GoGoCrede
08-22-2010, 01:14 AM
Thank God.

MARTINMVP
08-22-2010, 01:14 AM
Wow...

Dub25
08-22-2010, 01:15 AM
If you wouldve told me Garcia and Pana would combine for 13 2/3, I wouldve expected a sweep but I guess I willtake the split.

JermaineDye05
I'm still disappointed. We could have easily swept this double header and gained a game on the Twins. As it stands, we are still four back.

WhiteSox5187
As Hawk said, a loss there would have been devastating. The pen is a huge problem right now (all those innings racked up earlier have come around to take their toll).

GoGoCrede
I'm still disappointed.

Me too, I could have been asleep 15 minutes ago. :redneck

JB98
Well, it's not pretty. Fortunately, they don't ask how, they ask how many.

Four back with 39 to play. It's not ideal, but it's not terrible either. And it could have very easily been worse.

Need seven or eight out of Danks tomorrow. The off day will be welcome on Monday.

twinsuck
08-22-2010, 01:16 AM
thank you thank you thank thank you. Now I can sleep tonight.

Jollyroger2
I'm still disappointed. We could have easily swept this double header and gained a game on the Twins. As it stands, we are still four back.

Agree completely. Another lost opportunity, but that's not new to this team.

GoGoCrede
If you wouldve told me Garcia and Pana would combine for 13 2/3, I wouldve expected a sweep but I guess I willtake the split.

I like your title better, glad it was the one picked. :)

WhiteSox5187
08-22-2010, 01:19 AM
The game tomorrow is at one, right? So guys should be at the park by about ten or so? Hope the hotel is close to the stadium!

Crooked Number
08-22-2010, 01:20 AM
After enduring seven hours of agonizing, gut wrenching Sox baseball I am just glad they finally won. Brain is about to explode, so much ineptitude, so many RISP failures. However, Pena was nails. He had the hiccup in the fourth, but other than that he pitched great considering the circumstances. What a perfomance, he deserved the win.

White Sox baseball: Winning By Attrition.

Get Grienke today. We need you Johnny Danks.

Crestani
08-22-2010, 01:22 AM

And we could have just as easily lost both games the way our Bullpen is imploding..!!:redface:

LoveYourSuit
08-22-2010, 01:22 AM
With wins being so hard to come, take them any which way.

Have to win tomorrow.

Nelfox02
08-22-2010, 01:23 AM
huge W no doubt, sorta in the same mold as the final game in Minn.....

4 out sucks, but there just something about 5 out. that seems to feel a lot worse.......dont wanna get to that point

Win a series, gain a game hopefully if Weaver shuts down the Twinks, and hope to see the Twins at best split in Tex while we pay back Baltimore for that awful weekend.........

get back to 2 out.......then I really feel we are back in this thing

Brian26
08-22-2010, 01:23 AM

I'm still hung up on the two or three games we've handed the Twins on a silver platter (Thome's Tuesday night bomb, the Jenks Sunday afternoon meltdown). We should be, at the worst, tied for the division lead right now.

Lip Man 1
08-22-2010, 01:25 AM
It's a win at least.

But this bullpen...man. Amazing what one injury to Jenks led to. But when you think about it the Sox were playing a man short even when everybody was healthy Linebrink is now only used in desperate situations and even them he rarely gets a one-two-three inning.

Still hope they may be able to do something via waivers.

Pena gets a big tip of the cap tonight, he like Garcia deserved better.

Funny how Betemit plays against the Sox, guess he only plays well when his club is 20 games out or so.

Lip

shingo10
08-22-2010, 01:26 AM
Good grief.

Pena was awesome. Hitting was clutch in the 10th. Bullpen...Yikes.

Let's find a way to get the series tomorrow. That would be a HUGE win.

Lip Man 1
08-22-2010, 01:27 AM
Brian:

Since the All Star Break you can say that about a number of games. This bullpen collapse reminds me of what happened in 96.

Lip

Nelfox02
08-22-2010, 01:31 AM
Brian:

Since the All Star Break you can say that about a number of games. This bullpen collapse reminds me of what happened in 96.

Lip

honestly

is the only guy that anyone feels comfortable seeing come in Sale? and he has just a handful of appearances?

what the hell do you do with jenks the rest of the way? obviously he cant close anymore.....can he even set up????

Nellie_Fox
08-22-2010, 01:31 AM
Thank you Tony Peņa. What a gutsy performance. He's earned consideration for more starts.

WhiteSox5187
08-22-2010, 01:33 AM
It's a win at least.

But this bullpen...man. Amazing what one injury to Jenks led to. But when you think about it the Sox were playing a man short even when everybody was healthy Linebrink is now only used in desperate situations and even them he rarely gets a one-two-three inning.

Still hope they may be able to do something via waivers.

Pena gets a big tip of the cap tonight, he like Garcia deserved better.

Funny how Betemit plays against the Sox, guess he only plays well when his club is 20 games out or so.

Lip

As I recall it wasn't an injury, he went on the bereavement list when we were in Texas and since he's been back he hasn't been the same guy.

The whole pen is collapsing. People pointed out in April and May that our lack of a long man meant that the pen had to eat up a lot of innings and now those innings are coming back to bite us.

WhiteSox5187
08-22-2010, 01:38 AM
Also, what was the report on Teahen? I got an ESPN alert saying he left with a finger injury, did he re-injure it?

Nellie_Fox
08-22-2010, 01:40 AM
Also, what was the report on Teahen? I got an ESPN alert saying he left with a finger injury, did he re-injure it?that's what it looked like. He got his bare hand in the way of a bad hop, shook his hand before throwing the runner out, then left the game. I hope it was just precautionary.

Soxman219
08-22-2010, 01:40 AM
A win's a win I guess.......

guillensdisciple
08-22-2010, 01:42 AM
This Bullpen is key to us winning this thing.

I do not think this can happen anymore, or we will find ourselves in a hole too deep.

Pitching has to get to form, this offense has performed exceptionally.

Foulke You
08-22-2010, 01:43 AM
After enduring seven hours of agonizing, gut wrenching Sox baseball I am just glad they finally won. Brain is about to explode, so much ineptitude, so many RISP failures. However, Pena was nails. He had the hiccup in the fourth, but other than that he pitched great considering the circumstances. What a perfomance, he deserved the win.

White Sox baseball: Winning By Attrition.

Get Grienke today. We need you Johnny Danks.
I think those two games were as tough on the fans as they were the players. Heck, the last two weeks have featured a lot of gut wrenching games. I don't know what is worse, the bullpen blow-ups or the RISP failures. I think I've gotten used to the RISP failures in the last 3 years so for me, the bullpen blow-ups are the toughest to swallow.

Also, on an unrelated note, did a Sox fan run over Yuniesky Betancourt's dog or something? Did someone on the Sox say something about his mother before the game? That was a crap ton of Sox killing on display today. Oh, and a big **** you to Wilson Betemit who did absolutely nothing in a Sox uniform but feels the need to hit HRs and doubles against us now. Mercy!

Lip Man 1
08-22-2010, 01:45 AM
5187:

I was referring to the back injury myself since not only did Jenks miss time but it appeared he lost his effectiveness. I think the back is still causing him some issues.

And it looks to me that he's put weight back on since spring training.

No matter. He's gone after this season anyway. The question is who replaces him as closer next season.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
08-22-2010, 01:48 AM
5187:

I was referring to the back injury myself since not only did Jenks miss time but it appeared he lost his effectiveness. I think the back is still causing him some issues.

And it looks to me that he's put weight back on since spring training.

No matter. He's gone after this season anyway. The question is who replaces him as closer next season.

Lip

He wasn't particularly effective before he hurt his back. But there was a period right before he went on the bereavement list where he was just lights out. He went on it and hasn't been the same since. I think the bullpens more recent struggles are more related to the innings that have racked up (and the dog days of August) than of being moved up a bit.

nccwsfan
08-22-2010, 01:49 AM
Glad for the win, but it's been a gut wrenching week to watch this bullpen...5 blown saves since last Saturday! Situational hitting might not be ideal but they're doing enough for this team to win games.

Let's hope they can win the series tomorrow.

TDog
08-22-2010, 02:19 AM
As Hawk said, a loss there would have been devastating. The pen is a huge problem right now (all those innings racked up earlier have come around to take their toll).

Really, White Sox relievers shouldn't be overworked. Often earlier in the season, Guillen was criticized for leaving his starters in too long, and he has tried to use Pena and Linebrink when he can. Road losses generally are easier on the bullpen because they usually only require eight innings of pitching, although two of the last three White Sox road losses were extra-inning games.

Coming into tonight's games, Pena led the bullpen in innings with 63. No one else is close. Jenks, Putz and Thornton and Linebrink were in the 40s.

Santos might be overworked. He pitched less than 29 minor league innings (after converting from shortstop) coming into this season. He might be fatigued by the long season. Tonight he went over 40 innings as a rookie.

For the Twins, though, Capps has pitched 57 innings, including his time with the Nationals. Guerrier had 56 coming into today's game. Crain had 52. Rauch had 44 innings, but he has been replaced as the closer and now seems to be assuming the role the White Sox have assigned to Linebrink. And yet, the Twins bullpen had the lowest bullpen ERA in the league coming into today's game. I have been waiting for the Twins bullpen to collapse, but the better-rested, less frequently worked White Sox bullpen has handed the Twins the division lead.

It isn't that the White Sox have a bad bullpen. The bullpen should be one of the team's strengths. This isn't the Aardsma-Cisco-Logan-MacDougal bullpen of a few seasons ago. Baseball analysts talked in April about the ability of the 2010 White Sox to shorten games once they got leads, but they weren't getting the opportunity. In August, opportunities abound, and they have been met with failure.

Maybe winning the second game tonight with Putz on the hill an inning after Putz blew his third save opportunity in eight days will help the bullpen get over any psychological block.

Of course, Reyes is going to be down for at least three days. Certainly, he won't come in as a long man for at least four days. When he got through the first, I expected he would only be strong for three innings, but he shut out the Royals in six of his seven innings, bookending a four-run fourth. For a pitcher who is usually only good for one trip through the batting order on his good days, he pitched great.

The Sox should have swept today and only be three out. Strike that. If he Sox had won the games where their bullpen blew in the late innings since last weekend, they would be, should be in first place.

If the Sox bullpen has this out of their system, so to speak, the Twins bullpen appears ready to crash and could still make this an interesting race.

cub killer
08-22-2010, 02:19 AM
Haha, the way they pronounce "Pena", you'd think it was spelled "Pana".

2005 World Series game 3 ended at about 1:20 am. This game ended a little bit earlier. What other night owl games have we had since that night?

hawkjt
08-22-2010, 02:31 AM
Could have been a great day for the Sox, could have been a disaster...we get the mixed bag. When you lose the first game, especially like that, all you can do is win the second game.
Very glad they have monday off, after this weekend.
Tomorrow's game...huge.
Twins face Weaver,and lost Slowey and Mahay to the DL today..blackburn back up..
Win tomorrow, then cool off the O's.

guillensdisciple
08-22-2010, 02:46 AM
Could have been a great day for the Sox, could have been a disaster...we get the mixed bag. When you lose the first game, especially like that, all you can do is win the second game.
Very glad they have monday off, after this weekend.
Tomorrow's game...huge.
Twins face Weaver,and lost Slowey and Mahay to the DL today..blackburn back up..
Win tomorrow, then cool off the O's.

The Twins are in trouble. The Sox bullpen has to find itself and we will take this thing. This week could be huge ground pick up for us.

I guess we could have taken both, but I like the fact that we finally broke out of the 1 run games losing streak. This might secure the bullpen mentally.

P.S. I did not see the first game but saw that Sale was throwing 100. Holy ****!!!!!!! How is this kid going to start with an arm like that- that's a ****ing cannon. Shame that he walked the guy, but I would have left him in.

SoxSpeed22
08-22-2010, 02:54 AM
That is beyond a miracle than what we got from Pena. Nice homer from Castro and Beckham had a great game. After the first game, it is a plus.

Dan H
08-22-2010, 04:04 AM
A sweep would have been great but at least Sox fans of my generation didn't have to re-live another Kansas City disaster. In 1967, the Sox were forced to play a late September DH in Kansas City against the A's before that team moved to Oakland. They lost both and were effectively were eliminated from the race. A DH loss here would have just as devastating.

Pena going seven was great and this day could have been so much worse. Yet is frustrating to see team lose these one-run games.

I don't know why everybody thinks the Twins are so unbeatable. They gave up 23 runs in three games to the Sox and Angels have now put a nine-spot. This division is winnable. The question remains if the Sox bulllpen can protect any small lead going into the late innings. If it can't, it won't matter much what the Twins do.

soxfan1965
08-22-2010, 05:42 AM
A sweep would have been great but at least Sox fans of my generation didn't have to re-live another Kansas City disaster. In 1967, the Sox were forced to play a late September DH in Kansas City against the A's before that team moved to Oakland. They lost both and were effectively were eliminated from the race. A DH loss here would have just as devastating.

Pena going seven was great and this day could have been so much worse. Yet is frustrating to see team lose these one-run games.

I don't know why everybody thinks the Twins are so unbeatable. They gave up 23 runs in three games to the Sox and Angels have now put a nine-spot. This division is winnable. The question remains if the Sox bulllpen can protect any small lead going into the late innings. If it can't, it won't matter much what the Twins do. Wow I was thinking the same thing, losing a late season DH in 1967 to a sub-par KC team as a season killer, I remember that well. To me this was a big hurdle to have avoided the KC sweep. And if you win a game with Pena, Linebrink and Putz, things may be looking up. I agree, don't think the Twins are invincible. Hopefully this thing will come down to the last day of the season, and if it means a another one game playoff with the Twins, I can envision a walk off game winning base hit by Omar to duplicate the walk off HR by Thome.

LITTLE NELL
08-22-2010, 06:20 AM
Woulda, coulda , shoulda.
We were so close to winning all 5 games on this trip, one pitch here, one pitch there, some smart baserunning and we could be going for a 6-0 trip instead of hoping for a .500 trip.
I've got to give the boys some credit for coming back to win games after some devastating losses

harwar
08-22-2010, 06:45 AM
Yea, i think the twins are entering rough seas with their pitching, we'll see .. i think the only guy from the BP who's problem is actually physical is Sergio, because he is just plain out of gas and not used to pitching all these innings .. with the possible exception of Bobby Jenks and his back problems .. i think his blown saves got everyone doing it .. i've seen that before in bullpens and on defense .. it's contagious .. i fully expect it to turn around and they will be fine .. i also expect to be back in 1st place before too long .. the rangers have been struggling but they are really good at home and the twins are headed to texas after today for a 4 game set ..

tstrike2000
08-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Simple, we need a Twin loss today and of course a Sox win, go into the off day 3 back and then take into that 3 game lead going into the week.

manders_01
08-22-2010, 10:42 AM
The game tomorrow is at one, right? So guys should be at the park by about ten or so? Hope the hotel is close to the stadium!

About 15-20 minutes. Not terrible.

delben91
08-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Woulda, coulda , shoulda.
We were so close to winning all 5 games on this trip, one pitch here, one pitch there, some smart baserunning and we could be going for a 6-0 trip instead of hoping for a .500 trip.
I've got to give the boys some credit for coming back to win games after some devastating losses

It depends...

If you consider the Sox a good team, then at least 2 of those devastating losses shouldn't happen to a good team.

If you consider the Sox a team on the outside looking in, then sure, they can get brownie points for putting up a good fight.

manders_01
08-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Also, what was the report on Teahen? I got an ESPN alert saying he left with a finger injury, did he re-injure it?

that's what it looked like. He got his bare hand in the way of a bad hop, shook his hand before throwing the runner out, then left the game. I hope it was just precautionary.

Report this morning is that it is a bruised middle finger, x-rays negative. Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100821&content_id=13741952&notebook_id=13776146&vkey=notebook_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

Chez
08-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Report this morning is that it is a bruised middle finger, x-rays negative. Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100821&content_id=13741952&notebook_id=13776146&vkey=notebook_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

Hopefully he can still swing a bat with this injury. I like him as our DH against righthanders.

manders_01
08-22-2010, 10:59 AM
I was exhausted by the fifth inning of the second game last night, I can only imagine how the players were feeling. Very glad we pulled out the win, certainly needed that. Hope Danks and the boys can have a good day today and go into the day off on a high note.

I can't help but wonder if there's a severe mental block going on with this team. When I think back to their first winning streak, they just seem completely different. I hope if that is the case, they can turn things around soon. I don't expect or even need them to go on an 11 game streak again but we need to be able to string a couple together at a time to truly be effective.

Don't stop now boys!!! :gulp:

TDog
08-22-2010, 11:06 AM

There won't be any batting practice before today's game.

In the early 1970s, in a union agreement, put an end to day games after twi-night doubleheaders and night games before day doubleheaders. In those those, day-night doubleheaders were only allowed in Boston because of the capacity issue (Wrigley Field with a similar capacity, didn't have lights, of course).

Day-night doublehears still require special waivers, and Kansas City's ticket situation apparently doesn't rise meet the requirements, as I understand it, So you were left with either playing a night doubleheader (starting outside of the Saturday television window) or a Sunday doubleheader that could affect travel arrangements.

The effect is that although neither of today's starting pitchers played last night, they will be facing tired regulars in the lineup. At least one White Sox catcher will catch a day game after a night game.

You would think there is a strong advantage to the pitchers, but it doesn't always work out that way.

Tragg
08-22-2010, 11:10 AM
I'd like to see Pena get more starts. He throws relief like Jesus Pena; but this start was pretty decent. We may need him...I think we'll have to trade Danks or Floyd to get some talent onto this team, and Danks is about to become really, really expensive.

Ozzie keeps the team playing hard. But his stubborness has become a real anchor - the bunting- my gawd at exactly the perfect time to kill a rally.

jdm2662
08-22-2010, 11:32 AM
I don't know why everybody thinks the Twins are so unbeatable. They gave up 23 runs in three games to the Sox and Angels have now put a nine-spot. This division is winnable. The question remains if the Sox bulllpen can protect any small lead going into the late innings. If it can't, it won't matter much what the Twins do.

Sadly, it's the mentality brought on with the team and fan base over the years. The Twins still have a very good lineup, but their pitching kind of blows. I have plenty of faith the Twins will struggle down the stretch. I don't have the same faith, however, that the Sox will have enough to over take them. WAYYYY too many blown leads to my liking. Hopefully, this bug will go away, and the Sox win it.

TDog
08-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Sadly, it's the mentality brought on with the team and fan base over the years. The Twins still have a very good lineup, but their pitching kind of blows. I have plenty of faith the Twins will struggle down the stretch. I don't have the same faith, however, that the Sox will have enough to over take them. WAYYYY too many blown leads to my liking. Hopefully, this bug will go away, and the Sox win it.

It's more of the mindset of the fans than the team, although people take some of the comments from players as though there is a mindset on the team. The Sox don't roll over against the Twins, but they lose anyway. As bad as Tuesday night's loss was and with the Twins grabbing a first-inning lead Wednesday, the Sox still came back to take the lead Wednesday and blew the Twins out Thursday. And the playoff game the Twins lost in 2008 was to the White Sox.

I haven't seen a contending White Sox team seemingly look so weak in August (I don't even consider 2005 because that wild and incredible ride ended so happily to wash away everything from Rowand bunting foul a third strike in the last October game to the "historic collapse") since 1977 when the Sox began August with a 5-12 record against division contenders after grabbing a 5.5 game lead at the end of July. The 1977 White Sox turned out to be a legitimately bad team in August and September, but that was because they had no pitching and the hitting stopped making up for it.

I am hoping the recent bullpen problems prove a bad streak in a season of highs and lows. I am hoping the Twins overuse of their bullpen catches up with them and they go through what the White Sox have been going through in August and in their big new outdoor stadium their hitting can't cover up their pitching weaknesses.

The current evidence points to two possibilities for the season. White Sox fans are cynical and tend to expect failure while demanding perfection and being afraid of the Twins. We tend to be a pessimistic lot.

Lip Man 1
08-22-2010, 04:37 PM
TDog:

Don't absolve the Sox themselves from being "afraid" of the Twins. From Hawk, to Ozzie to the players they seem to expect bad things to happen and often they do.

Sox fans are cynical and pessimistic in general in my opinion. They have good reason for such...two World Series appearances since 1919 tend to do that.

Lip

mcsoxfan
08-22-2010, 09:05 PM
What is the big deal about Pena.
His ERA is over 5.
He gave up 4 runs in the same inning.
Nothing different.
The fact that he started rather than relieved just gave the Sox more time to recover.

Nellie_Fox
08-22-2010, 11:48 PM
What is the big deal about Pena.
His ERA is over 5.
He gave up 4 runs in the same inning.
Nothing different.
The fact that he started rather than relieved just gave the Sox more time to recover.The big deal is that he was a long reliever making a spot start. If you get five innings in that situation, it's good. Peņa gave them seven. He had one bad inning. It saved the bullpen from being completely fried. Unfortunately, it didn't make the difference today, but it could have, very easily.