PDA

View Full Version : Stark on Deadspin / revenue sharing / next negotiations

Lip Man 1
08-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Pretty good read. Apparently a lot of MLB executives are upset over Pittsburgh and Florida making money at their expense:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings100826

Lip

downstairs
08-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Yeah, the Pirates and Marlins essentially taking free money and not bothering to compete is disgusting.

Not sure how many NASCAR fans are on here, but there's a similar issue which has us race fans fuming. Its called start and park.

You qualify for a race (one of 43 spots)... run a few laps, and pack it up and go home. You barely need a crew and minimal equipment/tires (because you're not even going to do a pit stop).

5-6 drivers do this. Even if you come in 43rd place, you still take home some good cash. Free money, no need to compete.

fram40
08-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Pretty good read. Apparently a lot of MLB executives are upset over Pittsburgh and Florida making money at their expense:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings100826

Lip

I like Stark. His "rumblings and grumblings" are always interesting. And I knew the trivia question

This was a good read.

dickallen15
08-28-2010, 05:15 PM
It seems to me the teams that profit the most when teams like the Pirates and Marlins can longer "afford" their players are teams like the Yankees, Red Sox and Cubs, the same teams that pay these teams and help them make a profit for being awful. Seems like a conflict of interest or some sort of conspiracy to me. What's to stop these teams from saying make the deals with us and we won't fight revenue sharing in the future?

nccwsfan
08-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Yeah, the Pirates and Marlins essentially taking free money and not bothering to compete is disgusting.

Not sure how many NASCAR fans are on here, but there's a similar issue which has us race fans fuming. Its called start and park.

You qualify for a race (one of 43 spots)... run a few laps, and pack it up and go home. You barely need a crew and minimal equipment/tires (because you're not even going to do a pit stop).

5-6 drivers do this. Even if you come in 43rd place, you still take home some good cash. Free money, no need to compete.

Why anyone (fans or corporate sponsors) in Pittsburgh or Miami support their franchises after hearing this is beyond me. Even if you're loyal to your team what's the point of shelling out hard earned money to owners who have essentially said they're not going to try? At the very least you expect your team to try to win. These teams IMO are a lot worse than the Yankees and Red Sox' of the world, who aren't in it solely for the $$$.

Makes me proud to be a fan of a team that right or wrong does it's very best to win.