PDA

View Full Version : *Official* This effort shouldn't deserve a post game thread 8/25 post game thread

Domeshot17
08-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Offense lays an egg, Buehrle gets hit again, team better snap out of this funk and fast. Threets looked great.

ndgt10
08-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Great at bat in the 9th AJ!

soltrain21
08-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Can we join the NL?

Tragg
08-25-2010, 10:38 PM
They've got to get some young hitters in here.

LongLiveFisk
Losing to the Orioles sucks!!

:tantrum:

Rdy2PlayBall
I think Castro needs more starts. Play the hot bat, not the one that was good in the past. It would have made a HUGE statement to AJ if Ozzie pinch-hit Castro for him.

Foulke You
Matusz dominates us again. We went at him with an even worse plan of attack than last time. We just refuse to take soft tossing leftys into the opposite field and thus, they continue to dominate our hitters. Disappointing game. No margin of error for Buehrle tonight which is likely why he was nibbling a bit. Just win the series tomorrow please?

SoxSpeed22
The Rangers are winning, but that won't matter if we keep losing like this.

Jollyroger2
08-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Yawn. Typical gutless performance from a team that's only impressive when they're beating up on the NL or Seattle.

soxfanreggie
We continue to put ourselves behind the eight ball. A few more games like this and the Twins will put us in the corner pocket. We might have to give up something decent to get Manny, but he would be a big help in getting more people to the ballpark and would put Kotsay back on the bench and stop the platoon for DH. He may be a high-maintenance player, but he might be able to provide some fresh fuel into this team.

DirtySox
Matusz was good. Not too difficult to shut down this Sox offense though.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Yawn. Typical gutless performance from a team that's only impressive when they're beating up on the NL or Seattle.They has just a good of stretch against the AL as they did the NL...

guillensdisciple
08-25-2010, 10:43 PM
This team sucks.

beasly213
08-25-2010, 10:44 PM
Yawn. Typical gutless performance from a team that's only impressive when they're beating up on the NL or Seattle.

I hate the term "gutless" It implies they aren't trying or are afraid. They just didn't execute. It sucked but it wasn't because of lack of effort. It was because of lack of talent.

soltrain21
This team sucks.

What happened to "welcome to the pennant race, Manny!!!!!!!" from yesterday?

PeteWard
Very disappointing. I turned the game on in the 7th just "knowing" the Sox would be winning. :(:

Dan H
08-25-2010, 10:45 PM
I am glad I missed this game and I really don't care what the Twins do. It the White Sox can't win two in a row, it doesn't matter what the Twins do. I see that AJ struck out to end the game. When was the last time that guy got a big hit? I bet no one remembers. I know I don't.

guillensdisciple
08-25-2010, 10:46 PM
What happened to "welcome to the pennant race, Manny!!!!!!!" from yesterday?

The same thing that always happens, gutless performance after gutless performance.

Can't fault me for trying to keep my hope alive, but when a team pisses away opportunities they deserve to lose. If we lose this division by 1 game, I will grill this team until it's ****ing eyes pop out. Pathetic, ****ing pathetic.

BadBobbyJenks
08-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Bullpen proves to be our weakness yet again.

Good ol offense:

struck out 8 times... grounded out 5 times... 19 of 27 outs didn't leave the infield

SoxSpeed22
08-25-2010, 10:49 PM
I am glad I missed this game and I really don't care what the Twins do. It the White Sox can't win two in a row, it doesn't matter what the Twins do. I see that AJ struck out to end the game. When was the last time that guy got a big hit? I bet no one remembers. I know I don't.:walkoff:

Just answering your question. Even though it was a while ago. I think we can all agree he's pretty much done.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-25-2010, 10:50 PM
As long as the Twins lose, the Sox are in the same position they were in the day before.

Nelfox02
08-25-2010, 10:53 PM
no matter what Twinks do tonight it stings, but for me it stings even more if they lose, yeah it will be nice to stay 3.5 back, but boy does 2.5 back sound A LOT better even tho its just one game......

always rough when you have to watch such a punchless game offensively.......

JermaineDye05
08-25-2010, 10:53 PM
I really hope someone else doesn't claim Manny.

Tragg
08-25-2010, 10:56 PM
We've lost 6 games in the standings the past 6 weeks while we should have gained 6 games, based on strength of schedule.

Domeshot17
08-25-2010, 10:58 PM
I hate the term "gutless" It implies they aren't trying or are afraid. They just didn't execute. It sucked but it wasn't because of lack of effort. It was because of lack of talent.

I normally agree with you on this kind of stuff, but AJ's last at bat, there was very little effort. You could see on the strike 3, he was just expecting to K there. We didn't even get the normal AJ " I AM SO ANGRY HULK BAT SMASH ON THE GROUND" we usually get.

BringHomeDaBacon
08-25-2010, 11:00 PM
If Beckham was hitting sixth like he should be by now, HE would have been up there in the ninth instead of AJ. The fact that Ozzie continues to bury him behind AJ, Jones, Kotsay and Vizquel is ****ing ridiculous. It makes a huge difference at the end of games.

Lip Man 1
08-25-2010, 11:08 PM
Bad performance against a garbage pitcher and a garbage team. Typical from what we've seen since July 2006.

So much for a nice birthday present.

Tomorrow another unknown no-name goes for Baltimore.

Sigh.

Lip

BringHomeDaBacon
08-25-2010, 11:10 PM
Bad performance against a garbage pitcher and a garbage team. Typical from what we've seen since July 2006.

Sigh.

Lip

Happy Birthday yo - you still got plenty of night left. Go have some fun.

PeteWard
08-25-2010, 11:13 PM
Well at least the Twins lost. Ramirez with two doubles and two walks tonight vs Milwaukee so it looks like he still has it. Do I just hold my nose and hope the Sox get him? I guess so.

chisoxfanatic
08-25-2010, 11:16 PM
As long as the Twins lose, the Sox are in the same position they were in the day before.
With another day ticked off the schedule. They shouldn't be giving games away like this to the Baltimore Orioles of all teams. They're making the O's look like WS contenders! Don't they realize that there is only 1 1/3 months left in the season? We have only 36 games left...Can't be ****ing around like this. :(:

RadioheadRocks
08-25-2010, 11:18 PM

Not necessarily, if you stand still you're going backwards; meanwhile the sand in the hourglass is running down...

Quentin08
08-25-2010, 11:21 PM
Terrible game tonight. Forget about it and focus on the next game. I'm optimistic about tomorrow night. There's a very good chance we'll gain a game tomorrow night and go into the Yanks series down by 2 1/2. Twins have to face Lee.. and Sox face Arrieta who gives up a lot of walks. If we're patient at the plate, I can see us getting on the board early on and coasting to a victory.

DickAllen72
08-25-2010, 11:30 PM
I think Castro needs more starts. Play the hot bat, not the one that was good in the past. It would have made a HUGE statement to AJ if Ozzie pinch-hit Castro for him.
AJ has had a hot bat recently.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-25-2010, 11:31 PM
Not necessarily, if you stand still you're going backwards; meanwhile the sand in the hourglass is running down...We're still a long way from that, even if there isn't a lot of time left. The Sox just need to hang in there until the Twins series. If they are 3.5 back after that point... then winning every time the Twins lose matters.

fram40
08-25-2010, 11:40 PM
If we're patient at the plate

Have they ever been patient at the plate? That doesn't seem to be a feature of Walkerball. GIDPs and weak pops on first pitches are features of walkerball

Disappointing game tonight. But the Sox control their own destiny - three back in the loss column with 3 games left against those bums from Minnesota

LoveYourSuit
08-25-2010, 11:50 PM

Good ol offense:

struck out 8 times... grounded out 5 times... 19 of 27 outs didn't leave the infield

:?:

I thought Threets did ok.:scratch:

Noneck
08-25-2010, 11:52 PM
:?:

I thought Threets did ok.:scratch:

It was sarcasm.

Patrick134
08-25-2010, 11:57 PM
Don't start now, boys!

Lip Man 1
08-25-2010, 11:59 PM
Against the four worst teams in the league, the numbers say:

Baltimore: 2-4
Seattle: 9-1
Kansas City: 8-7
Cleveland: 4-8

Total: 23-20 .534

The four teams have a combined win percentage of .392...SOMEBODY is beating them...it just isn't the White Sox

Included in this are three games the Sox lost where they took a lead into the 7th inning or later. I bet they wish they had those three games back in the win column right now.

Lip

DirtySox
08-26-2010, 12:00 AM

Sigh.

Lip

Matusz is not a garbage pitcher by any stretch.

No idea who goes tomorrow though. He might be garbage.

Patrick134
08-26-2010, 12:00 AM

The four teams have a combined win percentage of .392...SOMEBODY is beating them...it just isn't the White Sox

Lip

Are you including the Mariner's in "them", because it looks like they are beating the M's.

JB98
08-26-2010, 12:03 AM
Matusz is not a garbage pitcher by any stretch.

No idea who goes tomorrow though. He might be garbage.

He has only four wins all season against teams not named the White Sox.

He was a top draft pick and all, but still, he's an unfinished product. The Sox have scored only two runs off him in 13 IP this year. That's not good enough.

Lip Man 1
08-26-2010, 12:03 AM
Dirty:

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

The guy is 6-12 (with two wins against the Sox) with an ERA of almost five.

Lip

DirtySox
08-26-2010, 12:06 AM
He has only four wins all season against teams not named the White Sox.

He was a top draft pick and all, but still, he's an unfinished product. The Sox have scored only two runs off him in 13 IP this year. That's not good enough.

Certainly.

But he has very good stuff as evidenced tonight. I thought he pitched very well.

hawkjt
08-26-2010, 12:06 AM
Picked a bad nite to go out to the park with my son tonite. We both said in the 8th that it reminded us of those games we went to in April except the tempature was around 48 instead of 68...otherwise bats were the same ...cold.

My personal winning streak of 7 stopped cold tonite. Really thought it would last the rest of the year but did not count on Matusz doing it a second time in 2.5 weeks. So many popups...ouch.
Threets was solid. MB was ok,but walked leadoff hitters twice..no excuse. Both scored. If he holds them at two, we are still playing. Everything was dead tonite..team,crowd, air. Really was surprised to see any homers cuz the ball just did not seem to fly tonite. Bad nite. Get'em tomorrow.

tstrike2000
08-26-2010, 12:15 AM
Buehrle wasn't sharp and the offense sucked, that is all.

JB98
08-26-2010, 12:15 AM
Certainly.

But he has very good stuff as evidenced tonight. I thought he pitched very well.

He's got a very good curve ball. I thought he left some changeups high, but most of those were popped up or fouled off by Sox hitters. Beckham got a high change in the sixth and crushed it. Other than that, tonight was a glaring example of why this Sox offense is not good enough.

soxlady8
08-26-2010, 12:22 AM
just got back from the Cell. BAD BAD GAME except for Threets.
Gordon's home run was pretty cool too. The team just kept popping fly balls practically all night. The energy at the CELL was really LOW. There was only 23,000 in the house.

Hopefully we can get a win tomorrow.

captain54
08-26-2010, 12:26 AM
was at the game and Andrew Jones set the tone for the sleepy offense when he grounded in the the DP with 1st and 3rd and 1 out...the Sox had a chance to strike first..after that the crowd was out of it and the Orioles looked like they had the momentum the whole game.

Andruw Jones looks useless at the plate

VMSNS
08-26-2010, 12:38 AM
3 hits off Matuz and 2 off Uehara, for a grand total of 5 hits against arguably the worst team in baseball.

Pitiful. The Sox aren't playing like a team that wants to make it to the postseason, and that makes me feel sad and disappointed.

thomas35forever
08-26-2010, 12:38 AM
Bad night for the bats. At least they made it exciting at the end. However, you're not gonna win many ballgames scoring in just two of nine innings.

guillensdisciple
08-26-2010, 01:40 AM
Teahen should probably be hitting every day. Just saying.

LITTLE NELL
08-26-2010, 07:25 AM
was at the game and Andrew Jones set the tone for the sleepy offense when he grounded in the the DP with 1st and 3rd and 1 out...the Sox had a chance to strike first..after that the crowd was out of it and the Orioles looked like they had the momentum the whole game.

Andruw Jones looks useless at the plate

The whole team is useless at the plate.

LITTLE NELL
08-26-2010, 07:30 AM
We're still a long way from that, even if there isn't a lot of time left. The Sox just need to hang in there until the Twins series. If they are 3.5 back after that point... then winning every time the Twins lose matters.

We need to be no worse than 2 games out when we play the Twins again. We have the Yankees and the BoSox in that span so we are going to have to step it up. I don't know how we can beat NY and Boston when we can't beat KC and the Orioles.

Hitmen77
08-26-2010, 08:34 AM

Good ol offense:

Amen. The Jones part of Ozzie's "dynamic duo" kills another rally.

The only good news tonight is that Buehrle and Threets did give the rest of the bullpen a night off.

KempersRS
08-26-2010, 08:38 AM
The whole team is useless at the plate.

Do you guys even watch the games? This team has been hitting the ball extremely well lately. Hell, even after having one of the worst offenses in the league to start the season, they are now in the top half of the league in almost every offensive category.

They got beat by a young talented pitcher who has yet to put it all together, but certainly has the potential (Also went 8 shutout innings against the Rangers in his last start). The bullpen disasters over the last month are the reason the team is on the outside looking in. As much as those tough losses make you want to think everyone on the team sucks, it is just not the case.

The O's put up a graphic for the game the other night that the White Sox were 3-6 in their last 9. Over those 9 games, they had 10+ hits every game and were hitting .300 with runners in scoring position. But yes, the offense gets shut down for 1 night and everyone sucks and the team is gutless.

Hitmen77
08-26-2010, 08:43 AM
They has just a good of stretch against the AL as they did the NL...

When? The only good stretch we had against AL teams (expect for when we played Seattle 7 times in 10 days) was that first week of July when we rolled against Texas, LAA, and KC.

One week nearly two months ago. There's our "good stretch" against the AL.

I completely disagree. We're 3.5 games back and the Twins took another day off the schedule in which we were playing a last place team at home and the Twins were playing a 1st place team on the road.

Jollyroger2
08-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Do you guys even watch the games? This team has been hitting the ball extremely well lately. Hell, even after having one of the worst offenses in the league to start the season, they are now in the top half of the league in almost every offensive category.

They got beat by a young talented pitcher who has yet to put it all together, but certainly has the potential (Also went 8 shutout innings against the Rangers in his last start). The bullpen disasters over the last month are the reason the team is on the outside looking in. As much as those tough losses make you want to think everyone on the team sucks, it is just not the case.

The O's put up a graphic for the game the other night that the White Sox were 3-6 in their last 9. Over those 9 games, they had 10+ hits every game and were hitting .300 with runners in scoring position. But yes, the offense gets shut down for 1 night and everyone sucks and the team is gutless.

The offense has cost the team many games this season. The pitching has cost the team many games this season. Overall, this is not a very good baseball team. Other than dominating the NL in interleague play, they've been below .500. Frankly it doesn't matter to me who is mostly at fault for the latest run of bad games. The entire operation is at fault.

TheOldRoman
08-26-2010, 10:16 AM
They has just a good of stretch against the AL as they did the NL...Right, but even though the Twins are getting their asses handed to them in Texas, where we took 2 of 3, THE SOX CAN'T WIN GAMES. Of course, the NL was so horrible that the Twins also dominated them. Oh wait.

I normally agree with you on this kind of stuff, but AJ's last at bat, there was very little effort. You could see on the strike 3, he was just expecting to K there. We didn't even get the normal AJ " I AM SO ANGRY HULK BAT SMASH ON THE GROUND" we usually get.I would have bet my house on one of AJ's patented first pitch weak grounders to 2B, followed by the helmet slam. So in a way, a horrible three pitch AB exceeded by expectations.

beasly213
08-26-2010, 10:18 AM
It sucks we lost but I'll stick to my thought process of if the Sox are 3 games back or less come September 2nd I think they still have a shot to make the last month interesting at least.

LITTLE NELL
08-26-2010, 10:24 AM

As far as hitting this team since 2005 has clicked on all cylinders only the first half of 2006 and June and July of this year. Even 2008 left something to be disired. For some reason they just can't sustain a solid run producing offense. I know that good pitching will beat good hitting but it seems like we get beat by guys who have high ERAs but look like Cy Young against us.

PS I only get to see them when they are on WGN, but I know this; we beat the **** out of the NL teams and are under .500 against the AL and we have 10 games left against the Yankees and Red Sox. Not too encouraging.

captain54
08-26-2010, 10:53 AM

the numbers are deceiving....the Sox hit in bunches, but missed opportunities is something that has plagued them all year...case in point, Jones grounds into DP with with first and third and one out, AJ strikes out as the tying run on three pitches.

the bullpen is allowed absolutely no margin for error.....games have gone into extras when scoring opportunities are missed, when in reality we had no business being in extras.

I would say the offensive failures outweigh pitching deficiencies if you average it out over the course of 2010

hawkjt
08-26-2010, 10:55 AM
They flashed a stat on the scoreboard last nite that the Sox have 10+ hits in the last ten games for the longest streak of that nature for the Sox since 1967,I believe. The team has been hitting the ball well even thru this bad streak of baseball. To me, winning is winning, no matter how you do it. In 2005 and 2008, they won. We can still win this year,and that is how I measure the team.

As for Matusz, he is on a great streak. His season stats mean zip. Opposing fans looked at Gavin Floyd's overall numbers in June and July and were puzzled how he shut them down with a 1.09 ERA over 12 starts and was AL Pitcher of the Month in July. Matusz is having his run right now, as a very high 1st rd draft pick,he has the talent,like Gavin.

Gotta go out and get Arrieta tonite. Time to go,Sox.

captain54
08-26-2010, 11:10 AM
They flashed a stat on the scoreboard last nite that the Sox have 10+ hits in the last ten games for the longest streak of that nature for the Sox since 1967,I believe. .

again, numbers are deceiving....a typical Sox scenario would be a single, caught stealing, single, single, double play....that's three hits with no runs scored.

LoveYourSuit
08-26-2010, 11:14 AM
again, numbers are deceiving....a typical Sox scenario would be a single, caught stealing, single, single, double play....that's three hits with no runs scored.

Need that run producer in the middle, badly.

KempersRS
08-26-2010, 11:38 AM
the numbers are deceiving....the Sox hit in bunches, but missed opportunities is something that has plagued them all year...case in point, Jones grounds into DP with with first and third and one out, AJ strikes out as the tying run on three pitches.

the bullpen is allowed absolutely no margin for error.....games have gone into extras when scoring opportunities are missed, when in reality we had no business being in extras.

I would say the offensive failures outweigh pitching deficiencies if you average it out over the course of 2010

If you average it out over the course of 2010, the pitching has been worse than the hitting. People still have April and May stuck in their heads when this team was pitching lights out and couldn't score to save their lives. The pitching hasn't been as good as you think.

They are 15th in ERA and 14th in WHIP. Buehrle has been average, Floyd was so dreadful to start the year, but has been very strong in in the 2nd half, overall he has been OK. Freddy sucks, Peavy wasn't pitching very well while he was around, and only Danks has been consistently good. It's just not like our poor pitching staff has been screwed over all year by the offense. They have done an average job, but all the blame goes on the offense.

For the most part, Thornton, Putz, and Santos have been fine, but they have certainly come back down to earth in recent weeks.

Meanwhile they are 8th in OPS and 10th in runs scored. You can point to your examples of double plays and strike outs in big spots, but that happens to every team at times. It's just frustrating to watch, so it stands out in your mind and makes you forgot that the offense hasn't been that bad.

You want to blame the offense for not bailing out our pitching staff, but honestly every offense is going to have down days and over the course of a season you need some wins where the pitching staff bails out the offense. When was the last time that happened for the Sox? They have lost 10 straight when they have scored 1-3 runs. Obviously you aren't going to have a great record in those games, but you need to win a couple of them.

kittle42
08-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Hey, this team at least leaves us one thing to do: argue about what they suck the most at!

Nellie_Fox
08-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Hey, this team at least leaves us one thing to do: argue about what they suck the most at!Apparently you've forgotten what a White Sox team that really sucks looks like. This team is frustrating, but they don't suck.

Crestani
08-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Apparently you've forgotten what a White Sox team that really sucks looks like. This team is frustrating, but they don't suck.

Either that or they are not old enough to remember the teams from the 70's..??

SI1020
08-26-2010, 12:40 PM

Included in this are three games the Sox lost where they took a lead into the 7th inning or later. I bet they wish they had those three games back in the win column right now.

Lip Take Seattle out of that mix and it's really lousy.

russ99
08-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Need that run producer in the middle, badly.

What good is that when nobody gets on base?

5 hits won't win a ballgame even if you have the Yankees lineup.

Dick Allen
08-26-2010, 12:46 PM
In baseball, losing, like winning, is a team effort. You may want to pinpoint one aspect of the team over another, but really, all facets of the team are involved at one point or another.

SI1020
08-26-2010, 12:54 PM
In baseball, losing, like winning, is a team effort. You may want to pinpoint one aspect of the team over another, but really, all facets of the team are involved at one point or another. Very true. I also believe that really good teams are able to get all gears meshing for long stretches of the season. The Sox just don't seem to do this and the record over the last four seasons or so reflects it.

Coops4Aces
08-26-2010, 01:09 PM
In baseball, losing, like winning, is a team effort. You may want to pinpoint one aspect of the team over another, but really, all facets of the team are involved at one point or another.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

delben91
08-26-2010, 01:35 PM

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

There's no "I" in TEAM.

tstrike2000
08-26-2010, 01:41 PM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:n78V75cQQC9cbM:http://www.chrisboy.com/theo/theo_huxtable.jpg&t=1
"A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. Don't be that weak link."

FielderJones
08-26-2010, 03:07 PM
There's no "I" in TEAM.

http://www.housemd-guide.com/images/house.jpg
"There's no I in 'team'. There's a me, though, if you jumble it up"