PDA

View Full Version : "Unmitigated gall oozes like sludge through the swamp of denial"

ma-gaga
06-26-2002, 10:03 AM
From the Minneapolis Star Tribune. Enjoy! (http://www.startribune.com/stories/506/3016546.html)

duke of dorwood
06-26-2002, 10:12 AM
This coming from a town that is in it's own sludge when it comes to cheering for a player like Randy Moss.

Kilroy
06-26-2002, 10:19 AM
"They act as if one good season -- and a one-and-out playoff appearance -- over the past six years makes them some kind of baseball royalty, even though they have nothing but a run-of-the-mill mediocrity the rest of the time."

The Twins haven't even had that much success, and they act like they **** gold nuggets. Let's just hope that the Sox have found a little focus and hold on to it for a while. A swift ass kickin of the Twins followed by a pounding of the Cub would be a really nice way to jump start things...

Chisox353014
06-26-2002, 10:24 AM
Hey, it's the Minnesota version of Jay Moronotti! And he's just as fugly, too! Well guess what? You can kiss my arse Dan Barrreiririo!
And I'll throw in a hearty Chicago-style F-U as well!

voodoochile
06-26-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
From the Minneapolis Star Tribune. Enjoy! (http://www.startribune.com/stories/506/3016546.html)

Um... "Da' Nile" is a river, not a swamp...

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

PaleHoseGeorge
06-26-2002, 11:14 AM

Hey ma, I thought you said Twins fans didn't have their own website? This fluff reads like the Totally Biased Game Recap from Twins Interactive.

LMAO! This is what sportswriters in Minneapolis are paid to write?

:gulp:

Cheryl
06-26-2002, 11:22 AM
I agree with everything he said in that article.

Clarkdog
06-26-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Cheryl
I agree with everything he said in that article.

As do I. But if I'm Manuel, I post this article in the clubhouse before tonight's game.

It's time to put our money where our mouth is.

THE_HOOTER
06-26-2002, 11:49 AM
I completely agree with everything he said as well.

2000 was a fluke, and all we have gotten from this team since August of 2000 is a lot OF HOT AIR.

This guy has our team figured out to a T.

cheeses_h_rice
06-26-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Clarkdog

As do I. But if I'm Manuel, I post this article in the clubhouse before tonight's game.

It's time to put our money where our mouth is.

I agree.

I forget, though -- did the Twins win the World Series last year, or just the AL pennant? Just checking.

TornLabrum
06-26-2002, 11:55 AM
This guy has our team figured out to a T.

And the denial starts with Lenny who has never made a bad trade he didn't like. :angry:

ma-gaga
06-26-2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
LMAO! This is what sportswriters in Minneapolis are paid to write?

Yeah, Barrerio is pretty bad. I guess every city insists on having a "Moronotti" to incite the local masses on the talk radio circuit. Actually compared to the other Star Tribune writers Barrerio is readable. Sid Hartman is a waste of space, and Patrick Reusse is also garbage. I'm seriously thinking of switching papers to the St. Paul Pioneer Press, but the Tribunes' beat writer, La Velle E Neal, is better than the Pioneer Press's.

This is the "commentary" guy, in otherwords, he doesn't do any real work. He just mocks people that do stuff.

BTW. I'm really starting to like Konerko. :)

CubKilla
06-26-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

I agree.

I forget, though -- did the Twins win the World Series last year, or just the AL pennant? Just checking.

I agree too and neither. LOL. Hopefully, for this guy (and NOT for us), the 2002 Twins pull a 2001 Cub-like flop in the later months of July, August, and September.

FanOf14
06-26-2002, 01:41 PM
I definitely agreed what he said and I agree with a previous poster that if Manual is as cerebral as we are led to believe, he'll post this all over the locker room before each and every game we have left with the Twinkies. Had to laugh that he seems to think that the only non-haughty player is PK.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-26-2002, 02:29 PM
With one big exception, I can't recall anybody on the Sox disrespecting the Twins in the media. Like good competitors, the Sox aren't willing to concede the Twins are better. If they admitted anything to the contrary, they wouldn't be very good competitors, would they?

The exception of course is Ray Durham. I don't know this guy except for what I read in the newspapers, but the perception I get is the guy has NOTHING upstairs. He didn't mean to piss off the Twins, but he's plain too stupid to understand that what he was about to say at SoxFest last winter would have precisely that effect.

:ray
"I'm not too good keeping my head in the game nine innings, either."

ma-gaga
06-26-2002, 03:33 PM
the only non-haughty player is PK.

The problem is that sometimes all you have to go on is the press clippings. And unfortunately some press think it's their job to create a story where there isn't one.

I think this is the case here. Some of us don't get to see or hear the post-game Josh Paul interviews, or hear players off the record, because the standard "respect our opponent" cliche lines get old, boring and don't "sell a lot of ink". This story is great in terms of generating fan interest, albiet a little weak on premise.

For me, this is the downfall of sports (and to a certain extent, society) where the reporting of the news is more important than the actual news itself. But that's a little off topic.

:)

Chisox_cali
06-26-2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla

I agree too and neither. LOL. Hopefully, for this guy (and NOT for us), the 2002 Twins pull a 2001 Cub-like flop in the later months of July, August, and September.

Hell, let's have the 2002 Twins pull a 2001 Twin-like flop in the later months! :D:

MisterB
06-26-2002, 07:37 PM
A few notes:

No matter. Some members of the White Sox still carry themselves as if they are the second coming of the Yankees. They act as if one good season -- and a one-and-out playoff appearance -- over the past six years makes them some kind of baseball royalty, even though they have nothing but a run-of-the-mill mediocrity the rest of the time.

Over the last 6 seasons:

White Sox: 498-472 .513 win%, 1 playoff apppearance
Twins: 433-537 .446 win%, 0 playoff appearances

Since the Twins last went to the postseason (11 years ago), they have finished higher than fourth place only twice. Over the same period the Sox have finished no worse than third place, and saw the postseason twice (albeit briefly). Talk about the pot calling the kettle mediocre.

Nobody is comparing the Twins with the 1927 Yankees.

I've never heard the White Sox comparing themselves to the '27 Yankees either.

In spring training, Ray Durham went out of his way to haughtily dismiss the Twins as basically irrelevant. This quote might have had more resonance if the Sox had not dropped 14 of 19 to the Twins last season.

Does anyone have Ray's exact quote? All I remember him saying was basically, "It's our division to lose.", which it is (was?) :(:

Nellie_Fox
06-27-2002, 02:57 AM
Yeah, Barrerio is pretty bad. I guess every city insists on having a "Moronotti" to incite the local masses on the talk radio circuit. Actually compared to the other Star Tribune writers Barrerio is readable. Sid Hartman is a waste of space, and Patrick Reusse is also garbage. I'm seriously thinking of switching papers to the St. Paul Pioneer Press, but the Tribunes' beat writer, La Velle E Neal, is better than the Pioneer Press's. C'mon, Reusse is a stitch, at least on Joe Soucheray's radio show. The Pioneer Press is a much better paper than the Red Star, so I don't get to read Reusse's column.

ma-gaga
06-27-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
C'mon, Reusse is a stitch, at least on Joe Soucheray's radio show. The Pioneer Press is a much better paper than the Red Star, so I don't get to read Reusse's column.

That's why god created the internet. So Reusse's message can be shared by all (http://www.startribune.com/stories/508/3019572.html)

Jerry_Manuel
06-27-2002, 11:06 AM
That's why god created the internet. So Reusse's message can be shared by all (http://www.startribune.com/stories/508/3019572.html)

The Hawk would have drilled a White Sox hitter, in retaliation for Bob Howry's intentional fastball to the ribs of the Twins' Torii Hunter earlier in the seventh.

Idiot.

As in: Someone would have had a nice bruise if the Hawk had the wiggle room to drill Frank Thomas, Magglio Ordonez or Paul Konerko, as Howry had so plainly done to Hunter.

Sure. Moron.

Hawkins offered a little extra flair of a body turn after that strikeout, although nothing to compare with Valentin's hot-dog flip of the bat after his home run Monday night.

That bastard! How dare he toss his bat! Not like Torii Hunter doesn't do the exact same thing.

Suggestion: If you're coming to the Metrodome this afternoon and decide to have a pool on the Whitey most likely to get drilled, take Valentin.

Bring it.

Chisox353014
06-27-2002, 11:32 AM

So, let me get this straight: Berreiro is the Moronotti and Reusse is the Skippy Clueless of the Minnesota press corps?
All I know is i would like to punch that guy's fat face in after reading that garbage.

Cheryl
06-27-2002, 11:44 AM
What is the deal with calling the team "the whities" ? What a moron.

Foulke You
06-27-2002, 05:00 PM
It seems to me that the Twins AND Indians are acting like a bunch of idiots this year. Remember how the Indians played that "us against them, we don't get no respect from the Sox" underdog crap before we drubbed them at Comiskey? Now we get the same garbage from the idiot Twins? Is it just because our team is from the bustling metropolis of Chicago and it's that small town inferiority complex they have in Minnesota and Cleveland? I don't get it. If anything the Twins and Indians have done more to fire up the Sox acting the way they do.

chisoxfanatic
06-28-2002, 01:17 AM
BTW. I'm really starting to like Konerko. :)

Yea, me too! Every day he's making me love the trading of Cameron more and more. He's a true leader and a good sport! If only we had more players like him!

Maybe we should get Steve Urkel to biologically change Clayton into a copy of Konerko! :D:

Heather the Redbird

Nellie_Fox
06-28-2002, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by Cheryl
What is the deal with calling the team "the whities" ? What a moron. You have to understand it in context. Reusse always calls the Sox "the whities" even when he's being complementary, which he has been. You really need to hear him talk to understand him, which I suppose isn't good for a newspaper writer. He has an every day sports update on a radio show I always listen to, and I look forward to it because he's so damned funny.

ma-gaga
06-28-2002, 03:32 PM
Just some final fuel to this fire. Dan Barrerio's column. (http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/3022879.html) They usually don't write this much about the Twins. I'm a little surprised. Must be a slow week.

Jerry_Manuel
06-28-2002, 04:30 PM
Just some final fuel to this fire. Dan Barrerio's column. (http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/3022879.html) They usually don't write this much about the Twins. I'm a little surprised. Must be a slow week.

Then again, it might not matter. The White Sox are hardly terrifying.

Think again, *******!