PDA

View Full Version : Joe Girardi

DSpivack
08-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Just saw him in Dunkin Donuts. He was with his two kids, who were arguing over who got to pick which sprinkled donuts, which was cute. I didn't want to bother him.

Probably not deserving of it's own thread, but whatever.

Lip Man 1
08-26-2010, 11:53 AM
My niece goes to school with one of his daughters, she (my niece) is going to the game Friday as Joe's guest and will be allowed down on the field during batting practice. She is looking forward to this but I told her she needs to root for the Sox regardless!

Lip

VMSNS
08-26-2010, 01:00 PM
He's supposed to be addressing the media in Chicago tomorrow about the possibility of taking on the Cubs managerial position. I can't see any reason why he'd want to leave the Yankees, but who knows.

...and while we're talking about player sightings: My broter and I saw Greg Maddux in the Bahamas about four years ago. He was waiting right in front of us in line for the waterslide at the Atlantis hotel. He was also with his kids, so we didn't want to bother him.

TheOldRoman
08-26-2010, 01:26 PM
The only way I could see Girardi leaving is if the Yankees fail to make the World Series and the Steinbrenners tear him to shred and then offer him a one year contract with the expectation he would be fired if the Yankees struggle at all. I just can't see someone leaving the best run franchise in baseball, and one he played for, to hop on that clown car up north.

palehozenychicty
08-26-2010, 01:32 PM
He's supposed to be addressing the media in Chicago tomorrow about the possibility of taking on the Cubs managerial position. I can't see any reason why he'd want to leave the Yankees, but who knows.

...and while we're talking about player sightings: My broter and I saw Greg Maddux in the Bahamas about four years ago. He was waiting right in front of us in line for the waterslide at the Atlantis hotel. He was also with his kids, so we didn't want to bother him.

To the naked eye, he'd be a nut to do so, but he hasn't really gotten the respect deserved from Yankee faithful, even with last year's title win. I still think if the Phillies had one more quality starter, they would have won it all again.

Anyhow, people still see it as Joe Torre's team because of Mariano, Jorge, Jeter, and Pettitte. I think he's a proud guy who wants to prove his expertise as a manager. That's hard to do when the system gives you unlimited advantages over the competition. John Russell of the Pirates could probably manage the Yankees to a division title.

Regardless of our point in time or decade or season, someone always thinks they can lead the Cubs to the holy grail. He may try, but it won't happen. :tongue:

TheOldRoman
08-26-2010, 01:44 PM
I still think if the Phillies had one more quality starter, they would have won it all again. No doubt in my mind. The remains of Pedro Martinez started game 2 of the World Series for them. That tell you all you need to know. Even if Hamels would have been his normal self, of even just short of terrible, they would have won.

I have never been that high on Girardi. I know it is a small sample size, but the way he botched the all-star game was ridiculous.

downstairs
08-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Like it or not, the manager that leads the Cubs to a title will be a God in Chicago. Like Ditka and Ozzie to some extent. And the Cubs have been somewhat successful as of late, so it is certainly not outside the realm of possibility that that'll win one.

TheOldRoman
08-26-2010, 03:20 PM
Like it or not, the manager that leads the Cubs to a title will be a God in Chicago. Like Ditka and Ozzie to some extent. And the Cubs have been somewhat successful as of late, so it is certainly not outside the realm of possibility that that'll win one.But Girardi has to remember that recently we saw a manager much better than he (Piniella) go down in flames after smirking about how easy it was going to be to become immortal in Chicago. Plus, the Trib did a good job of maximizing revenue and might have sold the Cubs at the right time. Early indications are that the Ricketts family is in way over its head and this wont be the financial windfall they expected.

oeo
08-26-2010, 03:41 PM
I'm sorry, if Joe Girardi wants a donut he goes to a fancy restaurant or a hotel. He's not sitting in Dunkin Donuts.

DSpivack
08-26-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm sorry, if Joe Girardi wants a donut he goes to a fancy restaurant or a hotel. He's not sitting in Dunkin Donuts.

He was there with his two kids. :shrug:

oeo
08-26-2010, 03:47 PM
He was there with his two kids. :shrug:

It's from a Seinfeld episode. Kramer sees Joe DiMaggio in "Dinky Donuts". Jerry responds with the quote above.

Joe DiMaggio in Dinky Donuts was the first thing that popped into my head when I read this.

Kramer: I just saw Joe DiMaggio in Dinky Donuts. You know, I looked in there and there he was having coffee and a donut.

Jerry: Joe DiMaggio? In Dinky Donuts?

Kramer: Yeah. Joe DiMaggio.

Jerry: I'm sorry, if Joe DiMaggio wants a donut he goes to a fancy restaurant or a hotel. He's not sitting in Dinky Donuts.

Kramer: Well maybe he likes Dinky Donuts.

Nellie_Fox
08-26-2010, 03:48 PM
I just can't see someone leaving the best run franchise in baseball...Richest? Yes. Best run? I don't know.

DSpivack
08-26-2010, 03:59 PM
It's from a Seinfeld episode. Kramer sees Joe DiMaggio in "Dinky Donuts". Jerry responds with the quote above.

Joe DiMaggio in Dinky Donuts was the first thing that popped into my head when I read this.

Ahh. I saw you typed the Seinfeld quote first, then changed your post. Pretty funny.

I wonder if Girardi's family still lives here [north suburbs], or if they're in NY.

areilly
08-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Why do people always overlook the fact that the Cubs already cast him aside, big time, in the search that led to them hiring Piniella in the first place? Does anyone really believe Girardi is enough of a sap to forget about that?

g0g0
08-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Why do people always overlook the fact that the Cubs already cast him aside, big time, in the search that led to them hiring Piniella in the first place? Does anyone really believe Girardi is enough of a sap to forget about that?

How was he cast aside big time? Just because he played for the Cubs doesn't mean he should be the top coaching pick. Especially when he only played 5 or 6 years for them. At the time he only had 1 year of coaching under his belt and had just been fired. If you had the choice of picking an experienced coach like Lou or Girardi who would you choose??

oeo
08-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Ahh. I saw you typed the Seinfeld quote first, then changed your post. Pretty funny.

I wonder if Girardi's family still lives here [north suburbs], or if they're in NY.

Yeah, I saw that line from Jerry and thought I would change it to see who recognized it and would get a good laugh out of it. Sorry for the confusion.

areilly
08-26-2010, 05:29 PM
How was he cast aside big time? Just because he played for the Cubs doesn't mean he should be the top coaching pick. Especially when he only played 5 or 6 years for them. At the time he only had 1 year of coaching under his belt and had just been fired. If you had the choice of picking an experienced coach like Lou or Girardi who would you choose??

Or I could ask "Would you choose the guy who hadn't done anything of note since a playoff loss of historic proportions in 2001 or would you choose the then-reigning NL Manager of the Year?" Whatever their reasons, Girardi got the shaft, and I hope he doesn't overlook that out of some weak sense of populist sentimentality.

Lip Man 1
08-26-2010, 05:48 PM
OEO:

His family still lives in the North suburbs. My niece goes to school with one of his kids.

Lip

VMSNS
08-26-2010, 05:58 PM
Like it or not, the manager that leads the Cubs to a title will be a God in Chicago. Like Ditka and Ozzie to some extent. And the Cubs have been somewhat successful as of late, so it is certainly not outside the realm of possibility that that'll win one.

The Cubs' window of opportunity has passed, for now. Their year to win it all was 2008, when they were the best team in the National League. The problems they're having right now are all part of the aftershock of buying a World Series team and failing to win in the postseason.

You never want to rule any team out of winning, but the Cubs are in a pretty big state of disarray right now. It's probably safe to assume that they won't be winning a WS anytime in the next 3-5 years. I do agree, though, that whoever is managing when they finally do win it again (if ever) will be considered a baseball god by the regional and national media.

palehozenychicty
08-26-2010, 06:04 PM
The Cubs' window of opportunity has passed, for now. Their year to win it all was 2008, when they were the best team in the National League. The problems they're having right now are all part of the aftershock of buying a World Series team and failing to win in the postseason.

You never want to rule any team out of winning, but the Cubs are in a pretty big state of disarray right now. It's probably safe to assume that they won't be winning a WS anytime in the next 3-5 years. I do agree, though, that whoever is managing when they finally do win it again (if ever) will be considered a baseball god by the regional and national media.

Which is why it was important for the Sox to capitalize on the momentum from that World Series win. They have only won two playoff games since that time. They have another chance to build a World Series contender. Can they do it again before the Cubs somehow win?

DumpJerry
08-26-2010, 06:05 PM

He has plenty of family here. His cousin goes to school with my friend's daughter (8th graders). When I met the girl, my friend's daughter said "this is my friend so-and-so. Her cousin once played for the Cubs" knowing how I feel about the Cubs. I asked the girl "who is your cousin?" With a smart-ass smirk (knowing how I would react), she replied "Joe Girardi." I very excitedly responded "the Yankee's Manager?" and she nodded her head while smiling. The hell with the fact he played for the Cubs, he's the Yankees' Manager (this was two years ago before they won the WS).