PDA

View Full Version : David Haugh Interview

Lip Man 1
08-22-2010, 06:38 PM
Hopefully this takes some of the edge off what's been taking place on the field the past few weeks.

David Haugh was my guest for the next interview for White Sox Interactive.

Here is the link to the story:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=4038

David talks about how he got into the media, the media itself and we talk a lot about the White Sox...about the dynamic between Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen about the Sox issues with the "fundamental" aspects of baseball and about whether the Sox really are a "big market" franchise.

I hope you'll enjoy it.

Lip

fisk4ever
08-22-2010, 06:59 PM
Actually the article brought a tinge of heartburn upon recalling the Aaron Rowand trade. What was Kenny thinking?

Good questions, thoughful answers. Thanks.

shingo10
08-22-2010, 07:00 PM
"it still might be better for everyone if at the end of the year, Kenny was moved up into a special advisory position and Rick Hahn became the new G.M. taking over the day to day operations. I think the more distance between the two may not be a bad thing.

Ugh. I would not be a fan of that move. To me Kenny has done a really good job in his time here. Sure he's made many mistakes but he has put us in contention basically every year he's been here.

Pablo_Honey
08-22-2010, 07:08 PM
"it still might be better for everyone if at the end of the year, Kenny was moved up into a special advisory position and Rick Hahn became the new G.M. taking over the day to day operations. I think the more distance between the two may not be a bad thing.

Ugh. I would not be a fan of that move. To me Kenny has done a really good job in his time here. Sure he's made many mistakes but he has put us in contention basically every year he's been here.
I don't think it would hurt to go to Hahn to be our GM. This guy's been highly regarded as a good potential GM in the making. Kenny's style has given us an average AL team that got around to be contention thanks to the joke of a division called the AL Central. Since 2005 (which I credit more to us being so lucky a lot of players had their career years), Kenny's given us one division title and two losing seasons. He's certainly done the best he can given his limited resources but I wouldn't be so against a change. I don't see how this move can backfire.

tsoxman
08-22-2010, 07:40 PM
"it still might be better for everyone if at the end of the year, Kenny was moved up into a special advisory position and Rick Hahn became the new G.M. taking over the day to day operations. I think the more distance between the two may not be a bad thing.”
This move is not only a good idea, but necessary. Kenny has screwed this team up for years to come. The dollars commited to Rios, Peavy, and Jackson will preclude the Sox from going out into the open market and fixing what needs to be fixed with this team.

Not only has he failed to develop playes, but Kenny cann't trade away the few decent players he does develop fast enough. He has traded away three choice pitching prospects in the last three years-Gonzalez, Richard and Hudson. Given how are aging bullpen has broken down in the last few weeks wouldn't any of these guys have been a god-send? In fact, Kenny has a complete disregard for player development, which is ironic given the changing economic climate in baseball whereby it's the YOUNGER teams that are winning while the older ones like the Sox are the also-rans. And dont give me this crap about limited resources when you are wasting about $60 million dollars on Linebrink and Peavy.Those were decesions that Kenny made on his own. Which brings me to the irony of how Kenny runs this organization...if the Sox did have limited resources, wouldn't it make sense to become an organization like the Twins, Rangers and braves that developed its talent base from within?

The guy is cocky, egotistical and I cannot wait to see go. Yes, count me in for the beginning of the Rick Hahn era. It can't start soon enough.

Coops4Aces
08-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Actually the article brought a tinge of heartburn upon recalling the Aaron Rowand trade. What was Kenny thinking?

Good questions, thoughful answers. Thanks.

Are you serious? That trade was awesome! Rowand is sooooo overrated.

SoxSpeed22
08-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Kenny and Ozzie are both extremely stubborn men, so it wasn't surprising to see how **** almost hit the fan in May.
It's probably better that Rick Hahn takes over soon, before we let him get away. I think he'll do a great job. More importantly, I think he will be more patient with prospects. That approach may lead to some losing seasons, but there is more upside in it.

pudge
08-22-2010, 09:28 PM
I really liked him as a Bears beat writer, and now knowing his background I can see why. Not really thrilled with his work as a columnist, but I've always said trying to write a compelling sports column several times a week is brutal. He seems like a good guy.