PDA

View Full Version : Gammons - Of course there is an East Coast bias

Fenway
08-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Gammons on NESN was saying he is sick of fans in the Midwest and Left Coast complaining about ESPN, MLB and other media outlets tilting east.

First he said there are 14 teams out of 30 in the Eastern time zone.

Of those 14 you have huge followings nationwide of NYY, BOS, ATL and lately Philadelphia.

Sports Center, Baseball Tonight and MLB shows also tend to lead with an East Coast game simply because they start first.

On Chicago he said the Cubs get national attention for all the wrong reasons. People outside Chicago follow them the same way people watch NASCAR to see wrecks. Direct quote 'We know how the story will end we just don't know how." The White Sox have picked up nationally thanks to WGN as neutral fans are amused by Ozzie and Hawk.

One sad reality is fans in the East have no clue about San Diego. It is a fun team to watch and Dick Enberg has given their telecasts a network sound but but they play over 90 games after 10 PM in the east.

NYY has a following simply because they are the Yankees. It has little to do with New York as the Mets have little support outside of Brooklyn, Queens, and Long Island.

BOS became the first team that exploded because of the internet as so many across the country went to school in New England and for many Boston became their team.

He did concede ESPN does get caught up in the NYY-BOS rivalry because Bristol, CT is exactly halfway between the 2 cities. He said MLB tries to police itself and downplays that their studio is in New Jersey.

He added Chicago is hampered by very weak newspapers considering the size of the market.

He also said he is shocked at how clueless new Cubs owner Tom Ricketts appears to be about the game. He needs to clean house similar to what the Tribune did in 1981 when they brought in Dallas Green. Worse they have a furious Ryne Sandberg in Iowa twisting in the wind. Given Lou's retirement if he was the man he would be at Wrigley now taking a test drive.

Hendrie and Ricketts seem to think they can land Joe Torre. Won't happen - Joe is waiting to see how the McCourt divorce plays out but is also very interested in the Mets job which is sure to open up. While he and George made peace 10 days before The Boss died, Joe has pure hatred towards the Steinbrenner sons. Not being even mentioned in the last night of Yankee Stadium hurt him deeply. The thought of managing the Mets to a World Series win entices him.

----------------------------------------------

Those of you with the DirecTV sports pack should watch Gammons on NESN (Channel 628) He has never been better. NESN has a great roster of people they rotate in the studio between Jim Rice, Dennis Eckersley, Gammo and a solid host in Tom Caron.

nccwsfan
08-28-2010, 05:56 PM
ESPN's coverage isn't going to change so it's not worth the extra time to fret about it. Between sports league networks (NFL Network, MLB Network), regional sports channels (Comcast Sportsnet), and the internet the need to get sports news from ESPN is virtually zero.

I wouldn't mind NYY-BOS so much if they would spend a decent proportion of the time promoting other worthwhile rivalries. By far the most underrated rivalry is SF-LA; players, teams, and fans have a longstanding dislike of each other. NYM-PHI, CWS-MIN, Cubs-Cards, STL-CIN, etc. It would grow the interest in the game and revenues wouldn't be that far off. Good notes Fenway.

dickallen15
08-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Peter is wrong about Ricketts wanting Torre. He wants a younger guy who plans on being around a while because they are getting younger. He said he wanted a manager who wants to and will have to coach players as the veteran presence will be lower, although I don't know how they will dump most of their vets as their contracts are ridiculous.Ricketts said as much on the radio the other day.

I do agree that Ricketts does appear to be a lot more clueless about the game that I would have imagined, but from what I've heard, he build his company on technology and wants to use technology to build the Cubs. Sabermatrics.

SI1020
08-28-2010, 06:26 PM
He added Chicago is hampered by very weak newspapers considering the size of the market.
That is so different from the Chicago I knew as a child and young man.

Fenway
08-28-2010, 07:23 PM
That is so different from the Chicago I knew as a child and young man.

I have to admit reading the Boston Globe all my life spoiled me...from Gammons, Bob Ryan, the late Ray Fitzgerald, Bud Collins, Jackie McMullen, Jack Craig who invented the sports media columns and even Shaughnessy it has always had top notch writers.

How I miss Will McDonough and wish he was alive to see the fall of Roger Clemens who he named 'The Texas Con Man' 20 years ago. He once wrote that Whitey Bulger had more integrity than Clemens. OUCH

Tellendar is IMHO the best in Chicago with Morrisey close behind. Sun-Times to me is worth a buck, the Trib has just become a very weak paper.

Daver
08-28-2010, 07:31 PM
I have to admit reading the Boston Globe all my life spoiled me...from Gammons, Bob Ryan, the late Ray Fitzgerald, Bud Collins, Jackie McMullen, Jack Craig who invented the sports media columns and even Shaughnessy it has always had top notch writers.

How I miss Will McDonough and wish he was alive to see the fall of Roger Clemens who he named 'The Texas Con Man' 20 years ago. He once wrote that Whitey Bulger had more integrity than Clemens. OUCH

Tellendar is IMHO the best in Chicago with Morrisey close behind. Sun-Times to me is worth a buck, the Trib has just become a very weak paper.

Back in the day of the "Sportswriters on TV" when Tellander was held in check by Jauss and Gleason he was good, nowadays he mails it in for the most part. The Trib and the Sun Times are basically good for little other than birdcage liner, and the Southtown isn't far behind after being acquired by the Sun Times.

hawkjt
08-29-2010, 08:55 AM
Telander is way down my list of chicago sportswriters,and that list aint great.

Teddy Greenstein is my favorite writer in town and he does not even really do a column.
Morrisey and Haugh are next.
after that...not much.

I agree that the Boston Globe has had great continuity,with Ryan and Shaughnessy.
The Trib has just been gutted the last few years.
They need a new columnist badly.
Telander is a broken record...he simply does not like sports much anymore.

As for the Cubs, I think Gammons sources are poor on this. Ricketts has no interest in Torre. He wants Girardi,but barring that they will go with Eric Wedge or another younger manager,who they think can be a long term developer of young talent. They want their own Ozzie...ie...a guy who can go ten years.

tsoxman
08-29-2010, 10:11 AM
....He also said he is shocked at how clueless new Cubs owner Tom Ricketts appears to be about the game. He needs to clean house similar to what the Tribune did in 1981 when they brought in Dallas Green. Worse they have a furious Ryne Sandberg in Iowa twisting in the wind. Given Lou's retirement if he was the man he would be at Wrigley now taking a test drive....

I never understood why Ricketts gave the blessing to extend Hendry's contract. One of the few ways a new owner can change direction of an organization is the GM. With money very tight, the decision to retain Hendry now may have more to do with saving dollars, rather than making the best baseball decision.

palehozenychicty
08-29-2010, 11:59 PM
Back in the day of the "Sportswriters on TV" when Tellander was held in check by Jauss and Gleason he was good, nowadays he mails it in for the most part. The Trib and the Sun Times are basically good for little other than birdcage liner, and the Southtown isn't far behind after being acquired by the Sun Times.

I remember that show very well. It was good sparring.

WhiteSox5187
08-30-2010, 12:07 AM

They also tackled some interesting issues, I remember finding something on YouTube about them discussing Kurt Cobain's death, it was a very interesting discussion.

downstairs
08-30-2010, 03:22 PM
I agree with Gammons on a lot of this stuff.

The whole east coast bias thing never bothered me. Ratings are king. ESPN is not going to sacrifice ratings to absolutely ensure fair coverage.

Why would I care if they cover the Yankees more than the White Sox? No skin off my back.

The time zone thing will always kill the west coast. I rarely watch Sox games when they're out there.

Foulke You
08-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Ratings are king. ESPN is not going to sacrifice ratings to absolutely ensure fair coverage.
They can do what they want but I will choose with my remote control. I haven't tuned into ESPN for baseball coverage or highlights once since MLB Network went on the air.

salty99
08-30-2010, 04:38 PM

Well you can rewatch it since CSN is bringing back old episodes.