may sound like a fairly smug thing for a White Sox fan to say, but I know there are Cubs fans who feel that way.

doublem23
09-08-2010, 09:53 PM
The US is technically 50 separate countries that allign themselves together due to shared cultural identity. same as Mexico.

Yeah, that hasn't been true since what? 1788?

Nellie_Fox
09-09-2010, 12:07 AM

Anyway, enough of that. Yes, please, enough of that, remainder edited out.

The US is technically 50 separate countries that allign themselves together due to shared cultural identity. same as Mexico.

Yeah, that hasn't been true since what? 1788?Please stop, because these are political statements that I can't address without taking this thread further political.

soxfan22
09-09-2010, 01:25 AM
Yes, please, enough of that, remainder edited out.

Please stop, because these are political statements that I can't address without taking this thread further political.

Hey NF go tell it to the guy who brought up our cultural differences holding us back in the first place!

Answering another post concerning Beckham, I wouldn't say washed up, he was better than any soccer player the US had to offer, probably still is, LA wouldn't have paid all that money otherwise.

As for politics? Forget it!

This is why my love for soccer vanished a long time ago, it creates this kind of bs. You know, the old line, "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!"

:D:

Go Sox

Frontman
09-09-2010, 06:47 AM
Washed up might be overstating it; but he certainly wasn't in his prime. Tiger Woods brought a ton of mainstream fans to golf; but that was because he was at the beginning of his rise. Beckham, at best; had leveled out.

I just think soccer, like golf and like NASCAR; will be very popular with its own fanbase; but struggle to pull in the casual sports fan on a regular basis.

doublem23
09-09-2010, 07:48 AM
Please stop, because these are political statements that I can't address without taking this thread further political.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize pointing out the United States is actually 1 state with 50 internal divisions was such a hot-button political issue.

In other amazing news of the day, have you seen this new dumbwaiter? Now I don't have to flood my dining chambers with lazy servants. It's brilliant!

ewokpelts
09-09-2010, 08:16 AM
Yes, please, enough of that, remainder edited out.

Please stop, because these are political statements that I can't address without taking this thread further political.It's more of a history lesson.

SephClone89
09-09-2010, 10:30 AM
I'm sorry, I didn't realize pointing out the United States is actually 1 state with 50 internal divisions was such a hot-button political issue.

In other amazing news of the day, have you seen this new dumbwaiter? Now I don't have to flood my dining chambers with lazy servants. It's brilliant!

We did kind of fight a war over that issue.

Nellie_Fox
09-09-2010, 10:43 AM
I'm sorry, I didn't realize pointing out the United States is actually 1 state with 50 internal divisions was such a hot-button political issue.To explain why that' wrong would be VERY political.

doublem23
09-09-2010, 10:57 AM
To explain why that' wrong would be VERY political.

Wait wait wait wait wait wait... Who is wrong? Myself? Ewok?

Are people actually arguing with me that the United States is 1 country?

Nellie_Fox
09-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Wait wait wait wait wait wait... Who is wrong? Myself? Ewok?

Are people actually arguing with me that the United States is 1 country?You keep asking things or making statements that I can't address without getting into political arguments and constitutional interpretation. I can't even find a way to clarify what I mean without being political.

doublem23
09-09-2010, 02:09 PM
You keep asking things or making statements that I can't address without getting into political arguments and constitutional interpretation. I can't even find a way to clarify what I mean without being political.

OK, then just riddle me this.

True or False: The United States of America is a single country.

Hint: The answer is not false.

Nellie_Fox
09-09-2010, 02:17 PM
OK, then just riddle me this.

True or False: The United States of America is a single country.

Hint: The answer is not false.It's not that simple. I wish you'd leave it alone.

Hint: Go read Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution, then the Tenth Amendment. Then Federalist 39 will further elucidate.

Orta 4-6-3
09-09-2010, 02:57 PM
I would describe myself as a casual soccer fan, and I find the soccer evangelists and the soccer bashers equally annoying.

Ever since I started following sports when I was eight (I'm 50 now), I have been hearing that soccer is the game of the future. And I have certainly see it grow (because it had so much room to grow) in that time. There are so many more youth leagues and high school programs now. The term "soccer mom" has become part of the lexicon. World Cup games used to be shown on closed circuit at movie theaters, and now you can watch them all from the comfort of your home.

Even forty some years ago, though, we would play soccer in gym class or intramurals. There never was any embargo against the sport. While there was always the perception that soccer was "the game everybody in the world plays except us", we did, in fact, play it. But it was just a game. Fun, exciting even, but just a game.

I can understand those passionate about soccer --- or any sport --- who would want to share their love and spread the word. But is an almost snobbish elitism among certain --- not all --- American soccer fans, who seem to think that anybody who doesn't love soccer, or God forbid prefers an "American" sport, are just typical dumb Americans, too dim to appreciate the subtlety of "The Beautiful Game". Similarly, there is, among many of soccer's detractors, a knee jerk xenophobic hatred of "that boring foreign game with no scoring".

In this day and age of satellite and internet, when one can watch EPL or Bundisliga games live, just because few of your friends and neighbors, or even your countrymen, care deeply for soccer, doesn't mean you will be deprived. As many of you have previously mentioned in this thread, everybody is free to watch and follow --- or not --- whatever sport they want. There are plenty of Americans who hate football, basketball, and/or baseball (though I doubt any of the last frequent WSI). There's lots of variety and plenty of room at the sports smorgasbord. You can choose to put something on your plate, or not; what's the point of deriding someone for liking something you don't, unless you like those childish "My sport's better than your sport" arguments?

Yes, soccer will continue to grow in the United States. It's a great game, and it's here to stay. Sorry, soccer bashers. But it will not become as popular here as it is most every else; we have three great American sports that much more intertwined with our history and culture, and just because we prefer these sports does not make us any less sophisticated. Sorry, soccer evangelists. I'm not saying that's good or bad, but that's the way it is. In the meantime, life's too short, so let's just leave everyone to enjoy whatever sport brings them joy.

Craig Grebeck
09-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Yeah, it's pretty sad that you can't even talk about the Constitution. Good grief.

doublem23
09-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Yeah, it's pretty sad that you can't even talk about the Constitution. Good grief.

Yeah, that's because we've tried that before and it failed. Epically.