PDA

View Full Version : Left fielder, Roy Oswalt

08-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Roy Oswalt is currently playing LF for the Phillies. Game is into the 14th inning.

Coops4Aces
08-24-2010, 10:54 PM
And he made a catch lol

y2j2785
08-24-2010, 11:14 PM
I'm not watching so may I ask what happened that he had to play LF? Injury to an outfielder or ejection?

Coops4Aces
08-24-2010, 11:17 PM
I'm not watching so may I ask what happened that he had to play LF? Injury to an outfielder or ejection?
Ryan Howard ejected with no bench players remaining. Idiot.

y2j2785
08-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Ryan Howard ejected with no bench players remaining. Idiot.

Was he arguing balls and strikes or did he throw his helmet down or something?

Coops4Aces
08-24-2010, 11:27 PM
Was he arguing balls and strikes or did he throw his helmet down or something?

Yup, balls and strikes

Coops4Aces
08-24-2010, 11:29 PM
That was so strange. Philles down 2 in the 16th with a man on 1st and 2 outs. Rollins is intentionally walked (the tying run) to bring up Oswalt. Howard should feel like he blew his team a game tonight.

Huisj
08-24-2010, 11:35 PM
Yup, balls and strikes

Two called check swing calls by the third base ump in a row. He barked about the first one, and then barked more and threw his bat on the second and got tossed immediately. On the replays it looked like he went both times; fairly close calls, but he did appear to cross the magic point.

08-24-2010, 11:45 PM
Two called check swing calls by the third base ump in a row. He barked about the first one, and then barked more and threw his bat on the second and got tossed immediately. On the replays it looked like he went both times; fairly close calls, but he did appear to cross the magic point.

Probably venting the frustration of his 0-7, 5K night.

Marqhead
08-24-2010, 11:47 PM

Ahhhh the platinum sombrero. A rare feat, but never unreachable by Howard, extras or no extras.

thomas35forever
08-24-2010, 11:51 PM
I find this funny because I just recently learned that Ron Guidry played center field in the continuation of the Pine Tar Game.

PeteWard
08-25-2010, 12:31 AM

:o: That's more like Curley Howard's line.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-25-2010, 12:44 AM

Awesome night for my fantasy team right there.

Hitmen77
08-25-2010, 09:03 AM
I find this funny because I just recently learned that Ron Guidry played center field in the continuation of the Pine Tar Game.

I seem to remember a few instances in the past when a manager wanted to pull a pitcher for one batter and then bring him back. So, he moved the pitcher to the OF, brought in another pitcher to face one batter, and then returned the first pitcher and brought in a new OF.

I haven't seen that done in a long time. Does anyone else here remember seeing that practice? Do managers do that anymore?

Coops4Aces
08-25-2010, 09:12 AM
I seem to remember a few instances in the past when a manager wanted to pull a pitcher for one batter and then bring him back. So, he moved the pitcher to the OF, brought in another pitcher to face one batter, and then returned the first pitcher and brought in a new OF.

I haven't seen that done in a long time. Does anyone else here remember seeing that practice? Do managers do that anymore?

Lou Piniella did that a year or two ago...

Yep, I thought it was during a Sunday DH against St. Louis and bingo: http://espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=290712316

Chez
08-25-2010, 09:41 AM

It was not uncommon in the 60's -- happened at least a few times a year.

FielderJones
08-25-2010, 11:32 AM

I wonder what would happen if that was done to facilitate a retaliation HBP.

soxfanreggie
08-25-2010, 11:43 AM
The record for K's in an extra inning game is 6 (done by 8 different players). The last player to do it was Geoff Jenkins in 2004 who K'd 6 times in a 17 inning game, but I could see Howard hitting that in 11 or 12 innings. I could see Howard striking out 7 times in a long extra-inning affair and taking the record all to himself.

Whitesox029
08-25-2010, 11:59 AM
Well Roy just earned himself an extra entry into the next edition of the Baseball Encyclopedia under the player register, which is pretty cool.
On another note, I wonder if Charlie Manuel is the kind of manager to bench Howard for today's game, even in the middle of a pennant race. On the one hand, Halladay's pitching for the Phils today, and the Astros would be lucky to score so much as a run. On the other hand, the Phillies are not leading the division, they're 2.5 out. When you're trying to gain ground quickly it might not be worth it to be teaching lessons. It was probably bad enough that Oswalt came up in Howard's spot to make the last out of the game.

KenBerryGrab
08-25-2010, 01:30 PM
That ump totally baited Howard, and the calls were both very close.

In that situation, in extra innings, in a pennant race, as an ump you turn your back and walk away.

Coops4Aces
08-25-2010, 01:49 PM

In that situation, in extra innings, in a pennant race, as an ump you turn your back and walk away.

No doubt about it. People get upset about calls all the time, that doesn't mean they should get ejected.

downstairs
08-25-2010, 03:29 PM
No doubt about it. People get upset about calls all the time, that doesn't mean they should get ejected.

There's technically zero tolerance on arguing balls and strikes. Even if you question the call in a calm manner, you're liable to get tossed. Thems the rules.

Coops4Aces
08-25-2010, 03:32 PM
There's technically zero tolerance on arguing balls and strikes. Even if you question the call in a calm manner, you're liable to get tossed. Thems the rules.

The term "spirit of the rule" comes to mind

downstairs
08-26-2010, 05:33 PM
The term "spirit of the rule" comes to mind

I always thought the spirit of the rule was, indeed, that it is zero tollerance. Because there are so many pitches in a game 200-250, arguing one pitch just slows everything down and isn't going to help your cause.

Plus, Howard didn't just grumble... he threw a fit. You KNOW you're outta there.

Taliesinrk
08-26-2010, 06:16 PM

sounds like you've been hanging out with Joe West...

Coops4Aces
08-26-2010, 06:22 PM
I always thought the spirit of the rule was, indeed, that it is zero tollerance. Because there are so many pitches in a game 200-250, arguing one pitch just slows everything down and isn't going to help your cause.

Plus, Howard didn't just grumble... he threw a fit. You KNOW you're outta there.
He threw a fit AFTER he got ejected. He got ejected for pretty much nothing.

fox23
08-26-2010, 06:55 PM

Or in that situation, in extra innings, in a pennant race, and with nobody left on your bench, as a player you turn your back and walk away so this never becomes an issue.

Coops4Aces
08-26-2010, 07:01 PM
Or in that situation, in extra innings, in a pennant race, and with nobody left on your bench, as a player you turn your back and walk away so this never becomes an issue.

He tossed his bat and started walking to first. It was a AAA ump who didn't know how to handle himself.