PDA

View Full Version : *Official* We've seen this before Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
08-29-2010, 04:39 PM
When they hit, they can't pitch. When they pitch, they can't hit. Story of this series.

Streets
08-29-2010, 04:39 PM
What a bummer of a game on Frank Thomas Day.

LITTLE NELL
08-29-2010, 04:40 PM
League leader in SBs on first and Omar swings at the first pitch...What the ****.
How many 1 run games have we lost in August.

hi im skot
08-29-2010, 04:40 PM
So, two more years of Teahen, eh?

SoxSpeed22
08-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Great ceremony for Frank. Gavin made some mistakes early, but put together a good outing, Sale and Bobby held them there, but it just wasn't enough.
Unlike those bums from Baltimore and Cleveland, Nova actually has good stuff and used it well. Just came up short.

kittle42
Almost done...

LITTLE NELL
So, two more years of Teahen, eh?

You mean Mr. Excitement?

VMSNS
Gavin and the bullpen pitched very well
Offense is atrocious
Thames sucks
I hate Nick Swisher

That is all.

soltrain21
Balls.

chisoxfanatic
08-29-2010, 04:43 PM
What a sucky game. We'll be 5.5 back in about an hour.

Tragg
08-29-2010, 04:44 PM
What a sad 9th inning.
Beckham works a walk.
And then the top of the order comes up and a couple of failed bunt attempts later and then it's 2 hacks and 2 easy outs. That's the way to get Rivera.
Nothing like trying to give away 1/2 your outs to get Omar Vizquel to the plate.

BringHomeDaBacon
08-29-2010, 04:45 PM
I'm so sick of the illogical bull****

Giving away outs late in games.

Running with Lillibridge but not Pierre.

Pinch hitting Quentin for Teahen in the ninth against Rivera but not earlier against Wood with the bases loaded. And not DHing Quentin in the first place.

Ozzie can take his tinkering and shove it up his ass.

ChiSoxGal85
08-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Bleah. Can't even pull out a 1-run game, despite multiple opportunites with RISP. I am nauseated.

happydude
08-29-2010, 04:46 PM
The Yankees trotted out a very ordinary lineup over the weekend and still took 2 of 3 from us. Frankly, we look like an average ballclub that caught lightning in a bottle for an extended period; nothing more. Its a bitter realization to have to come to.

I would have preferred Pierre to make a sincere effort to hit the ball hard somewhere instead of looking for a gimmick there in the 9th. I know he's a slap hitter but his late game approaches seem to be filled with self doubt.

LITTLE NELL
08-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Bleah. Can't even pull out a 1-run game, despite multiple opportunites with RISP. I am nauseated.

Me too, where do they keep the barf bags?

FielderJones
08-29-2010, 04:48 PM
blah blah unknown rookie blah blah no talent pitcher blah blah walkerball blah blah jim thome blah blah season over

thomas35forever
08-29-2010, 04:52 PM
blah blah unknown rookie blah blah no talent pitcher blah blah walkerball blah blah jim thome blah blah season over
That's basically WSI in a nutshell.

Pablo_Honey
08-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Season is not over but if we've been repeating this kind of performances too many times for us to get hopeful about making the postseason. This lineup looks like it will take more than a slugger in the middle to make it better. At least Sale and Jenks looked great tonight.

Dick Allen
08-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Yesterday's game, it's "we don't need Manny". After today, get him here right ****ing now. Though it's probably too late. Dammit!!:angry:

Soxman219
08-29-2010, 04:58 PM
My only hope is the Sox go on a hot streak in September. August is never good for us, even in 2005. We lose on Frank Thomas Day, damn.:mad:

thomas35forever
08-29-2010, 05:01 PM
My only hope is the Sox go on a hot streak in September. August is never good for us, even in 2005. We lose on Frank Thomas Day, damn.:mad:
Wasn't it on Carlton Fisk Day when Bevington called for a reliever that wasn't warming up? If that's true, then today went a lot better.

BringHomeDaBacon
08-29-2010, 05:04 PM

well done sir

happydude
08-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Season is not over but if we've been repeating this kind of performances too many times for us to get hopeful about making the postseason. This lineup looks like it will take more than a slugger in the middle to make it better. At least Sale and Jenks looked great tonight.

This is the thing. Of course we're still in it but what significance does it have when our play is of second division quality and has been for the great majority of the season? I'd like to win the division but how much do we rejoice if the Twins somehow fall apart and we squeak in? Is this a team that has a legitimate shot at winning a series against the best teams in the AL?

WhiteSox5187

Pinch hitting Quentin for Teahen in the ninth against Rivera but not earlier against Wood with the bases loaded. And not DHing Quentin in the first place.

Every time Pierre was on base he ran.

Dan H
The White Sox are not in an impossible position even if they lose another game in the standings today, but they look like they're dead. A 3-3 homestand doesn' cut it. This team just can't get a decent streak going. Now they have to go on the road. The only thing that can pull them out of this is a long winning streak but before we hope for that, let's see them win two in a row first.

Dick Allen
Wasn't it on Carlton Fisk Day when Bevington called for a reliever that wasn't warming up? If that's true, then today went a lot better.No, Carlton Fisk Day was in '05, Sox beat Seattle.

thomas35forever
08-29-2010, 05:06 PM
No, Carlton Fisk Day was in '05, Sox beat Seattle.
I mean the day No. 72 was retired.

WhiteSox5187
08-29-2010, 05:09 PM
This is the thing. Of course we're still in it but what significance does it have when our play is of second division quality and has been for the great majority of the season? I'd like to win the division but how much do we rejoice if the Twins somehow fall apart and we squeak in? Is this a team that has a legitimate shot at winning a series against the best teams in the AL?

Anything can happen in the playoffs, an 83 win Cardinal team won it all. Anything can happen but you have to get in first.

As for the loss. It is what it is, this team has been consistently inconsistent. There were a lot of allusions made to the '83 team but really the '77 Sox are a more accurate representation. The '77 were a mediocre team with a fantastic July. This year's Sox are a mediocre team who had a fantastic June and July. The Hitmen won in a different way than this team, but neither one of them were exactly world beaters.

WhiteSox5187
08-29-2010, 05:10 PM
The White Sox are not in an impossible position even if they lose another game in the standings today, but they look like they're dead. A 3-3 homestand doesn' cut it. This team just can't get a decent streak going. Now they have to go on the road. The only thing that can pull them out of this is a long winning streak but before we hope for that, let's see them win two in a row first.

We won back to back games this week, but before then when was the last time we won consecutive games?

DrCrawdad
08-29-2010, 05:14 PM
When they hit, they can't pitch. When they pitch, they can't hit. Story of this series.

Unfortunately it's not just this game, outside of the hot streak it's been that way a lot this season.

Me too, where do they keep the barf bags?

Me too!

thomas35forever
08-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Unfortunately it's not just this game, outside of the hot streak it's been that way a lot this season.

I think it's been like that ever since the hot streak ended.

WhiteSox1989
08-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Rough game.

Lillibridge getting caught stealing was huge.

I'm hoping the Manny deal is done by tomorrow. Sox need that extra bat.

WhiteSox5187
08-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Rough game.

Lillibridge getting caught stealing was huge.

I'm hoping the Manny deal is done by tomorrow. Sox need that extra bat.

We need all kinds of help.

BringHomeDaBacon
08-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Every time Pierre was on base he ran.

He didn't get a chance to run in the ninth.

tstrike2000
08-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Well, at least the part before the game where we honored the Big Hurt was special and a great tribute. The only other positives outside of the Sox pitching today were the Twins somehow lost to Luke French, so at least there wasn't yet another game lost.

WhiteSox5187
08-29-2010, 05:23 PM
He didn't get a chance to run in the ninth.

He was running on the pitch and was half way to second when Omar swung. I was baffled as to why Omar was first pitch swinging.

BringHomeDaBacon
08-29-2010, 05:23 PM
He was running on the pitch and was half way to second when Omar swung. I was baffled as to why Omar was first pitch swinging.

Me too.

Chisox353014
08-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Just couldn't get the big hit when they needed it. Some strange baserunning decisions, too.

I really enjoyed seeing Cervelli celebrate like he just singlehandedly won the World Series after catching that pop up to end it. ****er. :angry:

Soxman219
08-29-2010, 05:34 PM
Good news: Sox don't lose any ground today

Bad News: The Twins start a 9 game homestand while the Sox have a 10-game road trip.

NOT GOOD!

Lip Man 1
08-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Just releasing some emotion here, I ask that you indulge me.

Guess we should have expected some things today given the track record, maybe then we wouldn't be so upset.

It was Sunday...the Sox have been awful on Sunday especially since the All Star Break.

It was a no-name, unknown pitcher...we know how these things usually go.

The Sox held an opponent to three runs or less...this one, like the number of games lost when taking a lead into the 7th inning or later this year, just causes you to shake your head. Today was the 16th game this year, count em' 16, the Sox lost despite holding an opponent to three runs or less. Amazing.

And to pour salt in the wound it was another one run loss. The Sox had the best record in baseball at the All Star Break in one run games. They had 19 wins in this category. Since the All Star Break, they are almost dead last, 3-12.

Oh since the break it's another typical Sox swoon under Ozzie...21-22.

This season comes down to this and only this...win at least 12 of the remaining 32 games and at least get a winning season. The only consistent thing about this club is their frustratingly inconsistent play.

Lip

tdwiek
08-29-2010, 05:46 PM

I've been trying to defend Ozzie for a few years now on these lineup decisions, but now I will have to wholeheartedly agree with you.

It is indeed very illogical and I am frustrated by it as you are!!

Dan H
08-29-2010, 06:45 PM
We won back to back games this week, but before then when was the last time we won consecutive games?

I didn't even realize that they won two in a row. I just assumed they didn't. Before this last Thursday and Friday, I don't know when they won two in a row. All I know is that they are showing little indication of going on a hot streak. They are putting nothing together, as so many others here have observed.

soxfanatlanta
08-29-2010, 06:49 PM
A fine hole they are digging themselves into.

bunty_doghunter
08-29-2010, 06:56 PM
After today,

Twins 19 at home, 9 on the road
Sox 13 home 16 road

PLUS the matchup at home

SOXSINCE'70
08-29-2010, 06:57 PM
Gavin and the bullpen pitched very well
Offense is atrocious
Thames sucks
I hate Nick Swisher

That is all.

Agree. Especially with points 3 and 4.

LongLiveFisk
08-29-2010, 06:59 PM
I thought I heard on the postgame show today that the Sox are 1-48 when trailing after the 7th inning. Yikes.

Also, some guys are looking lazy out there at times. I know it wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome but why didn't AJ at least make an attempt to run to first after he struck out on that pitch that got away from the catcher? Fisk was onhand so maybe he should have given him a Deion Sanders type speech.

DickAllen72
08-29-2010, 07:17 PM
I know it wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome but why didn't AJ at least make an attempt to run to first after he struck out on that pitch that got away from the catcher?
First base was occupied, that's why.

Brian26
08-29-2010, 07:30 PM
The Yankees trotted out a very ordinary lineup over the weekend and still took 2 of 3 from us. Frankly, we look like an average ballclub that caught lightning in a bottle for an extended period; nothing more. Its a bitter realization to have to come to.

The Yankees lineup we saw this weekend is not intimidating at all. We should have swept the damn series. How often do you get to play them with A-Rod on the shelf and Teixeira out?

Brian26
08-29-2010, 07:34 PM

Correct. The rule make sense, since you'd be creating a possible force-out at 2nd base if batters were allowed to run to first.

Brian26
08-29-2010, 07:37 PM
I know Rivera is deadly against left-handed hitters. I know people are going to disagree with this, but I just hated the move of having Quentin lead off the inning as the pinch hitter for Teahen (as the tying run) when you have Beckham, Pierre and Vizquel coming up after him, with very little chance of any of them hitting a homer. Beckham's showed some pop lately, but you know Pierre and Vizquel were going to be slapping at the ball.

Ideally, I would have liked to see someone get on base before batting Quentin...but, I'm not the manager.

LongLiveFisk
08-29-2010, 07:43 PM

Correct. The rule make sense, since you'd be creating a possible force-out at 2nd base if batters were allowed to run to first.

Ok, my mistake. I kept thinking we had a baserunner on second. We probably should have a couple of times!

Brian26
08-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Ok, my mistake. I kept thinking we had a baserunner on second. We probably should have a couple of times!

We had a lot of runners at 2nd. Unfortunately only one of them crossed the plate. :tongue:

Lip Man 1
08-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Fisk:

The Sox have won 9 games this year where they trailed going into the 7th inning or later.

Lip

LongLiveFisk
08-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Fisk:

The Sox have won 9 games this year where they trailed going into the 7th inning or later.

Lip

Do you know how many times they have given up the lead past the 7th and lost?

happydude
08-29-2010, 07:53 PM
The Yankees lineup we saw this weekend is not intimidating at all. We should have swept the damn series. How often do you get to play them with A-Rod on the shelf and Teixeira out?

Not to mention the windfall of facing a less than stellar Sabathia on Saturday and rookie today. Then we get a lame pitching effort from our starter and pen and fail to capitalize on CC's failures followed by, inevitably, getting put away wet by the rookie and Rivera, et al. Jesus.

Lip Man 1
08-29-2010, 07:57 PM
Fisk:

The Sox have lost 13 games where they took a lead into the 7th inning or later...six have come since the All Star Break.

Lip

LongLiveFisk
08-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Fisk:

The Sox have lost 13 games where they took a lead into the 7th inning or later...six have come since the All Star Break.

Lip

Ouch. I knew that wasn't a good stat. Imagine where they could be right now. :(:

Lip Man 1
08-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Fisk:

Remember they've also lost 16 games where they held the opponent to three runs or less.

Lip

Domeshot17
08-29-2010, 08:14 PM
There was no energy on this team today. The lineup did not execute well, Ozzie made a lot of bad calls, it just felt like they waiting to lose. Not totally having quit, just expecting to lose. For a packed crowd, the team really sucked the energy out of it.

This team is so predictable. Was there any question Brent was running first pitch? Or that AJ couldn't throw out Louie Anderson trying to steal second base?

VMSNS
08-29-2010, 08:20 PM
For me, the game was pretty much over when Lillabeast was caught stealing 2nd. I'm also wondering why he decided to run on the first pitch.

JB98
08-29-2010, 08:35 PM
That clown the Yankees started at 3B in place of A-Rod butchered up two plays today, one in the sixth and one in the eighth. The Sox did not take advantage either time. I thought that was the difference in the game.

twentywontowin
08-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Wasn't it on Carlton Fisk Day when Bevington called for a reliever that wasn't warming up? If that's true, then today went a lot better.

The day when Fisk's number was retired, Bevington yelled to the pen for Foulke, who was not warming up. You are correct. I was at the game.

Anyone listen to Rongey after the game? Epic radio tonight.

Marqhead
08-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Anyone listen to Rongey after the game? Epic radio tonight.

Cliff notes?

twentywontowin
08-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Cliff notes?

"I was really disappointed with Mark Teahen today. He didn't seem like he wanted to run out that dropped third strike. The lack of hustle makes me really concerned why he hasn't been sent to the minors yet."

That wasn't verbatim, but was pretty much what the one caller said. I was dying laughing in the car. The bullpen is struggling and the offense is comatose, and he's worried about Teahen running out dropped strikes.

Marqhead
08-29-2010, 10:01 PM
"I was really disappointed with Mark Teahen today. He didn't seem like he wanted to run out that dropped third strike. The lack of hustle makes me really concerned why he hasn't been sent to the minors yet."

That wasn't verbatim, but was pretty much what the one caller said. I was dying laughing in the car. The bullpen is struggling and the offense is comatose, and he's worried about Teahen running out dropped strikes.

Ha, was that even Teahen? I thought it was Pierzynski.

I only catch the post game show every once in while because I don't like screaming at the radio.

hi im skot
08-29-2010, 10:03 PM

The caller is obviously confused, but still, Mark Teahen sucks and totally blew it with the bases loaded today.

LongLiveFisk
08-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Yeah, the postgame show was funny. One guy called in asking why Chris seemed to be hanging up on his callers all the time and Chris said he didn't think anyone wanted to listen to stupid questions or something like that.

Earlier a guy called in criticizing the offense and said in one situation Rios should have tried to squeeze the run home from third (not in this particular game). He was saying Ozzie doesn't do anything to manufacture runs and Chris got on him a little for it.

twentywontowin
08-29-2010, 10:04 PM

I only catch the post game show every once in while because I don't like screaming at the radio.

It was AJ, but the guy was insistent it was Teahen.

Rongey flat out said he was stupid. Made for great radio.

JB98
08-29-2010, 10:05 PM

It was Pierzynski. And first base was occupied. Thus, Pierzynski was out and running to first would have been a pointless exercise.

GoGoCrede
08-29-2010, 10:06 PM
Gavin is awesome. He, Frank and the fans deserved better.

Marqhead
08-29-2010, 10:07 PM
It was Pierzynski. And first base was occupied. Thus, Pierzynski was out and running to first would have been a pointless exercise.

Right, but the point stands that 90% of radio call ins are from morons.

Brian26
08-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Right, but the point stands that 90% of radio call ins are from morons.

I understand the producers at the Score have been instructed on many of the shows to take the worst callers so the hosts can beat up on them. I know this happens on Boers and Bernstein.

Marqhead
08-29-2010, 10:17 PM
I understand the producers at the Score have been instructed on many of the shows to take the worst callers so the hosts can beat up on them. I know this happens on Boers and Bernstein.

Doesn't surprise me. What's funny is I've started listening to the Score a lot more the last three months and I find them often being outsmarted by callers, but of course yelling and belittling until the caller backs down or they hang up on them.

Than again it's easy for the radio host to look smart when beating up on morons.

VenturaFan23
08-30-2010, 06:21 AM
So, after this series do we officially put Marcus Thames on the all-time Sox killer list? Seriously, he's so Punto-esque against us! :angry:

hawkjt
08-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Sox ran into a guy with great stuff yesterday. I saw him pitch his last game,and he had a very good outing that game also.

Fans tend to think these are bums beating the Sox,but no, they are talented pitchers on a hot streak,like the O's Guthrie who had another 8 inning no run outing vs the Angels yesterday. Matusz shut down someone in his outing between shutting down the Sox. Bad luck for the Sox to run into hot pitchers,period. Too bad we could not have had the Yanks leave Javy in the rotation..he is a cold pitcher right now.

Sox lose, Twins lose, Manny coming to the Sox...another day in a pennant race. Roll with it.

doublem23
08-30-2010, 09:39 AM

bla bla bla it keeps happening over and over and over again

doublem23
08-30-2010, 09:43 AM

Jones took 2B on the wild pitch, but I don't think AJ is allowed to take 1st, anyway.

doublem23
08-30-2010, 09:46 AM
It was AJ, but the guy was insistent it was Teahen.

Rongey flat out said he was stupid. Made for great radio.

I would bet the caller was referring to Teahen's strike out to lead off the 3rd. He didn't exactly look enthused to have to run down the line when Nova bounced the pitch into Cervelli.

Hitmen77
08-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Just releasing some emotion here, I ask that you indulge me.

Guess we should have expected some things today given the track record, maybe then we wouldn't be so upset.

It was Sunday...the Sox have been awful on Sunday especially since the All Star Break.

It was a no-name, unknown pitcher...we know how these things usually go.

The Sox held an opponent to three runs or less...this one, like the number of games lost when taking a lead into the 7th inning or later this year, just causes you to shake your head. Today was the 16th game this year, count em' 16, the Sox lost despite holding an opponent to three runs or less. Amazing.

Well said. But, some people still cling to the idea that offense hasn't been a problem for us this year.

If you just ignore all the rally killing double plays and ground out to 2nds from the big hole in our lineup this year, then I guess it's not a problem. We'd still be 4.5 back regardless.
:noevil:

And to pour salt in the wound it was another one run loss. The Sox had the best record in baseball at the All Star Break in one run games. They had 19 wins in this category. Since the All Star Break, they are almost dead last, 3-12.

Oh since the break it's another typical Sox swoon under Ozzie...21-22.

This season comes down to this and only this...win at least 12 of the remaining 32 games and at least get a winning season. The only consistent thing about this club is their frustratingly inconsistent play.

Lip

This is typical for the Sox even going back before Ozzie joined us in 2004. So, I won't lay this just on Ozzie. But it is disappointing to see a "2nd half fade" become somewhat of a tradition for the White Sox.