dwitt76
08-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Dare I say our closer is back?

Soxman219
08-24-2010, 10:09 PM
:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance: :bandance::bandance:

MARTINMVP
Perhaps some weird mojo came to Bobby as a result of ESPN.com putting him on their home page earlier tonight.

Way too close to call tonight, but a win is a win and they needed it!

Rocky Soprano
WOW! My heart can't take much more of this.

:bandance:

doublem23
Don't stop now, boys

Tlou_2lMLAc

vinny
Ugh. I feel sick. But we managed to hold on. This was a big one.

SoxSpeed22
08-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Just when it looked like no lead was safe with the bullpen struggling. Bobby is starting to get his groove back.
Big home run from Beckham and nice rally in the 8th. Gaining a game is a bonus too. Let's do it again.

LoveYourSuit
He was in the doghouse, but let him come out now.

Welcome back.

But boy, do we have major bullpen issues.

You ask your starter to go 7, and he did. But wow, this was rough.

That's the win of the year for us!

3.5 out, 3 in the loss column. Let's sweep these ****ers.

rookie
Yea Sox! Perfect way to end the first day of school with students. Sox keep winning, Twins start your losing streak, we're gonna take our lead back.

BadBobbyJenks
08-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Talk about a fine line between a disaster and a fantastic win.

Bobby Jenks has totally been using Body by Jake, I can tell.

voodoochile
The man just pitches better with a chip on his shoulder. Did I actually seem him running to the mound to take the ball when Putz left? Has to feel good having all those people chanting your name and you know that Bobby wants to be the closer and he wants to succeed. Great effort, Bobby...

Oh and even with those two baserunning blunders, nice job for Gordon and Juan too.

AJ over .250...
Pierre over .280...

Offense is doing good recently. Need that same performance from the pitchers and the Sox will be fine.

3 back in the loss column isn't bad at all...

:soxwin:

:)

kevingrt
*** was that... Jesus Christ.

Down to what Jenks, Linebrink, Sale, Pena, Threet? Harrell, Torres? Claim Fuentes? SOMETHIGN!!!!!!!!!!

doublem23
08-24-2010, 10:13 PM
What this thread needs is more music.

rfUYuIVbFg0

Dan H
08-24-2010, 10:14 PM
Jenks showed some real guts out there.

It is getting to the point where I have to wear rubber pants watching this bullpen. Up 5 and we have to sweat it out. The win was great, but that 9th inning was awful. Not good at all but the offense did well.

GlassSox
08-24-2010, 10:14 PM
Excellent starting pitching and then a great job by Jenks to get the save.

JB98
08-24-2010, 10:15 PM
Send Putz to the DL. Bring up a fresh arm for the bullpen. Anyone will do.

And give Jenks the ****ing ball in the ninth inning. No more of this committee bull****. Win or lose the division with Jenks as the closer.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-24-2010, 10:16 PM
Juan .282?
Teahen .270?

This team is fixing itself offensively, we just need AJ and TCQ to get hot and the offense could be set (Manny could help though :tongue:). The bullpen is having trouble, but Jenks has looked good lately.

nccwsfan
08-24-2010, 10:16 PM
And just like that they've gained 1 1/2 games in the standings. It's hard to envision, especially the way they've played lately, but this is a 162 game season and this one is going to go down to the final week. Be prepared to continue this roller coaster for another 5 weeks.

Way to go Bobby!

ChiSoxGirl
08-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Mercy, that was close!!!! Thank God Bobby came on and was able to be the beast we know he can be.

I agree with JB98... DL Putz. This is, what, the third time he's had to leave the game because of his knee? DL him and replace his arm in the 'pen, it's that simple.

shingo10
08-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Finally we win the first game of a series!

Good stuff. Well not the little bullpen implosion but as long as we win and the twins don't then it's a good night.

Let's get Thornton back soon. Please.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Thomas is talking about what happened in Beackham's previous at-bat... a little Hawk rubbed off on him.

WhiteSox5187
Don't stop now!

Christ, it's not supposed to be that hard to win a god damn ballgame! Our bullpen is just gassed. Putz and Thornton are hurt, Santos is out of gas. The key to us winning this year from here on out is going to be Bobby Jenks. This is his last hurrah. Don't let us down big man!

thomas35forever
I agree with JB98... DL Putz. This is, what, the third time he's had to leave the game because of his knee? DL him and replace his arm in the 'pen, it's that simple.
Yeah. Our 'pen is in bad enough shape. We don't need anymore bull**** from it. We need all the help we can get right now.

vinny
So now what? DL Putz and maybe Thrornton, activate Threets, call up Braun?

Lip Man 1
08-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Like my late father used to say, "they can't stand prosperity..."

Oh well, a win is a win but now you can add Santos into the 'what's going on?' column regarding Sox relief pitchers.

Anybody know anything on Putz? Did he tweek it again?

http://southparkrecall.com/Graphics/Characters/Kids/Page3/Tweek.jpg

Lip

WhiteSox5187
08-24-2010, 10:20 PM
Like my late father used to say, "they can't stand prosperity..."

Oh well, a win is a win but now you can add Santos into the 'what's going on?' column regarding Sox relief pitchers.

Anybody know anything on Putz? Did he tweek it again?

http://southparkrecall.com/Graphics/Characters/Kids/Page3/Tweek.jpg

Lip

I kind of feel like Tweek every time I watch the Sox bullpen. "Oh God!"

BadBobbyJenks
08-24-2010, 10:20 PM
^^^ I couldn't believe my eyes at first and then I read his post lol.

kevingrt
08-24-2010, 10:23 PM
Two arms coming up tomorrow... I assume Threets and someone else. Per Ozzie he didn't know the names yet.

ChiSoxGirl
Yeah. Our 'pen is in bad enough shape. We don't need anymore bull**** from it. We need all the help we can get right now.

Absolutely. While Sale's last few outings have been promising, he logged quite a few innings earlier in the year while starting in college. The bullpen is gassed and a fresh arm can only be a good thing.

JB98
So now what? DL Putz and maybe Thrornton, activate Threets, call up Braun?

Time to bring up Threets. DL Putz. Hold the line on Thornton for a couple more days.

hawkjt
08-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Gavin and Gordo....thank you!! and Sale and Bobby were huge.

Bullpen in disarray: Thornton not available til Friday at earliest.
Putz is probably going on DL...I would think.
Threats on the way up.
We have to get thru these 5 games...til Sept 1,when we can call up bodies.
Tomorrow and Thursday,we need more big games from MB and Jackson.
I shudder to think about the Yanks this weekend, we will need the offense to mash to win.

AlexRios51

Bobby Jenks has totally been using Body by Jake, I can tell.
:rolling::roflmao:

Nelfox02
any word on Threets? sorta the forgotten man since he got put on DL, but he showed some positive signs.........sure could use him now

ChiSoxGal85
08-24-2010, 10:27 PM
I can't take any more of these close games, at least without Maalox.

The offense did its job, and the pen almost blew it. Again. Thank heavens for the Triumphant Return of Bobby Jenks tonight.

mcsoxfan
08-24-2010, 10:31 PM
*** was that... Jesus Christ.

Down to what Jenks, Linebrink, Sale, Pena, Threet? Harrell, Torres? Claim Fuentes? SOMETHIGN!!!!!!!!!!

Bobby freakin' Jenks....Please

That's what you clueless Sox fans will saying the next time that clown of a manager uses him to close out a 1 run game and blows it....

THIS TEAM HAS NO CLOSER.

Coops4Aces
08-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Threets is good to go. He is being reinstated.

As for a 2nd guy? Torres? Randy Williams? Ryan Braun?

DonnieDarko
08-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Jesus.

H.

****ing.

Christ.

I almost had a damned heart attack. It was quite encouraging to see Jenks do what he did, and even I could feel the confidence flowing off him while the crowd was chanting his name. Man, what a finish...I hope that he can continue to do what he's done.

Lip Man 1
08-24-2010, 10:33 PM
Kevin:

If two arms are coming up, who is going down or to the DL?

Lip

DonnieDarko
08-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Kevin:

If two arms are coming up, who is going down or to the DL?

Lip

Putz to the DL...but I don't know who else goes. Maybe Thornton? I've gotta believe that they're just going to bring up one arm.

Lip Man 1
08-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Thornton's MRI was clean (although so was Putz's...)

Lip

Tragg
08-24-2010, 10:49 PM
So what happened to Putz?

Threet didn't pitch badly

JB98
08-24-2010, 10:50 PM
So what happened to Putz?

Threet didn't pitch badly

Same crap as last week. Sore right knee.

TDog
08-24-2010, 10:50 PM
Juan .282?
Teahen .270?

This team is fixing itself offensively, we just need AJ and TCQ to get hot and the offense could be set (Manny could help though :tongue:). The bullpen is having trouble, but Jenks has looked good lately.

You're just looking at the season averages. When you see Pierre over .280 and you see Ramirez over .290 and you see Vizquel over .290, and Beckham just hitting over .250, consider where those averages were a couple of months ago and how well these guys have had to hit to get them to where they are looking respectable for the season. Coming into today's game, Pierzynski was hitting .309 for August. Beckham was hitting .288 after hitting .354 for July. Ramirez hit .351 in July and was hitting .301 for August. Some people are still convince that Pierre can't hit because he was below .200 for April, but he hit .300 for July and was hitting .348 for August. Even Kotsay is hitting .298 for August.

This offense has been playing a lot better than people realize.

The biggest problem tonight was Santos, who might need to just take a seat at the back of the bullpen for awhile, perhaps throwing some on the side. I don't know if he is mentally fatigued or physically fatigued. I doubt that the scouting reports have caught up with him. If that were the case, he wouldn't have lost it a couple of months ago. I am hoping Putz just needs to rest.

It would help if the starters went deeper into games. Tonight Pavano pitched a complete game tonight to give the Twins bullpen some rest, but it may have cost the Twins a game because he gave up a late run. It's good to see Jenks back, though. Technically that wasn't a tough save because he didn't come in with the tying run on base (although if he had thrown a ball and walked the first hitter, the walk would have been charged to Putz, and that would have put the typing run on base). Still, it was a gutsy save against the Orioles, a team some people believe owns him.

When Jenks left the game with a back problem, someone here speculated that it might be the end of Bobby Jenks in a White Sox uniform. Instead, he may have caught his second wind. If Putz and Thornton can find theirs, this team could be tough to beat down the stretch.

ChiSoxGirl
08-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Thornton and Putz to the DL, per Rongey. :cower:

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-24-2010, 10:54 PM
Thornton and Putz to the DL, per Rongey. :cower:

Can Manny Ramirez pitch?

Threets has to be coming up. I would take a look at Braun too. He's done a pretty decent job so far. I think Torres pitched last night, so he won't be an option.

JB98
08-24-2010, 10:58 PM
Can Manny Ramirez pitch?

Threets has to be coming up. I would take a look at Braun too. He's done a pretty decent job so far. I think Torres pitched last night, so he won't be an option.

You'd figure either him or Randy Williams. FWIW, Braun has 56 Ks in 53 IP. Pretty decent job of missing bats at the AAA level.

The Sox are probably going to have to start using Pena in more late-inning situations. The seventh inning was his role in Arizona.

WhiteSox5187
08-24-2010, 11:00 PM
You'd figure either him or Randy Williams. FWIW, Braun has 56 Ks in 53 IP. Pretty decent job of missing bats at the AAA level.

The Sox are probably going to have to start using Pena in more late-inning situations. The seventh inning was his role in Arizona.

Linebrink might also start getting the call. He is not my first choice, but he at least has shown he can get major league hitters out.

Lip Man 1
08-24-2010, 11:01 PM
If true I've very surprised by Thornton's move.

What does this do considering the August 31st deadline, if they aren't on the big league roster normally they wouldn't be available for the postseason no?

Lip

ChiSoxGirl
08-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Linebrink might also start getting the call. He is not my first choice, but he at least has shown he can get major league hitters out.

Well, that's debatable. :tongue:

hawkjt
08-24-2010, 11:03 PM
You're just looking at the season averages. When you see Pierre over .280 and you see Ramirez over .290 and you see Vizquel over .290, and Beckham just hitting over .250, consider where those averages were a couple of months ago and how well these guys have had to hit to get them to where they are looking respectable for the season. Coming into today's game, Pierzynski was hitting .309 for August. Beckham was hitting .288 after hitting .354 for July. Ramirez hit .351 in July and was hitting .301 for August. Some people are still convince that Pierre can't hit because he was below .200 for April, but he hit .300 for July and was hitting .348 for August. Even Kotsay is hitting .298 for August.

This offense has been playing a lot better than people realize.

The biggest problem tonight was Santos, who might need to just take a seat at the back of the bullpen for awhile, perhaps throwing some on the side. I don't know if he is mentally fatigued or physically fatigued. I doubt that the scouting reports have caught up with him. If that were the case, he wouldn't have lost it a couple of months ago. I am hoping Putz just needs to rest.

It would help if the starters went deeper into games. Tonight Pavano pitched a complete game tonight to give the Twins bullpen some rest, but it may have cost the Twins a game because he gave up a late run. It's good to see Jenks back, though. Technically that wasn't a tough save because he didn't come in with the tying run on base (although if he had thrown a ball and walked the first hitter, the walk would have been charged to Putz, and that would have put the typing run on base). Still, it was a gutsy save against the Orioles, a team some people believe owns him.

When Jenks left the game with a back problem, someone here speculated that it might be the end of Bobby Jenks in a White Sox uniform. Instead, he may have caught his second wind. If Putz and Thornton can find theirs, this team could be tough to beat down the stretch.

Nailed it,as usual. I think putting JJ and Thornton on the DL is the only move they could make. Now, Thornton has not pitched for 6 days so he could be back by Sept 3,which is the Boston series.
Putz will not be back til Sept 8, but if healthy these two guys could be strong,and in the groove by the time the twins roll in on Sept 14.

Of course, the Sox have to find a way to hang around right where they are til then...three games back in the loss column.

That road trip to Cleveland, Boston,and Detroit will be big. Then a lot of home games the rest of the way,cept for that Oakland,Angels road trip.

JB98
08-24-2010, 11:04 PM

Yeah, they are going to have to start pitching Linebrink in more pressure spots, too. He's not anybody's first choice for the setup role, but it sounds like the "first choice" guys are headed to the DL. Time for ol' Liney to step up and earn that hefty paycheck.

If they DL Thornton, it can be retroactive to Aug. 17. He can come back when the calendar turns to September, so he'd be out just a week more. (Hopefully.)

Tragg
08-24-2010, 11:04 PM
Teahen's hitting the ball reasonably well...is it possible to just let him play for a while?

Coops4Aces
08-24-2010, 11:05 PM

What does this do considering the August 31st deadline, if they aren't on the big league roster normally they wouldn't be available for the postseason no?

Lip

Injuries don't count.

GoGoCrede
08-24-2010, 11:06 PM
Just got home. What a fun game! Bobby Jenks really, really redeemed himself. He got a huge cheer when he emerged from the pen. That said, we really shouldn't have needed him. Shouldn't have come that close. But oh well.

It's nice to beat the Orioles for a change. Mr Floyd, you were awesome! Just what we needed.

GoGoCrede
08-24-2010, 11:15 PM
Also, it was really very nice hearing our fans cheer after Gene announced that the Rangers had taken the lead over the Twins. It's fun scoreboard watching at the park in these late months. Unless of course the Twins win. :cool:

TDog
08-24-2010, 11:21 PM

Lip

As I understand it (and this has been the case in the past, although I don't keep up closely on personnel rules), a player on the disabled list, at least the 15-day disabled list, is considered a member of the team for purposes of postseason eligibility. The postseason rosters are not set on August 31. However, teams are limited from acquiring players from outside the organization for postseason purposes after August 31.

Teams often have to decide who will be on their postseason rosters because they don't simply have the August 31 rosters frozen. In 2002, Francisco Rodriguez was a postseason pitching star for the Angels, and he didn't even make his major league debut until Sept. 18 of that season. I have no idea when he was actually added to the Angels roster, though.

My guess is you can disable Putz and Thornton through the beginning of the month, and if the Sox make the postseason, the competition for the pitching staff will include Threets, Sale and Harrell and whoever else the Sox bring up before the deadline.

mzh
08-24-2010, 11:23 PM
If Thornton is going to the DL, how about trying to pick up Brian Fuentes off waivers? He can close too, if need be, although he is overpaid.

Zisk77
08-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Injuries don't count.

Correct, which is why sometimes people are put on the dl for mystery injuries so more people can be post season eligible for greater options.

manders_01
08-24-2010, 11:26 PM
Just got home. What a fun game! Bobby Jenks really, really redeemed himself. He got a huge cheer when he emerged from the pen. That said, we really shouldn't have needed him. Shouldn't have come that close. But oh well.

It's nice to beat the Orioles for a change. Mr Floyd, you were awesome! Just what we needed.

I hoped you were at the game! Glad you had a good time! :bandance:

GoGoCrede
08-24-2010, 11:32 PM
I hoped you were at the game! Glad you had a good time! :bandance:

Me too, girl! I had a good feeling about this game. As I was flipping out in the 9th, I imagined how you guys were doing in the game thread.

TheOldRoman
08-24-2010, 11:43 PM

Bobby Jenks has totally been using Body by Jake, I can tell.On another note, I think Putz' recent bad pitching AND his knee injury can be chalked up to all the weight he put on over the last 3 weeks. He and Thornton need to stop punishing the buffets on the road.

LipThose two would still be eligible for the postseason because they were still on the 25 man roster. Also, the pitchers they bring up for their spots will be eligible since they are on the team on August 31.

johnnyg83
08-24-2010, 11:54 PM
It is nearly beyond belief that we are only 3.5 games out.

Thanks, Bobby. Thanks Gordon. Thanks Sale.

jcw218
08-25-2010, 12:08 AM

Lip

To be available for the playoffs, a player needs to be on the active roster or the DL by August 31.

slavko
08-25-2010, 12:08 AM
I can't take any more of these close games, at least without Maalox.

The offense did its job, and the pen almost blew it. Again. Thank heavens for the Triumphant Return of Bobby Jenks tonight.

Sign Greg Maalox for the bullpen. I was there, strangely calm in the 9th. I knew I'd stop getting cardiac arrest one of these years.

A LOT of seeing eye grounders got through the infield for us. That could make any offense look good. Bobby impressed. Came in 3-0 to face Wigginton, thought he'd have the green light as the tying run, knew he'd be getting a fastball, got it at 95 and fouled it straight back. Baseball is the greatest game of them all.

Foulke You
08-25-2010, 01:21 AM
I think Santos has developed a mechanical flaw in his delivery. Both Hawk and Stone pointed out that he was flying open with his delivery on every pitch. He had virtually no command of his slider or changeup and his fastball was hit or miss as well. I don't pretend to be an expert on pitching mechanics but even I can see something doesn't look right about the way Santos is delivering the pitch lately. Frankly, I'm surprised it has taken this long for Santos to develop his first "glitch". The kid has never pitched until this season and now it is up to Don Cooper to earn his money and correct this problem because we'll need Santos down the stretch.

Foulke You
08-25-2010, 01:27 AM
Not since the first half of 2008 has Linebrink shown that ability. There is a reason Linebrink is in the "mop-up" only role. I have zero confidence in him during close games. Line's fastball is too straight and he doesn't change speeds enough to get by in the American League. He simply can't be trusted in a division race.

salty99
08-25-2010, 01:44 AM
The second arm rumored to be coming up is Lucas Harrell

DonnieDarko
08-25-2010, 01:49 AM
The second arm coming up is Lucas Harrell

Is that the rookie that spot started for us for one game after we traded away Hudson?

salty99
08-25-2010, 01:50 AM
Is that the rookie that spot started for us for one game after we traded away Hudson?

Yes

DonnieDarko
08-25-2010, 01:51 AM
Huh. Not a bad idea to bring him back up, I guess. Where are you getting your info from, though?

salty99
08-25-2010, 01:53 AM
Huh. Not a bad idea to bring him back up, I guess. Where are you getting your info from, though?

I'll change it to rumored until it becomes official.

Craig Grebeck
08-25-2010, 07:50 AM
If they really want to be in this thing, they should put guys in the bullpen on their side session day. It'll keep **** like Linebrink and Torres out of high-leverage situations.

hawkjt
08-25-2010, 08:20 AM
If rumors hold then the bullpen going into these next ten days could be:

Bobby- please god,let him stay in a groove with no injuries.
Sale- rookie revelation, right now,our #2 guy,unbelievably
Sergio- has mechanical flaw right now, Coop must fix ASAP
Pena- looks ok as long relief,must step up in pecking order
Liney- need some innings,preferably scoreless,no faith in him,tho.
Threets- he was decent, need him to be that good again
Harrell- takes Pena role,long man,or whatever Sox require,be a hero,Lucas

It is what it is ,as they say.
Never in my wildest imagination would I think that a kid we drafted in June would end up being our #1 or #1A guy out of our bullpen.
If the Sox can get thru the 10 game road trip to Clev,Boston,and Det, within striking distance, they could be ok....but that is a big if.

DonnieDarko
08-25-2010, 08:23 AM
*Threets

Chez
08-25-2010, 08:23 AM
If they really want to be in this thing, they should put guys in the bullpen on their side session day. It'll keep **** like Linebrink and Torres out of high-leverage situations.

If both Thornton and Putz are out, this weekend's series against the Yankees could get real ugly -- especially if Santos can't be fixed quickly. NYY feasts on pitchers who can't or won't throw strikes. Same with Boston. Acquiring another reliable arm in the bullpen right now is more important than acquiring Manny.

October26
08-25-2010, 10:37 AM
I loved hearing the Bo-bby! Bo-bby! Bo-bby! chant in the 9th inning last night. Kudos to Sox fans who were at that game. That was awesome! And of course, I'm ecstatic because Bobby came through and looked like his old self. :D: Gavin also pitched great. Yay! :D:

That was a critical win for the Sox last night; now keep winning! Go Sox!

tstrike2000
08-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Ugh to Santos, but everything else :thumbsup: