PDA

View Full Version : Will Venable steals home. . .

JermaineDye05
08-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Well, in a way.

A BAD mistake by the Cubs today. Yeah, this isn't the year.

Link (http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=11140521&c_id=sd)

gogosox675
08-19-2010, 10:04 PM
I saw this happen today. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was hilarious, but why did the umpire not call time? It seemed to me like it should've been called already, but I'm definitely not an expert on these situations.

Chez
08-19-2010, 10:19 PM
I saw this happen today. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was hilarious, but why did the umpire not call time? It seemed to me like it should've been called already, but I'm definitely not an expert on these situations.

Because no one requested time-out. It's presumptively a live ball. I haven't seen this kind of play since little league.

JohnTucker0814
08-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Because no one requested time-out. It's presumptively a live ball. I haven't seen this kind of play since little league.

It happened sort of in the World Series last year when Damon stole 2nd and popped right up and ran to 3rd because no one was covering. It happens on rare occasions, especially in a run down situation like that. The pitcher wasn't covering home anymore because the play was over. I was pretty impressed that Nady was at home to get the throw as quick as he was. I'm not a fan of the Cubs either, but this has nothing to do with coaching or being a bad team. Sometimes you get out of position... eh.. who cares!

DumpJerry
08-19-2010, 11:25 PM
Which is the dumber Cub move today (Thursday)? This play or this (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2598638#post2598638) move?

I would shake my head and say "my, how the mighty have fallen," except the whole "mighty" thing is missing from the equation in the first place.

08-19-2010, 11:35 PM
GO Padres. It might not be the fault of the Cubs for being out of position but you still have to give credit to Venable and the Padres for playing heads up baseball like they have been all year.

I'm drinking the local kool-aid but this Padres team reminds me of the 2005 White Sox.

Heads up baseball
Dominating their division and league since April
Little national attention and coverage
Success built around defense and fundamental station to station offense
Dominating bullpen and solid 1-5 SP's.

I'm hoping for the same results in the end.

PeteWard
08-19-2010, 11:38 PM
It happened sort of in the World Series last year when Damon stole 2nd and popped right up and ran to 3rd because no one was covering. It happens on rare occasions, especially in a run down situation like that. The pitcher wasn't covering home anymore because the play was over. I was pretty impressed that Nady was at home to get the throw as quick as he was. I'm not a fan of the Cubs either, but this has nothing to do with coaching or being a bad team. Sometimes you get out of position... eh.. who cares!

I disagree. The catcher made a shockingly boneheaded move. He had the ball and should have either called time or at least walked along the baseline towards home so Venable couldn't have taken off and THEN when he neared home, return the ball to to pitcher. Instead he kinda strolls towards the mound and forgets about the runner.

Helluva year they are having. :gulp:

WhiteSox5187
08-20-2010, 01:45 AM

The reason that it happened with Damon in the World Series was because the Phillies were in a shift for Matsui at the plate. What should have happened in that play was the pitcher run to cover third. That was a heads up play by Damon. This was a dumb play by the Cubs, the catcher should have thrown the ball sooner and then go back to the plate. The Cubs checked out about a month ago and it's really showing on the field and with a lame duck manager out there, nobody cares. The Orioles are least fighting for playing time and jobs next year, on the Cubs nobody gives a damn. Even Castro, a rookie, has dogged it in the field at times.

hawkjt
08-20-2010, 07:32 AM
Thome caught the Sox with an open second base due to their shift this week also...not acceptable but it happens. But cubs catcher had a brain fart.

Heard them discussing a writer yesterday on the Score who opined that the Cubs are the most underachieving team in the last 30 plus year based on payroll. I think only 2 teams with payroll over 100 million have finished under .500 and the Cubs might finish 20 games under .500...

Honestly, I did not think there was any way that the Cubs could be this bad with their payroll and pitching...amazing.:D:

TheOldRoman
08-20-2010, 09:04 AM
Thome caught the Sox with an open second base due to their shift this week also...not acceptable but it happens. But cubs catcher had a brain fart.

Heard them discussing a writer yesterday on the Score who opined that the Cubs are the most underachieving team in the last 30 plus year based on payroll. I think only 2 teams with payroll over 100 million have finished under .500 and the Cubs might finish 20 games under .500...

Honestly, I did not think there was any way that the Cubs could be this bad with their payroll and pitching...amazing.:D:20 games under? They have a real possibility of being 40 games under.

fram40
08-20-2010, 09:34 PM
20 games under? They have a real possibility of being 40 games under.

61 - 101? wouldn't that be something?

39 games left. they are 50 - 73 after today's Marmol walkfest. If they finish 12 - 27 they lose 100. 90+ losses seems to be a lock.

slavko
08-21-2010, 12:14 AM
IIRC, the guy in the rundown let himself be tagged before he got back to 3B. If he had gotten back, the base would have belonged to him, not Venable. Can't recall if I ever saw it, but then Venable would have been automatically out. The trick would be to tag the other guy, not Venable, so he had his own brain fart and left the base. He could then be retagged and you'ld have a double play.