PDA

View Full Version : Sosa claims Cubs 'threw me into the fire'

cub killer
08-23-2010, 08:19 PM
http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/September-2010/Sammy-Sosa-Cubs-Threw-Me-into-the-FIre/index.php?cparticle=1&siarticle=0#artanc

Chicago Magazine reports: Sammy Sosa continues to duck questions about steroids and blames the Cubs for making him unpopular with his former fan base in Chicago.

TheCommander
08-23-2010, 08:35 PM
http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/September-2010/Sammy-Sosa-Cubs-Threw-Me-into-the-FIre/index.php?cparticle=1&siarticle=0#artanc

Chicago Magazine reports: Sammy Sosa continues to duck questions about steroids and blames the Cubs for making him unpopular with his former fan base in Chicago.

When I saw the article quoted Dave Craplan(Ever heard of FRANK THOMAS, you idiot!), I just skimmed the rest.

g0g0
08-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Whatever Sammy...:rolleyes: I think you did that allll yourself.

Noneck
08-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Way too much reading about something I dont care about but Sosa does look quite pale these days.

cards press box
08-23-2010, 09:23 PM
The Cubs are anything but innocents in this whole affair. It is undeniable that the Cubs were o.k. with the whole "Sammy show" as long as it was popular with the fans. By 2005, however, the bloom was definitely off the Sosa/McGwire rose (remember, the testimony of Sosa and McGwire before Congress on St. Patrick's Day, 2005?) and the Cubs decided it was time to exile Sosa. So, Sammy may well have a point that the Cubs did "throw him into the fire."

thomas35forever
08-23-2010, 09:29 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

MARTINMVP
08-23-2010, 09:54 PM
The Cubs are anything but innocents in this whole affair. It is undeniable that the Cubs were o.k. with the whole "Sammy show" as long as it was popular with the fans. By 2005, however, the bloom was definitely off the Sosa/McGwire rose (remember, the testimony of Sosa and McGwire before Congress on St. Patrick's Day, 2005?) and the Cubs decided it was time to exile Sosa. So, Sammy may well have a point that the Cubs did "throw him into the fire."

Sosa was traded to the O's before St. Patrick's Day.

How did the Cubs exile Sosa? Dusty Baker and the team kissed his ass through the 2004 season - to the point where Baker was afraid to move a struggling Sosa down into the batting order. Sosa had alienated the entire team with his conduct in the lockerroom - his leaving early on the final day of the 2004 season was the final straw.

I don't think the Cubs treated him or used him any differently that any other organization who had a good player who was also popular - steroids or no steroids.

If you want to argue that the Cubs are not 100% innocent, that is fine. I don't buy into the argument that Sosa was dumped by the Cubs just because his productive days were behind him. Seriously, some of these posts that are talking about how Sosa was wronged have me thinking I'm reading NorthSideBaseball.com instead of WSI. :?:

tebman
08-23-2010, 10:13 PM
If you want to argue that the Cubs are not 100% innocent, that is fine. I don't buy into the argument that Sosa was dumped by the Cubs just because his productive days were behind him. Seriously, some of these posts that are talking about how Sosa was wronged have me thinking I'm reading NorthSideBaseball.com instead of WSI. :?:

Sosa was a phony then and he still is now. The Tribune is a rapacious outfit that milked his act as long as it could. There are no heroes in the Cubs-Sosa story.

I didn't like him when he was with the Sox. He was a me-first player who had talent but no team discipline. He wasn't hitting home runs in those days, but he liked to show off his throwing arm from right field. Often his throws were as wild as catapult shots because he refused to throw to the cutoff man.

It's easy for me to fall into a rant about Sosa and the Cubs/Tribune avarice, so I'll just say that getting rid of Sosa was one of the best moves the White Sox ever made.

SOXPHILE
08-23-2010, 10:45 PM
The Cubs & TribCo promoted, propped up and enabled up Mr. HGH for years, used him to sell tickets, and their product.

The Cubs Game Fans lapped it up like spoon fed pablum. To them, he could do no wrong, any whispers about him using phd's, or being a wife beater, a showboater, and a megalomaniac, were angrily dismissed and shouted down. "That's just jealous Sox fan talk, your just jealous".

And finally, there's the monster itself that the first two groups helped create, feed and sustain. One Sammy Sosa, with the ego that can be seen from outer space, and who still does not address the steroid / HGH question. Go away. I think the next best punishment for him, short of being completely exposed and proven to be the fraud we know he is, would be for people to forget about him, pay him no mind, and he "fades into Bolivia". That is something that arrogant egomaniacs like himself cannot stand.

tstrike2000
08-23-2010, 11:07 PM

Or he was unpopular because he's a dirtbag.

DSpivack
08-24-2010, 12:02 AM
Or he was unpopular because he's a dirtbag.

Eh, I don't think that plays into it at all. Jordan is an ******* and will always be huge here, and the world. Six rings do that. Sosa cheated, and even Cubs fans hate that.

DumpJerry
08-24-2010, 12:03 AM
Hey Scammy, this is for you:
http://www.min-travel.com/images/egypt_map_01.jpg
Now get lost.

PeteWard
08-24-2010, 12:28 AM
Sosa was a phony then and he still is now. The Tribune is a rapacious outfit that milked his act as long as it could. There are no heroes in the Cubs-Sosa story.

I beg to differ. There was the guy who did this. :smile:

cards press box
08-24-2010, 12:37 AM
Sosa was traded to the O's before St. Patrick's Day.

How did the Cubs exile Sosa? Dusty Baker and the team kissed his ass through the 2004 season - to the point where Baker was afraid to move a struggling Sosa down into the batting order. Sosa had alienated the entire team with his conduct in the lockerroom - his leaving early on the final day of the 2004 season was the final straw.

I don't think the Cubs treated him or used him any differently that any other organization who had a good player who was also popular - steroids or no steroids.

No, I don't think the Cubs wronged Sosa. I do think that the Cubs were complicit in puffing and promoting the steroid-fueled, empty "accomplishment" that was the Sosa/McGwire "duel" in 1998.

By the time the Cubs dealt Sosa in 2005, public sentiment had started to turn against Sosa and McGwire and, during the previous fall, the Cubs stumbled badly in the last week of the season to blow an almost certain playoff spot. The Cubs needed to make someone the scapegoat for 2004 and, what's more, the Cubs may have had a very real concern that without the help of steroids, Sosa would tank. So he had to go. I have always thought that the exit on the last day of the season was something that the Tribune pushed in the media to facilitate Sosa's exit out of town.

The Cubs & TribCo promoted, propped up and enabled up Mr. HGH for years, used him to sell tickets, and their product.

The Cubs Game Fans lapped it up like spoon fed pablum. To them, he could do no wrong, any whispers about him using phd's, or being a wife beater, a showboater, and a megalomaniac, were angrily dismissed and shouted down. "That's just jealous Sox fan talk, your just jealous".

And finally, there's the monster itself that the first two groups helped create, feed and sustain. One Sammy Sosa, with the ego that can be seen from outer space, and who still does not address the steroid / HGH question. Go away. I think the next best punishment for him, short of being completely exposed and proven to be the fraud we know he is, would be for people to forget about him, pay him no mind, and he "fades into Bolivia". That is something that arrogant egomaniacs like himself cannot stand.

OK, it's an overused phrase but that's what I'm talking about!

TommyJohn
08-24-2010, 08:30 AM
"You can climb a mountain,
You can swim the sea,
You can jump into the fire,
but you'll never be free, no no.
You can shake me up,
Or I can bring you down.
Ah-haaaaaa-a-a-a-a-a-a-h
Ah-haaaaaa-a-a-a-a-a-a-h.
We can make each other happy,
Yaaaahh!"

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-24-2010, 10:13 AM
He wants his # honored too - with what, a syringe sewn into the retired # flag? GMAB.

Tragg
08-24-2010, 10:27 AM
Sosa's absolutely right. The Cubs used Sosa, ignored his transgressions as long as he was the "delightful sportsman" (as Marinotti put it)....as soon as the team and Sosa started to sour, they threw him out with the trash.

slavko
08-24-2010, 10:56 AM
I read the article. The nap-inducing article. Stupid me. A tidbit or two, but the ground under my feet didn't move. Next.

TheOldRoman
08-24-2010, 12:15 PM

If you want to argue that the Cubs are not 100% innocent, that is fine. I don't buy into the argument that Sosa was dumped by the Cubs just because his productive days were behind him. Seriously, some of these posts that are talking about how Sosa was wronged have me thinking I'm reading NorthSideBaseball.com instead of WSI. :?:I don't think Sosa was wronged, but the Cubs were sleazy in how they handled things. He was an icon for hitting steroid laced homers, and the Cubs fans thought of him as a hero. The Tribune had decided they wanted to get rid of Sosa, so they put the "leaving early" story into the press and then hammered away at it until Cubs fans took notice and got angry. They felt they needed to turn him into the villian so the fans wouldn't be upset about him being traded.

Him leaving early was not different than the garbage Sosa had done the entire time he was with the Cubs, and the Trib knew that. If Sosa's behavior was acceptable to the Trib before it was acceptable then. In my mind putting that out there to manipulate the fans is sleazy as hell. Sosa didn't deserve any better, but the Trib deserved worse.

Chez
08-24-2010, 12:38 PM
"You can climb a mountain,
You can swim the sea,
You can jump into the fire,
but you'll never be free, no no.
You can can shake me up,
Or I can bring you down.
Ah-haaaaaa-a-a-a-a-a-a-h
Ah-haaaaaa-a-a-a-a-a-a-h.
Yaaaahh!"

Perhaps the first time Harry Nilsson is quoted on WSI?

Smokey Burg
08-24-2010, 02:03 PM
Quick, somebody call the Waaahbulance. Classic example of what happens to a guy when everybody stops kissing his rear end.

DSpivack
08-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Perhaps the first time Harry Nilsson is quoted on WSI?

I should starting getting into his music more. A lot of artists I like have covered songs of his [Neko Case especially].

soxrme
08-24-2010, 02:11 PM
When did he learn to speak english??

g0g0
08-24-2010, 02:18 PM
I don't think Sosa was wronged, but the Cubs were sleazy in how they handled things. He was an icon for hitting steroid laced homers, and the Cubs fans thought of him as a hero. The Tribune had decided they wanted to get rid of Sosa, so they put the "leaving early" story into the press and then hammered away at it until Cubs fans took notice and got angry. They felt they needed to turn him into the villian so the fans wouldn't be upset about him being traded.

Him leaving early was not different than the garbage Sosa had done the entire time he was with the Cubs, and the Trib knew that. If Sosa's behavior was acceptable to the Trib before it was acceptable then. In my mind putting that out there to manipulate the fans is sleazy as hell. Sosa didn't deserve any better, but the Trib deserved worse.

I've never been a fan of Sammy, and (along with a lot of fans) knew something was up in '98. Sammy, Bonds and McGwire all make my stomach churn. He was on a downturn as far as fans well before his trade. He became insufferable after those record HR years. I think the corked bat and infamous "sneeze" were the final straws. I'm glad he's ignored as I would wipe him out of every Cub footnote if I could. I might have to give up baseball if he somehow makes it to the HOF.

:raincloud: :puking:

Ex-Chicagoan
08-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Actually, I thought the article was decent - if you look past the self-love from Mariotti throughout.

DSpivack
08-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Actually, I thought the article was decent - if you look past the self-love from Mariotti throughout.

Quoted in a story about Sammy Sosa were Dave Kaplan and Mariotti. Those three are each an absolute disgrace to their professions.

PatK
08-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Sosa's absolutely right. The Cubs used Sosa, ignored his transgressions as long as he was the "delightful sportsman" (as Marinotti put it)....as soon as the team and Sosa started to sour, they threw him out with the trash.

People forget that for a couple of years, the only reason people went to Cubs games was because of Sammy.

In 1999, they had their worst record in 20 years and set an attendance record.

He filled seats. He was the face of the organization. Yet when the Cubs tanked and couldn't live up to unrealistic expectations (remember, most media outlets handed the Cubs the WS after they signed Maddux), they needed a scapegoat.

So they went after the easy target. Sammy.

downstairs
08-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Sammy left in the middle of their last game of the year. Whatever.

Red Barchetta
08-24-2010, 06:51 PM
As a SOX fan growing up, I never really cared about the Cubs. However, I grew to hate all things Tribune/Cubs-related during the Sosa HR hop era. I absolutely loathed how their fans would show up to watch one guy hit a HR for a bad team. I remember after his last at bat, bleacher fans would leave. Ugh!

IMO, his final "game" with the Cubs perfectly represented his tenure with the team and clarified his "image" in Chicago. Remember how he was "hurt' everytime the Orioles were scheduled to play the SOX in Chicago?! :rolleyes:

Please go away!

johnny bench
08-24-2010, 08:13 PM
More on this story from Mike Kiley, firing on John McDonough

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/blackhawks-confidential/2010/08/blackhawks-president-mcdonough-has-blood-on-his-hands-with-sosa--me-too.html

SOXfnNlansing
08-24-2010, 08:58 PM
I'm not a shammy apologist (everyone that knows me would know that), but after reading both articles, he sure was played for a patsy. I know he cashed in big time, but when the heat was turned way up, all other parties turned their back and shammy was sitting there, smiling with hands out on stage, and the curtain was closed on him. Pretty good look at human nature. A lot of life lessons with this story.

voodoochile
08-24-2010, 09:18 PM

No, he doused himself in gasoline and struck the match. The flubbies merely didn't reach for an extinguisher...

g0g0
08-25-2010, 09:39 AM
No, he doused himself in gasoline and struck the match. The flubbies merely didn't reach for an extinguisher...

+1 :rolling:

Hitmen77
08-25-2010, 10:12 AM

:clap:

People forget that for a couple of years, the only reason people went to Cubs games was because of Sammy.

In 1999, they had their worst record in 20 years and set an attendance record.

This is definitely true. I remember hearing people who were going to/went to Cubs games caring more about seeing Sosa hit a HR than whether the Cubs won or lost a game. I think there was a picture posted in the Sun-Times back in Shammy's heyday that showed a fan holding up a sign that said "Will trade a Cubs win for a Sosa HR".

:lol:

WSox597
08-28-2010, 09:24 AM
When did he learn to speak english??

Right after the senate microphone was turned off. Strange cooincidence, that.

LOL

LongLiveFisk
08-28-2010, 10:55 AM

That's exactly it, in a nutshell.

No pun intended. :tongue:

Taliesinrk
08-28-2010, 11:42 AM

I'm not a Sosa fan, but I disagree.

The first sentence may be true, but the Cubs did a lot more than that. They supplied him with the extinguisher and match, encouraged him to perform the act, promoted and profited off of the act, and when Sosa (who probably isn't a rocket scientist) had everything turn bad and go wrong, not only did they not reach for an extinguisher, they prevented him access to one.

Again, I'm really not an apologist for Sosa and I don't have much sympathy for him, but the Cubs are just as accountable, IMO. They're two of a kind.

RadioheadRocks
08-29-2010, 02:50 AM
Sammy left in the middle of their last game of the year. Whatever.

There's a rather amusing argument going on at NSBB regarding this incident.