PDA

View Full Version : Do you like listening to Frank in the booth?

GoGoCrede
08-22-2010, 01:00 AM
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are. Personally, I like him, though I didn't realize how much silence Stone fills up with his commentary. Lots of silence tonight during the game (though maybe they were just tired). I did like that Frank joined in on Hawk's home run call.

Would you like to hear him again?

EDIT - Oops, should be "listening TO Frank."

shingo10
08-22-2010, 01:07 AM
As I said in the Gamethread, I've found it to be very enjoyable listening to him and Hawk. Frank is so calm and soft-spoken that it makes for a very relaxing broadcast. Which is good because watching the Sox currently is a very tense and frustrating thing to do.

I do think Hawk and Stone have developed some real good chemistry this year though. A LOT better than last year.

But yes I would take Frank every time over Mike Huff or Stone solo.

Sockinchisox
08-22-2010, 01:18 AM
Someone must have told him about his excessive "no doubt about it" use. I don't think I've heard it at all today.

whitesoxfan
08-22-2010, 01:38 AM
He still says a lot of extremely obvious things. He's a rookie at TV, so I'm willing to give him a pass for now.

He's still not very good, though.

WhiteSox5187
08-22-2010, 02:14 AM
Maybe he'll get better at it, but right now he's awful and adds nothing to the game as far as I'm concerned.

spongyfungy
08-22-2010, 02:15 AM
No

MARTINMVP
08-22-2010, 02:16 AM
Frank has the potential to get better, I think.

I don't want to see Hawk and Stone broken up - and I hope the suggestions that they don't get along are not true. How good would Hawk look if a third partnership was broken up because of his massive ego?

That said, if Frank improves, maybe they can put him on the radio side, where that broadcast is awkward and a bit too dry at times. I want to like Farmer and DJ. The two of them together is just ehhhh.

WhiteSox5187
08-22-2010, 02:20 AM

I don't want to see Hawk and Stone broken up - and I hope the suggestions that they don't get along are not true. How good would Hawk look if a third partnership was broken up because of his massive ego?

That said, if Frank improves, maybe they can put him on the radio side, where that broadcast is awkward and a bit too dry at times. I want to like Farmer and DJ. The two of them together is just ehhhh.

Farmer and Frank would suck. DJ and Frank would suck. Frank is not made for radio...then again neither is DJ or Farmer.

GoGoCrede
08-22-2010, 02:20 AM
Farmer and Frank would suck. DJ and Frank would suck. Frank is not made for radio...then again neither is DJ or Farmer.

I like LoveYourSuit's idea in the game thread about having Hawk, Stone, and Frank all in the booth. Could be interesting if they do it for a handful of games.

shingo10
08-22-2010, 02:31 AM

Where have these suggestions surfaced? And when? Just curious.

WhiteSox5187
08-22-2010, 02:36 AM
I like LoveYourSuit's idea in the game thread about having Hawk, Stone, and Frank all in the booth. Could be interesting if they do it for a handful of games.

Hawk and Stone already talk over each other enough as it is. Frank might be a good studio analyst but that's about it. For whatever it is worth, I think that for the most part hitters aren't able to provide a lot of great commentary. And a guy who was really a one sided player like Frank can't offer a lot of commentary on defense or pitching. All he can do is talk about hitting and honestly at times tonight I was waiting for him to say "So and so should hit the ball hard here. That is what I would do."

Nellie_Fox
08-22-2010, 02:39 AM
...honestly at times tonight I was waiting for him to say "So and so should hit the ball hard here. That is what I would do."But he didn't, so what's your point? I thought he wasn't bad for his lack of experience. It's not like there was no analysis at all. He talked about some things only a really good hitter understands.

WhiteSox5187
08-22-2010, 02:46 AM
But he didn't, so what's your point? I thought he wasn't bad for his lack of experience. It's not like there was no analysis at all. He talked about some things only a really good hitter understands.

My point is that in my own opinion he added nothing to the discussion of the game that couldn't be figured out by watching the game. Stone, who is in my opinion the best color guy around so perhaps comparing Frank to him is a bit unfair, offers some nuggets that I wouldn't have thought of and can break down the game very well. Frank didn't do anything like that, the most he offered was "Beatencourt knows JJ from their years in Seattle," and "Maier gets a lot of bloop hits off of us." Ok. Now, granted it can be exceedingly hard for a guy to offer lots of wisdom into a game, so I would settle for some chemistry. There was absolutely no chemistry between Frank and Hawk. I thought it was painful to listen to.

Nellie_Fox
08-22-2010, 02:57 AM
...the most he offered was "Beatencourt knows JJ from their years in Seattle," and "Maier gets a lot of bloop hits off of us." No, that's not the most he offered. I didn't expect to have to quote him, so I didn't take notes, but he talked about what pitch to look for in certain situations; he talked about not going to the plate looking for a pitch you can't handle anyway; he talked about pitchers not understanding what gets hitters out.

ChicagoG19
08-22-2010, 03:23 AM
They need to bring Robin Ventura back into the TV or radio booth.

oeo
08-22-2010, 03:38 AM
Where have these suggestions surfaced? And when? Just curious.

Yeah, if they don't get along, they're VERY good at hiding it.

SI1020
08-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Yeah, if they don't get along, they're VERY good at hiding it. That's what professionals do in any workplace. That being said, I have no idea if they do or don't get along well personally.

tstrike2000
08-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Like most Sox fans, I love the Big Hurt and do think he's a pretty well spoken guy. As an in game broadcaster though, he's got a long way to go.

TheOldRoman
08-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Yeah, if they don't get along, they're VERY good at hiding it.Well, they do sit about 15 feet away from each other in the booth.:lol:

Someone posted (I believe Lip) that ESPN interviewed them both for a story in Sept 2003 when it looked like both teams might make the playoffs. Hawk said he hoped the Cubs made the World Series too "so we could beat their butts." When Stone was told of it he said something along the lines of, "Hawk is a moron and he never misses an opportunity to stick his foot in his mouth."

Maybe they get along better now. Other than sitting so far away from each other and Stone refusing to do the homerun call, I don't notice animosity.

manders_01
08-22-2010, 12:09 PM
I enjoyed him. As several mentioned, he seems to be very calming and I to liked that he joined Hawk on the HR call. He certainly has learning to do but I enjoyed him.

That being said, I like the Hawk-Stoney duo and am not looking for them to be broken up anytime soon.

jdm2662
08-22-2010, 12:09 PM
That's what professionals do in any workplace. That being said, I have no idea if they do or don't get along well personally.

Lip had some rumblings back in 2007 that they didn't care for each other too much and Hawk doesn't feel confortable in the booth. Both men have big egos, so I can certainly understand why they would clash at times. My guess is why Hawk felt "unconfortable" with Stone is because, well, Hawk isn't able to control the whole show. He can't control Stone like say he did with Jackson. I'm no fan of Hawk, but Stone makes him somewhat tollerable at times. But, very good partners can make a crappy announcer tollerable (see Troy Aikman with Joe Buck).

fram40
08-22-2010, 01:53 PM
But, very good partners can make a crappy announcer tollerable (see Troy Aikman with Joe Buck).

which one's which? They both suck - epically - imo.

I like Frank in the booth. I like Stone in the booth. I also kind of like Hawk in the booth, altho at this point it seems I tolerate Hawk in the booth more than like Hawk.

jdm2662
08-22-2010, 02:00 PM
which one's which? They both suck - epically - imo.

I like Frank in the booth. I like Stone in the booth. I also kind of like Hawk in the booth, altho at this point it seems I tolerate Hawk in the booth more than like Hawk.

You are the first person I've ever heard to say Aikman sucks royally in the booth. but, to each of their own, I guess.

Personally, I don't think Frank adds much in the booth at this point. However, he's not an experienced/trained broadcaster, so I don't expect much. He certainly can get better, and is probably better for the studio for the time being.

I was a big Hawk fan in the early 90s, of course I was 13 in 1990. He still can be entertaining at times, but he insults my intelligence too much to my liking and among other things. and, I don't even pretend to be a baseball expert.

spongyfungy
08-22-2010, 02:26 PM
I'll preface this and say that Hawk is the least accommodating play by play announcer. He doesn't toss any softball questions to the color analyst or pick his brain but just states his opinions, spouts his hawkisms and what's Frank going to do? disagree with him? Nope. All he does is parrot his catchphrases. Even pulls out some of his old retired ones. It's a shame Hawk isn't picking his brain, relegating him to cheerleader role.

I just shook my head when Frank said "don't stop now boys" was one of his favorites.

Stoney probably wants to punch him in the face every time he says this.

MARTINMVP
08-22-2010, 03:05 PM
I take back yesterday's comment. No, I don't enjoy listening to him.

Steelrod
08-22-2010, 03:47 PM
He fits right in with the rest of them!

soxfanreggie
08-22-2010, 03:55 PM
They need to bring Robin Ventura back into the TV or radio booth.

I vote for the radio booth. I can't stand listening to Farmer.

guillensdisciple
08-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Frank has a very nice voice for it, but for now he agrees way too much with Hawk and does not offer his own opinion.

fisk4ever
08-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Frank is actually better than I expected. Hawk is on my last nerve today with his griping about the umpires during this series. Give it a rest!

TheCommander
08-22-2010, 09:57 PM
I just shook my head when Frank said "don't stop now boys" was one of his favorites.

Stoney probably wants to punch him in the face every time he says this.

I want to as well and I like Hawk.

soltrain21
08-22-2010, 10:11 PM
He is awful, but Hawk doesn't really ask him questions or bait him into talking.

Brian26
08-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Maybe they get along better now. Other than sitting so far away from each other and Stone refusing to do the homerun call, I don't notice animosity.

The seating situation is the same as it was for Hawk and DJ. I'm not sure how that would have anything to do with their personal relationship as broadcasters anyway since they're not dating. They're both wearing headphones and using microphones, so they don't need to sit close enough to each other so they don't have to shout.

As for the homerun call, Stone may not partake in that ritual out of respect for DJ.

Brian26
08-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Some general observations on the subject-

Stone seems more comfortable and at peace in the booth than any other time I've heard him (and I used to watch a fair share of Cubs games back in the day). I think he's enjoying the Sox job more than he ever thought he would. He seems to get into the act with Harrelson on the umpire whining, so something must be clicking.

Hawk sounds like an awe-struck 10-yr old kid when Frank is in the booth. It's too awkward to listen to as a permanent choice.

KingXerxes
08-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Frank Thomas is not ready for prime time............at all. He's a mumbler, and adds NOTHING to the broadcast.

That being said, I'd rather listen to Thomas saying, "We need a hit here." for a lifetime if it meant not having to listen to Harrelson whine like a little school girl over the umpires.

At least Bill Melton - in the post game - acted like a grown man and said that while there might have been a few blown calls in the game, the umpires have had nothing to do with this horrendous streak that the White Sox have been going through.

Harrelson sounds like a mom at a Little League game.

:hawk

"Mercy...........here we go agin'........first pitch of the game............looked to be outside, but it was called a strike........Big Frank, that changes the whole complexion of this game..........Dadgum it..........now I'm going to harp about this call for the next four hours."

DirtySox
08-22-2010, 11:47 PM
Frank is not good. He is also a Hawk parrot which is even more horrible. My ears, they hurt.

Bob Roarman
08-22-2010, 11:56 PM
At least Bill Melton - in the post game - acted like a grown man and said that while there might have been a few blown calls in the game, the umpires have had nothing to do with this horrendous streak that the White Sox have been going through.

Yeah it's also called acting like a professional. Something the Hawk cannot do. I said this in the game day thread, this isn't about him being "our homer" it's about doing his job professionally. He can't do it. I don't see how people can defend that. Make your point and then let it go. Don't be talking about the third pitch of the game for the entirety of the damn game.

jdm2662
08-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Frank Thomas is not ready for prime time............at all. He's a mumbler, and adds NOTHING to the broadcast.

That being said, I'd rather listen to Thomas saying, "We need a hit here." for a lifetime if it meant not having to listen to Harrelson whine like a little school girl over the umpires.

And there is the huge difference between the two as I saw the same thing. It's one thing to say Joe West sucks as an umpire. It's well known across the league he is disliked by many teams. However, even with his ****ty strike zone, the Sox still was in position many times to win yesterday. They didn't do it because they couldn't get that big hit or not execute ( ie AJ's bunt).

Sad
08-23-2010, 09:50 AM
not really

to me it seems like 3 hours of Hawk kissing Frank's ass & Frank kissing Hawk's ass...
looking forward to Steve being back in the booth this week hopefully...

Procol Harum
08-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Between Frank and Hawk's theater of the obvious and the painful display of anemic hitting in KC, I found yesterday a wonderful opportunity to get a little reading done by exercising the "Mute" button on my remote....

Frank does ok in his postgame shtick but he's in no way ready for prime-time work in either the radio or TV booth.

Chez
08-23-2010, 12:11 PM
As an analyst, Frank Thomas is the greatest hitter in White Sox history. :cool:

SoxandtheCityTee
08-23-2010, 12:39 PM
I think Frank could certainly improve. He swallows or cuts off a lot of his words, but I noticed that on that CSN Indside Story show where he was extensively interviewed by Garfein, Frank did that a lot less, maybe because he was more relaxed. But I think with some speech work he could be more listenable.

He's certainly knowledgable. I liked the feeling that I was getting the point of view of someone in the dugout, the way a player would comment. As a number of people here have pointed out, that's not enough to be a good color commentator. But I'm not ready to write Frank off.

ghostface36
08-23-2010, 01:09 PM
i think frank and stone would be interesting
stone is my favorite sports announcer besides jeff joniack

chisoxfanatic
08-23-2010, 02:16 PM
I'd love for Robin and Frank to be together full-time once Hawk is done...Two of my three favorite baseball players ever, and both are interesting to listen to.

I enjoyed listening to Frank.

soltrain21
08-23-2010, 02:21 PM
I'd love for Robin and Frank to be together full-time once Hawk is done...Two of my three favorite baseball players ever, and both are interesting to listen to.

I enjoyed listening to Frank.

That'd be awful. Frank is bad and you have no pbp guy.

Bob Roarman
08-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Just because a guy was a good player and full of baseball knowledge doesn't mean he would make a good play by play or color guy.

Chez
08-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Just because a guy was a good player and full of baseball knowledge doesn't mean he would make a good play by play or color guy.

True. See Brock, Lou.

SoxandtheCityTee
08-23-2010, 02:48 PM

Agreed. Ideally you get someone with the knowledge AND the communications skills, because without the latter it's harder to be effective getting the former across. Stone is a person who I'd say has both.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-23-2010, 03:55 PM
I'd like him, but I would like him a lot more if they raised his mic volume about double.