PDA

View Full Version : Who is the Ace?

SCCWS
08-29-2010, 10:26 AM
White Sox are 1-5 in Dank's last 6 starts and his era has jumped by .40 during the stretch. Floyd's era has done about the same. Buehrle has been better lately. I think at this point Jackson may be the" ace" of the staff.

oeo
08-29-2010, 10:34 AM
White Sox are 1-5 in Dank's last 6 starts and his era has jumped by .40 during the stretch. Floyd's era has done about the same. Buehrle has been better lately. I think at this point Jackson may be the" ace" of the staff.

Jackson is obviously pitching the best right now (though the opponents Jackson has been up against haven't exactly been great lineups), but it's still Danks if you ask me. He's been the closest thing to consistent that we've had the entire year, even with a couple of stinkers lately. The record in his starts isn't a good indicator either, as he should have won at least 3 of those games. He also kept us in that Minnesota game after a rough start, and even ate up 7 innings (he had like 50 pitches after 2).

Danks has a problem early in games. If he can ever get over that, he will go the next level. I think he bounces back next time out.

slavko
08-29-2010, 10:52 AM

Thinking the same last night. How could you not help it?

konerko 14
08-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Either Jackson or Buehrle right now.

TDog
08-29-2010, 11:44 AM
When you have the sort of starting rotation the White Sox have, naming an ace is irrelevant because anyone can pitch like an ace at any given time. Right now, Jackson is pitching the best baseball among the starters followed by Buehrle. Early in the season, when people were whining about the lack of offense, it was the starting pitching that was letting the team down, and Garcia was the most reliable. When the Sox got hot, it was mostly because Peavy, Danks and Floyd were pitching great.

If Peavy were healthy (the White Sox probably wouldn't have Jackson, but ignoring that likelihood), you would have five starters who could be the ace of your staff at any given time.

Pitchers naturally go through dead-arm periods through the course of a season. Leg strength is often overlooked, but pichers can lose it and their velocity and/or command with it at points of the season. August is often a hitter's month, not only because of the weather, which tends to favor hitters, but because pitchers are wearing down. Often pitchers work through it. September and October tend to favor pitchers.

If you have a team with only one star pitcher, you have a clearly defined ace who would sometimes get beaten up by an opposing offense and fans have to wait through the rotation for their ace to pitch again. If you have the White Sox rotation, you shouldn't have to depend on just one guy to pitch great games.

AlexRios51
08-29-2010, 12:08 PM
It's obviously my guy Edwin Jackson.

DickAllen72
08-29-2010, 12:12 PM
Carlos Torres?

Sox don't have a bona-fide ace, but so far the "ace" of this staff for the past month would have to be Jackson.

Buehrle, Floyd and Danks are solid number threes, and Garcia is a damn good five and maybe even a four.

LITTLE NELL
08-29-2010, 01:53 PM
If I had to pick one guy to pitch a playoff game like the black out game, right now I have to go with Buerhle. If MB could not pitch I'd go with Floyd or Jackson.

JermaineDye05
08-29-2010, 02:14 PM
I'd say our ace is on the DL.

For the moment, Jackson is acting as our ace.

I'd like to think that Jake will still be our ace next season but nobody knows how he'll recover from that injury both physically and mentally. We can only hope and pray.

SCCWS
08-29-2010, 04:25 PM
I'd say our ace is on the DL.

For the moment, Jackson is acting as our ace.

I'd like to think that Jake will still be our ace next season but nobody knows how he'll recover from that injury both physically and mentally. We can only hope and pray.

If they make the World Series, someone starts Game 1 and most likely game 7 if needed. Every team making the playoffs has to pick their ace or number 1 starter.

delben91
08-29-2010, 07:11 PM
Chris Sale.

(halfteal)

SCCWS
08-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Chris Sale.

(halfteal)

Hopefully he is shut-down by then. Strasburg's situation should warn the WS to keep a close eye on Sale.

delben91
08-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Hopefully he is shut-down by then. Strasburg's situation should warn the WS to keep a close eye on Sale.

In fairness, the Nationals were obsessive about keeping an eye on Strasburg and look what good that did.

nccwsfan
08-29-2010, 08:45 PM
Mark Buehrle

Daver
08-29-2010, 09:13 PM

You're kidding, right?

Stephen Jaworski
08-30-2010, 08:18 AM
Tony Pena. He'll go 6-0 if given the opportunity to start 6 games in September.