PDA

View Full Version : 8-20 Rain wins this one

SoxSpeed22
08-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Doubleheader tomorrow, not much else to say.

soltrain21
08-20-2010, 09:56 PM
Doubleheader STARTS at 6:10. Seems it'll be a late night, yes?

hi im skot
08-20-2010, 09:59 PM
6:10? That makes zero sense...but then again, neither did starting this game at all.

JB98
08-20-2010, 10:01 PM
That is a late start.

It's good the Sox have a day off on Monday. This shouldn't screw up the pitching too much. I assume Jackson comes back and pitches tomorrow?

Soxman219
08-20-2010, 10:03 PM
Baseball til possibly 2AM? Damn!

jdm2662
08-20-2010, 10:06 PM
Why did they bother even starting the game?

GoGoCrede
08-20-2010, 10:07 PM
I'm happy about that...I'll be working late, so this gives me a chance to be home in time to watch it.

Gonna be a late, late night.

Lyle Mouton
08-20-2010, 10:08 PM
That is a late start.

It's good the Sox have a day off on Monday. This shouldn't screw up the pitching too much. I assume Jackson comes back and pitches tomorrow?
That would be a horrible, horrible idea.

Cowley tweet says no Jackson tomorrow.

GoGoCrede
08-20-2010, 10:09 PM

Damn, I really wanted to see him.

chisoxfan83
08-20-2010, 10:09 PM
i cant remember a DH starting so late...sure fox's blackout restrictions have something to do with it. At least its not a split DH where the players have to sit around for hours after the first game.

JB98
08-20-2010, 10:10 PM

He only threw eight pitches. :shrug:

TDog
08-20-2010, 10:12 PM
6:10? That makes zero sense...but then again, neither did starting this game at all.

When the White Sox built twi-night doubleheaders into their regular schedule, they used to start them at 6 p.m.

LoveYourSuit
08-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Everyhing that can go wrong lately just continues to pile on.

We lose Jackson's start, now who is going on short rest?

If we have Freddy plus a call-up go for the DH, what a disaster.

Only positive is that the bullpen gets to rest one more day by not going tonight.

That offense better be ready to mash for 7 hours on Saturday. Sucks also is that knowing Ozzie, the entire bench will play for game two.

GoGoCrede
08-20-2010, 10:14 PM
When the White Sox built twi-night doubleheaders into their regular schedule, they used to start them at 6 p.m.

I wish this doubleheader was being held at the Cell. I'd love to go, though I know it's tough on the players and workers at the Cell.

soltrain21
08-20-2010, 10:16 PM
I'll just assume this is Joe West's fault.

LoveYourSuit
08-20-2010, 10:17 PM
I wish this doubleheader was being held at the Cell. I'd love to go, though I know it's tough on the players and workers at the Cell.

Only reason this is DH with one gate is because more than likely the Royals did not have a good pre-sale on either of these two games.

Sox weekend games draw pretty well. I don't think we will ever see a DH on a weekend at the Cell, unles it's April or September if we are out of it.

GoGoCrede
08-20-2010, 10:18 PM
That offense better be ready to mash for 7 hours on Saturday. Sucks also is that knowing Ozzie, the entire bench will play for game two.

Imagine if one of the games goes into extras.

Nelfox02
08-20-2010, 10:19 PM
Everyhing that can go wrong lately just continues to pile on.

We lose Jackson's start, now who is going on short rest?

If we have Freddy plus a call-up go for the DH, what a disaster.

Only positive is that the bullpen gets to rest one more day by not going tonight.

yep, sucks, and the pitching match up really favored us tonight. I shudder at the thought of having a Garcia/awful AAA call up twin bill tomorrow..............jeez

LoveYourSuit

I think the Home Team makes the call to start the game.

The umpires take over once it starts.

KC management can **** up a one car parade. Whata a joke.

KenBerryGrab

Yes. Joe West. God of Lightning. http://www.nuuanu.k12.hi.us/G-1/public_html/websites/chelsea/images/zeus.gif

fram40
08-20-2010, 10:20 PM

and the average game time was about two hours, not the three hours they are now.

LoveYourSuit
08-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Imagine if one of the games goes into extras.

Too bad it's not September we can expand that roster and have extra arms.

JDub35
08-20-2010, 10:21 PM
I have tickets for the 6:05 game. Will we need to exit and purchase tickets for game 2?

LoveYourSuit
08-20-2010, 10:21 PM
yep, sucks, and the pitching match up really favored us tonight. I shudder at the thought of having a Garcia/awful AAA call up twin bill tomorrow..............jeez

Just have to come out swinging. Have to play softball tomorrow.

jdm2662
08-20-2010, 10:22 PM
I think the Home Team makes the call to start the game.

The umpires take over once it starts.

KC management can **** up a one car parade. Whata a joke.

This was a big discussion, but I remember this well during the infamous 2008 late series against DET.

If the teams are playing their last series at their respective ballpark, it's the umpire's call. Umpires are also under a lot of pressure to get the games in, especially if the teams are fighting for first place. Fenway has stated this in the past that MLB is admant about this. I also remember a Red Sox Tigers game starting at 11:05 EDT. The fans weren't happy they canceled the fireworks show...

LoveYourSuit
08-20-2010, 10:22 PM
I have tickets for the 6:05 game. Will we need to exit and purchase tickets for game 2?

Nope, lucky you!

fram40
08-20-2010, 10:24 PM

I wonder what kind of stretching and throwing they do before the game if an 8 (eight) pitch start means you can't come back the next day. I realize they have a lot of money invested in pitchers these days, but man.

JDub35
08-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Nope, lucky you!

Wow, now I just have to convince the girlfriend to watch roughly 6 hours of baseball with me! :D:

JB98
08-20-2010, 10:26 PM
I wonder what kind of stretching and throwing they do before the game if an 8 (eight) pitch start means you can't come back the next day. I realize they have a lot of money invested in pitchers these days, but man.

Actually, on second check, he only threw 7 pitches.

JB98
08-20-2010, 10:31 PM
This was a big discussion, but I remember this well during the infamous 2008 late series against DET.

If the teams are playing their last series at their respective ballpark, it's the umpire's call. Umpires are also under a lot of pressure to get the games in, especially if the teams are fighting for first place. Fenway has stated this in the past that MLB is admant about this. I also remember a Red Sox Tigers game starting at 11:05 EDT. The fans weren't happy they canceled the fireworks show...

100 percent correct. The decision to start this game was made by none other than the worst umpire in baseball, Joe West.

DannyCaterFan
08-20-2010, 10:34 PM
and the average game time was about two hours, not the three hours they are now.

Not Really, I went to many of those twi-nighters in the 60's that started at 6:00. Many lasted til midnight or later.

fram40
08-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Actually, on second check, he only threw 7 pitches.

so if he threw only 7 pitches rather than 8, can he pitch one of the games tomorrow?

fram40
08-20-2010, 10:38 PM
100 percent correct. The decision to start this game was made by none other than the worst umpire in baseball, Joe West.

Joe West and the other umpires continue to conspire to **** the Sox.

JB98
08-20-2010, 10:39 PM
so if he threw only 7 pitches rather than 8, can he pitch one of the games tomorrow?

According to Cowley's Twitter feed, Jackson said he could pitch. He was told that wasn't happening.

I agree with Jackson. I think he should be allowed to pitch tomorrow. The Sox need to win both games. This isn't the time to be fumbling around with AAA callups.

The Sox bullpen better be ready tomorrow with Garcia and some bum from Charlotte scheduled to pitch.

JB98
08-20-2010, 10:40 PM
Joe West and the other umpires continue to conspire to **** the Sox.

The decision ****s the Royals over, too.

LoveYourSuit
08-20-2010, 10:42 PM
According to Cowley's Twitter feed, Jackson said he could pitch. He was told that wasn't happening.

I agree with Jackson. I think he should be allowed to pitch tomorrow. The Sox need to win both games. This isn't the time to be fumbling around with AAA callups.

The Sox bullpen better be ready tomorrow with Garcia and some bum from Charlotte scheduled to pitch.

If Jackson says he's ready, he should get the ball. News Flash to Ozzie and Coop: "It's getting Late" :rolleyes:

Rohan
08-20-2010, 10:42 PM
So what's the deal with the broadcasts on tomorrows games? What networks will they be on?

SOXSINCE'70
08-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Great. I have to work early Sunday morning.
Hope I can see game 1,at least.:(:

JB98
08-20-2010, 10:45 PM
If Jackson says he's ready, he should get the ball. News Flash to Ozzie and Coop: "It's getting Late" :rolleyes:

No question about it. Also, Harrell pitched tonight. Torres pitched Wednesday. Of the top two candidates for callup, neither is available.

SOXSINCE'70
08-20-2010, 10:47 PM

As Yogi Berra used to say, "It's getting late early this year."

SOXSINCE'70
08-20-2010, 10:48 PM
Not Really, I went to many of those twi-nighters in the 60's that started at 6:00. Many lasted til midnight or later.

That's great...if you're a kid who has no school or work the next day.:D:

soltrain21
08-20-2010, 10:48 PM
If Jackson says he can go you give him the ball.

bunty_doghunter
08-20-2010, 10:49 PM
yes. Joe west. God of lightning. http://www.nuuanu.k12.hi.us/g-1/public_html/websites/chelsea/images/zeus.gif
Release the kraken!

UofCSoxFan
08-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Doubleheader STARTS at 6:10. Seems it'll be a late night, yes?

It's awful but because of the MLB blackout rules I'm guessing KC wanted show both games so they have to start that late. Still if you're looking at 2 3 hour games plus 30 min inbetween you're getting done after 12:30 with a day game Sunday against Grienke. Sweet.

GoGoCrede
08-20-2010, 10:55 PM
It's awful but because of the MLB blackout rules I'm guessing KC wanted show both games so they have to start that late. Still if you're looking at 2 3 hour games plus 30 min inbetween you're getting done after 12:30 with a day game Sunday against Grienke. Sweet.

Gonna be a huge test for our guys.

OmahaSoxFan
08-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Wow, now I just have to convince the girlfriend to watch roughly 6 hours of baseball with me! :D:

My wife and I have tickets for the 6:10 game tomorrow night as well, but with her being 6 months pregnant, I don't know if I have much of a chance of getting her to stay for game two. I am happy that we won't have to wait until 10pm to see the game tomorrow night, that really would have made her unhappy. What a mess this rain-out tonight creates for the Sox staff... I hope we don't have to burn another arm for a call-up.

Either way I am stoked that I will get to see at least one, if not two games tomorrow night in KC. And doubly happy that we decided to go down there tomorrow night, instead of tonight... that would have really sucked!

JB98
08-20-2010, 11:01 PM
Per Cowley, Pena is our likely Game 2 starter.

Lip Man 1
08-20-2010, 11:04 PM
Insane scheduling...what else do you expect from an organization like the Royals.

They'll be up till one in the morning K.C. time THEN they have to play a Sunday afternoon game?

:rolleyes:

Lip

soltrain21
08-20-2010, 11:05 PM

Awful.

GoGoCrede
08-20-2010, 11:07 PM

Ughhhhh.

JB98
08-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Awful.

Not cast in stone, but not good if true.

GoGoCrede
08-20-2010, 11:11 PM

Is this Cowley's guess, or did he hear it from Ozzie or someone?

Rocky Soprano
08-20-2010, 11:12 PM
My wife and I have tickets for the 6:10 game tomorrow night as well, but with her being 6 months pregnant, I don't know if I have much of a chance of getting her to stay for game two. I am happy that we won't have to wait until 10pm to see the game tomorrow night, that really would have made her unhappy. What a mess this rain-out tonight creates for the Sox staff... I hope we don't have to burn another arm for a call-up.

Either way I am stoked that I will get to see at least one, if not two games tomorrow night in KC. And doubly happy that we decided to go down there tomorrow night, instead of tonight... that would have really sucked!

My brother is in Omaha visiting our family and they have tickets for tomorrow as well. Lucky dogs!

Next time I'm in Omaha, we should get together for a beer. It would be cool to meet a Sox fan in town.

Nelfox02
08-20-2010, 11:12 PM
so what the hell happens if Garcia starts to pull his "getting rocked into the 4th act" if Pena is the starter in game 2?

JB98
08-20-2010, 11:14 PM
Is this Cowley's guess, or did he hear it from Ozzie or someone?

Just looked at his story again. Says the Sox are scrambling to figure out what to do.

"It will either be a roster move or a bullpen game, with Tony Pena the likely candidate to start."

TDog
08-20-2010, 11:16 PM

I went to a few twi-nite doubleheaders when I was a kid, including one at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh. I went to a twi-niter in Milwaukee in the last year of County Stadium a decade ago, but it wasn't on the original schedule. I thought they were a blast. But, loving baseball, I seem to be in the minority.

When doubleheaders were scheduled, there were more off days. A lot of players had the second games of doubleheaders off, especially catchers. Dick Allen never started both ends of a doubleheader when he played for the Sox.

I had a couple of friends who were vendors at Old Comiskey, and they loved doubleheaders. They weren't old enough to sell beer, but I don't imagine they would cut off beer sales in the seventh inning in the first game of a doubleheader.

GoGoCrede
08-20-2010, 11:17 PM
Just looked at his story again. Says the Sox are scrambling to figure out what to do.

"It will either be a roster move or a bullpen game, with Tony Pena the likely candidate to start."

I just don't understand why Jackson won't be used, even if he says he's ready. Are they trying to protect his arm?

Rdy2PlayBall
08-20-2010, 11:20 PM
Can someone give me a good reason why Ozzie wouldn't start Jackson? With Pena and Garcia both going in one day, we could be out of the playoff chase in a blink of an eyes.

JB98
I just don't understand why Jackson won't be used, even if he says he's ready. Are they trying to protect his arm?

Yes. In their minds, it's too big of a risk, I guess.

Lip Man 1
I'm wondering who authorized the game to "start" tonight in the first place, was it that idiot Joe West?

The folks are right... Garcia and Pena (according to Gonzales) could destroy the bullpen tomorrow. Pena at best could maybe give them five innings but he's not stretched out to handle that really.

Lip

JB98
08-20-2010, 11:21 PM
I'm wondering who authorized the game to "start" tonight in the first place, was it that idiot Joe West?

The folks are right... Garcia and Pena (according to Gonzales) could destroy the bullpen tomorrow. Pena at best could maybe give them five innings but he's not stretched out to handle that really.

Lip

Plus, Putz is unavailable with that knee strain.

They are really short for tomorrow.

GoGoCrede
08-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Yes. In their minds, it's too big of a risk, I guess.

That makes sense. Well, better safe than sorry, I suppose. Pena might surprise us all. I think he started a game a few months back.

ChiSoxGirl

Awful.

Ughhhhh.

Not cast in stone, but not good if true.

I'm so glad they'll be giving the ball to a guy who's already pitched more innings this year than in recent memory. No, he's not tired. Bloody hell. Seems like we're getting screwed over any way possible. Damn Joe West.

Brian26
The worrisome part is that I'm actually more confident in Pena going five innings right now against KC than Freddy.

OmahaSoxFan
08-20-2010, 11:23 PM
My brother is in Omaha visiting our family and they have tickets for tomorrow as well. Lucky dogs!

Next time I'm in Omaha, we should get together for a beer. It would be cool to meet a Sox fan in town.

Yeah, the possibility of getting two Sox games for one ticket worked out to be a good deal... now my wife feeling up to seeing two games - well we'll see about that... but either way it should be interesting!

Next time you are headed out this way, let me know, there's a new "Chicago-style" pizza joint that just opened up in West O, the owner just moved out here from Chicago. The bonus - the owner is a huge White Sox fan! I think I found my favorite place in Omaha to have a slice and a beer!

ChiSoxGirl
08-20-2010, 11:23 PM

According to Cowley, who was on Rain Delay Theater with Rongey tonight, Putz threw a side session today and will be available tomorrow. :shrug:

GoGoCrede
08-20-2010, 11:25 PM
According to Cowley, who was on Rain Delay Theater with Rongey tonight, Putz threw a side session today and will be available tomorrow. :shrug:

Do we really want to bring him in, though? Lol

OmahaSoxFan
08-20-2010, 11:25 PM

Of all the things the Sox' bullpen did not need is what is slated for tomorrow night... With Freddy going tomorrow night and then possibly Pena for the nightcap, this could spell chaos for our bullpen. Maybe Edwin could come out of the pen in the nightcap to split the game up or something like that. Otherwise with Putz' knee acting up, and Bobby not 100%, this could get ugly quickly for our bullpen.

JB98
08-20-2010, 11:27 PM
Of all the things the Sox' bullpen did not need is what is slated for tomorrow night... With Freddy going tomorrow night and then possibly Pena for the nightcap, this could spell chaos for our bullpen. Maybe Edwin could come out of the pen in the nightcap to split the game up or something like that. Otherwise with Putz' knee acting up, and Bobby not 100%, this could get ugly quickly for our bullpen.

If they aren't willing to start Edwin, I can't imagine they'll use him out of the pen.

ChiSoxGirl
08-20-2010, 11:27 PM
Do we really want to bring him in, though? Lol

Touché.

OmahaSoxFan
08-20-2010, 11:29 PM
If they aren't willing to start Edwin, I can't imagine they'll use him out of the pen.

Yeah just trying to come up with some kind of way that this won't eat our bullpen alive tomorrow night. I know its a sucky situation for the Royals as well, but the way our pen has been lately - it did not need this and may actually play out as a slight edge to KC.

Rocky Soprano
08-20-2010, 11:31 PM
Yeah, the possibility of getting two Sox games for one ticket worked out to be a good deal... now my wife feeling up to seeing two games - well we'll see about that... but either way it should be interesting!

Next time you are headed out this way, let me know, there's a new "Chicago-style" pizza joint that just opened up in West O, the owner just moved out here from Chicago. The bonus - the owner is a huge White Sox fan! I think I found my favorite place in Omaha to have a slice and a beer!

Hope she is up for it. My wife is 4 months pregnant so I totally understand.

That sounds like a plan, whats the name of the pizza spot?
My favorite place to eat in Omaha is Dixie Quicks.

LoveYourSuit
08-20-2010, 11:32 PM
Tony Pena?

Lord have mercy.

This could be the series that puts the nail in.

How about Sale on a limited pitch count?

GoGoCrede
08-20-2010, 11:33 PM

I remember your thread about this a few weeks back! Congrats again. Do you know the sex of the baby yet?

GoGoCrede
08-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Tony Pena?

Lord have mercy.

This could be the series that puts the nail in.

How about Sale on a limited pitch count?

Yeah, I'm hoping Sale can give us a few innings. I think they're being careful with him, though, too.

Nelfox02
08-20-2010, 11:34 PM
bats really need to show up tomorrow in both games.......

JB98

Putz says he's ready to go, but I haven't seen any comments from Ozzie on that. Ozzie likes to give guys an extra day even after the player pronounces himself ready.

LoveYourSuit
There has to be another guy down on the farm, no?

Kenny must have traded them all.

guillensdisciple
08-20-2010, 11:35 PM
This sounds like the typical whining pre game thread before we win both games.

I won't say anything until both games are done and we have either made up half a game or lost 1.5 games or .5 games. Of gained 1.5 games.

OmahaSoxFan

Pudgy's Pizzeria - its out in SW Omaha around 156th and Harrison... it's a new place, opened up earlier this year. Major ups to Dixie Quicks too, great place for breakfast (and was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives too)...

And trust me, I am going to do all the sucking up I can to my wife to get her to at least stay a couple innings for game two, I don't think I have much of a chance to be there for all of both games... unless Mark Buerhle was pitching both games... but like I said, I am stoked to be able to see the Sox for the first time this year tomorrow night (had a trip to Chicago in May cancelled, so I'm really feigning for some live and in-person Sox baseball).

JB98
There has to be another guy down on the farm, no?

Kenny must have traded them all.

Freddy Dolsi is the scheduled starter for Charlotte tomorrow.

GoGoCrede
08-20-2010, 11:36 PM

I won't say anything until both games are done and we have either made up half a game or lost 1.5 games or .5 games. Of gained 1.5 games.

I'm not writing these games off as automatic losses, by any means. But this puts our pen in a tough spot, and it's going to tire our guys out. It's not a good way to begin.

OmahaSoxFan
08-20-2010, 11:38 PM
I'm not writing these games off as automatic losses, by any means. But this puts our pen in a tough spot, and it's going to tire our guys out. It's not a good way to begin.

This... This is exactly what the already "stressed" bullpen does not need. The bats will need to come in force tomorrow night to make sure that the bullpen does not take on any unneeded stress - but that's why you play the games.

SoxSpeed22
08-20-2010, 11:40 PM
I have no idea who came up with this, I'm just not expecting much.

LoveYourSuit
08-20-2010, 11:41 PM
Freddy Dolsi is the scheduled starter for Charlotte tomorrow.

I would take it. He's that hard throwing guy from the pen, was with the Tigers right?

But with the bullpen being thing, who do you send down? Or do you send down a position player (Brent)?

LoveYourSuit
08-20-2010, 11:43 PM

OK Ms Cleo, did not realize we are all of a sudden the Yankees where we can pitch the bat boy and still win. :rolleyes:

JB98
08-20-2010, 11:49 PM
I would take it. He's that hard throwing guy from the pen, was with the Tigers right?

But with the bullpen being thing, who do you send down? Or do you send down a position player (Brent)?

Yes. On second look, it appears Dolsi has started only four games in Charlotte all season. He did throw five innings on Aug. 16, and would be on regular rest tomorrow:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=t494&t=p_pbp&pid=451767

According to this scoreboard, tomorrow's Charlotte starter is TBD:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/scoreboard/league.jsp?sid=t494&lid=117&ymd=20100821

DirtySox
08-20-2010, 11:49 PM
Tomorrow is my first trip to KC. Seems I got to see 2 ball games instead of one.

ChiSoxGirl
08-20-2010, 11:51 PM
Putz says he's ready to go, but I haven't seen any comments from Ozzie on that. Ozzie likes to give guys an extra day even after the player pronounces himself ready.

Hmmm... then maybe he won't be available tomorrow. :dunno:

OmahaSoxFan
08-20-2010, 11:53 PM
Tomorrow is my first trip to KC. Seems I got to see 2 ball games instead of one.

Kaufmann is one of the better parks in MLB, so you are in for a treat for sure. The stadium has a very intimate feel, yet the renovations that were completed last year added a whole new element to the park. It is also a very accessible park also, so you can walk around and check out the game from the different sections, including the seats out by the waterfalls in the outfield and stop by the Rivals bar in right field. Hope to see you and plenty of other Sox fans there tomorrow night!!! :D:

guillensdisciple
08-20-2010, 11:56 PM
Our bullpen has had good rest from top to bottom since Tuesday.

No Thornton, barely Bobby, barely Putz, barely Santos- some Sale but he has had two days off.

Off day Monday too- I think they'll be fine.

whitesox4eva
08-20-2010, 11:58 PM
OK Ms Cleo, did not realize we are all of a sudden the Yankees where we can pitch the bat boy and still win. :rolleyes:

Our batboy apparently worked well enough against the Angels this year. Yeah they are having a down year but they're offense isn't exactly AAAA. :tongue:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=300706104

shingo10
08-21-2010, 12:01 AM
Has anyone heard if/where game 2 will be broadcast tomorrow?

I'm really looking forward to 6 hours of Hawk and the Big Hurt. No doubt about it.

Lip Man 1
08-21-2010, 12:03 AM
BIG SURPRISE! It WAS Joe West!

Ozzie was so pissed off he wouldn't speak with the media afterwards. Now THAT's news.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/08/west-is-not-best-for-white-sox.html

Lip

GoGoCrede
08-21-2010, 12:04 AM

Ozzie was so pissed off he wouldn't speak with the media afterwards. Now THAT's news.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/08/west-is-not-best-for-white-sox.html

Lip

Thought so. God, I hate Joe West. Ozzie must be steamed if he won't even talk to the press.

OmahaSoxFan
08-21-2010, 12:05 AM
Has anyone heard if/where game 2 will be broadcast tomorrow?

I'm really looking forward to 6 hours of Hawk and the Big Hurt. No doubt about it.

The only thing I've seen so far is that FSN Kansas City WILL be televising Game 2, so if CSN or WCIU don't pick it up, you can always catch the KC feed on mlb.tv (which doesn't help very many I'm sure if that's the only means to watch the game).

shingo10
08-21-2010, 12:08 AM
The only thing I've seen so far is that FSN Kansas City WILL be televising Game 2, so if CSN or WCIU don't pick it up, you can always catch the KC feed on mlb.tv (which doesn't help very many I'm sure if that's the only means to watch the game).

Thanks for the Info. There's always radio. Well I assume it will be broadcast on radio.

whitesox4eva
08-21-2010, 12:09 AM

Lip

Also from the article it seems like Jackson still might pitch tomorrow according to Oney Guillen.

http://twitter.com/OneyRoberto/status/21716080191

sox1970
08-21-2010, 12:10 AM
Game 2 will be on CSN.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0821-white-sox-royals-chicago-20100820,0,802156.story

sox1970
08-21-2010, 12:10 AM
Also from the article it seems like Jackson still might pitch tomorrow according to Oney Guillen.

http://twitter.com/OneyRoberto/status/21716080191

I'm going to have to hear that from somebody else.

shingo10
08-21-2010, 12:12 AM
Game 2 will be on CSN.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0821-white-sox-royals-chicago-20100820,0,802156.story

Wonderful. Thanks for the info.

Can't wait to hear Hawk go off on the Cowboy again. He really is a joke.

Fenway
08-21-2010, 12:12 AM

Joe West is getting unfairly blamed - the call was made by KC management trying to save a Friday night gate that is now lost

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2010/08/thank_you_joe_west.html

Blame FOX for the late start - otherwise Game 1 would have been radio only

shingo10
08-21-2010, 12:14 AM
Joe West is getting unfairly blamed - the call was made by KC management trying to save a Friday night gate that is now lost

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2010/08/thank_you_joe_west.html

Blame FOX for the late start - otherwise Game 1 would have been radio only

Fair or not, Joe West brought this upon himself by acting like a clown these past couple of years. As far as I'm concerned he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

GoGoCrede
08-21-2010, 12:19 AM
Fair or not, Joe West brought this upon himself by acting like a clown these past couple of years. As far as I'm concerned he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Then you probably won't want to visit his personal website, then. Lol

johnnyg83
08-21-2010, 12:19 AM
Are you ****ing kidding me? A double header that starts at 6:10?

This is one of the most asinine things I've ever heard. Then a day game on Sunday?

This is legendary ineptitude. The only people staying for the end of that late game (which could legitimately be 1:00 am) will be some VERY VERY drunk people. Incident drunk.

Play one at noon and the other at 6:10. or play two sunday.

Lyle Mouton
08-21-2010, 12:22 AM
Ozzie has no right to be pissed off. Anyone with half a skull would have looked at the radar and said, "Gee, they're starting this game for the sake of half an inning. I'm going to pitch Linebrink or Pena, because I don't want to waste a start by Jackson."

GoGoCrede
08-21-2010, 12:24 AM
Ozzie has no right to be pissed off. Anyone with half a skull would have looked at the radar and said, "Gee, they're starting this game for the sake of half an inning. I'm going to pitch Linebrink or Pena, because I don't want to waste a start by Jackson."

Or maybe he thought the umpires/KC management were doing their jobs first.

manders_01
08-21-2010, 12:26 AM
Insane scheduling...what else do you expect from an organization like the Royals.

They'll be up till one in the morning K.C. time THEN they have to play a Sunday afternoon game?

:rolleyes:

Lip

That's where I have a bit of concern.

Lyle Mouton
08-21-2010, 12:26 AM
Or maybe he thought the umpires/KC management were doing their jobs first.
I'd like to think he or someone in the organization would have consulted radar. It's not like Joe West's crew and the Kansas City Royals are infallible.

If you know it's going to rain, and you think it's ****ing stupid to start the game, knowing full well it'll be halted in ten minutes, you don't put Jackson on the bump. It's really that simple.

Rocky Soprano
08-21-2010, 12:33 AM
I remember your thread about this a few weeks back! Congrats again. Do you know the sex of the baby yet?

Thanks. Not yet, we have an appointment this Monday and we believe they will be scheduling the next ultrasound soon after. If all goes well, we should know in a couple of weeks. :bandance:

LoveYourSuit
08-21-2010, 12:34 AM
I'd like to think he or someone in the organization would have consulted radar. It's not like Joe West's crew and the Kansas City Royals are infallible.

If you know it's going to rain, and you think it's ****ing stupid to start the game, knowing full well it'll be halted in ten minutes, you don't put Jackson on the bump. It's really that simple.

There is not a single manager in MLB baseball that would make that decision. If they start the game, you have to pitch your guy. There have been times where storms have missed the park. It has happened plenty of times at the Cell.

Lyle Mouton
08-21-2010, 12:35 AM
There is not a single manager in MLB baseball that would make that decision. If they start the game, you have to pitch your guy. There have been times where storms have missed the park. It has happened plenty of times at the Cell.
Agree to disagree.

GoGoCrede
08-21-2010, 12:35 AM
Thanks. Not yet, we have an appointment this Monday and we believe they will be scheduling the next ultrasound soon after. If all goes well, we should know in a couple of weeks. :bandance:

:bandance: Now that's a White Sox winner. What an exciting time it must be for you two.

LoveYourSuit
08-21-2010, 12:37 AM
That's where I have a bit of concern.

And Greinke pitching.

They should have gone with the day night for Sunday. KC did not want to lose a gate, this was the only way possible.

manders_01
08-21-2010, 12:37 AM

That is certainly an option but what if, the weather being the weather, there is a 30 minute break? A 60 minute break? An even longer break? You've now saved your SP but you've got a guy from the pen pitching for potentially much more than they're used to and with a mindset that they were only supposed to pitch for a short amount of time. I just don't think the answer is as easy as start someone else.

LoveYourSuit
08-21-2010, 12:39 AM
Agree to disagree.

It would have been a genius move by Ozzie, but I don't recall Ozzie ever doing anything outside the book since becoming manager. Other than his crazy DH proposition.

Lip Man 1
08-21-2010, 12:40 AM
Fenway:

Guess what. It's the Royals... who gives a damn if the game is on TV or not. They especially don't care in Kansas City.

A split double header would have worked fine, if there was no TV in game one big deal. Heaven forbid a game not be televised...OH MY!

Sox fans would rather have a rested team at this crucial stage of the season than watch Freddy Garcia possibly implode again anyway. You're talking about having to play three games in less than 24 hours time. The Sox are an older club remember.

Regarding Joe West, I just heard from one of the beat writers who flat out called him a "disgrace." That about sums it up nicely.

----------------------------

On another note I'm trying to find out but I thought that both sides have to agree to a change like this.

IF that's true (and I don't know for sure if it is) then what could possible possess Ozzie to agree to this stupidity.

He should have said (if he had a say in this at all) look we'll play a double header on Sunday. Period.

It's not a long flight from K.C. to Chicago so the Sox still get in at a reasonable time and are off Monday. If the Royals have a game Monday, I can guarantee you it's a night game anyway. It's win/win.

So again why would Ozzie agree to this in the first place assuming he had a say in the matter.

Lip

LoveYourSuit
08-21-2010, 12:44 AM
Fenway:

Guess what. It's the Royals... who gives a damn if the game is on TV or not. They especially don't care in Kansas City.

A split double header would have worked fine, if there was no TV in game one big deal.

Sox fans would rather have a rested team at this crucial stage of the season than watch Freddy Garcia possibly implode again anyway. You're talking about having to play three games in less than 24 hours time. The Sox are an older club remember.

Regarding Joe West, I just heard from one of the beat writers who flat out called him a "disgrace." That about sums it up nicely.

----------------------------

On another note I'm trying to find out but I thought that both sides have to agree to a change like this.

IF that's true (and I don't know for sure if it is) then what could possible possess Ozzie to agree to this stupidity.

He should have said (if he had a say in this at all) look we'll play a double header on Sunday. Period.

It's not a long flight from K.C. to Chicago so the Sox still get in at a reasonable time and are off Monday. If the Royals have a game Monday, I can guarantee you it's a night game anyway. It's win/win.

So again why would Ozzie agree to this in the first place?

Lip

Lip,

And MLB needs to knock off this nonesense with FOX and their exclusive rights. There should be a clause in there that come August and September this is out the door to allow teams to not lose critical dates late in the season rather than forcing the season to extend past the scheduled end of the season with make up games.

It's the ****ing Sox vs Royals, how much ratings will FOX lose, honestly:rolleyes:

Foulke You
08-21-2010, 12:54 AM
I wonder if this was Joe West's way of giving the middle finger to Ozzie over the whole Buehrle incident earlier this year. It wouldn't surprise me if he did this on purpose. I shudder to think what Zack Greinke's strike zone is going to be like on Sunday with Joe West behind the plate. I think our hitters better bring their boat oars.

GoGoCrede
08-21-2010, 12:55 AM
I wonder if this was Joe West's way of giving the middle finger to Ozzie over the whole Buehrle incident earlier this year. It wouldn't surprise me if he did this on purpose. I shudder to think what Zack Greinke's strike zone is going to be like on Sunday with Joe West behind the plate. I think our hitters better bring their boat oars.

I really don't think he'd be that unprofessional....I hope.

Lip Man 1
08-21-2010, 01:01 AM
Mark Gonzales says West will not be working the plate Sunday for what that's worth.

And yes I absolutely think this is West way of saying **** you, Ozzie...he's that unprofessional.

Lip

SaltyPretzel
08-21-2010, 01:02 AM
Kaufmann is one of the better parks in MLB, so you are in for a treat for sure. The stadium has a very intimate feel, yet the renovations that were completed last year added a whole new element to the park. It is also a very accessible park also, so you can walk around and check out the game from the different sections, including the seats out by the waterfalls in the outfield and stop by the Rivals bar in right field. Hope to see you and plenty of other Sox fans there tomorrow night!!! :D:

Is there any transportation to the park? I'm going tomorrow and won't have a car.

soxlady8
08-21-2010, 01:09 AM
I bought some GREAT tickets to Wednesday's game against the Orioles .
Jackson was scheduled to pitch. I so wanted to see Jackson pitch!
Me a bit mad now if I get Garcia instead! I am not too confident w him!

Should be very interesting tomorrow.
All the guys are going to get used up in some way now.

Nellie_Fox
08-21-2010, 01:20 AM
I went to a few twi-nite doubleheaders when I was a kid, including one at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh. I went to a twi-niter in Milwaukee in the last year of County Stadium a decade ago, but it wasn't on the original schedule. I thought they were a blast. But, loving baseball, I seem to be in the minority.I loved twi-nighters. I went whenever I could. Two games for one ticket, and you didn't spend the whole day in the hot sun.

I had a couple of friends who were vendors at Old Comiskey, and they loved doubleheaders. They weren't old enough to sell beer, but I don't imagine they would cut off beer sales in the seventh inning in the first game of a doubleheader.I could be wrong, but I think the practice of cutting off beer sales AT ALL is a fairly recent development. I seem to remember that the only thing that would cut off sales is when a vendor decided it wasn't worth it to go get another case because the game would end before he could sell it.

hawkjt
08-21-2010, 01:21 AM
The only way this day goes worse for the Sox is if they lose a game.
Joe West screws the Sox again.
Sox lose their hottest starter.
Sox have to play a true doubleheader,which rarely means a sweep.
Sox are pitching short.
Sox face the Cy Young winner in a third game in 19 hours.
Have I missed anything?...oh yea, Twins win.

Sometimes it just seems like it aint meant to happen this year.
Now, go out and sweep the series ,Sox!

When I first saw the radar tonite about 6 oclock, it looked like it was leaving KC,and Chicago was going to get slammed.
So, it backs up into KC and it splits apart right at Chicago.
St Louis had no weather.
Go figure.

guillensdisciple
08-21-2010, 01:41 AM
Damn, this is the first time I have ever missed a double header in my life. WEll both games, I usually sneak in at least one. Work and then gym will probably cut that out tomorrow.

Actually, does anyone know how it's working? Will the starting time be at 10 or so? Or if the first game ends a 945 will there be space for a break or just rush to the next game?

chisoxfanatic
08-21-2010, 01:49 AM
I went to a straight doubleheader last season vs. Seattle, and it was quite fun to be able to get 2 games for the price of one! I was also at the 19-inning marathon vs. Boston a few years ago...Both games had me at the ballpark for 7-8 hours straight...And I certainly didn't mind it! It was fun! So, for those of you going, have a bunch of fun!

When was the last time two teams played each other three times in a span of less than 24-hours?

Nellie_Fox
08-21-2010, 01:50 AM
The only way this day goes worse for the Sox is if they lose a game.
Joe West screws the Sox again.
Sox lose their hottest starter.
Sox have to play a true doubleheader,which rarely means a sweep.
Sox are pitching short.
Sox face the Cy Young winner in a third game in 19 hours.
Have I missed anything?...Yeah, you missed that it's Ozzie's fault. The groundwork for that has already been laid.

Soxman219
08-21-2010, 02:26 AM
This is not fair! No team should ever play 3 games in less that 24 hours, especially a veteran team like the Sox in a middle of a pennant race. We're so unlucky right now it's ridiculous!:angry:

cards press box
08-21-2010, 02:42 AM

Wait a second -- the problem wasn't just that Edwin Jackson pitched to one batter and threw two pitches to a second. The larger problem was that Jackson warmed up in the bullpen before the start to get loose. That happens about 15-20 minutes before the game. And, for Ozzie to put in the Pena/Linebrink plan you propose, he would have had to do that about 10-15 minutes before the starter was supposed to warm up. Add it all up and it's not a question of knowing that rain is 10 minutes away at 7:10. It is a question of knowing what weather is coming about 40-45 minutes in advance, as Ozzie would have had to make the switch to Pena/Linebrink around 6:30 and the rain didn't come until 7:10.

So, it's Ozzie's fault that he wasn't sure what weather was 40-45 minutes away?

Nellie_Fox
08-21-2010, 02:54 AM
So, it's Ozzie's fault that he wasn't sure what weather was 40-45 minutes away?Of course. If it's bad, it's Ozzie's fault. If he misses anything, he's an idiot and should be fired.

Ranger
08-21-2010, 05:49 AM

Absolutely not. Like Jackson said, there probably aren't any managers in the game that would allow a starter to go through pregame warm-ups, throw pitches in an actual game, then come back out for the next day to start again.

By the way, they know it's getting late, brother. Probably better than you do.

And to correct your earlier statement (my apologies if someone else already has), the umpire crew chief makes the decision of whether or not the game starts if it's the final series between the two teams in the city in question. The home team gets the call for all other previous series.

Ranger
08-21-2010, 05:53 AM

I'm sorry, but that's just all sorts of dumb. If you're told the game is starting on time, you're going with your scheduled starter. No manager would try to outsmart and outguess the crew chief. Stop it.

Ranger
08-21-2010, 06:00 AM
Lip,

And MLB needs to knock off this nonesense with FOX and their exclusive rights. There should be a clause in there that come August and September this is out the door to allow teams to not lose critical dates late in the season rather than forcing the season to extend past the scheduled end of the season with make up games.

It's the ****ing Sox vs Royals, how much ratings will FOX lose, honestly:rolleyes:

I agree with you here. It's a pennant race. Stop forcing teams to jump through hoops to get in these games outside this ridiculous FOX window. It is nobody's fault it rained in Kansas City tonight.

My understanding is that KC could -- if they wanted to -- plead their case to MLB to be allowed an exemption to begin the game earlier and still get local TV. They could have asked to start the first game at maybe 4pm if they wanted. It's up to the home team to do that in a case like this.

I really don't think he'd be that unprofessional....I hope.

Don't get your hopes up. He really does suck. He's liek that awful teacher with tenure that seems can never lose his/her job.

kufram
08-21-2010, 06:09 AM
I don't suppose either team is happy with the game times. The pitching situation is faced by both teams. I also suppose whoever starts (or maybe the first reliever if it's early in the game) will be eating innings no matter what happens to them. I think today we need to hit.

Come on boys, we need you now. Could be fun, you know.

LITTLE NELL
08-21-2010, 07:36 AM

I'll never forget a twi-night DH I worked as a vendor in August of 1962.
DH started at 6pm and the temp was around 90 and humid and I was selling cokes like crazy. Around 8pm a front moved through and I've never to this day seen such a drop in the temperture, most of the 2nd game I was selling hot chocalate.

thomas35forever
08-21-2010, 08:11 AM
It's ridiculous, but I guess stranger things have happened in baseball.

soxfanreggie
08-21-2010, 08:25 AM
Damn, this is the first time I have ever missed a double header in my life. WEll both games, I usually sneak in at least one. Work and then gym will probably cut that out tomorrow.

Actually, does anyone know how it's working? Will the starting time be at 10 or so? Or if the first game ends a 945 will there be space for a break or just rush to the next game?

You could always ask if they'll put the game on tv at the gym - if they have TVs and get the channel.

When was the last time two teams played each other three times in a span of less than 24-hours?

When playing travel ball, I played the same team 4 times in 24 hours. That season I also played 4 games in an afternoon evening because of playing on two teams, both having doubleheaderd. Interesting fact, I caught every inning of those 8 games.

A lot harder for an MLB team to play 3 games though.

LITTLE NELL
08-21-2010, 09:43 AM
I went to a straight doubleheader last season vs. Seattle, and it was quite fun to be able to get 2 games for the price of one! I was also at the 19-inning marathon vs. Boston a few years ago...Both games had me at the ballpark for 7-8 hours straight...And I certainly didn't mind it! It was fun! So, for those of you going, have a bunch of fun!

How about 5 games in 48 hours. IIRC the Sox had a series like that on more than a few occasions in the 50s. They would play a twi nighter on Fri starting at 6pm, a 1:15 Sat game and a Sunday DH starting at 1pm.
That did wonders for your pitching staff. For some reason some of those 5 game series were actually on the original schedule, not due to a rain-out.

Viva Medias B's
08-21-2010, 10:26 AM

I always thought that the home team controlled the fate of the game until the lineup cards are exchanged. Then, the fate passed to the control of the umpires.

jdm2662
08-21-2010, 11:15 AM
I always thought that the home team controlled the fate of the game until the lineup cards are exchanged. Then, the fate passed to the control of the umpires.

Already confirmed by Ranger and JB, it's the umpire's call on the last trip for a respective team. This was debated heartly in 2008 when half of this board was accusing the White Sox of sticking it to the fans because of the 10 inches of rain we had one weekend...

Lip Man 1
08-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Got this from an individual in the Sox front office. It does help clarify things (that doesn't mean though the Royals organization still aren't idiots...)

"Since it is our last time in you have no choice but to play two tomorrow. FOX forced the start time to be six due to their exclusive window. What I don't understand is why they didn't request a split doubleheader at noon and 6. Even though KC does not qualify for a split due to their attendance, I'm sure MLB would have made an exception. We really have no say, it's the home team's call."

My assumption is that they had to give themselves a window to play two on Sunday if it rains again on Saturday. Not sure what the statement about qualifing for a split due to attendance means...perhaps Ranger can provide more info? Again to me it's more important to have a quality situation for both teams under these circumstances rather than 'have' to have a game televised.

Lip

chisoxfanatic
08-21-2010, 12:26 PM
[/I][/B]

How about 5 games in 48 hours. IIRC the Sox had a series like that on more than a few occasions in the 50s. They would play a twi nighter on Fri starting at 6pm, a 1:15 Sat game and a Sunday DH starting at 1pm.
That did wonders for your pitching staff. For some reason some of those 5 game series were actually on the original schedule, not due to a rain-out.
Did MLB actually originially schedule two DHs in the same series? Was it typical for Friday AND Sunday DHs at that time? When did they stop doing that?
Got this from an individual in the Sox front office. It does help clarify things (that doesn't mean though the Royals organization still aren't idiots...)

"Since it is our last time in you have no choice but to play two tomorrow. FOX forced the start time to be six due to their exclusive window. What I don't understand is why they didn't request a split doubleheader at noon and 6. Even though KC does not qualify for a split due to their attendance, I'm sure MLB would have made an exception. We really have no say, it's the home team's call."

My assumption is that they had to give themselves a window to play two on Sunday if it rains again on Saturday. Not sure what the statement about qualifing for a split due to attendance means...perhaps Ranger can provide more info? Again to me it's more important to have a quality situation for both teams under these circumstances rather than 'have' to have a game televised.

Lip
What I think it means is that the vendors and other workers would have to hang around the ballpark even longer because of the gap of time between 2 possible split DH games, and KC's attendance numbers wouldn't be able to support the extra wages those workers would be owed.

LoveYourSuit
08-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Not that the past 2 weeks hasn't been a disaster for us, this series here is building up to be a complete train wreck. Our worst starter and then a thin bullpen for game two. Then turn around and face Greinke less than 12 hours later.

If we take 2 of 3, it will be a miracle. Show us something boys. Show us something.

Foulke You
08-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Not that the past 2 weeks hasn't been a disaster for us, this series here is building up to be a complete train wreck. Our worst starter and then a thin bullpen for game two. Then turn around and face Greinke less than 12 hours later.

If we take 2 of 3, it will be a miracle. Show us something boys. Show us something.
It could be our finest hour! An Angels win and a Sox DH sweep today could put us 3 back. I'm trying to think positive. :gulp:

JB98
08-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Lip,

I have to agree with this. It looks like the Cubs are on Fox locally this afternoon. Is there a single Sox fan out there who is going to spend a summer Saturday watching that ****ty Cubbie team? Doubtful.

They could broadcast a Sox-Royals game on CSN at 3 p.m. today, and Fox's local ratings for its game would be exactly the same, IMO.

LoveYourSuit
08-21-2010, 01:47 PM
I have to agree with this. It looks like the Cubs are on Fox locally this afternoon. Is there a single Sox fan out there who is going to spend a summer Saturday watching that ****ty Cubbie team? Doubtful.

They could broadcast a Sox-Royals game on CSN at 3 p.m. today, and Fox's local ratings for its game would be exactly the same, IMO.

I honestly would say the ratings would better.

If the Sox are not on FOX Saturday, I am not watching. Meanwhile, if the Sox are playing, I tend to do some channel surfing in between innings (or when **** starts going wrong in our game) and tend to tune to other games.

LoveYourSuit
08-21-2010, 01:50 PM
It could be our finest hour! An Angels win and a Sox DH sweep today could put us 3 back. I'm trying to think positive. :gulp:

Sure hope the Angels play interested. It almost looks like they have packed their bags already. But I'm not going to be that guy who bitches about the other team playing the the Twins. It's up to the Sox to win, and it was also the Sox who pissed the bed in these past 6 games vs Minnesota.

Tragg
08-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Are they really starting a double header at 6 central?

chisoxfanatic
08-21-2010, 02:03 PM
It is really dumb!

I seem to recall there being a MLB curfew of like 1 or 2 am a while back. When did MLB drop this?

GoGoCrede
08-21-2010, 02:04 PM

Yes. I'm glad, because I work late tonight, so I'll be able to watch the second game. Gonna be tough for our boys, though.

kufram
08-21-2010, 02:11 PM

I see it as an opportunity. KC is facing the same situation we are, you know. Their starters today are 1-2 between them. Maybe KC's bullpen will be the thin one. We have Danks against Greinke tomorrow so I imagine their hitters aren't relishing it.

LITTLE NELL
08-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Did MLB actually originially schedule two DHs in the same series? Was it typical for Friday AND Sunday DHs at that time? When did they stop doing that?

What I think it means is that the vendors and other workers would have to hang around the ballpark even longer because of the gap of time between 2 possible split DH games, and KC's attendance numbers wouldn't be able to support the extra wages those workers would be owed.

There were a lot of quirks in the schedule in those days. A few weeks ago I posted here that the Sox in the late 50s had to endure a 3 week road trip.
I went on baseball reference today and real fast I found two 5 game series.
In 1956 Sox were at Cleveland on June 29,30 and July 1 for 5 games and in Baltimore on Sept 21,22 and 23 for 5 games.
Other quirks were that a team would play an opponent on Fri and Sat and a differant opponent on Sunday.
Back then when it was the 154 game schedule a team played the 7 other teams in the league 22 times, 11 at home and 11 on the road. There were conflicts in September because a lot of the NFL teams played their games in MLB ballparks. The Packers, 49ers, Rams and Eagles were the only ones that played in football stadiums. Maybe this had something to do with all the quirks in the schedule.

JB98
08-21-2010, 02:27 PM
I see it as an opportunity. KC is facing the same situation we are, you know. Their starters today are 1-2 between them. Maybe KC's bullpen will be the thin one. We have Danks against Greinke tomorrow so I imagine their hitters aren't relishing it.

That's a point worth mentioning. Sox hitters will have to deal with Greinke on little sleep, but Kansas City hitters will have to deal with Danks. And Danks has had a better year than Greinke in a lot of ways.

The Sox had a rain-delayed game that went real late on July 7. There was a day game the following afternoon. On July 8, Danks pitched a complete game and the Sox beat the Angels 1-0. I could see that sort of scenario playing out again tomorrow.

roylestillman
08-21-2010, 02:38 PM
It is really dumb!

I seem to recall there being a MLB curfew of like 1 or 2 am a while back. When did MLB drop this?

This is a tougher question to answer than I thought it would be, but the answer that seems to be popping up is that in the AL 1:00 AM is curfew (no inning can start after 1:00AM) but when a club is making its last trip into a city (Like us tonight) the rule is waived.

I've also seen it as 12:50AM, 2:00AM and up to the discretion of the umps. The official MLB rules refer back to league rules which I can't find.

The internets aren't clearing this one up

kba
08-21-2010, 02:54 PM
This is a tougher question to answer than I thought it would be, but the answer that seems to be popping up is that in the AL 1:00 AM is curfew (no inning can start after 1:00AM) but when a club is making its last trip into a city (Like us tonight) the rule is waived.

I've also seen it as 12:50AM, 2:00AM and up to the discretion of the umps. The official MLB rules refer back to league rules which I can't find.

The internets aren't clearing this one up

The American League used to have a 1:00 curfew, but the rule was rescinded several years ago. A few cities had municipal curfews, too (In Baltimore, no inning could start after midnight), but those have all fallen by the wayside.

EdHerman12
08-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Official starting time of second game is...9:40 PM

Quentin08
08-21-2010, 03:21 PM
The Twins-Angels game at 3 is going to be huge! I think the outcome of that game will dictate the mentality of the Sox going into the double header. If the Twins win again today, the Sox will have to win both games tonight just to stay on par with the Twins this weekend. If the Twins lose, we can afford to lose 1... or we can try and take both and gain a game on them this weekend. We need the Twins to lose.. it'll make the marathon tonight seem less strenuous, and it will be give the Sox a better mentality heading into it.

soltrain21
08-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Official starting time of second game is...9:40 PM

We all know the first game is going 13 innings.

johnnyg83
08-21-2010, 04:05 PM
What a joke.

WHy couldn't they play at noon and 6:10?

Nelfox02
08-21-2010, 04:08 PM
The Twins-Angels game at 3 is going to be huge! I think the outcome of that game will dictate the mentality of the Sox going into the double header. If the Twins win again today, the Sox will have to win both games tonight just to stay on par with the Twins this weekend. If the Twins lose, we can afford to lose 1... or we can try and take both and gain a game on them this weekend. We need the Twins to lose.. it'll make the marathon tonight seem less strenuous, and it will be give the Sox a better mentality heading into it.

yes, unfortunatly we are really in a position where we have to rely heavy on others to help our position right now

going into this yesterday I was optimistic we could gain some ground in the next 7 days......hopeful that Minn could go 3-4 or 4-3 best, we find a way to 5-1.......not a good start last night to that plan with Minn cruising and our rain out resulting in this ****ed up DH........

man it would be nice to see us sweep the DH today......

chisoxfanatic
08-21-2010, 04:29 PM
yes, unfortunatly we are really in a position where we have to rely heavy on others to help our position right now

going into this yesterday I was optimistic we could gain some ground in the next 7 days......hopeful that Minn could go 3-4 or 4-3 best, we find a way to 5-1.......not a good start last night to that plan with Minn cruising and our rain out resulting in this ****ed up DH........

man it would be nice to see us sweep the DH today......
If this were the last week of the season coming up, then yes, we'd have to rely HEAVILY on others helping out our position. But, right now, we trail by 4.5 games with 1 1/2 months left, including 3 games at home against them. We have three whole homestands and two whole road trips left after we're done in KC. All the Sox really need to do is take care of their own business and everything should be all right. If they don't win the division, it's their own fault.