PDA

View Full Version : *Official* The Ballad of Joe West, Sox Lose to KC Postgame thread

Marqhead
08-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Everyone's too depressed to talk about this one it seems.

SephClone89
08-22-2010, 04:18 PM
Don't blame Joe ****ing West.

Blame the goddamn offense.

WhiteSox5187
Yea, Joe West didn't help, but it's hard to blame all of this on him. We can't beat Baltimore, we can't beat Detroit, we can't beat KC, what chance do we have against Minnesota? We're not going to win this division. It was a fun two months, but we have crashed back to earth.

Coops4Aces
Walked Getz, he steals second and scores. Walked Blanco, he steals and scores.

And we couldn't get a clutch hit to save our lives. 1 hit with RISP

whitesoxfan
I wasn't even that upset when Kendall won the game. That's the biggest sign that this season is over.

Thanks for a fun few months, guys. Loved the resiliency we showed this year but we just aren't good enough to get it done.

Oh, and **** you Joe West.

Rdy2PlayBall
It's not even worth thinking about the next inning once they get a guy on 3rd. I can't remember the last time a team didn't come through with a runner on 3rd with the game one the line/walk off opportunity.

WhiteSox5187
08-22-2010, 04:19 PM

There is no shortage of blame to go around.

BringHomeDaBacon
Pierre gets on, we need a sacrifice bunt to get him to second. Blanco gets on and he steals second and third. Ozzie beaten at his own game.

Rikirk
Another day late...
another dollar short.

Marqhead
08-22-2010, 04:20 PM

I didn't even see most of the game, he just seems to be the theme on the tv, radio, facebook, text messages, etc...

Sox should have swept. What a blown opportunity.

Crooked Number
Runners on 2nd base 4 innings in a row. Nothing.

Game.

cub killer
I wonder how many other teams played 31 innings of baseball in a 22-hour period.

russ99

Sure, do that if you want, but wasn't one of the best pitchers in the AL going today?

The bullpen is toast. Enough of this coddling injured guys, put them on the DL, we need fresh arms.

theamb
Thanks for a fun two months, White Sox

downstairs
This season is... ovah.

Coops4Aces
Pierre gets on, we need a sacrifice bunt to get him to second. Blanco gets on and he steals second and third. Ozzie beaten at his own game.

Exactly. Shove bunting up your ass Ozzie.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-22-2010, 04:21 PM
This season is... ovah.What if the Twins lose?

kittle42
I wasn't even that upset when Kendall won the game. That's the biggest sign that this season is over.

Thanks for a fun few months, guys. Loved the resiliency we showed this year but we just aren't good enough to get it done.

Couldn't have said it better. I emotionally checked out after the Minnesota series. I fully expect this team to drop at least 4 on the 6-game homestand.

Hey, they're still within striking distance and it will be awesome if they can make it back to first, but I have a feeling the rest of the season will be as painful as that postseason ticket invoice I have to pay.

downstairs
I wonder how many other teams played 31 innings of baseball in a 22-hour period.

May be a record, so I'd say only the Kansas City Royals have done it.

SoxSpeed22
Bullpen injuries, offense crashing down and more pressure on our starting pitching.
I think we're done here, but I've been wrong before and hope I am again.

kevingrt
08-22-2010, 04:22 PM
We are just playing very craptastic right now. There is no other way around it.

Nice performance by Robert Jenks though.

Bunt, bunt, bunt, bunt!

Tragg
This team full of clubhouse-friendly 34 year olds is wearing out. But the chemistry is there.

At some point, this organization is going to have to DRAFT and DEVELOP young talent to consistently contend. We don't do either well on the major or minor league level. It's about winning...not the tender, eggshell feelings of the field manager.

downstairs
08-22-2010, 04:23 PM
What if the Twins lose?

We're not winning anything playing like this. You know when you come oh so close at the end of the season and you look back at those 1 or 2 games that ruined it for you? Yeah, we've had like 10 of those games.

kittle42
What if the Twins lose?

If they go 0-fer the rest of the season, I like our chances.

WhiteSox5187
Couldn't have said it better. I emotionally checked out after the Minnesota series. I fully expect this team to drop at least 4 on the 6-game homestand.

Hey, they're still within striking distance and it will be awesome if they can make it back to first, but I have a feeling the rest of the season will be as painful as that postseason ticket invoice I have to pay.

The team is now finding ways to lose and look beat as soon as an opposing team takes the lead or ties the game. Today was on the offense, but really, the bullpen blew how many games and how many leads this road trip? The season is over. Fun two months, but we're done now.

AlexRios51
What if the Twins lose?
Doesn't matter how many times they lose, if we can't win a ****ing game. September needs to get in here in a ****ing hurry.

Boondock Saint
What if the Twins lose?

:whocares

You don't gain games in the standings unless you win games/series. The Sox aren't doing that.

edit: I see at least four people beat me to it.

russ99
08-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Exactly. Shove bunting up your ass Ozzie.

Go ahead an keep whining about this, but even if you steal 2 bases with 2 outs, somebody's still gotta get a hit to score a run.

We're missing the hits, not the SBs here.

downstairs
Nice performance by Robert Jenks though.

Agreed! However, its the same old story... one part of the team totally shows up, another part of the team craps the bed.

manders_01
It sure would have been nice to product some more offense and take this one. Pretty frustrating but Grienke's no pushover.

My :twocents: on Hawk and the umps: I know there are quite a few on here who think Hawk and in turn Frank go way overboard and are unprofessional with the regular judgement of the umps this weekend. However, in my opinion I think they should talk about it more. It may only be baseball but if someone is being wronged, you are supposed to speak up and get the people who need to take notice to do so. I think it'd be great if the Sox would use some of this evidence to go to whomever they need to (Player's Assoc., MLB, ?) to expose this ****. I don't think they talk about if enough if nothings being done about it. It one thing to miss a call, it's a whole other thing to continually favor one team. Say what you will about me posters who disagree, I think Hawk should keep right on talking.

Everyone's too depressed to talk about this one it seems.

Yeah. :whiner:

Rdy2PlayBall
This team full of clubhouse-friendly 34 year olds is wearing out. But the chemistry is there.

At some point, this organization is going to have to DRAFT and DEVELOP young talent to consistently contend. We don't do either well on the major or minor league level. It's about winning...not the tender, eggshell feelings of the field manager.Alexei, Teahen, Beckham, Quentin, Rios, Danks, Floyd, Jackson, Sale, and Santos are a bunch of old hags.

WhiteSox5187
08-22-2010, 04:25 PM

At some point, this organization is going to have to DRAFT and DEVELOP young talent to consistently contend. We don't do either well on the major or minor league level. It's about winning...not the tender, eggshell feelings of the field manager.

That will never be done as long as Kenny Williams is in charge. The minor leagues are there to make trades for veterans as far as he is concerned.

Nelfox02
08-22-2010, 04:25 PM
eh what to say?

this pen was gassed before we came into this series.....then the rain situation, now Thornton is hurt.......

is what it is.......some seasons just not meant to be. this team was not put together from the start to be a legit contender

Thanks for the nice run, thanks for giving us meaningful baseball A LOT longer than I figured we would have coming out of May but this team is not getting it done

days the starter goes well, the pen implodes and or we cant score----games we score decent (5-6) runs the stater sucks and or the pen implodes

what a bad stretch tho, no doubt, we were in so many of these games and could not put the W on the board sucks

Boondock Saint
08-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Go ahead an keep whining about this, but even if you steal 2 bases with 2 outs, somebody's still gotta get a hit to score a run.

It's a lot easier to get a hit when you have more chances to do it. Bunting Pierre over defeats the purpose of having Pierre on the team. He can take bases on his own, and Ozzie won't let him do it when it matters most.

MarySwiss
Sorry, guys; but once again, I am not counting us out, 4 games back. Polyanna, maybe.

kittle42
Alexei, Teahen, Beckham, Quentin, Rios, Danks, Floyd, Jackson, Sale, and Santos are a bunch of old hags.

Funny...when you type out the names like that, you'd think it was a good team!

downstairs
That will never be done as long as Kenny Williams is in charge. The minor leagues are there to make trades for veterans as far as he is concerned.

It is unfair to blame management on any of this. The players are there. We're the best team in the Central, no argument.

theamb
Kudos to the first caller on Rongey's show calling out the broken record that is Hawk

Rikirk
When do the Hawks start playing?

kittle42
08-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Sorry, guys; but once again, I am not counting us out, 4 games back. Polyanna, maybe.

Certainly not out of it, but the last three weeks or so have been as bad as that two-month stretch was good.

BringHomeDaBacon

When you give away an out you reduce the number of chances to have to get a hit.

Boondock Saint

Hooray, this is back.

manders_01

I'm with ya there Mary! :gulp: Took the wind out of my sails a bit but I think we can still do this!

Lip Man 1
08-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Since the All Star Break Sunday has not been my favorite day of the week and apparently not the Sox' either.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
It is unfair to blame management on any of this. The players are there. We're the best team in the Central, no argument.

No we're not. If we were the best team in the Central we'd be in first. We have better pitching than the Twins, but the bullpen is now falling apart for the oh, fifth year in a row, and the offense is what it is, a mediocre one that is going to have to scratch and claw to score runs.

kittle42
We're the best team in the Central, no argument.

The standings would like to have a word with you...

theamb
We're the best team in the Central, no argument.

Since when did we become the Minnesota Twins?

DickAllen72
After all the crap from Joe West this team just endured, coupled with winning the two "must win" games (second game last night and last game in Minnesota), I think the Sox are poised to go on another big run and actually win this division.

Even though this was a losing road trip, it has actually fired me up instead of bumming me out.

russ99
08-22-2010, 04:29 PM

So tired of this argument.

We drafted and developed plenty of guys in the late 80s and finished last. Other than Tampa, I can't think of one World Series team the last 10 years that went this route, and they were horrible for 10 years to get there. If you can stomach 10 years of watching a last place team again, more power to ya, but I can't.

If you blame the clubhouse full of 34 year olds on Ozzie, you're misplacing your blame, Jerry's the one who refuses to pay market value for talent in the offseason and Kenny's getting the 34 year olds cause he has only 50 cents to spend.

LoveYourSuit
I will continue to sound like a broken record, but this team is way short on offense in the middle of the order.

Greinke was good today, but hittable. There were many times he left pitches all over HP and all we could do is fight them off.

The bullpen has collapsed as of late, but the offense has let us down for most of the year.

I am actually tipping my hat to the pitching this weekend based on the circumstances. They did more than I expected.

Red Barchetta
3 games during 24 hours! Absolutely stupid scheduling by MLB. All extra innings, all decided by 1 run. 1 of 3, could of or should of won all three. Gotta get better! :mad:

kittle42
08-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Kenny's getting the 34 year olds cause he has only 50 cents to spend.

Can't even buy a newspaper, I tell ya!

Rikirk
08-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Whats wrong Saint?...
Dont like backing a winning team?

Coops4Aces
08-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Whats wrong Saint?...
Dont like backing a winning team?

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2497751&postcount=5

Some people don't give a **** about the Hawks.

LoveYourSuit
08-22-2010, 04:31 PM

We drafted and developed plenty of guys in the late 80s and finished last. Other than Tampa, I can't think of one World Series team the last 10 years that went this route, and they were horrible for 10 years to get there. If you can stomach 10 years of watching a last place team again, more power to ya, but I can't.

If you blame the clubhouse full of 34 year olds on Ozzie, you're misplacing your blame, Jerry's the one who refuses to pay market value for talent in the offseason and Kenny's getting the 34 year olds cause he has only 50 cents to spend.

The payroll arguement is one that is getting me tired too.

The Sox have plenty of $$$ invested on this team to be better than mediocre. Maybe they are paying the wrong guys all that money, I don't know.

LauraJ14
08-22-2010, 04:32 PM
They are making it really hard for me to want to pay that playoff invoice.
Hopefully the day off helps and they are ready to go next week at home but this has been bad 2 weeks of baseball and listening to Hawk is like nails on a chalkboard.

WhiteSox5187

Um, those guys we drafted and developed won us a division title in '93 and almost won another one in 1990 and again in '94. If you're not going to be able to sign every big free agent guy to fix your team (like the Yankees do) you need to draft and develop guys, like the Rays and Twins do. We don't do that. Instead we get mid-tier guys and hope to capture lightening in a bottle. Sometimes it works like in 2005 and 2008, more often than not it doesn't.

johnnyg83
I'm not counting us out, it's just the way we lose.

Banjo hitters, reclamation projects, guys with ERAs over 5.00, no name rookies, Jason Kendall of the .300 SLG average, late leads repeatedly blown, so many men left in scoring position with less than two outs. It's gut wrenching.

And I apologize. I've been complaining the last week or so, but I'm so damn frustrated.

Foulke You
A terrible decision to pitch to the contact hitting veteran Kendall with the winning run at 3B. Not to mention that Kendall was 7 for 13 off Linebrink in his career. Ka'aihue who had no hits the whole weekend was on deck. Why not take your chaces with him? Makes no sense but then again, little has made sense with the Sox of late. Of course, we would have actually had to score a run for it to have mattered. 2 runs on 10 hits...we've had a lot of those games lately. It reminded me a lot of the Alex Avila game against Detroit.

Oh, and I never need to see Cowboy Fat Walrus Joe West ever again. This time Hawk is right on the money. Way to be professional about your grudge against Ozzie, Joe.

kittle42
On the bright side, with Lou retiring, no one will pay attention to this debacle tomorrow!

Rikirk
My appologies...

russ99
08-22-2010, 04:33 PM
It's a lot easier to get a hit when you have more chances to do it. Bunting Pierre over defeats the purpose of having Pierre on the team. He can take bases on his own, and Ozzie won't let him do it when it matters most.

And you guys would be all over Ozzie if Pierre took a chance with the lead run and got thrown out. The guy can't win.

Bunting Pierre over is ensuring a run if anyone can scratch out even a squib hit.

DickAllen72
:whocares

kittle42

OK, the, when does [insert name of team you care about that plays in the fall and winter] start playing?

Rdy2PlayBall
After all the crap from Joe West this team just endured, coupled with winning the two "must win" games (second game last night and last game in Minnesota), I think the Sox are poised to go on another big run and actually win this division.

Even though this was a losing road trip, it has actually fired me up instead of bumming me out.Finally someone else not too weak to be positive. :thumbsup:

Those losses in Minnesota were worth being negative about, I can't fault anyone for being mad about those... But these extra-inning losses is just bad luck.

LoveYourSuit
08-22-2010, 04:34 PM
3 games during 24 hours! Absolutely stupid scheduling by MLB. All extra innings, all decided by 1 run. 1 of 3, could of or should of won all three. Gotta get better! :mad:

I don't buy it. The Royals are using the same clock we are and the same roster size limit.

theamb

They certainly didn't before 08-09

Coops4Aces
My appologies...

You're good, the Sox just have people pissed off right now

theamb
08-22-2010, 04:35 PM
I don't buy it. The Royals are using the same clock we are and the same roster size limit.

In addition to using Joe West as a scapegoat.

The fault is on the Sox and the Sox alone.

kittle42
And you guys would be all over Ozzie if Pierre took a chance with the lead run and got thrown out. The guy can't win.

I disagree. I'd guess like 80% of us wanted the SB attempt in lieu of the bunt. It simply made more sense.

Rikirk
I know the feeling.

white sox bill
08-22-2010, 04:36 PM

Yes agreed with Mary. Every year it seems like some team out there comes from behind much more than 4 games out. Sure the first 2 months sucked, the middle 2 were great and the 5th month its back to sucking. Now if we can get the 6th and final month back to going great, we will win this.

kittle42
08-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Those losses in Minnesota were worth being negative about, I can't fault anyone for being mad about those... But these extra-inning losses is just bad luck.

Yup. What bad luck - having the KC ****ing Royals taking you to extra innings three times in a row and winning twice. Can't catch a break!

Oh, wait, you mean if we had scored more runs than them in the first 9 innings, we wouldn't have needed those extra innings???

Coops4Aces
08-22-2010, 04:38 PM

Bunting Pierre over is ensuring a run if anyone can scratch out even a squib hit.

No way. Pierre leads the league in steals. Most people wanted him running.

Foulke You
08-22-2010, 04:38 PM

Even though this was a losing road trip, it has actually fired me up instead of bumming me out.
Sox can still do it, but we've put ourselves in a position where we need some help from Twins opponents to make it happen. It's not like the Sox have been getting blown out. They've been in every single game and all the losses on this road trip have been 1 run heartbreakers which makes it triple frustrating as a fan.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-22-2010, 04:39 PM
I disagree. I'd guess like 80% of us wanted the SB attempt in lieu of the bunt. It simply made more sense.I disagree. 75% of those 80% would have still found something to bitch about. Ozzie can never win. Even if he pulled of 6 hit and runs, no one here would even notice, because they were too busy complaining Ozzie left the starting pitcher in one pitch too long. Hindsight is a bitch.

Yup. What bad luck - having the KC ****ing Royals taking you to extra innings three times in a row and winning twice. Can't catch a break!
Oh, wait, you mean if we had scored more runs than them in the first 9 innings, we wouldn't have needed those extra innings???You do realize that the bullpen blew the games...? Letting a few guys blow the game late, because of a couple mistakes or a bad outing is bad luck. That's how relievers work. Most of the time they don't give up runs, then sometimes they do. Bad timing. Also, we faced one of the better pitchers in the league, what do you want? You misinterpreted "bad luck" as me saying an eagle stopped one of the Sox balls from going out of the park. I understand.

russ99
Um, those guys we drafted and developed won us a division title in '93 and almost won another one in 1990 and again in '94. If you're not going to be able to sign every big free agent guy to fix your team (like the Yankees do) you need to draft and develop guys, like the Rays and Twins do. We don't do that. Instead we get mid-tier guys and hope to capture lightening in a bottle. Sometimes it works like in 2005 and 2008, more often than not it doesn't.

Well put, but my issue is that you can't do that and have a .500 team for a multiple seasons. And I've seen enough seasons of bad White Sox baseball.

I much prefer Kenny's approach to take a shot at the postseason, and my ire is towards ownership who can pay Edwin Jackson at midseason but cries poor in February.

Look at 2005 and 2008. Both seasons we spent a bit more in the offseason on more established players. If you're going to have the philosophy to go for it, you can't cheap out on the cut-rate Vizquel, Jones and Kotsays, etc. and expect things to work out.

DickAllen72
Finally someone else not too weak to be positive. :thumbsup:

I just have the feeling that going through this stuff after beating the Twins that last game is going to be a catalyst for this team. I think they are going to pull together, rest up tomorrow and come out on fire Tuesday, kicking the crap out of everyone and going on a run that will not be forgotten.

Time will tell, but that's my gut feeling right now.

shingo10
08-22-2010, 04:41 PM
To all who are giving up on the season...why still hang around and be negative? If you're giving up, go. See ya. I'm not saying the Sox are guaranteed to come back and win the divison but, geez it's only August 22! There's OVER a month of baseball to play. Seems like some people take too much joy in the Sox failing because it makes them right in their predictions.

Instead of seeing what happens on this homestand, so many people are throwing in the towel. Thank God this team has had really good bounce-back power. They've been given up on and declared dead too many times to count this year. Yes realistically this was a debacle of a roadtrip but what's done is done. Win at home, gain some ground, see what happens. Way too much of the season left to declare it over.

Boondock Saint
08-22-2010, 04:44 PM

Bull****. It's why we have Pierre. His biggest asset is his ability to steal bases. Putting down a bunt with Pierre on almost completely nullifies his purpose on the team.

kittle42
08-22-2010, 04:45 PM
I disagree. 75% of those 80% would have still found something to bitch about. Ozzie can never win. Even if he pulled of 6 hit and runs, no one here would even notice, because they were too busy complaining Ozzie left the starting pitcher in one pitch too long. Hindsight is a bitch.

It's not hindsight if I wanted him to steal before the call to bunt was made.

You do realize that the bullpen blew the games...? Letting a few guys blow the game late, because of a couple mistakes or a bad outing is bad luck. That's how relievers work. Most of the time they don't give up runs, then sometimes they do. Bad timing. Also, we faced one of the better pitchers in the league, what do you want? You misinterpreted "bad luck" as me saying an eagle stopped one of the Sox balls from going out of the park. I understand.

You call it bad luck. I call it a letting an inferior team beat your ass. Getting into, and then losing, extra inning games is not bad luck.

Quentin08
08-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Last time we left Kansas City (same outcome), we went on a tear, going 9-1 before the All-star break. KC has our number, especially in KC, and we played them tough. The series could've gone either way. The season's not over. I've been hearing that all season, except during our winning streaks, so hopefully we'll go on another one right now (pay back vs Balt) and quiet all the fans who throw in the towel waaaaaaaay too early.

Domeshot17
08-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Well put, but my issue is that you can't do that and have a .500 team for a multiple seasons. And I've seen enough seasons of bad White Sox baseball.

I much prefer Kenny's approach to take a shot at the postseason, and my ire is towards ownership who can pay Edwin Jackson at midseason but cries poor in February.

Look at 2005 and 2008. Both seasons we spent a bit more in the offseason on more established players. If you're going to have the philosophy to go for it, you can't cheap out on the cut-rate Vizquel, Jones and Kotsays, etc. and expect things to work out.

Ozzie pined hard for Omar and Kotsay. While Omar has been nice, he is a below average offensive 3b. Kotsay, even with his little hot streak, is still terrible.

Hopefully next year we do this right. We have a world class rotation in place. We have the core of a good bullpen.

We need to abandon this NL style offense, get guys who can produce and drive in runs, and we will be set. If Ozzie wants to get on board great, if Ozzie wants to cry over his brand of baseball, I am sure we can find a suitable replacement quite easily.

SI1020
08-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Bull****. It's why we have Pierre. His biggest asset is his ability to steal bases. Putting down a bunt with Pierre on almost completely nullifies his purpose on the team. Yes it does, but any criticism of Ozzie, even when it's obvious is not taken well by some. Ozzie is just not a good in game manager. He has not improved his game over time. If you don't like it Ozzie himself will tell you where to go.

kittle42
08-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Seems like some people take too much joy in the Sox failing because it makes them right in their predictions.

Funny, because I don't see one person doing that. Find one and quote them.

Boondock Saint
08-22-2010, 04:51 PM
I disagree. 75% of those 80% would have still found something to bitch about. Ozzie can never win. Even if he pulled of 6 hit and runs, no one here would even notice, because they were too busy complaining Ozzie left the starting pitcher in one pitch too long. Hindsight is a bitch.

Ozzie can't win because he's always making stupid decisions. You're making **** up to support your argument. When did Ozzie pull off a bunch of hit and runs successfully? I can point out numerous times where he had Mark Kotsay DH in a key RBI spot, kept AJ in the middle of the lineup despite not being able to hit the ball all season, kept Beckham in the 9 hole despite finally getting his average up, continually starting/leading off Pierre in April/May while Jones was hot and sitting on the bench, having Teahen starting every day at 3B in April, DHing Kotsay and playing Quentin in the field when Quentin was hurt, etc...

SI1020
08-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Seems like some people take too much joy in the Sox failing because it makes them right in their predictions.
Some say that perception is reality. I perceive a lot of weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth. This is just a brutal spell the Sox are in at the worst possible time. Having opinions about why this is happening is not taking one ounce of joy in this.

Patrick134
08-22-2010, 04:53 PM
If the twins lose and we're still 4 out, that'd be amazing, because it feels like they should be 10 out.

LoveYourSuit
08-22-2010, 04:54 PM
In addition to using Joe West as a scapegoat.

The fault is on the Sox and the Sox alone.

100% Agree.

Malgar 12
08-22-2010, 04:57 PM

I can think of one. They just took two of three from the Sox.

Lip Man 1
08-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Quentin, with respect I guess Baltimore and Cleveland have the Sox number as well...

------------------------------------

I don't know when the last time I saw a Sox club with these kind of numbers:

20-20 in one run games this season HOWEVER they are 2-11 since July 17th in one run games... :o:

13 games lost this year where the Sox had a lead in the 7th inning or later...

4-9 in extra inning games this season...

The usual suspects...no clutch hitting, leaving guys stranded on 3rd base with less than two out and a bullpen that's getting worse every day.

15 more wins for a winning season should be the goal. This is not a postseason club, not with those numbers.

Lip

Red Barchetta
08-22-2010, 04:58 PM

Not an excuse. Just an observation.

arKnaD7
08-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Bobby looked good :dunno:

Dan H
08-22-2010, 04:59 PM
All four losses on the trip were one-run defeats when three coming in extra innings. Good teams find a way to win these games. This was a win they should have had, just like the other three. Unless the team is going into the late innings way ahead, it looks like a loss is right around the corner.

I don't care what the Twins do tonight. Until the Sox can prove they can win these close games, there really isn't any reason to be highly optimistic. We could have, should have, are the refrains of losing teams.

cheezheadsoxfan
08-22-2010, 05:01 PM
It sure would have been nice to product some more offense and take this one. Pretty frustrating but Grienke's no pushover.

My :twocents: on Hawk and the umps: I know there are quite a few on here who think Hawk and in turn Frank go way overboard and are unprofessional with the regular judgement of the umps this weekend. However, in my opinion I think they should talk about it more. It may only be baseball but if someone is being wronged, you are supposed to speak up and get the people who need to take notice to do so. I think it'd be great if the Sox would use some of this evidence to go to whomever they need to (Player's Assoc., MLB, ?) to expose this ****. I don't think they talk about if enough if nothings being done about it. It one thing to miss a call, it's a whole other thing to continually favor one team. Say what you will about me posters who disagree, I think Hawk should keep right on talking.

Yeah. :whiner:

I know a lot of people disagree and say we just have to play over it but I'm with you. Any ump can have a bad day, missing a few, being inconsistent, etc. But this is just blatant.

And you can say that both teams lost a start but the Sox are still in it, KC is not. It affects us a lot more.

Domeshot17
08-22-2010, 05:05 PM
I know a lot of people disagree and say we just have to play over it but I'm with you. Any ump can have a bad day, missing a few, being inconsistent, etc. But this is just blatant.

And you can say that both teams lost a start but the Sox are still in it, KC is not. It affects us a lot more.

Some people make excuses, others find ways to win, this happens in baseball and life.

A. Cavatica
08-22-2010, 05:15 PM
To all who are giving up on the season...why still hang around and be negative? If you're giving up, go. See ya. I'm not saying the Sox are guaranteed to come back and win the divison but, geez it's only August 22! There's OVER a month of baseball to play. Seems like some people take too much joy in the Sox failing because it makes them right in their predictions.

Instead of seeing what happens on this homestand, so many people are throwing in the towel. Thank God this team has had really good bounce-back power. They've been given up on and declared dead too many times to count this year. Yes realistically this was a debacle of a roadtrip but what's done is done. Win at home, gain some ground, see what happens. Way too much of the season left to declare it over.

Good for you. I admire your ability to watch events unfold the same way again and again and expect different results.

Nobody's taking joy in the Sox failing, we are just tired of ownership that sees things the same way you do.

SoxandtheCityTee
08-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Bobby looked good :dunno:

For three full innings, too. I expected that about as much as I expected Pena to go seven. I'll take what consolation I can get, and let's go Angels tonight.

The effects of that dopey startandstop rainout Friday night seemed to cast a pall over the proceedings, to say nothing of Joe West, who IS majorly incompetent if not corrupt. (And Ozzie stayed as quiet as a choirboy today; nobody can say he took the bait.) Chalk it up.

shingo10
08-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Good for you. I admire your ability to watch events unfold the same way again and again and expect different results.

Nobody's taking joy in the Sox failing, we are just tired of ownership that sees things the same way you do.

You can't expect ownership to give up on their product when they still have a realistic shot at the postseason. Next year will take care of itself in the offseason. All I'm saying is that as frustrating as this season has been and is there is still time for a good ending.

harwar
08-22-2010, 05:51 PM
the twins play in texas, starting tomorrow,for 4 games .. the rangers are really tough at home .. we play the orioles who are no longer enjoying the bump of a new manager and are woeful on the road .. i couldn't agree more with the people who think this home stand will be a strong one for the White Sox .. we should be at least tied for 1st by this time next week ..

Dan H
08-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Quentin, with respect I guess Baltimore and Cleveland have the Sox number as well...

------------------------------------

I don't know when the last time I saw a Sox club with these kind of numbers:

20-20 in one run games this season HOWEVER they are 2-11 since July 17th in one run games... :o:

13 games lost this year where the Sox had a lead in the 7th inning or later...

4-9 in extra inning games this season...

The usual suspects...no clutch hitting, leaving guys stranded on 3rd base with less than two out and a bullpen that's getting worse every day.

15 more wins for a winning season should be the goal. This is not a postseason club, not with those numbers.

Lip

I think these numbers say it all.

Additionally, you can't play like the Sox did in April and May and really expect to have a great season. Playing bad for the for first third of the season isn't merely a slump; it is usually an indication of things to come. The Hawkeroo can go into all his fantasy trips to 1983 and remember a team that rebounded to almost win 100 games. This team needs fixing and one way trips to la-la land don't help.

soxlady8
08-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Blah Blah Blah
This game should have been won.
However, I did not expect Pena to be in there for 7 innings yesterday.
This team keeps breaking my heart , but I will wave the white flag at 7 games out.

I really do not know what to expect anymore !

LoveYourSuit
08-22-2010, 05:55 PM

What bounce bank power are you speaking of, the fact that they started to finally play baseball like a contender as expected until June and July mostly when facing the inferior NL?

I agree, it's only August 22nd. I'm not saying this over. But I am very concerned for too many reasons:

- **** offense with no thump in the middle
- a burned out bullpen, with the closer situation up in the air
- Freddy Garcia every fifth day
- a stupid coaching staff
- A Twins team playiing insane baseball with out their MVP

Not being negative, just pointing out some of the facts. Now how are we going to fix this already this late in the season?

Dibbs
08-22-2010, 05:59 PM

We are missing the hits. Mainly because we are giving away outs with the bunts.

Pablo_Honey
08-22-2010, 06:00 PM
You can't expect ownership to give up on their product when they still have a realistic shot at the postseason. Next year will take care of itself in the offseason.
This I agree with. The Sox brass was supposedly going to blow this team but then the team suddenly got lucky and played way above their heads long enough to get back into this thing. Now, it's too late to blow it up. If anything, the Sox brass should just let the team put itself out of misery.

All I'm saying is that as frustrating as this season has been and is there is still time for a good ending.
Fair point, but it's very very hard to be positive after losing to the likeness of the O's and Royals and giving away the division lead to the Twins. Well the glass may be half-full but it is also half-empty. Different people have different ways of seeing things, I guess. To each to his own.

fram40
08-22-2010, 06:03 PM
38 games left - 22 of them at home.

How about a 28 - 10 finish? with a three game sweep of the Twins at home.

soxlady8
08-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Fram40-
that would be great, really great

Do I think that can happen- not a chance :(

trying hard to be optimistic... at 7 games out I am done!
That looks like it could happen next week-

ChiSoxGal85
08-22-2010, 06:25 PM
These last 3 weeks have sucked. The solid bullpen and clutch hitters, who did their jobs during the run in July, seem to have evaporated. They break my heart over and over again...I might need an intervention to get rid of my co-dependency. Hah. But I'm not giving up yet. A lot can happen in a month.

DirtySox
08-22-2010, 06:46 PM
Sitting in the airport waiting on my flight back to Chicago. Had a great time aside from game 1 and 3. From the sounds of it Hawk was even more unbearable then usual. The conspiracy theorists blaming the losses on Joe West are funny though. I think I'm in the camp that isn't expecting much for the rest of the season.

tsoxman
08-22-2010, 06:54 PM

The players we drafted and developed during the late 80s produced the best core of players in my lifetime.

That was a silly statement to make, Russ.

BringHomeDaBacon
08-22-2010, 07:03 PM
We are missing the hits. Mainly because we are giving away outs with the bunts.

Some/Most people around here and Ozzie are too damn infatuated with the bunt to realize this. It began in the opening series in Cleveland when Beckham TWICE bunted Pierre to second in the same game and the same ill-fated logic continues. Rather than jump on a pitcher that allows baserunners with no outs, we consistently choose to do him a favor by giving away an out. Outs should be protected like first borns not thrown away like nickels.

LITTLE NELL
08-22-2010, 07:07 PM
38 games left - 22 of them at home.

How about a 28 - 10 finish? with a three game sweep of the Twins at home.

If we can't beat the Royals and Orioles how the hell are we going to beat NY, Boston and the Twins.

Jurr
08-22-2010, 07:16 PM
If we can't beat the Royals and Orioles how the hell are we going to beat NY, Boston and the Twins.

Exactly. This team caught fire against the NL, and has been horribly mediocre otherwise.

Sunnydre
08-22-2010, 07:53 PM
The Sox have plenty of $$$ invested on this team to be better than mediocre. Maybe they are paying the wrong guys all that money, I don't know.

We have a winner!!

tstrike2000
08-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Hope the Sox players are getting their couch cushions fluffed for October.

doublem23
08-22-2010, 08:47 PM
I didn't even see most of the game, he just seems to be the theme on the tv, radio, facebook, text messages, etc...

Sox should have swept. What a blown opportunity.

That's becoming a theme of the last few weeks.

I didn't expect the Sox to play .700+ ball for the entire season.

But 5-11 against Baltimore, Detroit, Minnesota, and Kansas City? That's just got damn embarrassing.

GoGoCrede
08-22-2010, 09:00 PM
I did not catch the end of the game...but it sounded utterly depressing. Three extra-inning games in 24 hours, and two walkoffs. Brutal. Just brutal. There are no words.

GoGoCrede
08-22-2010, 09:02 PM
I'm with ya there Mary! :gulp: Took the wind out of my sails a bit but I think we can still do this!

I'm with you gals, as horrible as these past weeks have been.

It seems like everyone's numb right now. With as many walkoffs as there have been recently, I can't blame them.

ndgt10
08-22-2010, 09:02 PM
This team was only good against the weak NL.

Face it, the Sox are in the bottom half of AL teams. They're just not good at all and it's comedic the amount of people who think they still have a shot at the division.

KC and the Sox are prerty evenly matched. It's ok to admit it when your team sucks, and the Sox do this year.

Pack it in and dismantle the team. Time to start retooling and developing quality depth in the minors.

guillensdisciple
08-22-2010, 09:05 PM
How many 1 run games are we going to lose?

Wow, this bullpen has doomed us completely since August. What a shame, Minnesota really won't do to well.

Ahh well, hopefully we can make it to the playoffs next year. I won't say yes to this team until this bullpen picks it **** up. We will be in these kind of games the rest of the way, and they need it.

If Minnesota wins today, forget it- season's done.

doublem23
08-22-2010, 09:05 PM
I did not catch the end of the game...but it sounded utterly depressing. Three extra-inning games in 24 hours, and two walkoffs. Brutal. Just brutal. There are no words.

This is like the anti-11 game win streak. Utterly not fun and I expect the Sox to find ways to lose around every corner.

Blegh.

Yay more games against the Orioles!!!

GoGoCrede
08-22-2010, 09:06 PM
This team was only good against the weak NL.

Face it, the Sox are in the bottom half of AL teams. They're just not good at all and it's comedic the amount of people who think they still have a shot at the division.

KC and the Sox are prerty evenly matched. It's ok to admit it when your team sucks, and the Sox do this year.

Pack it in and dismantle the team. Time to start retooling and developing quality depth in the minors.

I think it's a mistake to pack it in until we're mathematically eliminated. Just my opinion.

ndgt10
08-22-2010, 09:08 PM
I think it's a mistake to pack it in until we're mathematically eliminated. Just my opinion.

Doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. The Central division winner is going to get swept by the Yankees in the 1st round anyway.

guillensdisciple
08-22-2010, 09:10 PM
This bullpen implosion happens every summer. Why don't we pay attention to this and put blame on Coop sometimes? This team can't get it together completely.

GoGoCrede
08-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. The Central division winner is going to get swept by the Yankees in the 1st round anyway.

So you'd rather we pack it in now than have a chance to see what we can do in the playoffs?

soltrain21
08-22-2010, 09:13 PM
This bullpen implosion happens every summer. Why don't we pay attention to this and put blame on Coop sometimes? This team can't get it together completely.

Ozzie is the one who "plays the matchups" and brings in 4-5 pitchers a game when, sometimes, he doesn't have to do that.

The bullpen gets tired.

doublem23

I'd still rather make the play-offs than not.

ndgt10
So you'd rather we pack it in now than have a chance to see what we can do in the playoffs?

No, but the end result will be the same.

Btw, this team has the look of one that is mailing it in.

GoGoCrede
08-22-2010, 09:14 PM
I'd still rather make the play-offs than not.

Yep. A celebration like the Blackout Game is still a huge thrill for the fans, no matter what happens in the playoffs.

Coops4Aces
08-22-2010, 09:19 PM

Not all of them. Jenks with a fist pump today, showing emotions is good.

mcsoxfan
08-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Agreed! However, its the same old story... one part of the team totally shows up, another part of the team craps the bed.

I think the Sox should consider making Jenks a starter.
He has developed enough pitches to be an effective 4th or 5th.
Middle relief won't work because he can't be used the 3 times a week Guillen would use him.

Jenks could be the second coming of Wilbur Wood.

doublem23
08-22-2010, 09:24 PM

Okay, man, fine, you think the Sox are done, that's a totally valid opinion to have, but there's no point in trying to "prove" how right you are. At this point now it's just a matter of belief, if you think the Sox can find it and pull this off or if you think they're done.

Boondock Saint
08-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Ozzie is the one who "plays the matchups" and brings in 4-5 pitchers a game when, sometimes, he doesn't have to do that.

The bullpen gets tired.

Exactly. Cooper (and every other pitching coach in existence, for that matter) can't teach his guys to get more rest out of the limited time off their manager gives them.

CLR01
08-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Middle relief won't work because he can't be used the 3 times a week Guillen would use him.

Why? Has jenks ever shown the ablility to be effective for more than an inning or two?

doublem23
08-22-2010, 09:26 PM

Guy's body is breaking down less than 50 IP into the year now. He's progressively thrown less innings every year since his first full MLB season in 2006. You really think he can hold it together for 200-ish IP over 35 starts?

Let me just make it clear that I love Bobby and still consider him one of the heroes from 2005, even if he wasn't 100% effective in the World Series, his presence I think had a huge effect on the team getting that far, when Shingo and Hermanson fell apart midway through that season, Jenks saved the bullpen, IMO. So he'll always hold a special place for me. But it's time to start thinking about life after Jenks. He's had a nice career, 169 career saves is good for #60 in baseball history. The guy's had a career more special than maybe all but the top 5-10% of all MLB players. Given the unpredictable nature of bullpen work, he's been an incredibly stable rock for the Sox the past 4-5 years. Saying he's finished isn't a dismissal of all the wonderful things he's done in our pinstripes, it's just being able to read the writing on the wall.

GoGoCrede
08-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Why? Has jenks ever shown the ablility to be effective for more than an inning or two?

I thought it was implied teal. :?: I hope?

Noneck
08-22-2010, 09:29 PM
You really think he can hold it together for 200-ish IP over 35 starts?
Yea if he gets a knuckler.

doublem23
08-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Yea if he gets a knuckler.

Somebody call Charlie Hough.

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-BO433_charli_20080604172843.jpg
Work with me kid and you'll pitch until 2025.

Brian26
08-22-2010, 09:35 PM

Wilbur Wood threw a knuckleball, the least stressful pitch on a pitcher's body.

kittle42
08-22-2010, 09:50 PM

He pitched three today. Let's make him a starter!

JB98
08-22-2010, 10:18 PM
It's getting a little late in the season to be squandering games against bad teams. The Sox just can't dominate the bottom-feeders (except for Seattle) the way they should. It's nothing new. It's been going on for years.

The holes in the Sox roster tend to get exposed every year in August.

Nellie_Fox
08-23-2010, 12:29 AM
Whats wrong Saint?...
Dont like backing a winning team?I'm a Hawks fan, but I get seriously pissed every year when, late in the season, people start posting about looking forward to the Bears, the Bulls, the Hawks, whatever. You've quit on the Sox? Fine. But another team's season coming up doesn't make it better.

OK, the, when does [insert name of team you care about that plays in the fall and winter] start playing?See above. I don't care when they start playing. Their season doesn't make the Sox season different.

Funny, because I don't see one person doing that. Find one and quote them.They are all over the place. Oh, they don't say, "yippee, the Sox lost again, I'm right." No, they're more subtle. It's the old "this season is over. I hope I'm wrong" gambit. They can say " I told you so" or they can celebrate. No-loss situation.

Btw, this team has the look of one that is mailing it in.No, it doesn't. They've battled in every game. It just hasn't been enough. But they are definitely not "mailing it in."

WhiteSox5187
08-23-2010, 12:34 AM
I'm a Hawks fan, but I get seriously pissed every year when, late in the season, people start posting about looking forward to the Bears, the Bulls, the Hawks, whatever. You've quit on the Sox? Fine. But another team's season coming up doesn't make it better.

See above. I don't care when they start playing. Their season doesn't make the Sox season different.

They are all over the place. Oh, they don't say, "yippee, the Sox lost again, I'm right." No, they're more subtle. It's the old "this season is over. I hope I'm wrong" gambit. They can say " I told you so" or they can celebrate. No-loss situation.

No, it doesn't. They've battled in every game. It just hasn't been enough. But they are definitely not "mailing it in."

You're right, they aren't mailing it in, they are just flat out getting beat.

Nellie_Fox
08-23-2010, 12:41 AM
You're right, they aren't mailing it in, they are just flat out getting beat.I can't argue with that.

whitesox4eva
08-23-2010, 12:48 AM
Cy Greinke....Oh wait :tongue:...season is ovah :rolleyes:

ChiSoxGirl
08-23-2010, 02:17 AM
Since the All Star Break Sunday has not been my favorite day of the week and apparently not the Sox' either.

Lip

It hasn't been YOUR favorite day of the week?! Have you read my TBGRs this season?! If not, check out my most recent statistic update (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2601392&postcount=2). No one has more of a right to hate Sundays than me! :mad: :tongue:

Jollyroger2
08-23-2010, 07:23 AM
You're right, they aren't mailing it in, they are just flat out getting beat.

That's generous. They may not be mailing it in every night, but they are on some nights. I sat in Baltimore for three of those four games and saw a team that was lackadaisacal, lazy, and making stupid mistakes. A lot of the same stuff has carried over. They shouldn't have to be battling against bottom feeders.

But then again, they've been a below avg team all season except for the brief hot run they had.

hawkjt
08-23-2010, 08:01 AM
That's generous. They may not be mailing it in every night, but they are on some nights. I sat in Baltimore for three of those four games and saw a team that was lackadaisacal, lazy, and making stupid mistakes. A lot of the same stuff has carried over. They shouldn't have to be battling against bottom feeders.

But then again, they've been a below avg team all season except for the brief hot run they had.

38-12 is a 50 game run. They have played 124 games. That''brief hot run'' would be over 40% of the games total games played in the 2010 season.. Over 40% is not brief.

It is easy to give up right now. For the fans,anyway. Sorry, but you are mistaken about ''mailing it in''. They have lost games,made mistakes,not hit, struggled out of the bullpen ,even the rotation,but they have not quit.

It is pretty rare to see teams quit. Anyone think KC has quit? These guys have their careers and millions at stake. If they are totally stupid,maybe they quit, but most understand the concept of the difference between making millions and being Jermaine Dyed.

Sox are 5 back with 38 to play...been in better positions,no doubt, but also are closer than all but 4 teams in the AL to making the playoffs. Sox have the best chance to edge out one of the top 4,clearly,and that is not nothing. Same people that gave up in 2008 going into the last Sunday of the season down 2 games are giving up down 5 with 38 to play, I suspect.
If you had a choice of those two options,which one would you take? Me? I take being down 5 with 38 to play over down 2 on the last sunday. Go Sox,beat the O's...and go Rangers.

Bobby Jenks
08-23-2010, 10:25 AM

This

We really do need to replenish our farm system. Look at the rays and Twins. They have pitchers and players that could start for some teams. Rays just sent down a guy that was 3-0 with a 2.05 era. I just wish that we had guys we could plug in and not miss a beat.

hi im skot
08-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Three extra-inning games in 24 hours, and two walkoffs. Brutal. Just brutal. There are no words.

They're even worse when you drove 6 hours each way to witness the carnage.

I found out that KC BBQ truly is as awesome as people say, though.

DirtySox
08-23-2010, 11:03 AM
They're even worse when you drove 6 hours each way to witness the carnage.

I found out that KC BBQ truly is as awesome as people say, though.

Yep. I went to Arthur Bryant's for the first time. Delicious.

jdm2662
08-23-2010, 11:12 AM
For those suggesting they are mailing it in, you are simply wrong. In years past, when the Twins got off to big starts, they usually say woe is us and mail it in. They didn't. They fought back twice only to come up short. Thorton's pitch to Thome was barely over 90 and placed in the spot where Thome likes to hit. The next day, we learn he is having arm problems. Not exactly encouraging for a guy entering his third inning of work. In the past, they would've simply gave up in the third game, but they won 11-0. Mailing it in would've had them losing 11-0.

They are simply a worn out team that is simply getting beat. Nothing more, nothing less. You can fight and claw all you want, but sometimes, it just isn't enough. In anything, if you don't have the man power, you are going to come up short in the end. It sucks that it's happening, but it's life. There is a difference than simply saying "oh, they don't care, they are mailing it in!"

EdHerman12
08-23-2010, 11:23 AM
:hawk

This is just not right!......

guillensdisciple
08-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Mentally, I don't know how the Sox can take all these late inning losses. Sooner or later something is going to have to give.