PDA

View Full Version : Anti-blunder thread- Sox greatest moments

kufram
08-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Of any decade you like.

For me, it was El Duque shutting down the Red Sox with the bases loaded and no outs in 2005 playoffs. Who knows what happens if he doesn't? Of course there were many more that year. AJ taking first against the Angels possibly the most important. What were your personal favourites?

Also, favourite achievements of previous decades.

getonbckthr
08-29-2010, 08:56 AM
-Trading Mike Cameron for Paul Konerko
-White Flag of 1997. We weren't winning the division yet it set ground work for 2000.
-Trading Carlos Lee to the Brewers for Pods and Viscaino. I love El Caballo but we don't win a title with him.

DSpivack
08-29-2010, 08:59 AM
Well, the whole day of October 26, 2005. From "Geoff Blum!" [that might've been before midnight] to Buehrle's save to Juan Uribe's amazing few plays to John Rooney's "Out, out and the White Sox have won the World Series!"

Besides 2005, Opening Night 2000 was fun, going to one of the playoff games in 1993 got me on the road to becoming a Sox fan [I was a Cub fan by birth]. The Frank Thomas game in 2006, with Mackowiak's ph HR and Ozuna's squeeze to win it was an exciting game..

kevingrt
08-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Couple quick thoughts...

-Opening Night 2006 tornado warnings and all
-JOE CREDE vs Cleveland in what was a huge game in Sept 2005
-This one will be met with blank stares but Swish's walkoff versus Oakland in extras in 2008. Ridiculous game.
-Blackout 2008.
-Division clincher in 1993 that was fun.
-Burly's perfecto
-And obviously the Geoff Blum trade in 2005

TommyJohn
08-29-2010, 09:31 AM
My goodness-where to start? I'd have to say the final out of the 2005 World Series, and nothing comes close. It not only brought the first World Series title in 88 years (something I was convinced I'd never see in my lifetime) but it silenced all the doubters and haters who were literally rooting for them to collapse in September. Also, it capped a wire-to-wire season and 11-1 playoff run. There really hasn't been any Sox season quite like it.

The clinching games that ended long droughts would have to rank up there, too-September 22, 1959 and September 17, 1983. The Winning Ugly team may have lost to Baltimore, but it sent a message that the White Sox were capable of finishing in first place, it was just a matter of building a great team.

The seven game sweep of Cleveland and New York on the road in 2000. That had never been accomplished before by any team. The entire run of the 2000 team belongs on a greatest moments list.

If we are going with management, I would say Kenny Williams trading Carlos Lee for Scott Podsednik. That trade was the lynchpin for the 2005 season.

Charlie Comiskey hiring Frank Lane to be General Manager in 1949. Lane in turn hiring Paul Richards to manage. Making the trades for Billy Pierce and Nellie Fox, two of the best trades the team ever made.

LITTLE NELL
08-29-2010, 09:43 AM
October 26, 2005
Sept. 22, 1959

Lip Man 1
08-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Geton:

The White Flag set the tone for 2000? Really...interesting.

I didn't know relief pitchers were that special because the only guys on the 2000 club who came in that deal were Foulke and Howry as Dan said in the other thread the negative publicity locally and nationally destroyed the team, made them a laughing stock and devestated attendance (which had members of the organization and the media complaining about in 2000) They never made the connection. Which also was very strange since it was easy to see why)

Lip

kufram
08-29-2010, 11:54 AM
When I read Carlos Lee for some guy named Podsednik I was disappointed. I was more than wrong as Scott plays the game the way it should be played. I loved it when he came back last year and played for his life. I come to respect Juan Pierre after doubts but Pods was a great leadoff for us. There are not many true leadoffs around these days but if you've got one you're often ahead 1-0 after 1.

I also remember a game in the middle of 05... can't remember who we were playing but it was a pitcher's duel 0-0 with Buehrle on the mound. After about 6 innings we scored in a familiar way... Pods got on, stole second, Iguchi moved him to third, and PK singled him in. Garland walked down the dugout to Buehrle and on camera you could see him say "there's your run" and Buehrle just nodded. We won 1-0 and I think it was a complete game. Funny what you remember.

TommyJohn
08-29-2010, 12:51 PM
I also remember a game in the middle of 05... can't remember who we were playing but it was a pitcher's duel 0-0 with Buehrle on the mound. After about 6 innings we scored in a familiar way... Pods got on, stole second, Iguchi moved him to third, and PK singled him in. Garland walked down the dugout to Buehrle and on camera you could see him say "there's your run" and Buehrle just nodded. We won 1-0 and I think it was a complete game. Funny what you remember.Or maybe you're just recycling a story that Billy Pierce told about Nellie Fox once telling him "there's your run" in a 1-0 game.

BigHurt3515
08-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Besides the obvious (world series, buehrle's perfecto) im going to go with a game i actually attended
April, 6 2005.. 2nd game of the season. Down 3-0 in the bottom of the 9th, I told my dad we arn't leaving yet.
Everett singles, Paulie and Dye go back to back (I called Paulie's homer), Rowand doubles, Willie Harris bunted and reached. Then Uribe with the walk off sacrifice fly. It was crazy. So glad I didnt leave

Gavin
08-29-2010, 03:41 PM
AJ Walkoff in turn back the clock night in late June, 2005, vs. the Dodgers. First time my dad said to me "I don't know, this might be the year".

Hitmen77
08-29-2010, 04:33 PM
In keeping with the other thread's theme of focusing on off-the-field decisions, I'll say these are some great White Sox moves:

- Ballpark Renovations: The decision in 2003 to sell the naming rights of the ballpark and to use the $68 million to fund ballpark renovations has turned out to be a great move. Honestly, the renovations have turned out better than I imagined they would.

- Not moving to Addison or St. Petersburg. I know it wasn't really Jerry and Eddie's decision to not build in Addison, but it's a good thing for them and the franchise that this fell through. As far as the move to Florida, obviously this would have been the end of the Chicago White Sox, but I can't imagine thing would have turned out very well for JR and EE playing at Tropicana Field.

- Hiring 22-year-old Nancy Faust to be the team's new organist in 1970.

- Hiring Harry Caray in 1971. Before he left to become a cartoon for the Cubs, he helped bring interest back to the White Sox.

tebman
08-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Couple quick thoughts...

-Opening Night 2006 tornado warnings and all
-JOE CREDE vs Cleveland in what was a huge game in Sept 2005
-This one will be met with blank stares but Swish's walkoff versus Oakland in extras in 2008. Ridiculous game.
-Blackout 2008.
-Division clincher in 1993 that was fun.
-Burly's perfecto
-And obviously the Geoff Blum trade in 2005

Wow -- I was at those three games I highlighted. The Swisher walkoff in extras was surreal. My oldest son and I were at that game and though it went into extra innings, I resolved to stick it out. Then Swisher, of all people, ends it with a walkoff. More bizarre than gleeful.

My other son and I were at Buehrle's perfecto by dumb luck. It was the odd 13th game in my Ozzie Plan ticket package and I almost didn't go because it was a weekday afternoon. Another surreal experience.

And the opener in 2006 found us way up in Section 506 in the right-field corner. The storms came with a vengeance and we huddled shoulder-to-shoulder with everybody in the upper deck concourse for upwards of an hour. Sox won, though. A moist but splendid time was had by all. :tongue:

Railsplitter
08-30-2010, 10:23 AM
The Old Roman helping to estblish the American League and taking on the National League in one of it's strongholds. He even picked up a nickname dicarded by that National League team.

kba
08-30-2010, 10:35 AM
- Acquiring Dick Allen for Tommy John before the 1972 season. Probably saved the franchise for Chicago.

- Mayor Daley and the seemingly the whole city coming together to help Veeck raise the money he needed to buy the team before the 1976 season. Probably saved the franchise for Chicago.

- The Illinois legislature stopping the clock and approving the funding for the new ballpark in 1988. Probably saved the franchise for Chicago.

doublem23
08-30-2010, 10:39 AM
Schueler not betting the farm in 2000... Many of the top young guys in the Sox system at the time either became key pieces for the Sox's 2005 team (Crede, Rowand, etc.) or were used later to acquire key pieces for that team. Bout time some folks around here give him his due for holding back.