PDA

View Full Version : Is Joe Cowley leaving the beat?

SummerteethPacer
08-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Made a reference in Twitter that he "won't miss this next year." Am wondering what that means. I know a lot of people can't stand him, but I find him highly entertaining and it would be a loss if he's gone.

Coops4Aces
08-22-2010, 10:16 PM
Made a reference in Twitter that he "won't miss this next year." Am wondering what that means. I know a lot of people can't stand him, but I find him highly entertaining and it would be a loss if he's gone.

I just came on here to post this. I replied to him, hoping he answers me back.

kevingrt
08-22-2010, 10:20 PM
I saw that earlier. I assume that yes he is leaving based on that post.

GoGoCrede
08-22-2010, 10:32 PM
I won't miss him, either.

However, this seems kind of out of the blue - I wonder what happened.

Boondock Saint
08-22-2010, 10:41 PM
Mariotti getting busted and Cowley leaving, all in the same week?

Sounds too good to be true. I'll believe it when I see it.

Brian26
08-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Had oatmeal for dinner at the KC airport, after covering 3 xtra-inning games in a 22 hours. Yeah, I'll miss this next year.

Cry me a river. You get paid to travel around the country, watch Sox baseball and then write about it. You've got it rough.

Brian26
08-22-2010, 10:49 PM
I know a lot of people can't stand him, but I find him highly entertaining and it would be a loss if he's gone.

Entertaining to someone with the mentality of a 12-year old.

kittle42
08-22-2010, 10:51 PM
Cry me a river. You get paid to travel around the country, watch Sox baseball and then write about it. You've got it rough.

They *should* have to pay someone to watch this team lately.

Boondock Saint
08-22-2010, 10:54 PM
They *should* have to pay someone to watch this team lately.

He should keep his mouth shut when it comes to bitching about having a dream job. Watching bad baseball and writing about it still beats the vast majority of jobs. Hell, sign me up to be the Pirates beat writer tonight.

Coops4Aces
08-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Entertaining to someone with the mentality of a 12-year old.

So because you don't like him, you have to insult someone who does? Come on Brian, you're a good guy.

Craig Grebeck
08-22-2010, 11:14 PM
I'd be kinda shocked if a sixth grader found Cowley's repeated character assassinations and general douchebaggery entertaining.

dickallen15
08-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Oney probably is expanding his duties next season. In addition to washing his car and doing his laundry, he probably will be picking up his dry cleaning and doing Oney's grocery shopping. He won't have the time to remain on the beat.

JB98
08-22-2010, 11:25 PM
A lot of people think sportswriting is a "dream job." That's because they've never done it before. The newspaper business is an AWFUL place to be right now. Yeah, you watch sports as part of the job, but there are so many problems in the industry that it takes most of the joy out of it.

Anybody in the media who wants out, I don't blame them. The pay sucks, and there's no job security whatsoever.

Craig Grebeck
08-22-2010, 11:26 PM
A lot of people think sportswriting is a "dream job." That's because they've never done it before. The newspaper business is an AWFUL place to be right now. Yeah, you watch sports as part of the job, but there are so many problems in the industry that it takes most of the joy out of it.

Anybody in the media who wants out, I don't blame them. The pay sucks, and there's no job security whatsoever.
I feel no sympathy whatsoever for a dog**** sportswriter like Joe Cowley. Most everyone else, I feel for.

GoGoCrede
08-22-2010, 11:27 PM
I feel no sympathy whatsoever for a dog**** sportswriter like Joe Cowley. Most everyone else, I feel for.

Exactly. I'll add Mariotti to this, too.

dickallen15
08-22-2010, 11:29 PM

Considering how Cowley takes almost daily shots at the Tribune and praises the Sun Times, I would think he would be happy. I do think most people who write for a newspaper have had that as their "dream job" since college. Not too many Accounting majors on a pro team beat.

WhiteSox5187
08-22-2010, 11:51 PM
Considering how Cowley takes almost daily shots at the Tribune and praises the Sun Times, I would think he would be happy. I do think most people who write for a newspaper have had that as their "dream job" since college. Not too many Accounting majors on a pro team beat.

I was an English major, how do I get that job god dammit?!

Lip Man 1
08-23-2010, 01:02 AM
Gang:

I'll try to find out from Joe what's going on.

No question it's a great job but let's also be honest here. Covering the number of games that they do gets old...the almost constant traveling gets old...living in airports and taking numerous cab rides gets old as well as staying in a different hotel every other week.

I do play by play for Idaho State about 30 games a season from November to March and I'm really tired when all is said and done.

I have absolutely no idea how these guys can do it for over 100 games from February to October.

Lip

soxfan43
08-23-2010, 01:11 AM
I think he's posted references similar to this about not being on the beat next year on his twitter. I've also noticed that on some weekends a different reporter writes the Sox articles. Cowley also loves to mess with people so who knows.

spawn
08-23-2010, 08:22 AM
I'd be kinda shocked if a sixth grader found Cowley's repeated character assassinations and general douchebaggery entertaining.

Word.

Lip Man 1
08-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Soxfan43:

The policy now among most newspapers is that the beat writers are off weekends whenever the team is at home. The Tribune does the same thing with Mark Gonzales.

And from what I've found out it looks like there will be some changes coming. They'll be officially announced in time.

Lip

roylestillman
08-23-2010, 09:57 AM
Put me mildly in the pro-Cowley column. I actually like his work on the radio better than his writing. I think his twitter posting are sophmoric and too inside the journalistic frat house, but I take them (or don't) for what they are. At least the guy tries to go beyond what his spoon fed to him by the Sox PR staff. I never read a thing that Gonzales writes that I haven't heard in a pre or post game presser or in a press release. Considering the writers in this town, we could do a lot worse as the beat writer.

That said, I do think it is pretty essential to rotate writers, especially in baseball. They can too easily become attached to the team and protect favorites.

Lip Man 1
08-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Royle:

Gonzo is from the Bay Area and grew up a fan of the A's and Giants. Joe is from Cleveland. Both men feel the worst thing you can call them is a "homer."

They feel honesty is the only way to cover the Sox in part because the fan base demands the truth. I don't think 'getting to attached' is an issue at all.

Gonzo did tell me a story about the beat writers who cover the Cubs that would make the late Jerry Holtzman, the guy who wrote "No Cheering In The Pressbox,' roll over in his grave.

Lip

jdm2662
08-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Royle:

Gonzo is from the Bay Area and grew up a fan of the A's and Giants. Joe is from Cleveland. Both men feel the worst thing you can call them is a "homer."

They feel honesty is the only way to cover the Sox in part because the fan base demands the truth. I don't think 'getting to attached' is an issue at all.

Gonzo did tell me a story about the beat writers who cover the Cubs that would make the late Jerry Holtzman, the guy who wrote "No Cheering In The Pressbox,' roll over in his grave.

Lip

I think Gonzo does a solid job, but Cowley acts like an assphat too much for my liking. He also has a bias against Kenny, at least in my eyes. In short, he seems quite unprofessional and not funny. I usually just brush him off to hte side like I do to most of the media people in this town.

tebman
08-23-2010, 01:00 PM
I think Gonzo does a solid job, but Cowley acts like an assphat too much for my liking. He also has a bias against Kenny, at least in my eyes. In short, he seems quite unprofessional and not funny. I usually just brush him off to hte side like I do to most of the media people in this town.

I don't follow Twitter so I don't see Cowley's one-liners on there unless they're posted on WSI. Those that I've seen have been silly.

I do read his print articles on the Sox and think he's a reporter with talent who is trying too hard to create buzz. Guillen and Williams are true characters and are highly quotable, but it seems that's all Cowley wants to write about. I read his stuff hoping to learn something more than what offensive thing Ozzie might have said. Maybe if he takes on a new angle I'll get my wish.

dickallen15
08-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Royle:

Lip

At least on his Twitter account, Cowley does egg Oney Guillen on. He in a big way supports Oney's agenda.

tacosalbarojas
08-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Would not be surprised to see him on the Bears beat or becoming a full time columnist. Good for him. Get more news out of him (Thornton as the most recent example) than out of Gonzo...but both beat the drawers off of Wittenmeyer or Sullivan.

JB98
08-23-2010, 01:20 PM

It wasn't my "dream job" last year at this time when the Sun-Times Company was in bankruptcy and literally came within hours of going out of business. I came very close to losing everything.

It's not my dream job now either. A lot of my closest friends and colleagues have been laid off. It's a very difficult time for everyone in our industry, just as this is a difficult time for people in a lot of different professions. I remind myself that I'm fortunate to have full-time work, because a lot of people I know do not.

My job is just a job. It's a way to pay the bills. Maybe my first couple years out of college, I looked at sportswriting as a "dream job." Those days are long, long gone, my friend.

Rocky Soprano
08-23-2010, 01:26 PM
At least on his Twitter account, Cowley does egg Oney Guillen on. He in a big way supports Oney's agenda.

He loves to kiss Oney's ass.

Oney most recently bashed KW for spending this weekend at a comedy club with a "lady friend," instead of watching the games or being in KC, and Cowley was cheering him on. I honestly think Oney will end up getting Ozzie fired.

hawkjt
08-23-2010, 01:44 PM

Oney most recently bashed KW for spending this weekend at a comedy club with a "lady friend," instead of watching the games or being in KC, and Cowley was cheering him on. I honestly think Oney will end up getting Ozzie fired.

That is beyond the pale for someone in the Sox family.
If Ozzie does not control Oney soon, then Reinsdorf needs to step in again.
I find this whole Cowley/Oney feud vs Kenny to be a distraction and so petty. If Ozzie lets it continue, I fear he should be disciplined,and the fallout could be the end for Ozzie...which is stupid because he is a good manager and to let your own kid split you from management is ridiculous.
Does Oney want Ozzie to be let go so he can go to the Marlins and they can hang out on South Beach or something?

MeteorsSox4367
08-23-2010, 01:59 PM
It wasn't my "dream job" last year at this time when the Sun-Times Company was in bankruptcy and literally came within hours of going out of business. I came very close to losing everything.

It's not my dream job now either. A lot of my closest friends and colleagues have been laid off. It's a very difficult time for everyone in our industry, just as this is a difficult time for people in a lot of different professions. I remind myself that I'm fortunate to have full-time work, because a lot of people I know do not.

My job is just a job. It's a way to pay the bills. Maybe my first couple years out of college, I looked at sportswriting as a "dream job." Those days are long, long gone, my friend.

I know the Sun-Times Company quite well myself. Ever since I was a little kid I wanted to be in sports journalism. About 10 years ago, I finally got a fulltime gig after nine years of freelancing.

Four months later, they cut 70 people and I was one of them.

Some of my former co-workers who are still in the business, tell me that I'm lucky to be out of it.

I still freelance now, but it's all bottom line. It's an extra way to make some money to pay bills and that's it.

jdm2662
08-23-2010, 02:05 PM

And hence, that's why Cowley sucks. He has a vendenta against Kenny, and he seems to kiss up to Gullien any time he can. Someone pointed out this has been the case ever since Cowley spewed the **** in 2007 that Mark was all but certain to be traded. Opps.

GoGoCrede
08-23-2010, 02:10 PM

Or himself fired. Doesn't he do a show in Spanish on the radio with Ozzie Jr?

Harry Potter
08-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Good riddance to Joe Cowley.

Rocky Soprano
08-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Or himself fired. Doesn't he do a show in Spanish on the radio with Ozzie Jr?

He does, but I don't know if the Sox have any control over that show.

downstairs
08-23-2010, 04:31 PM

This bears repeating. Sports journalism is very, very tough work. Ok- its not working in a coal mine, but still. The most relaxing part is probably "watching the game"... but then on a daily basis you have to write original material on an insanely tight deadline (like minutes after the game).

Especially in the "we need it now" information age, you're expected to contribute original material and get inside information 24/7.

Do people on this board actually think sports journalists just fly around in first class and drink beers while watching games from a luxury suite?

hawkjt
08-24-2010, 10:17 AM
Cowley gives a new meaning to that old term ''muckraker''.
Today he delves into Kenny Williams marriage,taking a cue from Oney Guillen,I guess,based on Oney's tweet on Kenny's entertaining a lady friend last weekend.

Oney is like a frat boy, and Cowley just jumps right in and encourages it by going public with this crap.
I have come to despise Cowley,not quite at the Mariotti level yet,but keep digging Joe, and you will get there.
Love to see a cage match between Kenny and Joe...my money is on Kenny.
Joe must be leaving the Sox beat,and is determined to burn all the bridges on the way out.
Spiegel and Mac are going to have Cowley on this morning and Speigel sounds like he feels the same way about this column this morning as me...hammer him,please, Matt.

hawkjt
08-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Cowley says the rest of the beat writers do not have the balls to write about the friction between Ozzie and kenny like him,and that only he will get into the subtext,including Kennys marital status.

He says, ''I am not TMZ''...but Spiegel said he was. I agree with Speigel.
He claims that a sox player told him that the team felt abandoned in KC, and they expected another pitcher to be called up.
Joe says he is hearing from ''guys'' I talk to that there was confusion in KC about pitching options.
Who are these guys on the team that will confide in Cowley? or are they talking to Oney who talks to Joe, or is Ozzie talking to Joe?
When asked about the mention that Kennys marriage is over, he says it is common knowledge and he is getting tweets about kenny's activities...funny,that must mean Oney's tweets,and also funny how Gonzo or no other writer in town has gone public with Kennys private life.
Cowley cites that Gonzo is ''old school'' and the tribune will not allow that kind of crap, while the Suntimes has a different standard...I guess.:scratch:

TheOldRoman
08-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Cowley is a piece of garbage. He isn't showing he "has the guts to say thing other writers don't," he makes **** up all the time, such as Uribe being cut half a dozen times in the spring of 2008. As much as he hated Mariotti he is Mariotti except he ventures into the clubhouse. Cowley is not respected at all within the clubhouse. The only players that would ever confide in him would be the horrible ones who would be superstars "if only Ozzie treated them better," and they would talk with Cowley because they had one foot out the door already. As for Kenny's marriage, not only is it not common knowledge for the fans (no articles written about it), but it has nothing whatsoever to do with the situation. It is just Cowley throwing **** at the wall to appease Oney and start controversy. Furthermore, GMs don't usually travel with the team. Sometimes, not always.

I saw clips of Kenny at a bowling outing last night and he was all smiles. In the past he could never be happy with the garbage this team has put out there the last 2 weeks. When asked about the horrible weekend he replied "I'm not the one to talk to about that." I honestly think that Kenny has checked out and will resign after this season. I just hope he starts throwing barbs at Ozzie the way Ozzie has through his low-life son and Cowley. If Kenny is gone I sure as hell want Ozzie gone too, and you can guarantee the Guillen family has a whole basement full of skeletons. If Ozzie's ego makes him bigger than the GM who won Ozzie a ****ing World Series, there would be no stopping the ego of Ozzie working under a rookie GM.

dickallen15
08-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Cowley likes to call Reifert JR's "cabana boy". Most of the time its to appease the guy he's a cabana boy for, Oney.

Someone needs to tell Joe lining up with a 25 year old with really no job, living with his parents and off his dad's time, really isn't going to get him very far.

Coops4Aces
08-24-2010, 12:44 PM
TOR, is Kenny resigning just a gut feeling or do you know something that most of us don't?

TheOldRoman
08-24-2010, 12:48 PM
TOR, is Kenny resigning just a gut feeling or do you know something that most of us don't?I don't have any inside info, just a hunch. We know how notoriously competetive KW is and that he stews over losses. He was all smiles yesterday, as if he no longer cared. I honestly think he has had enough and will quit. Ozzie can only be called into the principal's office so many times to tell his kid to shut up, and it is becoming clearer that Oney not only gets his info from Ozzie, but Ozzie tells him to say things to piss of KW. I think Kenny is fed up, and if that's the case hopefully he releases things about Ozzie and takes him down, too.

Stoky44
08-24-2010, 12:59 PM
I don't have any inside info, just a hunch. We know how notoriously competetive KW is and that he stews over losses. He was all smiles yesterday, as if he no longer cared. I honestly think he has had enough and will quit. Ozzie can only be called into the principal's office so many times to tell his kid to shut up, and it is becoming clearer that Oney not only gets his info from Ozzie, but Ozzie tells him to say things to piss of KW. I think Kenny is fed up, and if that's the case hopefully he releases things about Ozzie and takes him down, too.

I have had the feeling since the beginning of twitter gate this would prove to be to much on the Ozzie and KW relationship. As much as I like Ozzie, I would rather have KW, not too many aggressive GM's out there, and I like that style.

Here is my prediction: KW assumes a role much like John Paxon did with the Bulls. New sox GM will be Rick Hahn. Ozzie stays as manager.

russ99
08-24-2010, 01:05 PM
This is so overblown. Kenny was all smiles, because as GM his job is essentially done for the season, other than a potential waiver deal and working on which guys are being called up in September, which I'm sure has already been determined.

The guy kills himself before the draft and at the deadline, so what's wrong with chilling out in late August? I'm sure he's disappointed in the last week but he's surely not going to spout off during the team charity bowling outing.

Leave it to Cowley to drum up controversy when there is none.

TheOldRoman
08-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Here is my prediction: KW assumes a role much like John Paxon did with the Bulls. New sox GM will be Rick Hahn. Ozzie stays as manager.Lots of people have suggested that, but it would be horrible in my opinion. Not only am I not sold on Hahn at all, but it is basically forcing Kenny out because he had a disagreement with Ozzie. Ozzie already thinks he owns the town. If he were to outlast the GM in this manner he would be completely unchecked, and that would be an awful thing.

If it is true that Reinsdorf would always stick up for Ozzie over Kenny, a man who did much much more than Ozzie to give Reinsy that championship, it sets a horrible precedent. It would basically mean Ozzie has the job until he retires, no matter how many 3/4 place finishes, how many season series lost to the Twins and how many imflammatory unprovoked comments.

TheOldRoman
08-24-2010, 01:12 PM
This is so overblown. Kenny was all smiles, because as GM his job is essentially done for the season, other than a potential waiver deal and working on which guys are being called up in September, which I'm sure has already been determined.

The guy kills himself before the draft and at the deadline, so what's wrong with chilling out in late August? I'm sure he's disappointed in the last week but he's surely not going to spout off during the team charity bowling outing.

Leave it to Cowley to drum up controversy when there is none.I added the part about the charity bowling thing. To my knowledge, and I didn't read his crap, but Cowley didn't. Kenny is the type of guy who can't enjoy life when his team is losing. He has an unhealthy obsession. He has said that a GM's work is never done, as the trade deadline leads to the waiver deadline which leads to focusing on the offseason. I could be off base on this, but his relaxed demeanor and the "don't ask me" comment didn't sound like a KW that plans on holding that job next year.

tebman
08-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Oney is like a frat boy, and Cowley just jumps right in and encourages it by going public with this crap.
I have come to despise Cowley,not quite at the Mariotti level yet,but keep digging Joe, and you will get there.
Love to see a cage match between Kenny and Joe...my money is on Kenny.
Joe must be leaving the Sox beat,and is determined to burn all the bridges on the way out.

:thumbsup:

whitesoxfan
08-24-2010, 01:19 PM

Leave it to Cowley to drum up controversy when there is none.

Maybe if KW was killing himself before the draft, we'd actually have a decent farm system. Then again, what do I know?

There should be some controversy. A roster move before the DH on Saturday most definitely should have been made. Everyone knew the bullpen was going to be taxed and we were without Thornton for the weekend, as well. So why wasn't Lillibridge sent down for an arm? I think Cowley has a point and it's one that really shouldn't be taken lightly. When Tony Pena has to pitch 7 innings in a game and when Bobby Jenks has to come in and pitch 3 innings of relief, something isn't right. That's Kenny's job. He was asleep at the wheel this weekend, there's no other way around it.

TheOldRoman
08-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Maybe if KW was killing himself before the draft, we'd actually have a decent farm system. Then again, what do I know?

There should be some controversy. A roster move before the DH on Saturday most definitely should have been made. Everyone knew the bullpen was going to be taxed and we were without Thornton for the weekend, as well. So why wasn't Lillibridge sent down for an arm? I think Cowley has a point and it's one that really shouldn't be taken lightly. When Tony Pena has to pitch 7 innings in a game and when Bobby Jenks has to come in and pitch 3 innings of relief, something isn't right. That's Kenny's job. He was asleep at the wheel this weekend, there's no other way around it.BS. Why wasn't Lillibridge sent down? Maybe because Kenny decided he would be of more use to the team over the next 10 days than a pitcher they would only need for one game. Lillibridge is, after all, our only pinch runner. Thornton wasn't going to be DL'ed, so they had nobody to send down. It was an unfortunate situation, but having the day off on Monday helped a lot.

Craig Grebeck
08-24-2010, 01:28 PM
If Kenny leaves the position, it will be because he wants to move higher in the chain of command, and leave behind the nitty-gritty of being a GM. I think it's quite likely either after 2010, 2011, or 2012.

Hahn will be the new GM.

hawkjt
08-24-2010, 01:49 PM
BS. Why wasn't Lillibridge sent down? Maybe because Kenny decided he would be of more use to the team over the next 10 days than a pitcher they would only need for one game. Lillibridge is, after all, our only pinch runner. Thornton wasn't going to be DL'ed, so they had nobody to send down. It was an unfortunate situation, but having the day off on Monday helped a lot.

I did not hear Cowley suggest what exact move Kenny should have made on Saturday...not surprised. The top two minor league starters had just pitched,so no ready starter was available. So, he should send down Lillibridge when they have 3 games in 22 hours coming up and they may need him to play? As it turns out, Pena was fine,and Bobby got to stretch it out...it was Sergio who crapped out in game 1.
If this report is true and the players were looking for kenny to ''save the day'' with a callup, I am very disapointed in the players. I suspect the players despise Cowley as much as Kenny at this point. He admitted that AJ is no longer a ''buddy''.

If kenny had called up Threat,sent down lilibridge, then we probably have to send Threat back down by today,and lose him for a few days right?
And Lilly would not be available for a few days either ,right?
I sure wish Cowley had laid out the obvious moves he thought Kenny should make.
I found it funny that Cowley,who is Mr. Inside, did not even know if Ozzie was locked up by a club option in 2012....right on top of it ,eh Joe?

TheOldRoman
08-24-2010, 01:57 PM
I did not hear Cowley suggest what exact move Kenny should have made on Saturday...not surprised. The top two minor league starters had just pitched,so no ready starter was available. So, he should send down Lillibridge when they have 3 games in 22 hours coming up and they may need him to play? As it turns out, Pena was fine,and Bobby got to stretch it out...it was Sergio who crapped out in game 1.
If this report is true and the players were looking for kenny to ''save the day'' with a callup, I am very disapointed in the players. I suspect the players despise Cowley as much as Kenny at this point. He admitted that AJ is no longer a ''buddy''.

If kenny had called up Threat,sent down lilibridge, then we probably have to send Threat back down by today,and lose him for a few days right?
And Lilly would not be available for a few days either ,right?
I sure wish Cowley had laid out the obvious moves he thought Kenny should make.
I found it funny that Cowley,who is Mr. Inside, did not even know if Ozzie was locked up by a club option in 2012....right on top of it ,eh Joe?Any player sent down has to stay in the minors for 10 days, barring injury to someone on the big league club. It wouldn't have made sense for the Sox to send Lillibridge down for 10 days to call up a crappy pitcher who they would only use in one game, anyway.

I don't believe any of what Cowley said here. No players are confiding in him. And this is the perfect sleazy rumor to plant. If KW gets mad he starts asking player about it, and everyone would say they didn't make the comment, even if one of them had. Cowley just throwing crap at the wall again. I don't know if any of the players despise Williams, but I can tell you with all certainty that many if not all despise Cowley.

PatK
08-24-2010, 02:02 PM
I got to give Danny Mac kudos for calling out Cowley this morning on the air for making suggestions and implying things but not taking ownership of them.

hawkjt
08-24-2010, 02:06 PM
I got to give Danny Mac kudos for calling out Cowley this morning on the air for making suggestions and implying things but not taking ownership of them.

Yea, Danny Mac has been on the warpath lately(including a column in Sundays Trib) against Ozzie,so he was not going to let Cowley spout the anti-Kenny slant without questioning him.

dickallen15
08-24-2010, 02:14 PM

There should be some controversy. A roster move before the DH on Saturday most definitely should have been made. Everyone knew the bullpen was going to be taxed and we were without Thornton for the weekend, as well. So why wasn't Lillibridge sent down for an arm? I think Cowley has a point and it's one that really shouldn't be taken lightly. When Tony Pena has to pitch 7 innings in a game and when Bobby Jenks has to come in and pitch 3 innings of relief, something isn't right. That's Kenny's job. He was asleep at the wheel this weekend, there's no other way around it.

Didn't the Sox win the game Pena started? Didn't Jenks make it through 3 innings unscathed? Why, if the rain in KC was going to hit in 15 minutes, did Ozzie send Edwin Jackson out to throw 7 pitches or is it Joe West who only gets the weather report.

dickallen15
08-24-2010, 02:19 PM
I found it funny that Cowley,who is Mr. Inside, did not even know if Ozzie was locked up by a club option in 2012....right on top of it ,eh Joe?

Oney never told him. He can't tell him anything.

dickallen15
08-24-2010, 02:21 PM
I actually giggle that the argument here is KW didn't call up some mediocre pitcher to get lit up. The Sox won the make up game. Jenks pitched fine for 3 innings and is now rested.

Oney's not happy so Joe has to do something. Calling out KW will keep him from having to do the real hard labor for Oney for a little bit.

Lip Man 1
08-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Roman:

If I were going to make a bet I'd wager that for better or for worse, Ozzie has his job as long as he wants it, or until JR is no longer on the scene or until he crosses the line so badly that Proud To Be Your Bud tells JR to fire him or else.

I can see Kenny resigning or being moved upstairs at the end of the year because of all the personal turmoil in his life right now, however, keep this in mind too, Kenny is so compeditive that after he takes a week off at the end of the year he could very well say, '**** I'm not going out like this, with a second place finish and 85 wins...'

Lip

Coops4Aces
08-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Roman:

If I were going to make a bet I'd wager that for better or for worse, Ozzie has his job as long as he wants it, or until JR is no longer on the scene or until he crosses the line so badly that Proud To Be Your Bud tells JR to fire him or else.

I can see Kenny resigning or being moved upstairs at the end of the year because of all the personal turmoil in his life right now, however, keep this in mind too, Kenny is so compeditive that after he takes a week off at the end of the year he could very well say, '**** I'm not going out like this, with a second place finish and 85 wins...'

Lip

What's wrong?

Lip Man 1
08-24-2010, 05:23 PM
He's having issues in his marriage apparently which is part of the reason he wasn't traveling with the club in the first half of the year.

Lip

Coops4Aces
08-24-2010, 11:38 PM
Cowley is going off on his Twitter about Kenny again. And evidently he is going on Danny mac tomorrow. Mac hates him and this is going to be good.

Craig Grebeck
08-24-2010, 11:40 PM
At this rate, I'm pretty sure I'd just bar Cowley from the clubhouse. What a ****hole.

soxfan43
08-24-2010, 11:47 PM
Cowley is going off on his Twitter about Kenny again. And evidently he is going on Danny mac tomorrow. Mac hates him and this is going to be good.

He's on to the Trib, David Haugh and his favorite target Phil Rogers now.

GoGoCrede
08-25-2010, 12:13 AM

Ooooh, what time? I may need to tune in for this. Hope he rakes Cowley over the coals.

soltrain21
08-25-2010, 12:18 AM
He's having issues in his marriage apparently which is part of the reason he wasn't traveling with the club in the first half of the year.

Lip

Is this something you should be posting? I mean, seriously.

Rocky Soprano
08-25-2010, 12:21 AM
Is this something you should be posting? I mean, seriously.

Its been stated publicly by Jerry Reinsdorf.

soltrain21
08-25-2010, 12:22 AM

That Kenny is having marriage problems? Must've missed that.

Coops4Aces
08-25-2010, 12:26 AM
JR: ''I never told Kenny not to travel with the team. I think you probably know the reason he wasn't traveling with the team was he was trying to patch things up with Jessica. One of Jessica's [complaints] was he was traveling too much, so he decided to stay home. But it didn't work. But I never told him not to travel.''

hawkjt
08-25-2010, 12:26 AM

This is what Cowley claimed today on Mac's show. I never heard anyone in the media report it,tho.

Again, Cowley claims he is the only one with balls in the chicago media,so I guess he claims credit for going public with this.

Rocky Soprano
08-25-2010, 12:31 AM
This is what Cowley claimed today on Mac's show. I never heard anyone in the media report it,tho.

Again, Cowley claims he is the only one with balls in the chicago media,so I guess he claims credit for going public with this.

He also put it in print and he quoted JR. Pretty ballsy if he is making it up.

hawkjt
08-25-2010, 12:42 AM
I think it is true, just that most of the media chose not to go public like ballsy Joe.

Coops4Aces
08-25-2010, 12:46 AM
I think it is true, just that most of the media chose not to go public like ballsy Joe.

Maybe desperate Joe

StillMissOzzie
08-25-2010, 01:53 AM
Cowley likes to call Reifert JR's "cabana boy". Most of the time its to appease the guy he's a cabana boy for, Oney.

Someone needs to tell Joe lining up with a 25 year old with really no job, living with his parents and off his dad's time, really isn't going to get him very far.

Didn't I read that Oney had tweeted that Jackson was going to pitch game 2 of the doubleheader? Way to hitch YOUR wagon to a star, there, Joe.

SMO
:o:

hawkjt
08-25-2010, 10:11 AM
This war has now clearly expanded into Cowley/Oney/Ozzie/Suntimes vs Haugh/kenny/Coop/Trib....get your popcorn.
I include Coop because last nite on Chicago Tribune Live,they did an interview with Coop in the dugout and he was asked about the Cowley drama...Coop's response?

'' I have no heard about this...first, who wrote the article?''

''Joe Cowley?''

''Well,then it is fiction''

Next...Cowley on Danny Mac later today.
Coming attractions: tomorrow,Mully will have Ozzie for an interview,then Coop later in the show in his regular spot....more popcorn.

tebman
08-25-2010, 10:46 AM
This war has now clearly expanded into Cowley/Oney/Ozzie/Suntimes vs Haugh/kenny/Coop/Trib....get your popcorn.
I include Coop because last nite on Chicago Tribune Live,they did an interview with Coop in the dugout and he was asked about the Cowley drama...Coop's response?

'' I have no heard about this...first, who wrote the article?''

''Joe Cowley?''

''Well,then it is fiction''

I would remind Cowley to be careful what he wishes for, because it might come true. He wants to be a street-level Mariotti, or maybe be Max Mercy, the career-making-and-breaking sportswriter from "The Natural." If that's what he wants, his career will flame out quickly just like Mariotti's.

Of course this is a distraction to the club but Cowley doesn't care. As long as the spotlight is on him, let the team burn away. What a reckless churl this guy is.

hawkjt
08-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Danny Mac today, Cowley upped the ante,and ripped into Haugh and Kenny. Claims that the Trib is trying to play catchup on the Kenny/Ozzie rift story that Cowley broke and has been on top of all season.
Says that even Haugh's story today validates that Kenny did not ask Ozzie and Coop about new arms until after Sundays game.
That is in dispute,evidently.

Bottom line, Cowley claims that the rift is now impacting the team negatively based on this last weekend in KC. Basically says that Kenny was negligent and derelict in his duties last weekend.
Says that Ozzie cannot come out and say that,but ''others'' are giving Joe the true story.

When Speigel specifically asked him what should have been done,he says that Lillibridge should have been DL'ed, and a fresh arm brought up. When Speigel pointed out that Harrell and Torres were not available due to pitching that nite or nite before, Cowley did not have another suggestion.
He claims that he knew that Thornton would not be able to go for at least a week on saturday. If true, then I wonder what the medical staff and Hermie are telling Kenny and Ozzie?

It seems like an oldfashioned newspaper war,with some palace intrigue thrown in to fuel it. If Cowley is aiming to be the next Mariotti/full time columnist, then maybe he is priming the pump positioning himself to be controversial,and inflammatory.

Coops4Aces
08-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Cowley completely misquoted Haugh too. I sent the guys a text so they read the portion of the article on the air to let people know what the actual quote was.

dickallen15
08-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Danny Mac today, Cowley upped the ante,and ripped into Haugh and Kenny. Claims that the Trib is trying to play catchup on the Kenny/Ozzie rift story that Cowley broke and has been on top of all season.
Says that even Haugh's story today validates that Kenny did not ask Ozzie and Coop about new arms until after Sundays game.
That is in dispute,evidently.

Bottom line, Cowley claims that the rift is now impacting the team negatively based on this last weekend in KC. Basically says that Kenny was negligent and derelict in his duties last weekend.
Says that Ozzie cannot come out and say that,but ''others'' are giving Joe the true story.

When Speigel specifically asked him what should have been done,he says that Lillibridge should have been DL'ed, and a fresh arm brought up. When Speigel pointed out that Harrell and Torres were not available due to pitching that nite or nite before, Cowley did not have another suggestion.
He claims that he knew that Thornton would not be able to go for at least a week on saturday. If true, then I wonder what the medical staff and Hermie are telling Kenny and Ozzie?

It seems like an oldfashioned newspaper war,with some palace intrigue thrown in to fuel it. If Cowley is aiming to be the next Mariotti/full time columnist, then maybe he is priming the pump positioning himself to be controversial,and inflammatory.

"Others" is Oney. Cowley is a cabana boy for a 25 year old that lives with his parents and has to ask his dad for some money to go out. How sad.

Cowley's twitter is set up for Oney.

tebman
08-25-2010, 01:28 PM

:yup: :rolleyes:

TheOldRoman
08-25-2010, 02:43 PM
The only difference there has ever been between Cowley and Mariotti is that Joe goes into the lockerroom. Cowley is a slimeball, he tries to create controversy, he is not respected by any of the players, and his sources are non-existant for the most part. The day before the trade deadline he "broke" the Jackson trade about 8 hours after legitimate new sources did. He then said Kenny had this giant mystery trade which would have caused the earth's techtonic plates to shift, but he had no idea who was involved, what position he played, and whether he was alive or dead. Then after news comes out that Berkman vetoed a Sox trade he says "Yep! It was Berkman!" Berkman is hardly a huge trade at this point, anyway. Then the next day news about the Sox going after Manny comes out and Cowley says "Yep! It was Manny!" despite the fact that 1)He already said it was Berkman and 2)all other sources had the Sox making their first offer to the Dodgers on 7/31, the day after they were going for the huge deal. Cowley makes **** up and hopes to be right.

Cowley is a petty jackass. The fact that he has aligned himself with a worthless lowlife like Oney Guillen shows all you need to know.

Rockabilly
08-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Cowley is nothing more than a SCUM BAG!!! He called Coop a puppet today.

I hope this looser leaves Chicago

dickallen15
08-25-2010, 04:17 PM

He also said he is off tonight, but says Ozzie will play it calm about all the alleged lies, saying he will take the high road. Since when does Ozzie take the high road if someone is spewing lies? Also, if this is such a huge controversy and Cowley broke it, why is he taking the night off?

Coops4Aces
08-25-2010, 04:33 PM
He also said he is off tonight, but says Ozzie will play it calm about all the alleged lies, saying he will take the high road. Since when does Ozzie take the high road if someone is spewing lies? Also, if this is such a huge controversy and Cowley broke it, why is he taking the night off?
Maybe he was given the night off

dickallen15
08-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Maybe he was given the night off

Or maybe the self proclaimed only writer in town with balls decided its best not to show up tonight. Maybe Oney to him to lay low a little while.

GoGoCrede
08-25-2010, 04:44 PM

He probably doesn't care anymore, since he's leaving after this season. He probably figures he can say whatever the hell he wants, with no consequences.

Shut up, Cowley.

Craig Grebeck
08-25-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm sorry. What is this big controversy?

dickallen15
08-25-2010, 04:55 PM
I'm sorry. What is this big controversy?
He's picking a fight with KW and the Tribune because after Oney tweeted KW was out with his girlfriend Saturday night instead of manning the phones in White Sox offices, so Cowley ran with it. Turns out KW told the Tribune he was texting with Cooper and Ozzie and they told him they didn't need another pitcher. Now Cowley and Oney are both calling KW a liar and insulting the Tribune.

Craig Grebeck
08-25-2010, 04:59 PM
I'm sorry, but how ****ing ignorant must Oney and Cowley be? Do they not understand the irony in trashing a guy on Twitter for being away from the phones? Do they really think someone needs to be at the office to tend to GM duties? It isn't 1981. KW could have been negotiating a trade between the appetizer and the main course.

What a ****ing *******.

TheOldRoman
08-25-2010, 05:01 PM
I'm sorry, but how ****ing ignorant must Oney and Cowley be? Do they not understand the irony in trashing a guy on Twitter for being away from the phones? Do they really think someone needs to be at the office to tend to GM duties? It isn't 1981. KW could have been negotiating a trade between the appetizer and the main course.

What a ****ing *******.Yep. And throw in the childlike pettiness of "He was out with another woman cheating on his wife!!" and you know the character of Cowley and Oney.

Rockabilly
08-25-2010, 05:01 PM
He's picking a fight with KW and the Tribune because after Oney tweeted KW was out with his girlfriend Saturday night instead of manning the phones in White Sox offices, so Cowley ran with it. Turns out KW told the Tribune he was texting with Cooper and Ozzie and they told him they didn't need another pitcher. Now Cowley and Oney are both calling KW a liar and insulting the Tribune.

I didn't hear Oney saying **** about his old man, when Ozzie took a 3 day break from the team

Rockabilly
08-25-2010, 05:04 PM
I predict either Kenny or Ozzie will leave the team after this year

dickallen15
08-25-2010, 05:05 PM
I didn't hear Oney saying **** about his old man, when Ozzie took a 3 day break from the team

You always know when Joe is really doing a good job for Oney. Oney re-tweets every Joe tweet slamming KW.

VMSNS
08-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Can the White Sox place Cowley on waivers, too?

Craig Grebeck
08-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Yep. And throw in the childlike pettiness of "He was out with another woman cheating on his wife!!" and you know the character of Cowley and Oney.
At the same time, it's somewhat gratifying to see Cowley's career go up in flames. I'm sure his prospects are slim, and boy am I glad.

Brian26
08-25-2010, 08:03 PM

Lip

Lip, this is pretty common knowledge around town. Kenny was interviewed in Chicago magazine six months ago during Spring Training and mentioned being a a bachelor now.

jdm2662
08-25-2010, 08:09 PM
I was listening to Carmen, Yurko, and Harry today. The producer tried to get Oney on the show to tell his side. Oney's response? I'm telling the truth, if you don't believe me, than **** you then. That is the short answer.

The more I hear about Ozzie's punk kid, the more I hate him. Seriously? Get a job and stop living off your old man. It's not Kenny's fault you don't have any real work skills.

jdm2662
08-25-2010, 08:10 PM

What a ****ing *******.

Hell, you don't even need a computer to get your email or the internet these days.

dickallen15
08-26-2010, 08:32 AM
Ozzie said yesterday he never talked to Oney about KW not calling or texting him until Sunday. I wonder if Oney has the balls to say Ozzie is a liar and risk getting cut off from his club money. Also it appears Cowley's latest tweets leave his tail between his legs a little bit as he says getting Manny would be a great move for KW. Odd Cowley had the day off yesterday.

Craig Grebeck
08-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Ozzie said yesterday he never talked to Oney about KW not calling or texting him until Sunday. I wonder if Oney has the balls to say Ozzie is a liar and risk getting cut off from his club money. Also it appears Cowley's latest tweets leave his tail between his legs a little bit as he says getting Manny would be a great move for KW. Odd Cowley had the day off yesterday.
God, this must be the most childish organization in the game.

soltrain21
08-26-2010, 09:03 AM

Completely. It's embarrassing.

Rocky Soprano
08-26-2010, 09:20 AM

You can thank the Guillen family for that.

Craig Grebeck
08-26-2010, 09:22 AM
You can thank the Guillen family for that.
Precisely. I just can't imagine Jerry sitting upstairs and approving of any of this.

Kenny, too, loves the public eye -- not like the Guillens, but he's certainly not shy. If he is moved upstairs full-time, it would be a great thing for this organization. He can still have input, but get him out of the public eye.

Ozzie, however, can board the first charter to Florida. Hell, Fredi Gonzalez can fly the plane back here and take the job.

hawkjt
08-26-2010, 10:24 AM
Precisely. I just can't imagine Jerry sitting upstairs and approving of any of this.

Kenny, too, loves the public eye -- not like the Guillens, but he's certainly not shy. If he is moved upstairs full-time, it would be a great thing for this organization. He can still have input, but get him out of the public eye.

Ozzie, however, can board the first charter to Florida. Hell, Fredi Gonzalez can fly the plane back here and take the job.

Not much you do like about the White Sox organization is there?
Kenny needs to move.
Ozzie needs to go.
Hawk is a db.
Reinsdorf is a db.

Sometimes when the finger is pointing at all the others,it is a reflection on the pointer,not the pointees. 2004-2010 is the most successful period in Chicago baseball since 1918...and everyone must go,right? Watch out what you ask for, you may just get it...1980's White Sox baseball.

hawkjt
08-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Listened to the Ozzie interview on M & H this morning. He said that Oney speaks for Oney only. He says that he and kenny are on the same page. He says that he never wanted Putz,Bobby,or Matty on the DL,unlike what Cowley has said. Basically, Ozzie refuted all the intrigue that Cowley and Oney have been suggesting.
Ozzie says he wants to retire as the Sox manager,if Kenny and Jerry want him.
He says that if Manny comes on board, he is confident the clubhouse will be fine.
He says he only talks any White Sox business in his house with his wife,and no one else in the family,none of whom live with him.

Lip Man 1
08-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Then if Ozzie didn't want them on the DL who did? I didn't realize Kenny makes those decisions. I assumed it would be up to the medical staff and Ozzie.

Lip

Stoky44
08-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Then if Ozzie didn't want them on the DL who did? I didn't realize Kenny makes those decisions. I assumed it would be up to the medical staff and Ozzie.

Lip

Maybe it is a misquote or misunderstanding of Ozzie. Maybe on Saturday, Ozzie didn't want them on the DL. But then later in the week he did. IDK. Its ozzie.

TheOldRoman
08-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Maybe it is a misquote or misunderstanding of Ozzie. Maybe on Saturday, Ozzie didn't want them on the DL. But then later in the week he did. IDK. Its ozzie.That's my guess from reading it. Cowley was beating his chest that Kenny was dumb for not putting Thornton and Putz on the DL on Saturday. Kenny responded to that specifically on Tuesday afternoon, saying that would have been jumping the gun and he would have looked like a fool having them sit around for two weeks when Putz would be fine with a few days rest and Thornton would be ready to go this weekend. Of course, later in the day Tuesday they decided that Thornton needed more time and Putz' knee acted up again, so that changed things.

spongyfungy
09-27-2010, 11:34 PM
just to confirm and update last week he said he was leaving the sox beat. (http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/25179942051)He's staying with the suntimes and it looks like he's going to be reassigned. (maybe national baseball writer). He'll be writing about the cubs as well.

I heard Rongey wish him good luck on one of the pregames a few days ago in his future endeavors.

BainesHOF
09-29-2010, 02:32 AM
Joe Cowley is to sports writers as Mike North is to sports radio hosts.

cards press box
09-29-2010, 07:33 AM
I know that some posters here have had their disagreements with Joe Cowley but I'll say this -- if Cowley occasionally writes about the Cubs in his new assignment, at least he won't be in Jim Hendry's pocket, unlike some other local media members who wouldn't criticize Hendry if he dealt Babe Ruth for Augie Ojeda. Cowley was always honest and spoke his mind. I appreciated that.

On a separate note, has the Sun-Times announced who the next beat writer for the Sox will be?

hawkjt
09-29-2010, 09:21 AM
I know that some posters here have had their disagreements with Joe Cowley but I'll say this -- if Cowley occasionally writes about the Cubs in his new assignment, at least he won't be in Jim Hendry's pocket, unlike some other local media members who wouldn't criticize Hendry if he dealt Babe Ruth for Augie Ojeda. Cowley was always honest and spoke his mind. I appreciated that.

On a separate note, has the Sun-Times announced who the next beat writer for the Sox will be?

A beat writer should not be in anyone's ''pocket''. Joe was in Ozzie's ''pocket'' this year,and it colored everything he wrote. Joe's vendetta vs Kenny hurt his ability to be objective and to get information from the decision-makers in the organization. Cowley did a poor job this year,as a result.

SI1020
09-29-2010, 09:29 AM
Joe Cowley is to sports writers as Mike North is to sports radio hosts. I completely agree.

soltrain21
09-29-2010, 09:31 AM

Cowley is always honest? Uh, no.

spawn
09-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Cowley is an arrogant, immature douchebag. 'Nuff said.

Craig Grebeck
09-29-2010, 09:33 AM
With no sense of humor to boot. What a waste.

MeteorsSox4367
09-29-2010, 11:02 AM

And he's also got a new photo in the paper. He's added glasses.

doublem23
09-29-2010, 11:10 AM

Seriously, the fact that he decided to buddy up with Oney Guillen should let you know everything about him.

Good riddance, Cowley.

TheOldRoman
09-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Seriously, the fact that he decided to buddy up with Oney Guillen should let you know everything about him.

Good riddance, Cowley.Yeah, I wonder if Oney will be able to find a media stooge to be his new patsie. I certainly hope so, as I am eager to get updates on Kenny's love life.

spawn
09-29-2010, 11:27 AM

Good riddance, Cowley.

Yeah, that's something Mariotti would do, if he had the ability to make friends that is.

soxfan43
09-29-2010, 12:24 PM
And he's also got a new photo in the paper. He's added glasses.

I thought that photo was just a dig at Phil Rogers, his Trib photo looks similar and Cowley rips him all the time on Twitter.

GoGoCrede
09-29-2010, 12:50 PM

Good riddance, Cowley.

The utter disdain for Cowley is beautiful. Brings a tear to my eye. Farewell, Cowley. May you go be a ****-stirrer and doofus somewhere else.

soxfan43
09-29-2010, 12:54 PM
The utter disdain for Cowley is beautiful. Brings a tear to my eye. Farewell, Cowley. May you go be a ****-stirrer and doofus somewhere else.

i think he's staying with the sun times, he just won't be the beat writer for the Sox anymore.

DirtySox
09-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Bye Mr. Cowley.

I don't hate you, but I do dislike your pro-Guillen/anti-Kenny slant on everything. I will salute your ability to upset so many people with your comments though. Actually being paid to troll and act a douchebag is a very impressive feat.

spawn
09-29-2010, 01:09 PM
I will salute your ability to upset so many people with your comments though. Actually being paid to troll and act a douchebag is a very impressive feat.

Not really. Mariotti did it for years.

SI1020
09-29-2010, 01:09 PM
Cowley is an arrogant, immature douchebag. 'Nuff said. I would add angry to that list.

soxfan43
09-29-2010, 01:47 PM
Cowley showing WSI some love.

http://twitter.com/#!/cst_sox/status/25903757275

doublem23
09-29-2010, 02:18 PM

http://twitter.com/#!/cst_sox/status/25903757275

What the hell is he talking about?

GoGoCrede
09-29-2010, 02:21 PM

I think he's trying to be funny.

spawn
09-29-2010, 02:22 PM

He keeps trying...and he keeps failing.

Rockabilly
09-29-2010, 02:23 PM
Cowley SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rocky Soprano
09-29-2010, 03:35 PM
Hey Cowley since you are reading this, The Steelers Suck!

doublem23
09-29-2010, 03:48 PM

I get that 90% of that tweet was trying to be funny, but what, exactly is on our website? Lip's Sox and Media column?

Rocky Soprano
09-29-2010, 03:51 PM
I get that 90% of that tweet was trying to be funny, but what, exactly is on our website? Lip's Sox and Media column?

I would think he is referring to this thread.

salty99
09-29-2010, 05:18 PM
He has mentioned several times that people should read Lip's Sox media article.

cards press box
09-29-2010, 06:22 PM

Cowley SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't understand all the acrimony toward Cowley. I know that some posters think he took sides in the Ozzie/KW feud. With regard to that feud, the one comment I recall Cowley making was that the genesis of the disagreement was the draft slots and offers made to KW's son and to Ozzie's son. That, I think, is the real reason for the lingering bad feelings between KW and Ozzie. I don't know what Cowley did other than get to the bottom of that story.

In sum, I've always liked his work and I must add that I admire how he fought back and beat a very serious, life-threatening illness.

I don't get why everyone is so agitated.

ZombieRob
09-29-2010, 07:03 PM
I don't understand all the acrimony toward Cowley. I know that some posters think he took sides in the Ozzie/KW feud. With regard to that feud, the one comment I recall Cowley making was that the genesis of the disagreement was the draft slots and offers made to KW's son and to Ozzie's son. That, I think, is the real reason for the lingering bad feelings between KW and Ozzie. I don't know what Cowley did other than get to the bottom of that story.

In sum, I've always liked his work and I must add that I admire how he fought back and beat a very serious, life-threatening illness.

Wait to whomever gets the beat next. One bad remark in the column, and Sox fans will have someone else to whine and cry about.

GoGoCrede
09-29-2010, 07:53 PM

In sum, I've always liked his work and I must add that I admire how he fought
back and beat a very serious, life-threatening illness.

It's not even the Ozzie/KW stuff that has so many people up in arms. I don't even care about that. What I do care about is his blatant unprofessionalism in other areas. As someone on here once said, Cowley is good at promoting Cowley.

I did not know he beat a life-threatening illness. I really commend him for that and I hope he's 100% healthy now.

cards press box
09-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Teddy Greenstein of the Tribune wrote this article (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2005-04-05/sports/0504050268_1_lymph-general-manager-ken-williams-joe-cowley) about Cowley's personal ordeal in 2004 and 2005.

spawn
09-29-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm glad he won his battle with cancer. He's still a prick for the reasons GoGoCrede mentioned. His constant name calling and little attacks on people he doesn't like or actually have the audacity to one up him on a story are extremely unprofessional for someone in his line of work.

Daver
09-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Tailgunner Joe is the only media member that has ever been banned from this forum, and he's been banned more than once. He seldom posts under the username he is using now.

Brian26
09-29-2010, 09:55 PM
What I do care about is his blatant unprofessionalism in other areas. As someone on here once said, Cowley is good at promoting Cowley.

His drunken tweets during the Minnesota series were embarrassing to read. You expect that kind of behavior by people not getting paid to write about the Sox. This guy was on the clock. Shame on the Sun-Times.

hawkjt
09-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Wait to whomever gets the beat next. One bad remark in the column, and Sox fans will have someone else to whine and cry about.

Wrong. Mark Gonzalez is a professional as the Tribune Sox beat writer and he garners few if any complaints.
Cowley is a pot-stirrer...cannot mix the reporting function and the opinion function which is what the Suntimes tried to do with Cowley. Opinion guys like to stir controversy like Mariotti, while beat reporters should report factual info about the team. The twain shall never meet.

dickallen15
09-30-2010, 04:15 PM

Actually, the KW Jr. vs. Ozney is laughable as well. Out of HS, like Ozney was this year, KW Jr. was selected by the Sox in round 36. If Ozney was the hot prospect Ozzie and Oney believed he was, another team would have selected him earlier than the Sox. Perhaps the kid isn't that good. He can go to college and if he's worthy be selected in a round that he and Ozzie and Oney will figure is worthy.

Brian26
10-01-2010, 11:47 PM

http://twitter.com/#!/cst_sox/status/25903757275 (http://twitter.com/#%21/cst_sox/status/25903757275)

I don't think anything he said there was with sarcasm. He's being serious. He respects WSI. The problem is that he likes playing the heel, so he gets off on this kind of feedback.

tebman
10-02-2010, 12:13 AM

The acrimony stems from Cowley's obsession with Willliams' and Guillen's relationship. Too often he's come off as the water-cooler gossip who points out who's angry at whom instead of writing about baseball. I think it's unnecessary because when he does write about baseball it's often knowledgeable and insightful. Does he really need to spill so much ink speculating on whether KW and OG are talking to each other?