johnnyg83
08-26-2010, 10:55 PM
I do enjoy series wins.

twinsuck
I like this title. HELL YEAH

Rockabilly
I'm so amaze with how EJ has pitched so far.

Lets beat the Yankees this weekend!!!

OmahaSoxFan
08-26-2010, 10:56 PM
I like this title. HELL YEAH

I second that, great thread title all the way! Very clever! :smile:

PeteWard
08-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Well can we agree that getting Jackson was a good move?

My only complaint tonight (well, except for Cliff Lee's performance) is the crowd. Is it my computer's sound or was the place a morgue? There seemed to be no real appreciation for Jackson's mastery. What's going on? The placed used to be one of the loudest in baseball.

Rockabilly
08-26-2010, 10:59 PM
I'm praying that the Rangers will come back to win

rookie
08-26-2010, 11:01 PM

My only complaint tonight (well, except for Cliff Lee's performance) is the crowd. Is it my computer's sound or was the place a morgue? There seemed to be no real appreciation for Jackson's mastery. What's going on? The placed used to be one of the loudest in baseball.

Well for me it was my TV. I got sound on every channel except for CSN. Wierd.

Yea Sox! Let's have a great homestand!

JermaineDye05
08-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Jackson and Hudson are matching each other start for start. I'd say it's pretty ignorant to say that Kenny made a bad deal in acquiring Edwin. Coop has seemingly worked his magic once again. One thing that's really got me excited about Edwin is his strikeouts are way up since he joined the Sox.

Edwins K/9= 10.9

his career K/9 is 6.6

BadBobbyJenks
08-26-2010, 11:03 PM
One thing is clear Edwin's stuff >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Daniel's. Crazy how he has looked right out of the gate for us.

konerko 14
08-26-2010, 11:04 PM
wow, Jackson strikes out 10, Sox offense scores 8, the bullpen didn't blow it, great game all around tonight, Go Rangers :)

hi im skot
08-26-2010, 11:04 PM
One thing that's really got me excited about Edwin is his strikeouts are way up since he joined the Sox.

Edwins K/9= 10.9

his career K/9 is 6.6

Count me in as a fan of Jackson, but it's a small sample size thus far.

I'm hopeful he's able to keep it going.

doublem23
08-26-2010, 11:09 PM
Jackson and Hudson are matching each other start for start. I'd say it's pretty ignorant to say that Kenny made a bad deal in acquiring Edwin. Coop has seemingly worked his magic once again. One thing that's really got me excited about Edwin is his strikeouts are way up since he joined the Sox.

Edwins K/9= 10.9

his career K/9 is 6.6

I think what most people are critical of with the deal is the payroll flexibility Hudson brought over a guy like Jackson. Hudson is still what? 3 years away from even entering arbitration, while Jackson is owed $8+ M next year and is likely gone after 2011 unless the Sox and Scott Boras start seeing eye-to-eye again.

Of course, KW may have just acquired Jackson to push all his chips in for 2011, in which case, he probably doesn't give a rat's ass about payroll flexibility in 2012-2015.

PeteWard
08-26-2010, 11:10 PM
Twinkies win. I was hoping for 2 1/2 after this series. Just have to make it up by taking two from New York and hope Seattle plays over their heads a bit and wins that series. Twinks will be tired.

manders_01
08-26-2010, 11:11 PM
Clearly all the pooches with bandannas helped us out tonight! :D:

Thanks Edwin and the rest of the Sox. You guys were AWESOME!!! :bandance:

SBSoxFan
08-26-2010, 11:11 PM
Edwin Jackson > Cliff Lee

OmahaSoxFan
08-26-2010, 11:12 PM
wow, Jackson strikes out 10, Sox offense scores 8, the bullpen didn't blow it, great game all around tonight, Go Rangers :)

No help from the Rangers tonight... but Edwin helped the Sox to a big win tonight so they can keep pace. Big weekend coming up vs. the Yankees, tomorrow scares me with Garcia on the mound vs. the Bombers. We shall see!

spongyfungy
08-26-2010, 11:12 PM
Coop will fix him is not just a cliche.

the scouts, gm and staff really did their research and knew exactly what he was doing wrong in giving up all those walks and tipping pitches..

kudos to them

PeteWard
08-26-2010, 11:14 PM
No help from the Rangers tonight... but Edwin helped the Sox to a big win tonight so they can keep pace. Big weekend coming up vs. the Yankees, tomorrow scares me with Garcia on the mound vs. the Bombers. We shall see!

But their guy is much worse. I think Sabathia and Saturday is more worrisome. I think the Sox will play well and take 2 of 3.

Sunnydre
08-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Jackson has been better then I had predicted - So +1 to Kenny.

I still say he should have went after two bats.

tstrike2000
08-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Jackson's a stud. Hitting and pitching in the same night? Very nice.

Dan H
08-26-2010, 11:16 PM
I get mad at Kenny Williams a lot, but then I think of Jackson, Floyd and Danks. Hope the team finally gets on a streak.

Rockabilly
08-26-2010, 11:18 PM
So glad we kept EJ instead of trading him for Dunn.

Dunn has been brutal this past month.

Lip Man 1
08-26-2010, 11:44 PM
He's certainly pitching well.

Lip

Coops4Aces
08-26-2010, 11:45 PM

Scott Merkin tweet:

"Crowd tonight is not massive but very loud and into this victory"

Martinigirl
08-26-2010, 11:46 PM
Coop will fix him is not just a cliche.

the scouts, gm and staff really did their research and knew exactly what he was doing wrong in giving up all those walks and tipping pitches..

kudos to them

I couldn't agree more. It is amazing how they know far more than the fans, and I do believe some media, that were saying how inept Kenny was for getting "stuck" with Jackson and not flipping him for Dunn.

soxlady8
08-26-2010, 11:48 PM
Sunny's bandana must have helped LOL

Great to see some MAGIC tonight :)
great game , great game , great game !!

PeteWard
08-26-2010, 11:56 PM
Scott Merkin tweet:

Must be my sound system then. But I saw no one standing after EJ ended the 8th with a K. I would have been on my feet.

Pablo_Honey
08-27-2010, 12:08 AM
We may not be able to win every game but if we can constantly take the series in this kind of fashion, we will catch up to the Twins. Oh and, Coop + Jackson = WIN. Giving up Hudson may come back to bite us in the future, but Jackson is starting to look like the ace we desparately needed in our postseason push.

roylestillman
08-27-2010, 12:09 AM
Must be my sound system then. But I saw no one standing after EJ ended the 8th with a K. I would have been on my feet.
I just got home from the game. The crowd was pretty into it and there was a nice ovation when EJ walked off the mound after the eighth. Not sure everybody was certain that that was his last inning. Odd crowd in that it was spread out. It was a Straight A night (or whatever they call it now_ and an exchange night for unused season tickets. The total in the house was closer to 30,000 than the announced paid of 23,800.

oeo
08-27-2010, 12:09 AM
Scott Merkin tweet:

I agree with him, the crowd was very lively especially considering all the empty seats.

chisoxfanatic
08-27-2010, 12:38 AM
Edwin pitched well, but it's nice to see the bats coming back again...Hope it continues this weekend.

cards press box
08-27-2010, 12:58 AM
I think what most people are critical of with the deal is the payroll flexibility Hudson brought over a guy like Jackson. Hudson is still what? 3 years away from even entering arbitration, while Jackson is owed $8+ M next year and is likely gone after 2011 unless the Sox and Scott Boras start seeing eye-to-eye again.

Of course, KW may have just acquired Jackson to push all his chips in for 2011, in which case, he probably doesn't give a rat's ass about payroll flexibility in 2012-2015.

And don't forget, a lot can (and probably will) happen before the end of next season. Jackson, like John Danks, might get a new agent if he wants to stay here and thinks that Boras will complicate things. Admittedly, that doesn't sound likely. The Sox could also keep Jackson if they are in the pennant race next year or deal him by the end of July if they are out of it.

Finally, the Sox could keep Jackson to make a push in 2011, try to sign him at the end of the season, offer him arbitration and, if keeps pitching like he has, take the two draft picks if he leaves, as he appears to be on pace to be a Type A free agent after 2011. If that happens, then the Sox will have flipped Daniel Hudson for 1.5 years of Edwin jackson at the top of his game in his prime years, a first round pick and a sandwich pick after the first round. That doesn't sound like such a bad deal, particularly if it gives the Sox a shot at making the World Series in 2010 and 2011. And, as I said, that is possibly the worst case scenario if the Sox can't re-sign Jackson.

GlassSox
08-27-2010, 01:00 AM
Just got home from the game and this was a very nice win. The crowd was good except for a bunch who were up more than down and blocked our view of the batter, very annoying.

Jackson was very good and the offense showed up tonight.

PeteWard
08-27-2010, 01:01 AM
I just got home from the game. The crowd was pretty into it and there was a nice ovation when EJ walked off the mound after the eighth. Not sure everybody was certain that that was his last inning. Odd crowd in that it was spread out. It was a Straight A night (or whatever they call it now_ and an exchange night for unused season tickets. The total in the house was closer to 30,000 than the announced paid of 23,800.

I am obviously mistaken and feel like an idiot for having brought it up. :redface:

TheOldRoman
08-27-2010, 01:08 AM
Clearly all the pooches with bandannas helped us out tonight! :D:

Thanks Edwin and the rest of the Sox. You guys were AWESOME!!! :bandance:We were happy to help, and he was happy to see a win.

johnnyg83
08-27-2010, 01:08 AM
Perhaps I'm naive, but I would think that EJ would be enthusiastic about staying the WhiteSox if his numbers can be even close to what he's done so far.

But I know Boras puts no value on loyalty or ever gives credit to anyone but his client. Hopefully Jackson can see what it seems Coop and our scouts saw in him and gives us credit for rejuvenating him.

TheOldRoman
08-27-2010, 01:13 AM
Perhaps I'm naive, but I would think that EJ would be enthusiastic about staying the WhiteSox if his numbers can be even close to what he's done so far.

But I know Boras puts no value on loyalty or ever gives credit to anyone but his client. Hopefully Jackson can see what it seems Coop and our scouts saw in him and gives us credit for rejuvenating him.But giving pitchers long term contracts is usually a bad idea. He is 26 now, so he is going to be looking for maybe the biggest he will get in his career. Say he has a Cy Young type year next year, the Sox would offer him a contract, but it wouldn't be the $15-20 million a year he would get from the Yankees. When a team is offering him a 7 yr/$120 contract you can't really blame him for passing up the 4-5 year deal the Sox would offer.

Sam Spade
08-27-2010, 01:18 AM

No. If we don't make the playoffs, this move is a loser. Hudson has been lights out too, and he has a lot more than one year left on his deal. He also has a lot of upside.

PeteWard
08-27-2010, 01:27 AM
No. If we don't make the playoffs, this move is a loser. Hudson has been lights out too, and he has a lot more than one year left on his deal. He also has a lot of upside.

But Jackson is pitching way better in a Sox uniforn than Hudson did. Worked out for both teams.

And I do think the Sox will catch Minny.

johnnyg83
08-27-2010, 01:29 AM
But giving pitchers long term contracts is usually a bad idea. He is 26 now, so he is going to be looking for maybe the biggest he will get in his career. Say he has a Cy Young type year next year, the Sox would offer him a contract, but it wouldn't be the $15-20 million a year he would get from the Yankees. When a team is offering him a 7 yr/$120 contract you can't really blame him for passing up the 4-5 year deal the Sox would offer.

No, no, I get it. That's the slow burn of actually having our scouts and Coop giving him (apparently) the tips to figure it out. We don't get any extra consideration for helping him.

That's the rub of the Hudson deal ... even if Hudson's stats are 20% worse, he'll probably end up 1000% cheaper.

hawkjt
08-27-2010, 02:08 AM
That was the best stuff Jackson has shown since he came...he had the full arsenal tonite. Melton said it well...tonite he really pitched,because he could set them up with his nasty stuff,and not just go with the heat.
If he could continue like this,he could be our horse down the stretch..he had better stuff tonite than any of the other starters recently.
He has me dreaming of a healthy Peavy,EJack,Gavin,Danks,MB rotation next year...oh my.

Good to see Alex pop out of it tonite...finally turned on an inside pitch and showed some power. Going to right first couple of hits was key.

3 rbis in the last two games for Carlos, even tho he is not mashing..steady producer...like PK.
AJ really coming on finally...so overdue,but very welcome.
Sox now have 10+ hits in 11 of last 12 games. Adam Dunn is hitting .173 in August,Lance Berkman hit .139 in august before going to the DL last week....sometimes all that glitters is not gold,at the trading deadline.
Teahen has hit well since coming back. Kotsay is now just a rumor.
Andruw is the only guy not hitting decently on this team right now,really..can Manny outhit him? Who knows?

LITTLE NELL
08-27-2010, 07:33 AM
3-4-5 hitters=7 hits.
You win lots of games when that happens plus AJ the 6th hitter got 2 more, so 9 hits in the middle of the lineup.
Dont't stop now boys!!!

kufram
08-27-2010, 08:12 AM
That was the best stuff Jackson has shown since he came...he had the full arsenal tonite. Melton said it well...tonite he really pitched,because he could set them up with his nasty stuff,and not just go with the heat.
If he could continue like this,he could be our horse down the stretch..he had better stuff tonite than any of the other starters recently.
He has me dreaming of a healthy Peavy,EJack,Gavin,Danks,MB rotation next year...oh my.

Good to see Alex pop out of it tonite...finally turned on an inside pitch and showed some power. Going to right first couple of hits was key.

3 rbis in the last two games for Carlos, even tho he is not mashing..steady producer...like PK.
AJ really coming on finally...so overdue,but very welcome.
Sox now have 10+ hits in 11 of last 12 games. Adam Dunn is hitting .173 in August,Lance Berkman hit .139 in august before going to the DL last week....sometimes all that glitters is not gold,at the trading deadline.
Teahen has hit well since coming back. Kotsay is now just a rumor.
Andruw is the only guy not hitting decently on this team right now,really..can Manny outhit him? Who knows?

Jackson looks like a very good deal to me. The hitters people wanted aren't hitting. The hitters we have are although streaky. Hudson, a rookie, in a race? Not a great bet. I think someone knew what they were doing. Ready... aim.... fire!

ChiSoxGirl
08-27-2010, 08:27 AM
My sleep schedule and body clock are all screwed up since starting school earlier this week, so I was exhausted and went to bed at the end of the 8th... but had the game on the radio 'til I fell asleep. From what I heard, Edwin Jackson was dominating and, based on the score, the offense definitely showed up. It was nice to see Rios go 3-for-4 and add to his power numbers, which he hadn't done in the better part of three weeks.

It's just too bad Cliff Lee wasn't able to pitch like he usually does, as we could've gained a game on the hated Twins. I just hope the games the Sox have dropped to putrid teams like the Orioles, Royals, and Indians don't end up being the difference in the divisional race.

Let's have a good series against the Yankees this weekend! We'll need it because the Twins travel to Seattle.

Craig Grebeck
08-27-2010, 09:18 AM

I wouldn't call it a good move. It was an ill-advised move that has worked out, for now. I still think Jackson could have -- or should have -- cost less than Daniel Hudson. I'm sure the Diamondbacks are even more excited than we are.

Exactly. Plus who knows if KW will be GM in 2012-2015? I'm sure he is going to be around in some form, but he's probably thinking short-term.

And don't forget, a lot can (and probably will) happen before the end of next season. Jackson, like John Danks, might get a new agent if he wants to stay here and thinks that Boras will complicate things. Admittedly, that doesn't sound likely. The Sox could also keep Jackson if they are in the pennant race next year or deal him by the end of July if they are out of it.

Finally, the Sox could keep Jackson to make a push in 2011, try to sign him at the end of the season, offer him arbitration and, if keeps pitching like he has, take the two draft picks if he leaves, as he appears to be on pace to be a Type A free agent after 2011. If that happens, then the Sox will have flipped Daniel Hudson for 1.5 years of Edwin jackson at the top of his game in his prime years, a first round pick and a sandwich pick after the first round. That doesn't sound like such a bad deal, particularly if it gives the Sox a shot at making the World Series in 2010 and 2011. And, as I said, that is possibly the worst case scenario if the Sox can't re-sign Jackson.
And, as I've said, the worst case scenario for the White Sox with Hudson would have been missing the playoffs, but allowing him some time to adjust to MLB, and then have him at the 5-spot next year. Then, the White Sox would have had quite a bit of cash-money to play around with offense-wise.

SI1020
08-27-2010, 09:18 AM

Edwins K/9= 10.9

his career K/9 is 6.6 It's way too early to judge this trade one way or the other. Of course the results so far have been encouraging.

TheOldRoman
08-27-2010, 09:59 AM
No. If we don't make the playoffs, this move is a loser. Hudson has been lights out too, and he has a lot more than one year left on his deal. He also has a lot of upside.Hudson has been pitching well for a god awful team with no hope or expectations in the lesser league. We saw what he would have given us the last two months of the season - 5 innings tops with an ERA of 9. Playoffs or not, KW made a move that greatly improved the team for the stretch run.

doublem23
08-27-2010, 10:04 AM
I wouldn't call it a good move. It was an ill-advised move that has worked out, for now. I still think Jackson could have -- or should have -- cost less than Daniel Hudson. I'm sure the Diamondbacks are even more excited than we are.

It's possible that this is one of those deals that work out for both teams; Jackson looks like he's benefitting greatly from working with Cooper and there's definitely no disputing that if both reach their absolute max ceiling, Jackson is about a billion jillion quadrillion times better than Hudson. The Sox are working in a win-now mode, there's still a very real chance they'll make the postseason in 2010 and are definitely in the hunt to be the favorite in the division again in 2011; a healthy Peavy and competent Edwin Jackson gives the Sox arguably the #1 rotation in baseball next year.

Hudson, meanwhile, can develop and toil away with the mediocre Diamondbacks for the next few years before they trade him away to a contender for another prospect while they chase that elusive title that's always 1-2 years down the line.

doublem23
08-27-2010, 10:15 AM

Jackson's only 26, even though he's been around for a while, to say he's maxed out is a stretch, especially with his new "attack the zone" philosophy that has had rave reviews so far. There is simply no disputing that Jackson is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Dan Hudson if both are pitching as well as they can.

The Sox's rotation next year sets up Buehrle, Danks, Jackson, Peavy, Floyd. That's downright filthy. I'm sorry, but I agree with the principle of KW's move, if you're trying to win right now, you don't have time to coddle along young kids in hopes they'll be ready to give you quality innings a year or two down the road. The Sox don't have to play the small market bull****.

That's the rub of the Hudson deal ... even if Hudson's stats are 20% worse, he'll probably end up 1000% cheaper.

That is true, but ultimately you don't get a prize for winning games on as tight a budget as possible.

It's possible Jackson's massive contract will be determental to the Sox's attempts to build the rest of their roster for 2011, but the on-field product is no comparison. This guy is pitching great.

Hitmen77
08-27-2010, 10:43 AM
Great game yesterday. Best thing about the last 2 games is that the bullpen got a much needed rest. The only relievers we brought in were Threets and Pena.

Things get a lot tougher starting tonight against the Yankees (and with the Twins playing the awful Mariners).

Jackson's only 26, even though he's been around for a while, to say he's maxed out is a stretch, especially with his new "attack the zone" philosophy that has had rave reviews so far. There is simply no disputing that Jackson is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Dan Hudson if both are pitching as well as they can.

The Sox's rotation next year sets up Buehrle, Danks, Jackson, Peavy, Floyd. That's downright filthy. I'm sorry, but I agree with the principle of KW's move, if you're trying to win right now, you don't have time to coddle along young kids in hopes they'll be ready to give you quality innings a year or two down the road. The Sox don't have to play the small market bull****.

That is true, but ultimately you don't get a prize for winning games on as tight a budget as possible.

It's possible Jackson's massive contract will be determental to the Sox's attempts to build the rest of their roster for 2011, but the on-field product is no comparison. This guy is pitching great.

If Peavy can rebound from his injury and if Jackson continues to pitch to his potential, I really like the look of that rotation next year. Would it be too much to say that all 5 of those guys have the potential to be all-star quality? (I'm not saying they all WILL be all-star quality!) Plus, we'll have Chris Sale waiting in the wings if one of these guys goes down (or gets traded).

That being said, I am concerned, given that the Sox payroll limit was apparently slightly over $100 million this year, that we'll have about $50 million tied up in that rotation. We might very well be looking at yet another year of cheap, ineffective pickups for the holes in our lineup. I don't think we have any more help coming from the farm system for next year except for perhaps Brent Morel.

Hey, this is a nuanced issue. There can be a plus side AND a downside to the Jackson move. I think the way some posters here talk in absolutes really lives up to the Sox slogan this year: White Sox Baseball, It's Black and White. Every move has to be absolutely a good one or absolutely a bad one!

Tragg
08-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Exactly.

thedudeabides
08-27-2010, 11:08 AM

You make some really good points here. I'm glad Hudson is doing well, but he's not doing it here. Jackson is. There is no guarantee Hudson was going to start pitching that well here, in fact all the evidence pointed to the opposite. If Hudson kept giving the Sox 4-5 innings per start, along with Freddy's falloff, and the sudden state of affairs in the bullpen, this team would already be out of contention.

And if Hudson couldn't turn it around at all this year, the Sox very well may have been looking for two starting pitchers this offseason. They already have a couple of needs to fill, so that would not have been a very envious position.

I get peoples concerns with the budget, but I think they get a little too worked up about it. There is too much information that we don't have to really get a clear picture of how his salary could hinder the Sox spending. We have no idea what this offseason is going to bring, and if Jackson keeps this up and they can't re-sign him, he just might bring us two draft picks back.

To me anyway, the most important thing is the Jackson trade improved the team this year.

cws05champ
08-27-2010, 11:16 AM

I'm with Grabeck on this one. I have no problem with getting Jackson...I just thought giving them Hudson and Holmberg was overpaying. If there was one guy I didn't want traded it was Hudson.

And you can say all you want that the Sox don't have to play small market BS, but they still have a budget (that we hear about from KW on a regular basis in the offseason). Our pitching staff, if healthy in 2011, does look good. But they will be making $48-49M just for the starting 5. That leaves the rest of the team strapped with pieces like Jones and Kotsay types.

The trade has worked out so far this year for both teams, but it's the future years that have me concerned that Hudson will turn into a great pitcher making very little $.

Since the trade:
Jackson: 28 IP, 23H, 3ER, 7BB, 34K's (0.96 ERA)
Hudson: 36.2IP, 26H, 7ER, 6BB, 36K's (1.72 ERA) I know it's the NL but still impressive for a rookie anywhere.

Pablo_Honey
08-27-2010, 12:03 PM
The trade has worked out so far this year for both teams, but it's the future years that have me concerned that Hudson will turn into a great pitcher making very little $.
While I share your concern, we have a GM whose modus operandi is "Win NOW." We constantly dish out prospects (albeit ones that amount to nothing) for veterans that will helps us make the postseason. This team is built that way and Jackson can be the difference between a posteason and an early winter vacation. Trust me, I hated this trade as much as the next guy but Jackson has shown to be a VERY capable pitcher by working with Coop. He is the shutdown pitcher we were hoping for in Peavy. This team needs to contend in short term and Jackson is the solution. Now, will Hudson come back to haunt us in the future? Maybe. But even then, if we have made postseason, then it was a trade worthwhile.

soxlady8
08-27-2010, 03:24 PM

this is my doggie Sunny , he had his lucky bandana on last night :)

Lip Man 1
08-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Tell him to keep them on for the weekend.

Lip

guillensdisciple
08-27-2010, 07:42 PM
Could Edwin be a one year rental that gets traded for a big hitter over the off season?

Sale is one of the best pitching prospects in the game, and that might be something they have though about. By fixing him, they could quarter huge demand for him on the trade market, and thus entice a bidder to give some quality hitting pieces- all while plugging in the 5th hold with a rookie that has the potential to be great.

Sam Spade
08-27-2010, 11:25 PM
.There is simply no disputing that Jackson is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Dan Hudson if both are pitching as well as they can.

Ridiculous.

TheOldRoman
08-28-2010, 01:12 AM
Ridiculous.I agree. Jackson is ridiculously better than Hudson if both are pitching up to their potential.

doublem23
08-28-2010, 01:37 AM
Ridiculous.

Seriously, bro?

Even those among us who consistently overrate our own prospects never saw Hudson as more than a #3 starter (not to say that's a bad thing), but Edwin Jackson was an elite prospect, #4 IN ALL OF BASEBALL prior to 2004, he's just never been able to put it all together.

It's only been 4 games but he's got insane "stuff." Like, nothing I've seen from any Sox pitcher since Contreras's insane run in 2005/2006. His problem, like so many other young, underperforming pitchers has been his inability to harness it.

At best, Hudson is a nice guy to have around to really fill out the middle of a rotation. At his best, Jackson is the ace of your staff.