PDA

View Full Version : Chapman hits 105 MPH???

Marqhead
08-28-2010, 03:20 PM
http://deadspin.com/5624388/hype-machine-already-finds-the-next-strasburg

According to the gun at his game in Louisville Friday...

WhiteSox5187
08-28-2010, 03:29 PM
:o:

That is scary fast! Didn't Bob Feller once get clocked at something like 107?

Pablo_Honey
08-28-2010, 03:33 PM
His mechanics scream injury waiting to happen, he's overhyped and overpriced, and most importantly, he can't eat up innings. Reds shouldn't have signed him.

nccwsfan
08-28-2010, 04:43 PM
I saw him pitch a a Durham Bulls game last month- his velocity is the real deal! It's amazing how much faster that looks compared to someone throwing in the 90's. Virtually no time to react.

That particular game he hit 102 twice- one of those hit Dioner Navarro in the back. Safe to say Navarro wasn't too happy about that. It's good to see a tradition team like the Reds return to prominence- they've got some talent.

voodoochile
08-28-2010, 07:35 PM
:o:

That is scary fast! Didn't Bob Feller once get clocked at something like 107?

Speeds from days gone by are not as accurate as current ones are. A manually operated stopwatch that only divides seconds into tenths is simply not that accurate when talking about a total distance of 60 feet over .5 seconds. Human reaction times just aren't that good a misclick by a very small amount would lead to massive discrepancies from actual to recorded speed.

WhiteSox5187
08-28-2010, 08:52 PM
Speeds from days gone by are not as accurate as current ones are. A manually operated stopwatch that only divides seconds into tenths is simply not that accurate when talking about a total distance of 60 feet over .5 seconds. Human reaction times just aren't that good a misclick by a very small amount would lead to massive discrepancies from actual to recorded speed.

They weren't using a stopwatch for Feller. The Army used some sort of device that while not as accurate as the guns today was fairly accurate and could give a rough idea of what the guy was throwing. It was well over 100 mph.

TDog
08-28-2010, 10:28 PM

What they did with Bob Feller, according to a film I saw, was they had him deliver a pitch next to a motorcyclist with a speedometer reading at 100 mph that caught up to him as he was throwing that pitch. The pitch beat the motorcyclist to the the simulated home plate. That isn't very precise either, but it made for great newsreel footage.

I was at an A's game this summer where the stadium gun measured a pitcher throwing 200 mph, but no one believed it. Actually, people laughed.

Daver
08-28-2010, 11:03 PM
What they did with Bob Feller, according to a film I saw, was they had him deliver a pitch next to a motorcyclist with a speedometer reading at 100 mph that caught up to him as he was throwing that pitch. The pitch beat the motorcyclist to the the simulated home plate. That isn't very precise either, but it made for great newsreel footage.

I was at an A's game this summer where the stadium gun measured a pitcher throwing 200 mph, but no one believed it. Actually, people laughed.

I have clocked trees doing 40 MPH using police issued equipment from a parked position.

That has nothing to do with why I think the radar gun should be banned from baseball at every level.

ComiskeyBrewer
08-28-2010, 11:38 PM

Miller Park's screws up like that a bit too. It had Dave Bush at 800 once while i was there.

chisoxfanatic
08-28-2010, 11:44 PM
Miller Park's screws up like that a bit too. It had Dave Bush at 800 once while i was there.
I think those things can be so inaccurate. I remember a few years ago, the one at Comiskey was having problems and clocked Bobby at 75.

DumpJerry
08-29-2010, 12:06 AM
I was at Sox game earlier this year where Peavy was throwing 187 MPH and the opposing hurler was 154 MPH.

Now that I think back on it, maybe it was accurate and this is how he got hurt....

Nellie_Fox
08-29-2010, 12:53 AM
Don't forget that Sidd Finch was clocked at 168. :tongue:

http://www.jewishjournal.com/images/thegodblog_images/SiddFinch-747452.gif

oeo
09-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Apparently his nickname is now The Cuban Missile.

How original. Except it doesn't make much sense for a pitcher.

JermaineDye05
09-01-2010, 06:29 PM

Has Cinnci not heard of Alexei before? :scratch:

soltrain21
09-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Has Cinnci not heard of Alexei before? :scratch:

I don't think that Alexei's nickname is widespread outside of this message board.

kjhanson
09-01-2010, 07:54 PM

Except for the fact that Alexei earned the name for his strong arm. So it kinda makes a lotta sense -- except for the whole it's already taken thing.

oeo
09-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Except for the fact that Alexei earned the name for his strong arm. So it kinda makes a lotta sense -- except for the whole it's already taken thing.

Are you sure about that? I thought Ozzie gave him the nickname due to his lean stature and quickness.

doublem23
09-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Are you sure about that? I thought Ozzie gave him the nickname due to his lean stature and quickness.

I think it works for both guys. Have you seen Chapman? It's not like he's a Cuban Santa Claus.

oeo
09-01-2010, 08:39 PM
I think it works for both guys. Have you seen Chapman? It's not like he's a Cuban Santa Claus.

Yeah, I've seen him, but is he blazing around the base paths?

guillensdisciple
09-02-2010, 01:56 AM
Glad to see Cubans beginning to make a splash in the bigs. There are some very talented ones in play. Morales, Ramirez, Chapman, Betancourt, Yunel Escobar. Pretty damn good.