PDA

View Full Version : The All-Purpose Bullpen Complaints thread

thomas35forever
08-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Simply put, the bullpen has been a big problem for the Sox, especially in the last week. The biggest example came last night when Putz blew what should have been a win for Pena. Fortunately, the offense got the Sox over the hump the next night.

I think the tired arms have caught up with the relievers and that's a big reason we are where we are now. They better get their act together or we're not going anywhere.

Coops4Aces
08-22-2010, 10:03 PM
I blame Ozzie :D:

GoGoCrede
08-22-2010, 10:03 PM
No more walkoffs, please.

ChiSox81
08-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Is there an easy way to figure out exactly how many innings the bullpen has pitched and compare that to other teams?

I don't want to automatically blame the bullpen melt down on Ozzie, but if they have pitched more then other teams, I think that it is a legitimate beef against Ozzie.

DirtySox
08-22-2010, 10:40 PM
The bullpen has sucked lately. It has been fantastic for the better part of the season. I'm not absolving them of blowing games, but it would be nice if the offense picked them up a bit. A more complete team likely wouldn't be in the position the Sox are in.

Noneck
08-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Is there an easy way to figure out exactly how many innings the bullpen has pitched and compare that to other teams?

I dont think it is just the number of innings pitched that will tell you if a bullpen has been burned out. The number of times that a pitcher warms up in the pen is a factor also.

WhiteSox5187
08-22-2010, 10:42 PM
I dont think it is just the number of innings pitched that will tell you if a bullpen has been burned out. The number of times that a pitcher warms up in the pen is a factor also.

Hmm, that's interesting. Earlier I complained about the innings racked up by the pen early in the season and someone showed a stat that suggested I was wrong, so I don't know what it is. If I had to guess I would say that the pen is gassed, but maybe it was another case of catching lightening in a bottle for about two months there.

guillensdisciple
08-22-2010, 10:52 PM
our record in 1 run games has gone from very good to very ****ty in a three week span. It's hard to believe.

russ99
08-24-2010, 09:33 AM

I don't want to automatically blame the bullpen melt down on Ozzie, but if they have pitched more then other teams, I think that it is a legitimate beef against Ozzie.

That's not just on Ozzie. Remember the first month and a half where our starters (sans Buehrle) couldn't get through 5 innings?

You can't blame the Ozzie for overusing the pen when starters have bad outings. It's cause and effect.

Besides, usually Ozzie and Coop are pretty good about getting guys extra rest and asking starters to go a bit more when the pen needs a lighter day.

I think last week's breakdown is more like last season. When injuries happen to key guys (i.e. Jenks) the roles shift and guys are asked to take on a higher workload in higher pressure situations, so naturally some players wear down.

Jenks' leave of absence and injury haven't helped things. You can only go to the well with Santos, Thornton and Putz so many times.

BringHomeDaBacon
08-24-2010, 09:45 AM
That's not just on Ozzie. Remember the first month and a half where our starters (sans Buehrle) couldn't get through 5 innings?

You can't blame the Ozzie for overusing the pen when starters have bad outings. It's cause and effect.

Besides, usually Ozzie and Coop are pretty good about getting guys extra rest and asking starters to go a bit more when the pen needs a lighter day.

I think last week's breakdown is more like last season. When injuries happen to key guys (i.e. Jenks) the roles shift and guys are asked to take on a higher workload in higher pressure situations, so naturally some players wear down.

Jenks' leave of absence and injury haven't helped things. You can only go to the well with Santos, Thornton and Putz so many times.

Because the White Sox are the only team that has to deal with injuries and poor outings from the starters.

doublem23
08-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Because the White Sox are the only team that has to deal with injuries and poor outings from the starters.

But they've dealt with it very, very well. Only one team in the American League has used its bullpen less frequently than the Sox, really aside from Pena, none of the Sox relievers appears to be in any danger of being overworked. Ultimately you have to let these guys pitch, if they're destined to break down, they're destined to break down. The Sox have done a good job managing their pitchers, unfortunately, they're not getting any rewards for that during this critical time.

doublem23
08-24-2010, 09:59 AM

Yes, the Sox bullpen has thrown 329.2 innings so far this season, good for 2nd fewest in the American League and well below the league average of 350 IP.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/split/128/league/al/sort/thirdInnings/order/true

BringHomeDaBacon
08-24-2010, 10:18 AM
But they've dealt with it very, very well. Only one team in the American League has used its bullpen less frequently than the Sox, really aside from Pena, none of the Sox relievers appears to be in any danger of being overworked. Ultimately you have to let these guys pitch, if they're destined to break down, they're destined to break down. The Sox have done a good job managing their pitchers, unfortunately, they're not getting any rewards for that during this critical time.

I agree with you. I just don't agree with the notion that "the bullpen is to blame". ALL teams have problems with the bullpen at one time or another. It's just a fact of baseball. The good teams overcome these problems while the others whine about injuries and how 5 or 6 runs should have been good enough.

The Twins lost arguably the best non-Rivera closer in baseball before the season even started.

eriqjaffe
08-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Yes, the Sox bullpen has thrown 329.2 innings so far this season, good for 2nd fewest in the American League and well below the league average of 350 IP.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/split/128/league/al/sort/thirdInnings/order/trueSo the problem is that they're rusty from being underused!