PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-28 Danks, pen can't stop Yankee offense postgame blahs therapy thread

Frater Perdurabo
08-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Disgust

konerko 14
08-28-2010, 10:42 PM
Who the hell cares about getting Manny, The Sox need pitching not offense :angry::angry::angry::angry:

WhiteSox5187
08-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Disgust

I'm upset at the performance by Danks who I think is running out of gas but I can't be mad at this team. They battled and brought the tying run to the plate which is not something I would have expected from this team when it was down by five runs early against CC.

The problem with this team as it has been for some while is the bullpen. Manny would certainly help the offense, but the real problem is the pen and Kenny needs to address that.

Tragg
08-28-2010, 10:45 PM
Tony Pena is an awful relief pitcher.

konerko 14
08-28-2010, 10:46 PM

So is the rest of our pen right now

GoGoCrede
08-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Not pretty. However, scoring that many runs off CC is pretty cool. I'm hoping the offense we've seen over the past two games will hold over to tomorrow. We have to win for Frank.

bunty_doghunter
08-28-2010, 10:51 PM
This must be one of those 'moral victories'.

soxlady8
08-28-2010, 10:52 PM
18 runs against the Yanks is surely a good thing.
However, Twinkies win and we can't pull it off :(
I hope the team can win tomorrow and make Big Frank day really great !

doublem23
08-28-2010, 10:54 PM

Or likely, a game that you're just going to lose. You know even the very best teams history lose 3 out of every 10.

Patrick134
08-28-2010, 10:57 PM
When the sox clawed back to make it 6-5 , and then Danks walked the leadoff hitter, that was ballgame.

BringHomeDaBacon
08-28-2010, 11:04 PM
Castro and Jones getting it done - even against Rivera. I'm not looking forward to watching AJ and Kotsay tomorrow.

BainesHOF
08-28-2010, 11:04 PM
Danks made a lot of horrible pitches. Between this start and the bad one against Minnesota, Danks is the last pitcher I want to see on the mound in a big game these days. He makes way too many bad pitches and his stuff doesn't allow him to get away with them.

Hitmen77
08-28-2010, 11:07 PM
If your starting pitcher gives up 8 runs in 4 1/3, you're chances of winning are very slim. As bad as the pen has been, tonight's game was lost by Danks.

It's not only the number of runs that our offense needs to make up for, but the starting pitcher not making it out of the 5th inning means we have to tax our bullpen even more. That's how those guys get worn out and/or injured.

Oh well, if we take 2 of 3 tomorrow from the Yanks that should be a good thing. Unfortunately, time is running out and the Twins are playing a really bad team.

JB98
08-28-2010, 11:11 PM
If your starting pitcher gives up 8 runs in 4 1/3, you're chances of winning are very slim. As bad as the pen has been, tonight's game was lost by Danks.

It's not only the number of runs that our offense needs to make up for, but the starting pitcher not making it out of the 5th inning means we have to tax our bullpen even more. That's how those guys get worn out and/or injured.

Oh well, if we take 2 of 3 tomorrow from the Yanks that should be a good thing. Unfortunately, time is running out and the Twins are playing a really bad team.

That's all that needs to be said tonight.

Need to get one tomorrow.

chisoxfanatic
08-28-2010, 11:25 PM
Danks truly had a major hiccup tonight, and there were WAY too many walks. Ugh! Go get 'em tomorrow, Gavin!

Nelfox02
08-28-2010, 11:28 PM
yeah, this was just one of those games you are going to lose, echoing earlier posts that it was nice to see them score some runs and battle......but the problem is that the sox have put themselves in a spot where we cant afford to have a lot of losses if they want to make the post season.......

If we can grab a W tomorrow and Seattle somehow someway gets a win, I can live with losing no ground on a weekend where we got the yankees and the twins got the mariners......

in the end we need to find a way to go into the final Twins series here in mid sept 3 or less out.....they do that and those games stil have some real meaning, 4 or more out? not so much......

try to keep the fading hopes flickering guys, grab a W tomorrow for yourselves, for the fans, and for the big hurt!

Nelfox02
08-28-2010, 11:31 PM
what is with Danks in regard to the fact that he has such a hard time putting guys away when ahead in the count? it seems like even during his "good" starts, you look up and he is cresting 90 plus pitches in the 6th.

is it a stuff issue? confidence? both?

1st at bat of the game set the tone for his night, works Jeter to 0-2 and then eventually walks him......scores on the 2 run shot by Swisher.......

FielderJones
08-28-2010, 11:39 PM
1st at bat of the game set the tone for his night, works Jeter to 0-2 and then eventually walks him......scores on the 2 run shot by Swisher.......

I don't get why a hit on a 1-2 count is better than a hit on an 0-2 count. The batter is completely defensive at 0-2. Go after him and try to put him away on three pitches.

mcsoxfan
08-28-2010, 11:40 PM
Where are all the Tony Pena lovers tonight?
Once again the bobblehead manager put this clown in a close game and his run differential is the difference between winning and losing. Allows 2 inherent runners to score after two out then gives up two of his own for added measure. This guy is an insult to middle relief.

Nelfox02
08-28-2010, 11:44 PM
I don't get why a hit on a 1-2 count is better than a hit on an 0-2 count. The batter is completely defensive at 0-2. Go after him and try to put him away on three pitches.

I agree here, I mean you dont want to throw a **** pitch to a major league hitter at any count, but it seems like Danks start to fish with pitches well out of the zone more often than not when he has a guy down......not sure if this stat is even possible to get, but I would be curious the number of batters that Danks works to 0-2 or 1-2 that eventually got to full counts....bonus question would be the number that reach base..........and compare that to the major league average for starters....

StillMissOzzie
08-28-2010, 11:52 PM
Once again the bobblehead manager put this clown in a close game and his run differential is the difference between winning and losing. Allows 2 inherent runners to score after two out then gives up two of his own for added measure. This guy is an insult to middle relief.

Tony Pena is a Dr Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde, comparing his emergency start in KC to tonight's craptacular performance.

I agree with the earlier poster re: Man-Ram and KW. Apparently KW thinks that they can win more games 10-9 than they can 3-2 by pummelling the opposition with more offense. I think the offense has been more than adequate lately, but not with this tattered and battered bullpen.

Still, of the three game series vs. the Yanks, tonight's game was the one I was least confident. The Sox have historically been lackluster against Capt. Cheeseburger, and even though they touched him up more than usual, when they had him on the ropes they could not put him away, he got his 2nd wind, and got tougher the last 3 innings. I was hoping for a Kerry Wood siting but no luck, at least not yet.
Let's take tomorrow's game and the series!

SMO
:gulp:

Carneyman14
08-28-2010, 11:53 PM
For Frank!!!

thomas35forever
08-28-2010, 11:55 PM
Tonight's game was on Danks. The offense did more than enough and we still lost. He's gotta finish off innings or he can't be trusted in games like tonight's.

SBSoxFan
08-29-2010, 12:03 AM
He is! They should think about making him a starter for next season.

The Sox have had several of these were they fall a little short. I sure wish they'd pull on out for a change!

AlexRios51
08-29-2010, 12:10 AM
Although we lost, I am glad to see we do have offense. I would have love to have seen Harrell come in a bit earlier in the game though.

AlexRios51
08-29-2010, 12:11 AM
Tonight's game was on Danks. The offense did more than enough and we still lost. He's gotta finish off innings or he can't be trusted in games like tonight's.
Danks has actually been good in big games, he just had a bad game which he doesn't do that often.

thomas35forever
08-29-2010, 12:15 AM
Danks has actually been good in big games, he just had a bad game which he doesn't do that often.
The wrong guys in the Yankees lineup were hitting home runs off him though.

captain54
08-29-2010, 12:18 AM

I would love to know how many games Pena has entered a game in middle or long relief and gave up an immediate handful of runs that ended up being the differential when all was said and done. Including tonight I can think of three off the top of my head.

AlexRios51
08-29-2010, 12:21 AM
The wrong guys in the Yankees lineup were hitting home runs off him though.
Both Thames and Swisher have HR power, I understand your feelings on the Nunez HR though.

VMSNS
08-29-2010, 12:23 AM

...and all of this because the Sox couldn't come to a deal with Carrasco because of "a few hundred thousand dollars". I'd still probably contend that not signing Carrasco was probably one of Kenny's worst moves this offseason, but that's a whole different topic all together. Regarding Pena, I think the guy can either be really good, or really bad. The problem with him seems to be that he's being used out of position. In an ideal situation, Pena is a 7th inning guy, or maybe an 8th inning guy. Yet, he's being used as a long reliever.

9 runs should have been enough to beat the Yanks tonight, especially with 5 coming off of CC. The pitching just hasn't been there, as of late (or it's been incredibly streaky). It would have been nice to get our hand in on a claim for a reliever, instead of promoting some middling AAA prospects.

Whatever. Just win tomorrow....and pray that the Twins and Dodgers start losing.

guillensdisciple
08-29-2010, 03:19 AM
I don't think Danks or Gavin will ever hit their stride as top of the line pitchers. They seem destined to be middle of the order high end prospects.

I don't know where these this offense has doomed us guys are, but this offense is scorching hot and this pitching has been the reason why we are so far back. I will repeat myself since people still believe Kotsay is the blame.

Nellie_Fox
08-29-2010, 03:27 AM
I don't know where these this offense has doomed us guys are, but this offense is scorching hot and this pitching has been the reason why we are so far back. I will repeat myself since people still believe Kotsay is the blame.It is a tradition among some WSI posters to pick a scapegoat every season to blame for all White Sox woes. This year it's Kotsay.

LITTLE NELL
08-29-2010, 07:28 AM
16 hits and we lose, ugh.
Turning point was the Posada double in the 5th after we came back to make it 6-5. If we get him out I think we go on to win the ballgame.
All these injuries to the bullpen are killing us but it doesn't help when your starter is throwing batting practice.

Dan H
08-29-2010, 08:10 AM
I don't think Danks or Gavin will ever hit their stride as top of the line pitchers. They seem destined to be middle of the order high end prospects.

I don't know where these this offense has doomed us guys are, but this offense is scorching hot and this pitching has been the reason why we are so far back. I will repeat myself since people still believe Kotsay is the blame.

You might be right. Their combined record is 21-19 at the moment. They have their great games and then there is a game like this. Frustrating.

Frater Perdurabo
08-29-2010, 08:12 AM
It is a tradition among some WSI posters to pick a scapegoat every season to blame for all White Sox woes. This year it's Kotsay.

It is not Kotsay's fault he can't hit like Thome.

It is likely the Sox would have won several more games in April and May if they had had Thome DH v RHP instead of Kotsay.

hawkjt
08-29-2010, 08:34 AM
No way to miss the fact that Johnny looks like he has hit a wall his last few starts. I thought he looked strong coming out,but then the two out 2 run homer..then again, and again.

The park was playing tiny last nite,unlike on Friday nite...not good vs the Yankees. Same will be true today, so the Sox better eat their wheaties for breakfast. Gavin has to shut them down, and hope the Sox can handle the heat from Nova.

C'mon, M's, show some pride. Beat the Twins today.

SI1020
08-29-2010, 09:08 AM
It is a tradition among some WSI posters to pick a scapegoat every season to blame for all White Sox woes. This year it's Kotsay. While I certainly don't blame Kotsay for all the woes of this team I perfectly understand the anger. Ozzie the genius talent evaluator picks one or two players every year and puts them in situations that their individual skills don't dictate. It's both maddening and frustrating and costs the Sox some wins every year. This team can't afford to give away anything.

guillensdisciple
08-29-2010, 11:18 AM
It is not Kotsay's fault he can't hit like Thome.

It is likely the Sox would have won several more games in April and May if they had had Thome DH v RHP instead of Kotsay.

We were 1.5 games coming into August. How many games has this bullpen or starting pitching ****ed up for you to get off this guy?

Number one in offensive categories for August, and bottom in the pack in almost every pitching category.

But I'm sure that had our pitching pitched well, Kotsay would have dropped an atom bomb on the Sox thus making us incapable of playing. I can't do this right now, this is literally the simplest thing to understand.

BringHomeDaBacon
08-29-2010, 11:28 AM
We were 1.5 games coming into August. How many games has this bullpen or starting pitching ****ed up for you to get off this guy?

Bullpen and starting pitching are irrelevant to the issue of Kotsay's inability to hit at a remotely competent level.

guillensdisciple
08-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Bullpen and starting pitching are irrelevant to the issue of Kotsay's inability to hit at a remotely competent level.

:o:

That's not my point- he does not matter anymore. It's August, he has barely played, and our offense has exploded. That's it, that's all that matters- Kotsay could be Brent Lillibridge of last year for all I care. I understand he's no good, but this offense has delivered EXACTLY how Ozzie wanted it too. Look at our numbers man, we're putting up some disgusting numbers offensively.

Those numbers, backed up by a good pitching staff, which was supposed to be our savior this season should allow us to go far. We're 4.5 games back. Kotsay has nothing to do with it, pitching does.

BringHomeDaBacon
08-29-2010, 12:14 PM
:o:

That's not my point- he does not matter anymore. It's August, he has barely played, and our offense has exploded. That's it, that's all that matters- Kotsay could be Brent Lillibridge of last year for all I care. I understand he's no good, but this offense has delivered EXACTLY how Ozzie wanted it too. Look at our numbers man, we're putting up some disgusting numbers offensively.

Those numbers, backed up by a good pitching staff, which was supposed to be our savior this season should allow us to go far. We're 4.5 games back. Kotsay has nothing to do with it, pitching does.

The offense has delivered because Konerko is having an absolutely obscene season. Most of what Ozzie wanted or planned has in fact not worked out.

DickAllen72
08-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Danks certainly sucked, but so do Quentin and Torres.

guillensdisciple
08-29-2010, 12:17 PM
The offense has delivered because Konerko is having an absolutely obscene season. Most of what Ozzie wanted or planned has in fact not worked out.

Vizquel, Ramirez, Rios, Pierre, and even Teahen have been productive since June. The pitching staff is the only flaw, and how can you even put the blame on Ozzie? By names, this pitching staff is supposed to be the best.

Lip Man 1
08-29-2010, 12:34 PM
The team has been inconsistent since opening day...very streaky and at times this year both the pitching and the hitting haven't performed.

It's as simple as that.

The real question is why are they so streaky?

Lip

BringHomeDaBacon
08-29-2010, 12:41 PM
Vizquel, Ramirez, Rios, Pierre, and even Teahen have been productive since June. The pitching staff is the only flaw, and how can you even put the blame on Ozzie? By names, this pitching staff is supposed to be the best.

You can circle around the issue all you want but the fact that other players have been productive and the pitching staff has been suspect doesn't change the fact that Ozzie's plan for DH has been a failure.

WhiteSox5187
08-29-2010, 12:55 PM
You can circle around the issue all you want but the fact that other players have been productive and the pitching staff has been suspect doesn't change the fact that Ozzie's plan for DH has been a failure.

Look, if we don't make the playoffs it's going to be because of the pitching and the bullpen, not because of the DH.

DirtySox
08-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Look, if we don't make the playoffs it's going to be because of the pitching and the bullpen, not because of the DH.

Bull****.

It's going to be a combination of things. The season doesn't just take place in August. The offense had been dreadful for part of the season, especially early on. Upgrading at DH for the entire season would have been the easiest place to better this team. Expecting the bullpen and SP to live up to such lofty expectations the entire season isn't feasible. You can't pin the entire season on the bullpen's recent implosion.

GoSox2K3
08-29-2010, 04:38 PM
Bull****.

It's going to be a combination of things. The season doesn't just take place in August. The offense had been dreadful for part of the season, especially early on. Upgrading at DH for the entire season would have been the easiest place to better this team. Expecting the bullpen and SP to live up to such lofty expectations the entire season isn't feasible. You can't pin the entire season on the bullpen's recent implosion.

Yes you can!!!!! Just ignore games like today when we're getting stymied by Cy Nova. How about those games in Baltimore when their All-Star rotation shut us down? They don't count. See, it's all the fault of the recent bullpen woes! That wasn't so hard, was it?

Oh, and just treat the different aspects of the White Sox performance in total isolation. Remember, poor offensive showing that force us to tax the best of our bullpen night after night has absolutely nothing to do with those relievers running out of gas and/or getting injured later.

The same goes for our starters not going deep enough into games. They're part of the equation too. Of course, I don't think anyone is blaming KW for that. He gave us a pretty solid rotation and they haven't been living up to their potential of late.