PDA

View Full Version : Sox continue to slide towards mediocrity

eastchicagosoxfan
08-22-2010, 05:18 PM
The Sox have lost five series in a row after today's loss.

Chisox353014
08-22-2010, 05:23 PM
You're just not going to win a division losing to hot garbage like Baltimore and Kansas City.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-22-2010, 05:31 PM
There's still to turn it around, but the last couple of weeks have been tough to stomach.

Lip Man 1
08-22-2010, 05:31 PM
The team is beaten down, the bullpen is imploding...just win 15 more games and at least have a winning season.

Lip

cub killer
08-22-2010, 05:33 PM
I understand people, AGAIN, writing off the season. But if the Sox do come back to win the division, I hope all you guys who say "it's over" every other week will fully and publicly eat crow.

WhiteSox5187
08-22-2010, 05:37 PM
I understand people, AGAIN, writing off the season. But if the Sox do come back to win the division, I hope all you guys who say "it's over" every other week will fully and publicly eat crow.

I think everyone here would gladly do so. The thing is every loss hurts a lot more now because there are fewer games to be played. The Sox have to turn it around now.

SI1020
08-22-2010, 05:45 PM
I think everyone here would gladly do so. The thing is every loss hurts a lot more now because there are fewer games to be played. The Sox have to turn it around now. Even if they do does anyone seriously think this team would go anywhere in the playoffs?

cub killer
08-22-2010, 05:47 PM
I think everyone here would gladly do so. The thing is every loss hurts a lot more now because there are fewer games to be played. The Sox have to turn it around now.
That's true. I just wish more people would make honest assessments like the one you just made rather than saying "THE SEASON IS OVER!" when there are 4 months left to play, or when we're 4 games out of 1st with over a month left to play.

DickAllen72
08-22-2010, 05:49 PM
As I posted in today's game thread, I see the adversity (thank you, Joe West) that the Sox went through after they won that big game in Minnesota will be a catalyst and a cause this team will rally around.

After tomorrow's day off to regroup, I fully expect the Sox to go on a tear and win the division. Just my gut feeling.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-22-2010, 05:49 PM
I don't believe the season is over, but the team needs start winning series.

shingo10
08-22-2010, 05:50 PM
That's true. I just wish more people would make honest assessments like the one you just made rather than saying "THE SEASON IS OVER!" when there are 4 months left to play, or when we're 4 games out of 1st with over a month left to play.

Best post I've seen today. Seems like if the Sox are doing good, people are waiting for the wheels to fall off, but when they are doing bad it's how its gonna be for the rest of the season. Teams go through funks. Look at Texas for crying out loud. There is still time.

white sox bill
08-22-2010, 06:06 PM
We all knew these days were coming, surely we didn't expect to win at the pace we were. But I didn't see a repeat of April/May coming

LoveYourSuit
08-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Refuse to say the season is over, but we need another hot miracle like that one in June/July. This time vs the better AL.

I put it at about 30-35% chance of this happening.

Too many factors here going against us.

Tragg
08-22-2010, 06:15 PM
The Sox have lost five series in a row after today's loss.
and 3 of the series are against below .500 teams.
But, just like the first 6 weeks of the season, we aren't getting swept, so we are still hanging in (barely).

Dan H
08-22-2010, 06:18 PM
I am not willing to say the season is over although I just can't be optimistic. This team is losing the way bad teams lose and there is no way around that.

The conditions for winning in KC were not good. Double headers are tough to win against anyone and then they faced KC's ace. They won't have this excuse now that they are coming home. They will have a day off and are facing a bad team to start. Not only do the Sox need to start a winning streak, (do we even remember the last one?), they also need to show they can deliver in tight contests. It is getting to the point that time is simply running out and these lose opportunities will be the symbols of a disappointing season.

BringHomeDaBacon
08-22-2010, 06:22 PM
After 106 games against the AL, this team is 52-54. The overall record is sixth best in the AL. Once you factor in that Toronto plays in a much tougher division, you can easily argue the Sox are seventh best in a 14 team AL - the very definition of mediocre.

soxlady8
08-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Well at least Bobby looked pretty good this late afternoon / early evening!

These close games (like today , early yesterday, the day w the Thome walk off, and I know there are several more ) ARE TOTALLY KILLING The Sox big time !

When I was sitting at my dentist office back in March there was a Sports Illustrated issue w Mauer on the cover . In the issue were the "projected"
finishes of the division. I believe it was Twinkies, Kitties , Royals , Sox, and then Cleveland. I thought no way! If the Sox finish second , that would be better than the projections of S.I.

Pablo_Honey
08-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Everyone, chill the **** out. Ah yes, yes, we lost another series but everything is gonna be perfectly all right because this season ISN'T over. We still have a MONTH to play. It doesn't even matter that our bullpen's been imploding, our offense is crapping in pressure situations and our starters are slowly crumbling. We still have ONE month to play. That's a lot of time to catch up the Twinkies. We will make the post-sea...

OH **** ME SILLY. I can't be positive. I just ****ing can't. All those positive folks that are calling out the negative folks, kudos to you because it takes a lot of ****ing nerve (or just some blind optimism) to be feeling hopeful about this team.

shingo10
08-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Everyone, chill the **** out. Ah yes, yes, we lost another series but everything is gonna be perfectly all right because this season ISN'T over. We still have a MONTH to play. It doesn't even matter that our bullpen's been imploding, our offense is crapping in pressure situations and our starters are slowly crumbling. We still have ONE month to play. That's a lot of time to catch up the Twinkies. We will make the post-sea...

OH **** ME SILLY. I can't be positive. I just ****ing can't. All those positive folks that are calling out the negative folks, kudos to you because it takes a lot of ****ing nerve (or just some blind optimism) to be feeling hopeful about this team.

Sometimes blind faith is all you can have. Can't control the product that's out there on the field but I can get behind it and hope that it will come through in the end. Until it's absolutely over I'll keep watching and hoping that we overtake the Twins. Not to say that this team isn't flawed because it is very much. I get as upset as everyone else when they lose it's just tiring to hear the season get declared over after every bad loss.

LoveYourSuit
08-22-2010, 06:45 PM

Stop telling people to chill out. Come on. :rolleyes:

We are struggling big time, people have the right to be worried.

Pablo_Honey
08-22-2010, 06:53 PM
Stop telling people to chill out. Come on. :rolleyes:

We are struggling big time, people have the right to be worried.
Eh, I was saying the same thing as you in a sarcastic way. Notice how the first paragraph is about being positive and then I admit that I just can't be positive in the second paragraph.

Daver
08-22-2010, 07:02 PM
This was a pretty mediocre team with a well above average pitching staff when the season started, why would it be any different now?

Rikirk
08-22-2010, 07:12 PM
If the Sox cant even sweep the doormat Royals, if the cant take 2 of three from Baltimore, the probobly run into the Twins...guess what will happen there. Do you think these guys can go down the September stretch and do anything? I want to be optimistic...I really do, but this is a Chicago baseball team.
Im not gonna hold my breath....otherwise id be dead.

Stoky44
08-22-2010, 08:49 PM
VkCFeNeqyHk

Frater Perdurabo
08-22-2010, 09:02 PM
I hope the Sox can again get hot and take the division.

However, the Sox are not EARNING the division with their performance.

Good teams don't crap their pants against the likes of the Indians, Royals and Orioles.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-22-2010, 09:10 PM
You all know the Twins played like **** for like 20 days right before they played well right? They will fall off. If they don't, they will win 100 games and win the World Series. Which seems more likely? Just wait, the Sox aren't this bad of a team, this is just a rough spell. They have been in almost every game for the past few weeks. **** happens.

Gavin
08-22-2010, 09:12 PM
and 3 of the series are against below .500 teams.
But, just like the first 6 weeks of the season, we aren't getting swept, so we are still hanging in (barely).

I don't get the point of bringing up that teams are "below .500". The Sox are above .500 but they have been losing. A team can recently/currently be a lot better or worse than their overall season record will indicate.

pudge
08-22-2010, 09:19 PM
This was a pretty mediocre team with a well above average pitching staff when the season started, why would it be any different now?

Exactly. It's been an odd road to get to this point, but aren't we right about were a LOT of people figured we would be? Having said that, there's certainly time to still win this division, but when a team stinks as bad as this team did the first two months, that's usually a sign of issues. Only in rare, rare cases do teams totally turn that around for good.

tstrike2000
08-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Hard to win when you have no bullpen.

Craig Grebeck
08-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Hard to win when you have no bullpen.
Hard to win when you can't score.

tstrike2000
08-22-2010, 09:32 PM

Since they're doing both, it's gonna be hard to stay above .500.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Since they're doing both, it's gonna be hard to stay above .500.Woh, you sure are expecting this team to just drop off completely. :scratch:

AlexRios51
08-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Even if they do does anyone seriously think this team would go anywhere in the playoffs?
We'd most likely go 3 up 3 down.

tstrike2000
08-22-2010, 09:51 PM
Woh, you sure are expecting this team to just drop off completely. :scratch:

Nope, originally I said they have no bullpen right now. If that's not corrected soon, won't matter what their record is because they'll be out of the playoff picture.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Nope, originally I said they have no bullpen right now. If that's not corrected soon, won't matter what their record is because they'll be out of the playoff picture.Under .500 is setting the bar REALLY low considering they are still decently above .500.

doublem23
08-22-2010, 09:57 PM
Even if they do does anyone seriously think this team would go anywhere in the playoffs?

Who cares if they do or if they don't? This isn't the NHL or NBA where every teams gets to the play-offs. Winning your division in baseball is still a huge deal.

Go Sox.

tstrike2000
08-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Under .500 is setting the bar REALLY low considering they are still decently above .500.

Not sure how we got on this .500 thing. I said they have no bullpen and somebody responded that they're not scoring runs either. I just said if that's the case, then it'll be hard to stay above .500 because that's a very bad combo. HOWEVER, I did not say that they would indeed finish below .500. I don't know or care what their record is gonna be at the end of the season unless the bullpen is corrected. I'm not worried about the offense right now.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Not sure how we got on this .500 thing. I said they have no bullpen and somebody responded that they're not scoring runs either. I just said if that's the case, then it'll be hard to stay above .500 because that's a very bad combo. HOWEVER, I did not say what they would indeed finish below .500. I don't know or care what their record is gonna be at the end of the season unless the bullpen is corrected. I'm not worried about the offense right now.They just lost 3-2 in extra innings. The offense lost this game, not the bullpen. Get your priorities straight mister.

GoGoCrede
08-22-2010, 10:04 PM

I would kill for the chance to find out what this team could do playing deep into October. :gulp:

tstrike2000
08-22-2010, 10:10 PM
They just lost 3-2 in extra innings. The offense lost this game, not the bullpen. Get your priorities straight mister.

I'm not referring to just today. I'm referring to the fact the Sox have lost 11 of their last 16 with the bullpen playing a huge role in that downtrend.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-22-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm not referring to just today. I'm referring to the fact the Sox have lost 11 of their last 16 with the bullpen playing a huge role in that downtrend.A few games isn't exactly "huge". The grand slam given up was early enough in the game for the Sox to score AT LEAST 1 RUN, and the runners on weren't even his. A few blown leads where the Sox got at-bats after those leads were blown. Big deal, there were only a few cases where the bullpen completly **** their pants and blew the game. Don't forget that in probably all of those, the Sox stranded a lot of runners.

HarryChappas
08-22-2010, 10:41 PM
Kotsay, Jones, Linebrink OVER!!!!

BringHomeDaBacon
08-22-2010, 11:35 PM
Nope, originally I said they have no bullpen right now. If that's not corrected soon, won't matter what their record is because they'll be out of the playoff picture.

Guess what - bullpens give up runs. It's a fact of baseball. The good teams at least occasionally can come back and score some more runs when that happens.

tstrike2000
08-22-2010, 11:45 PM
A few games isn't exactly "huge". The grand slam given up was early enough in the game for the Sox to score AT LEAST 1 RUN, and the runners on weren't even his. A few blown leads where the Sox got at-bats after those leads were blown. Big deal, there were only a few cases where the bullpen completly **** their pants and blew the game. Don't forget that in probably all of those, the Sox stranded a lot of runners.

Only a few cases? How many examples do you need since Jenks blew 2 saves in 5 days last month? This isn't to mention Putz, Thornton, and Santos now blowing saves over this rough stretch they've had. Considering top tier closers like Joe Nathan only blew 5 saves all of last season, how many late game leads do the Sox need to blow before it's a big deal? Yeah, the Sox offense wasn't good today, but they were also facing very good pitching, it happens. This team has never been an offensive juggernaut this season, yet you keep talking about today's game. I'm talking about the Sox failure to close down late inning leads (lately, not today) that does not bode well now that they're down 5 games in the standings after tonight's Twins win instead of being tied for the division.

WhiteSox5187
08-22-2010, 11:45 PM

But scoring hasn't really been the big problem of late, has it? We had the lead in what, all three of those games in Minnesota? We had the lead in both games last night and briefly had the lead today. We had the lead late in those two games we lost against Detroit. Yea, we could have scored more runs, but if you are winning in the eighth your bullpen ought to be able to hold those leads.

WhiteSox5187
08-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Guess what - bullpens give up runs. It's a fact of baseball. The good teams at least occasionally can come back and score some more runs when that happens.

Yes, bullpens occasionally give up runs, bullpens in fact occasionally give up leads. But I am hard pressed to think of many teams that can bounce back and start scoring runs after their bullpen gives up leads in the eighth and ninth innings of games.

tstrike2000
08-23-2010, 12:11 AM

I also never said that our bullpen was comprised of 1988 right and left handed versions of Dennis Eckersley, so yes, I'm aware bullpens give up runs. The point is we've given away too many games since the AS break while having a lead late in the game. I'm also not not making excuses when the offense is non-existent, but that's not the point of all this.

guillensdisciple
08-23-2010, 12:36 AM
Season is donezo. Bullpen is deflated and collapsed. Can't win without them. Win next year.

Jollyroger2
08-23-2010, 08:25 AM
Continue to slide towards mediocrity? Against the AL one can easily debate they have yet to achieve mediocrity. It's obvious now the hot streak the team had was just that, a usual hot streak that every team experiences at some point.

hawkjt
08-23-2010, 09:11 AM
Continue to slide towards mediocrity? Against the AL one can easily debate they have yet to achieve mediocrity. It's obvious now the hot streak the team had was just that, a usual hot streak that every team experiences at some point.

Wrong, the 26-5 run by the Sox was one of the best in-season runs in recent memory by any team. Like the best coming into the All Star break in a decade?

The Sox scored 36 runs on this 6 game road trip. The offense has not been bad,which gives me some hope. The bullpen has been bad which is deflating.

Baseball, the ultimate streak game....time for good streak,Sox.

Craig Grebeck
08-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Wrong, the 26-5 run by the Sox was one of the best in-season runs in recent memory by any team. Like the best coming into the All Star break in a decade?

The Sox scored 36 runs on this 6 game road trip. The offense has not been bad,which gives me some hope. The bullpen has been bad which is deflating.

Baseball, the ultimate streak game....time for good streak,Sox.
Well, that's a charitable way of looking at it.

BringHomeDaBacon
08-23-2010, 09:21 AM

Yet the team sits only ten games over .500. If that doesn't tell you that this team is mediocre I don't know what will.

doublem23
08-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Well, that's a charitable way of looking at it.

Factual, as well.

beasly213
08-23-2010, 10:17 AM
I'm frustrated as hell by this team but after every loss I usually take a few minutes to sit back and think where we are it. Realstically in my opinion for the Sox to have a shot I want them to be only 3 games out or less by September 2nd.

So that means they have 9 games to pick up 2 games. Yes we have to play the Yankees in that stretch but it isn't impossible.

If the Sox are only 3 out come the start of September it could be a fun ride to the end. This has been tough the past few weeks but I'm not ready to throw in the towel.

If they end up 5-7 games back by the start of September then I will probably give up.

TheOldRoman
08-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Even if they do does anyone seriously think this team would go anywhere in the playoffs?First off, yes. Why not? Pitching is the most important thing. For the Sox to make the playoffs their bullpen would obviously be healthy and their starters all pitching well. Hit a homer, scratch a few other runs across and the Sox could win any game. That isn't saying they would beat any team or win the World Series, but they could make noise in the playoffs. Either way, winning a division is a big accomplishment. Any season that results in a new banner and a new t-shirt for me is a good season.

This was a pretty mediocre team with a well above average pitching staff when the season started, why would it be any different now?I thought "baseball is not an offensive sport"? If the pitching staff is great how is the team mediocre? The defense is MUCH improved over last season (though you will probably say it isn't), with RF being the only place they are below average.

Craig Grebeck
08-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Factual, as well.
Yes, the White Sox scored six runs per game this roadtrip. That's a fine average. Unfortunately, a better offense would have done more on this trip than the White Sox did.

JB98
08-23-2010, 01:30 PM
It's not over, but I have no expectations. It will be a pleasant surprise to me if they win it.

hawkjt
08-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Yes, the White Sox scored six runs per game this roadtrip. That's a fine average. Unfortunately, a better offense would have done more on this trip than the White Sox did.

Why? Liriano has been one of the hotter pitchers in the league the last month or so.
Pavano has won 15 and in the hunt for Cy Young.
Greinke won the Cy Young last year and has a 3.9 ERA.
The Sox lead the AL in batting average and run for August.
The offense was much better than the pitching on this trip.
Did they blow opportunities to score more? Sure, but so does every team.

kjhanson
08-23-2010, 01:37 PM
After 106 games against the AL, this team is 52-54. The overall record is sixth best in the AL. Once you factor in that Toronto plays in a much tougher division, you can easily argue the Sox are seventh best in a 14 team AL - the very definition of mediocre.

Toronto is one of the five teams with a better A.L. record. You're already counting them as "better" once. Nice try though.

kjhanson
08-23-2010, 01:47 PM
The White Sox have gone 5-11 over this 5-series stretch and have been outscored by a grand total of.....1 run! We played nine one-run games and only won one of them. So in games not decided by one run, we've gone 4-3. Obviously a one-run loss counts as much in the standings as an 11-0 beatdown of a hated rival, so I'm not trying to excuse the losses. But what it tells you is that we're in ALL of these games and those who declare the season "done" are being overly short-sighted.

cards press box
08-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Yet the team sits only ten games over .500. If that doesn't tell you that this team is mediocre I don't know what will.

The Sox are playing at a .540 clip right now and are on pace to win 88 games. That may not be good enough to win the division or a wild card spot but it is not mediocre.

I can't deny that the Sox must pick up the pace in order to make the playoffs.

thomas35forever
08-23-2010, 03:48 PM
At least we'll have a better finish than where we were at in early June.

BringHomeDaBacon
08-23-2010, 08:31 PM
Toronto is one of the five teams with a better A.L. record. You're already counting them as "better" once. Nice try though.

You might want to brush up on your reading comprehension skills.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Yet the team sits only ten games over .500. If that doesn't tell you that this team is mediocre I don't know what will.You must be a Yankees fan... where anything other than a World Series is considered mediocre.

BringHomeDaBacon
08-23-2010, 09:11 PM
You must be a Yankees fan... where anything other than a World Series is considered mediocre.

And you must be a Cubs fan.....where two games below .500 against your league and five games below .500 against your division is considered acceptable.

russ99
08-23-2010, 10:24 PM

But the standings include all games... 10 games over .500 isn't mediocrity.

Until we spend $200m like the Yankees, some people need to lower their expectations.

A week of one-run losses doesn't change that this is still a contending team, which is all you can expect.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-23-2010, 10:27 PM
And you must be a Cubs fan.....where two games below .500 against your league and five games below .500 against your division is considered acceptable.88 wins is acceptable if the goal is a good season. They aren't having a mediocre season IMO, a second place finish isn't that bad a thing. Or only 3 teams in each league would be considered not "mediocre"...