PDA

View Full Version : Fan gets lifetime ban for throwing back a ball that hits a pitcher

bnlfanmatt
08-27-2010, 08:30 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Fan-ejected-from-stadium-after-hitting-player-with-baseball-082610?gt1=39002

Didn't see this posted yet. Maybe more people will think about the consequences of doing this, and would love to see teams throw out more fans that throw balls back.

Ex-Chicagoan
08-27-2010, 08:49 AM
From the story:

"One of the ground rules for the stadium is you can't throw objects onto the field at any time,'' Oppermann said Thursday. ''He threw a ball onto the field, and worse yet it struck a player.''

I have never understood why throwing of anything onto any playing surface - be it baseballs or octopi - is tolerated by any organization. You're there to watch the game, not participate in it.

TheOldRoman
08-27-2010, 08:56 AM
The wording above is stupid because "not throwing **** onto the field" is an explicit rule at every single ballpark. They merely ignore it up north, ESPN and the media shows it and considers it loveable, and morons do it across the nation. I have seen fans at other parks ejected for it, as they do at the Cell. They need to start arresting anyone who does it an charging them with assault.

g0g0
08-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Lifetime ban and possible charges for this? Overkill if you ask me. Sure he made a bad mistake (compounded by hitting a player), but to ban him and then possibly prosecute? Ridiculous. The player wasn't even hurt. Just shows how 'sue happy' America is...

Coops4Aces
08-27-2010, 10:15 AM
My only question is, how do they enforce this lifetime ban? I know someone who got a lifetime ban from the Sox but he goes all the time.

TheOldRoman
08-27-2010, 10:32 AM
Lifetime ban and possible charges for this? Overkill if you ask me. Sure he made a bad mistake (compounded by hitting a player), but to ban him and then possibly prosecute? Ridiculous. The player wasn't even hurt. Just shows how 'sue happy' America is...So, can I walk around punching random people in the face? That would hurt them, so what if I just slapped people in the face really hard? Would that be okay since I didn't hurt them badly? He assaulted a player. I don't see how this is not an issue with you.

Madvora
08-27-2010, 10:42 AM
Did you guys all miss the best line in the article?

"Todd Parnell, the Squirrels' vice president and chief operating officer, said the fan told stadium security he'd seen balls thrown back on the field following opponents' home runs at Chicago Cubs (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/team/chicago-cubs/71602) games and that he wasn't trying to hit anybody."

fram40
08-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Did you guys all miss the best line in the article?

"Todd Parnell, the Squirrels' vice president and chief operating officer, said the fan told stadium security he'd seen balls thrown back on the field following opponents' home runs at Chicago Cubs (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/team/chicago-cubs/71602) games and that he wasn't trying to hit anybody."

That might be a pretty effective defense at trial, considering that the practice is encouraged (seemingly by ownership) at many parks despite the rule.

g0g0
08-27-2010, 11:10 AM
So, can I walk around punching random people in the face? That would hurt them, so what if I just slapped people in the face really hard? Would that be okay since I didn't hurt them badly? He assaulted a player. I don't see how this is not an issue with you.

:rolleyes: Except for the fact he wasn't intentionally trying to hurt anyone. It was a wrong place wrong time with some bad judgment thrown in. There wasn't any malicious intent. I hope no old ladies accidentally trip and bump into you. Sounds like you'd have them locked up for sure!

GlassSox
08-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Just another stupid move. Break the rules and pay the price! Luckily he did not hit the player in the face or head.

If he did not want the ball, I'm sure that there was a kid near him that really would have been excited to have a ball.

kittle42
08-27-2010, 11:21 AM
:rolleyes: Except for the fact he wasn't intentionally trying to hurt anyone. It was a wrong place wrong time with some bad judgment thrown in. There wasn't any malicious intent. I hope no old ladies accidentally trip and bump into you. Sounds like you'd have them locked up for sure!

Malicious intent would not be needed. Legally speaking, they are fully in the right to prosecute the fan.

TheOldRoman
08-27-2010, 11:49 AM
:rolleyes: Except for the fact he wasn't intentionally trying to hurt anyone. It was a wrong place wrong time with some bad judgment thrown in. There wasn't any malicious intent. I hope no old ladies accidentally trip and bump into you. Sounds like you'd have them locked up for sure!Tripping is an accident. The guy didn't have an arm spasm and accidently throw the ball onto the field. By your logic it wouldn't be a big deal to fire a shotgun at the field between pitches just as long as I didn't hit anyone. I just wanted to see the grass fly!

g0g0
08-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Tripping is an accident. The guy didn't have an arm spasm and accidently throw the ball onto the field. By your logic it wouldn't be a big deal to fire a shotgun at the field between pitches just as long as I didn't hit anyone. I just wanted to see the grass fly!

Sorry, but he's not the cold blooded pitcher-killer you are making him out to be.

Malicious intent would not be needed. Legally speaking, they are fully in the right to prosecute the fan.

Sure they have a right, but for something like that?? There has to be some kind of precedent there with it being accepted elsewhere. I don't know, it seems like prosecuting people for littering when they drop their peanut shells on the ground.

DumpJerry
08-27-2010, 01:11 PM
If MLB forced all 30 teams to engage in this level of enforcement, the Bud Lite (R) Bleachers will become a very lonely place very quickly.

TheOldRoman
08-27-2010, 01:22 PM
If MLB forced all 30 teams to engage in this level of enforcement, the Bud Lite (R) Bleachers will become a very lonely place very quickly.No, they would still fill up for the pageantry of buying teenage girls beer in exchange for them flashing, throwing garbage on the field and shouting racial epithets at your outfielders.

Nellie_Fox
08-27-2010, 01:35 PM
...shouting racial epitaphs at your outfielders.Here lies our outfielder
He should have been a yielder
In full pursuit of a ball
He forgot about the wall.

DumpJerry
08-27-2010, 01:36 PM
No, they would still fill up for the pageantry of buying teenage girls beer in exchange for them flashing, throwing garbage on the field and shouting racial epitaphs at your outfielders.
Throwing stuff on field=lifetime ban.

TheOldRoman
08-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Here lies our outfielder
He should have been a yielder
In full pursuit of a ball
He forgot about the wall.:redface: You win this round.

Throwing stuff on field=lifetime ban.Right. I was thinking just in terms of balls being thrown. They still have the racial slurs and underage boobs, though.

JoeyCora28
08-27-2010, 01:43 PM
No, they would still fill up for the pageantry of buying teenage girls beer in exchange for them flashing, throwing garbage on the field and shouting racial epitaphs at your outfielders.

Not trying to be the language police here, but I think the word you are looking for is epithets. The Cubs outfield, being as dead as they were this year, probably deserved to have some epitaphs shouted at them. :smile: