PDA

View Full Version : Questions

pudge
06-26-2002, 11:14 PM
I couldn't watch on satellite because of the ESPN Wednesday blackout rule (b@stards) - so can anyone tell me:

1) Did Lofton have a chance to score? Doesn't it have to be a perfect throw, and don't you have to take that risk with two outs?

2) What was all the trash talking about? ESPN said the Twins were harrassing Ordonez in his final at bat.

Jjav829
06-26-2002, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by pudge
I couldn't watch on satellite because of the ESPN Wednesday blackout rule (b@stards) - so can anyone tell me:

1) Did Lofton have a chance to score? Doesn't it have to be a perfect throw, and don't you have to take that risk with two outs?

2) What was all the trash talking about? ESPN said the Twins were harrassing Ordonez in his final at bat.

Lofton would not have scored. The throw was up the line and he was easily out.

I barely payed attention to Maggs AB except for watching the pitch because I was too nervous, so I can't answer your 2nd question. If they were, then someone better get a pitch in the ear tommorrow.

balboner
06-26-2002, 11:19 PM
Their catcher was definitely saying some stuff to Mags after he hit the ball. It has seemed as if the Twins have been punks the first few games, including Hunter trying to act all tough today. However, give them credit, at least they care enough to get it into it.

RKMeibalane
06-26-2002, 11:25 PM
That's true. The Sox have not, as Hawk talked about on Sunday, had any sort of defining moment that has served as a symbol of what their team stands for. Last season, one defining moment was Carlos' grand slam to beat the Cubs. Another was Jose Valentin's mokery of Sosa's stupid homerun trot and Rickey Gutierrez's basket-shot.

In 2000, the huge brawl against Detroit was a key for the Sox, as was the standing ovation the fans gave Frank Thomas before the home-opener against Anaheim. Thomas homered in his first at bat.

This year's team needs to do something to get going. Perhaps a knock-down pitch aimed at AJ Pierzenky's chin would light some fire under this team. I'm serious. If he thinks he can get away with taunting a man who has accomplished more in the past three years than he ever will, then AJ deserves to get knocked on his ass.

Jerry_Manuel
06-26-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by pudge

After Magglio swung and popped it up the Twins catcher stood up and looked like he said "FU" or something like that.

cheeses_h_rice
06-26-2002, 11:33 PM
I'm really learning to hate the Twins as much as I did the Indians. Torii Hunter's bad-ass, hold-me-back thing tonight when Howry drilled him (yeah, that was intentional, when we're down by 2 runs in the 7th); Pierszynski's trashtalking of Maggs; that stupid column that ma-gaga posted earlier.

The Twins are NOT THAT GOOD. They're just lucky that the Sox, Indians, Tigers and Royals suck so royally this year. We should be OWNING this division, but of course we aren't.

RKMeibalane
06-26-2002, 11:41 PM
The one thing that leaves me feeling optimistic about the second half of this season is that the Twins had a better team last year, and they still choked in the second half. I'm hoping the same thing happens this season. Of course, the Sox probably wouldn't make the most of the opportunity. Blarg!

Chisox353014
06-26-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I'm really learning to hate the Twins as much as I did the Indians. Torii Hunter's bad-ass, hold-me-back thing tonight when Howry drilled him (yeah, that was intentional, when we're down by 2 runs in the 7th); Pierszynski's trashtalking of Maggs; that stupid column that ma-gaga posted earlier.

The Twins are NOT THAT GOOD. They're just lucky that the Sox, Indians, Tigers and Royals suck so royally this year. We should be OWNING this division, but of course we aren't.

I agree. Up until the last 3 days, I still disliked the Indians more than the Twins. That has officially changed now. The Indians were annoying, but they rarely talked the kind of smack that the Twins suddenly have started up with. I say put one between Pier****ski's shoulder blades tomorrow. See if he can do any talking then.

Mathew
06-26-2002, 11:50 PM
Well the posters are fired up, let's see if the Sox can be!

duke of dorwood
06-26-2002, 11:57 PM
The Twins are closing on the Cubs in my hate league. They are a team that has won nothing. At least the Toons have some recent accomplishments to fall back on.

Jerry_Manuel
06-26-2002, 11:59 PM
I think we're starting to hate the Twins more because we have trouble beating them.

duke of dorwood
06-27-2002, 12:11 AM
Yeah, but win with style and class.

MisterB
06-27-2002, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
I think we're starting to hate the Twins more because we have trouble beating them.

Personally, I hate them because they're sporting way more attitude than a team that's accomplished nothing but finish in 2nd place for the first time in 10 years has a right to. They're not the defending World Series, American League, Central Division, Wild Card, Pony League or Tiddly-Winks Champions. They haven't done a damn thing but beat us 14 out of 19 times last season. Even with all that they only finished 2 games better than we did. If lighting up their pitching staff yesterday didn't reduce their swelled heads, maybe the Sox need to pummel some humility into their skulls with their bare hands. :angry:

http://www.eaglestalent.com/talent/buffer.jpg

GASHWOUND
06-27-2002, 12:58 AM

Damn right, its getting ridicules now and i'm frustrated as hell..They took 14 of 19 last year, and now have taken 2 of the 3 games in a HUGE series for us where even taking 3 of 4 wouldn't have been good enough and even the game we won they still hit our ace Buehrle pretty good.Thank goodness we scored 15 runs instead of our usual 3 or 4 runs.
And when a team has success against somebody like that, they get cocky as hell.
The Twins just have our number and its definitely a mental thing with us.
We need to kick some ass, like literally kick there asses where at the end they all have black eyes, and Foulke comes out of it with cut under his eye. :smile:

Nellie_Fox
06-27-2002, 02:21 AM
Lofton would most likely have gotten thrown out. The ball was sharply hit, and Jones got to it quickly. I was glad that "wavin' Wally" didn't send him at the time. I would have hated to see the game end with Lofton thrown out by a bunch at the plate and Maggs in the on-deck circle.

As far as talking smack, remember that our boys were pretty cocky early in the year, saying the Twins just aren't that good, no way they're good enough to beat us as often as they did last year.

Then, this series, when the Sox were ahead in game 1, there were reports that a lot of Sox players were up on the dugout steps yelling over at the Twins dugout "here we come, you can't hide from us any more" and stuff like that. It was reported in the papers up here.

Go ahead and work up a good hatred for the Twinks. Hell, a good rivalry in the division would be a good thing. Remember the old Blackhawks/Northstars rivalry? There wasn't a better one in the NHL. Theyhad a brawl break out in the pre-game warmup skate that was the inspiration for the brawl in the movie "Slapshot." However, right now, I fully expect the Sox to lose tonight, and leave town 8 games out. That's a long climb back, my friends and fellow Sox fans. I'll still be wearing my Sox paraphernalia to the dome on July 30th, but I'm fearful that the series may be nearly meaningless by that point.

bc2k
06-27-2002, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Did you hear what Ed Farmer said about Torii Hunter after he started running his mouth? Farmer said something like, "Next time Howry will hit you hard enough to knock one of the i's of your first name." That is hilarious. And same for Rooney who piped up and said something like, "Charge the mound Torii, you think you have a chance against big Bob Howry?" Farmer and Rooney are announcers, Hawk and B.J. are not.

Oh and if Pierzynski did what JerryManuel said he did, then he better get a fastball to the kneecap. Lets hope Glover is no Estes.

delben91
06-27-2002, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Blarg!

I'm sorry, this doesn't really relate to the thread, but I had to ask.

RK...Blarg! = Bla! + arg! ?

PaleHoseGeorge
06-27-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Did you hear what Ed Farmer said about Torii Hunter after he started running his mouth? Farmer said something like, "Next time Howry will hit you hard enough to knock one of the i's of your first name." That is hilarious. And same for Rooney who piped up and said something like, "Charge the mound Torii, you think you have a chance against big Bob Howry?" Farmer and Rooney are announcers, Hawk and B.J. are not. ...

Farmer has been busting chops on the Twins this entire series. It's really funny, because I've never known him to go after a bunch of players on the same team like this. His usual M.O. is to suck up to the other players, even Shammy and the Flubs.

He was making fun of Lohse's oversized cap last night. He can't say more than two sentences about Torii Hunter without getting in a snide comment about his misadjusted cap, the spelling of his name, or his big mouth. He went on for days about the "Brillo pad" attached to Christian Guzman's chin.

This is some pretty petty stuff coming from a guy who never wears socks.

:gulp:

mrwag
06-27-2002, 10:14 AM
I predict a brawl in the early half of the game today. I think a combination of everything is going to erupt. Atleast I hope so. It's time this team pulls together. A good old fashioned brawl will gell this team. The "kids" are men now, lets see them play that way.

Jerry_Manuel
06-27-2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by mrwag
I predict a brawl in the early half of the game today. I think a combination of everything is going to erupt. Atleast I hope so. It's time this team pulls together. A good old fashioned brawl will gell this team. The "kids" are men now, lets see them play that way.

The Twins were hinting that they might drill a Sox player today. However, if a brawl were to occur, I think the Twins would have to start it. I don't see anyone on the Sox pulling a Dean Palmer and charging the mound.

Which begs the question, which Sox player in your opinion would charge the mound? I think Konerko has the emotion and fire to do so, but it would take him a day and a half to get to the mound.

hold2dibber
06-27-2002, 10:24 AM

The Twins were hinting that they might drill a Sox player today. However, if a brawl were to occur, I think the Twins would have to start it. I don't see anyone on the Sox pulling a Dean Palmer and charging the mound.

Which begs the question, which Sox player in your opinion would charge the mound? I think Konerko has the emotion and fire to do so, but it would take him a day and a half to get to the mound.

LMAO! By the time PK got to the pitcher, the Twins entire bench would be out there waiting for him!

The guys I think would be most likely to charge the mound if they thought they had been intentionally hit are Valentin, Rowand and Lofton. I don't think any of those guys would hesitate to put a whooping on somebody. If a brawl does break out, somebody please tell Buehrle to punch with his right hand only (same goes for Ritchie ). Maybe the Sox should bring Parque up today just to plunk somebody and take part in the brawl, then send him back to Charlotte immediately.

ma-gaga
06-27-2002, 10:37 AM
IMHO, If Lofton bats leadoff, he'll get drilled. First pitch.

Should be a wild one today. Remember it's a NOON game today!!! FYI.

Nellie_Fox
06-28-2002, 04:06 AM
Which begs the question, which Sox player in your opinion would charge the mound? Which brings out Nellie the professor.

"Begs the question" means "avoids the issue," not "the question begs to be asked." I hate when this is misused.

Jerry_Manuel
06-28-2002, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Which brings out Nellie the professor.

"Begs the question" means "avoids the issue," not "the question begs to be asked." I hate when this is misused.

As you could tell, I didn't know that. Thanks!