PDA

View Full Version : Can we stop with the "baseball execs are always smarter than fans" line?

doublem23
08-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Cubs front office doesn't know the rules, screw up recall to fill Derrek Lee's vacated spot on roster.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/08/snafu-leads-to-fuld-call-up-from-iowa.html

g0g0
08-19-2010, 12:14 PM
No big deal as Colvin used to play 1st base and is a possible replacement for Lee next year. I'd rather Colvin than Nady or Hoffpauier anyways.

pythons007
08-19-2010, 12:39 PM
Words can't describe the stupidity here. What else can the Cubs do to make themselves the laughingstock in MLB??? They really need to demote Hendry, have the assistant GM go out and look for a manager and then fire Hendry after the season. He's a complete boob.

Rohan
08-19-2010, 12:58 PM
How about White Sox front office > several true Sox Fans > Cubs front office?

DumpJerry
08-19-2010, 03:53 PM
When I heard this on The Score today, I almost caused a wreck I laughing so hard.

slavko
08-19-2010, 09:27 PM
When I heard this on The Score today, I almost caused a wreck I laughing so hard.

The sort of mistake you make when you know you're a short-timer and don't have your mind on the job. Expect a clean sweep in the front office to be announced Real Soon Now. It may have already been announced privately.

TDog
08-20-2010, 12:12 AM
Are you suggesting fans know the player transaction rules better than baseball executives? Many fans don't know the game rules.

BringHomeDaBacon
08-20-2010, 09:52 AM
I heard Steve Phillips on the Saturday morning Score show trying to explain the waiver rules. Listening to him and Rosenidiot made my ears bleed. Phillips had NO IDEA how they worked.

white sox bill
08-20-2010, 11:31 AM
I know this isn't quite the gaffe the cubs pulled but a number of yrs ago, wasn't it our own Kenny Williams that misread a fax that confirmed a trade and we ended up getting a throw in player that wasn't who we originally bargained for?? Seems the two names were very similar and Kenny took the one that he wasn't supposed to get.....Sox historians please help

Dibbs
08-20-2010, 11:36 AM
They have all forgotten more than we know. :rolleyes: I hear that every couple days on here.

g0g0
08-20-2010, 01:15 PM
I know this isn't quite the gaffe the cubs pulled but a number of yrs ago, wasn't it our own Kenny Williams that misread a fax that confirmed a trade and we ended up getting a throw in player that wasn't who we originally bargained for?? Seems the two names were very similar and Kenny took the one that he wasn't supposed to get.....Sox historians please help

LOL! Wrong guy shows up. "Who the hell are you??"

guillen4life13
08-20-2010, 01:25 PM

Ah, the infamous Jeff Berry instead of Jonathon Berry gaffe.

Neither did anything at the major league level so it ended up being moot anyway.

TornLabrum
08-20-2010, 01:34 PM

Neither did anything at the major league level so it ended up being moot anyway.

Close. Their last names were spelled differently. One was Berry, and the other was Barry. I forget which was which.

TheOldRoman
08-20-2010, 01:50 PM

Neither did anything at the major league level so it ended up being moot anyway.I don't remember when that happened, but from what people said, KW had the chance to cancel the deal when he found out he got the wrong guy. Instead he said "meh, we'll take him anyway."

doublem23
08-23-2010, 09:43 AM
I don't remember when that happened, but from what people said, KW had the chance to cancel the deal when he found out he got the wrong guy. Instead he said "meh, we'll take him anyway."

Yeah that deal was more about dumping James Baldwin than it was on who we were getting. Jon Berry, the guy the Sox originally wanted, ended up peaking in 2001 when he threw a total of 9 innings in AA, the highest level he ever made, and was completely out of baseball by 2003.

ghostface36
08-23-2010, 10:42 AM
any hardcore baseball fan could know more then any random GM//baseball exec
just because they've got a better job doesn't mean they know more